Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Awaken Forest 01/03/2013 03:54 AM CST
>I was hoping that wouldn't be the case! A boy's gotta dream, eh?

On the other hand, they also teach it. So not only can you fire off your own TM spells for learning, you can set it up to run on it's own for a decent and constant trickle.

If it runs like zombies, you can get a small power bonus with additional mana, but your main punch is coming from TM.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/03/2013 07:40 AM CST
<< The guild's development should mainly be overseen by the development team of the guild's primary skillset. In this case, that is the survival development team.>>

um... dunno about rangers, but the thieves haven't heard from him much since the death of Kalag the black a few years ago when khri was redone. nor have necros since soon after the release of said guild. Nor have we heard from Abasha, around the same time frame.

So who all is on the survival "team"?

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/03/2013 11:21 PM CST

Hi folks, Arctuniol, etc...

As said by arctuniol, scouting sucks at the moment. And if you let it drop to your lowest survival skill like me it sucks even more as now when the 3.0 changes happen I will need to add in 4 ranks of scouting to my 5 weapon ranks for each circle I need (dont need much in the way of survivals anymore but who is counting). It will take me x amount of time to get the 5 weapons ranks (provided I train it more than 2 times a year). And 10x time to train the same 4 ranks of scouting. Most of the areas I hunt have no hunters but me so I cant really use HUNT to train it, which brings me back to scout area which does not move it much, and Running trails. Figure if I run a script I can lock ths skill in about 2 hours of running trails and that will get longer as the skill goes up. So yes scouting is broken badly. It will be the one skill that holds me back from getting a circle in the future. In fact the best way for me to learn it at this point is in a class.

As far as rangers getting help, I wish you folks would go into test and try your beseeches. You might find them improved just a tad. Maybe not good enough yet but they have been tweaked already. Time to check them out and see for yourself.

Then about companions. If I remember right they are ready to be updated and will once the 3.0 mess is all fixed up and running smoothly.... so I suggest as was told to me, you work your animal lore and have your companion out for a while and train it. You might be glad you did. I dont know the full details of whats ready to be put in, but Im pretty sure its better than whats here now. So yes work has been done for rangers but till 3.0 is up and running we wont know much about it. So get in there and test things out and lets get this thing moving in the right direction. I cant wait to have my Dragon or Wyvern companion! HINT! HINT! HINT! ANY GMS LISTENING!

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy pup
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/03/2013 11:47 PM CST
>>Any of you can decide to attempt to become a SIMU GM.

Have in the past (many times actually over the past decade). That is however not the point I feel. Game development and project management for guilds are ran by volunteers. They are awesome people but they have jobs, lives, and they are going to code things that they have a passion for. Kodius working on 3.0 is huge and as I understand, something he inherited but did not leave to die (which lets be frank, when GM's leave with half started stuff, the projects die). Thats awesome. In fact I think the entire current crew of GM's are awesome and do amazing work to boot.

That said a game designer who focuses on DR as their full time job I think is more than warranted. I understand a lot of the money from DR went into making Tiny Heroes and paying for the developers there, but it would be nice to see Simu invest some more of their earnings from their MUDS back into those games even if they are maybe no longer their cash cows.
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/04/2013 12:04 AM CST
<<so I suggest as was told to me, you work your animal lore and have your companion out for a while and train it.>>

actually this will be pretty much useless, as animal lore isn't going into 3.0. you will have the higher of outdoorsmanship or animal lore in 3.0, with the other skill going into your pool.<not sure if animal lore ranks go into lore or survival pool>

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/04/2013 07:58 AM CST
>>Ranger- Our bonus was tweaked 3 years ago, new trails were added around the time P5 came out, and thats about it as far a ranger only ability development. I think before that was our beseeches which were what 10+ years ago?

They JUST added a new Ranger spell and hardly anyone commented on it. You seem to have forgotten that.
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/04/2013 10:24 AM CST
>>They JUST added a new Ranger spell and hardly anyone commented on it. You seem to have forgotten that.

Oh you mean so we could train one of the new magic skills (Yew)?

or do you mean Stampede - a target spell, which is practically useless to most Rangers because, well, see the TM discussion elsewhere?

or do you mean Compost/Carrion - spells we already had (Plague? and Compost?) that just got turned into two spells 1 which acts as a beseech, and the other which uses, you guessed it, TM.

But to play devils advocate, you're completely right! We did just get 3 new spells! So we should be good for another 3 years.

And Pfan, I'm sorry, but until I see a post from Sithix that he isn't chained up to his RL desk, I'm not going to hold my breath.

All and all though, 3.0 is a pretty cool advancement of DR - it just didn't directly benefit Rangers in any way, shape or form, yet. It did fix a lot of broken stuff though.

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/04/2013 11:08 AM CST
>>see the TM discussion elsewhere?

Bite the bullet and just train TM already. It has been years.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/04/2013 11:11 AM CST
>>Diggan

The guild's badly in need of a facelift and has been for some time, no one's debating that, nor dismissing your claim that the guild has a history of promised development that never materializes. It does.

Attitudes like this aren't helping though. You "listed" what you claimed to be ALL the development Rangers have seen over the last few years and asked for a new ability, then I pointed out that you had in fact gotten a couple new abilities just last month. Your response is to insult and dismiss these abilities out-of-hand?

Have a latte and calm down friend. That sort of attitude is not only unconstructive, but it is actively destructive, because it will make any GM working on stuff for Rangers want to pull his hair out. Your personal feelings on the usefulness of recent Ranger development does not negate the fact that they have received a fair amount of active development.
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/04/2013 12:07 PM CST
It's been over five years. If even a fraction of the energy that has been spent gnashing teeth over the whole TM thing was spent training TM this would be a non issue.

Like many dead horses around here bringing it up over and over again does nothing positive.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/04/2013 01:48 PM CST
>> That said a game designer who focuses on DR as their full time job I think is more than warranted. I understand a lot of the money from DR went into making Tiny Heroes and paying for the developers there, but it would be nice to see Simu invest some more of their earnings from their MUDS back into those games even if they are maybe no longer their cash cows.

You pretty much have no idea what you are talking about. Did you know that Simu created a graphics engine for MMOs? It was/is called HeroEngine. They licensed a ton and ended up selling it. They dont need DR income for TinyHeroes. Where do you dig up this stuff?
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/04/2013 02:01 PM CST
Had a post, moved it to the Ranger's Discussions Folders. This is 3.0 Ranger Folder.

All I will say is that I hope Outdoorsmanship in 3.0 means more than it does now. Best of luck in your coding endeavors.

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/04/2013 02:07 PM CST
First of all that was MY list of ranger only improvements your quoting, not Diggan's. If you'd like to point out some ranger ONLY improvements I overlooked feel free to.
Second, Essence of Yew was a fix for making our other warding spells esoteric and thus untrainable for lower magic rangers. Less of a here is a neat new spell because we like you and more of a oops we totally made that skill untrainable to yall.
Third, if you had bothered to read the GM quote I put in then you would know we weren't given "active" development; only enough effort to make our spells compatible with magic 3.0.

You epitomize everything i've been saying. You recognize that we need some development yet tell us to sit down and shut up when we ask for it. If your idea of active guild development is a spell every few years then i'd love to be the GM in charge of your guilds development, you'd still be waiting for the attack verb. And before anyone says anything, yes I know that GMs aren't in charge of individual guilds anymore.

Why in the world does everyone seem to think we are ungrateful for the changes we get? Think of it as you've been standing in the desert for years. You were just given a drop of water. Would you be thankful, extremely, but would you be satisfied?

Note to GMs, can we get our TM spells looked at with regards to being too similar? And maybe some sort of word about compost and our beseech being one and the same. Also is awaken forest supposed to have such a long cool down, it seems a bit extreme.

There has got to be one GM out there who wants rangers building idols of them everywhere so they can be worshiped...
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/04/2013 03:10 PM CST
>>Second, Essence of Yew was a fix for making our other warding spells esoteric and thus untrainable for lower magic rangers. Less of a here is a neat new spell because we like you and more of a oops we totally made that skill untrainable to yall.

If you believe this is the case, then you're grossly wrong.

New Rangers would be able to train warding just fine with lay ward and manifest force well into the ranges where they could also train with advanced/esoteric spells.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/04/2013 09:18 PM CST

alrighty, since i have a newbie ranger <not a new character, but virtually untrained - only circle 14, i'll try to put what i'm seeing for this character in 3.0 into perspective.

TM: yes, i'm able to learn it. Mindlock it in fact. However, its not actually killing things. using EC, stampeed, and devit, as well as analogous spell stra. 20 ranks of tm, and i can't kill a boar. Which in my honest opinion is rather wrong - whereas I can kill boars with melee weapon at that rank, if I hit it enough times.

Another issue in 3.0 is the lack of killing power of bows. I use up and lodge all my arrows <i have 10 arrows, as purchased from the shop>, and i have to resort to killing the thing with my scim because all my arrows are poked into the boar.

This would be discouraging for a new player, which I'm not - but things have to be a bit more friendly to young characters as well. Being actually able to kill stuff that is your level would go far.

this character is able to kill goblin shamans/eels with a melee weapon, boars are lower on the critter scale, and in 2.0 i had absolutely no problem hitting these with other characters - even commoners.

Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/05/2013 05:58 AM CST
<<You can use HUNT on things like the scarecrow, kitten, begger, etc for the first 40 ranks. I believe scout awareness also works Scouting a little bit, too.GENT>>

ya, that's the problem. the cut-off for learning scouting from HUNT <for kitten, scarecrow, etc> is precisely at 40 ranks. And you need 55 ranks as posted to "see" the easiest trail. So... training it from 40 to 55 is pretty rough.

Just tested this when i reached 40 ranks scouting in 3.0.

Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/05/2013 06:45 AM CST
>>um... dunno about rangers, but the thieves haven't heard from him much since the death of Kalag the black a few years ago when khri was redone. nor have necros since soon after the release of said guild. Nor have we heard from Abasha, around the same time frame.

With recent restructuring and juggling of people, the survival team is a little bit anemic, but in that case the Dev Leads will look after your interests. I just wanted to let you guys know we haven't forgotten about you. Once DR3 ships we're going to start doing some planning/&c. with respect to the survival guilds and other guilds that have unfinished projects or things that are in need of fixing or updating.

Right now the entire dev team is focused on getting DR3 out of the door, but that's just the beginning in a lot of ways. We will, at that point, be in the novel position of being able to release new content (or rewrite old gnarly systems), and I know I am not the only who is looking to cross things off of the goals lists for years past.

The other neat thing about DR3 is that it has been a pretty massive crosstraining exercise. So the dev team as a whole is much better situated to Fix All The Things, than we were before.

Melete
Here as he walked by
On the 3rd month of Lirisa the Archer
In the year of the Iron Toad
A nameless Dwarf
In a flash of genius discovered
The fundamental formula for
THE BEARD INTEGER
& cut it on a stone of this bridge
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/05/2013 06:56 AM CST
>>The other neat thing about DR3 is that it has been a pretty massive crosstraining exercise.

This is so true.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/05/2013 12:35 PM CST
>>The other neat thing about DR3 is that it has been a pretty massive crosstraining exercise.

http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2012/2/1/2d36ecbb-4ba7-43e2-bb54-1707eb814fcf.jpg

Not sure how this benefits us.
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/05/2013 12:36 PM CST
I appreciate your comments Melete. It is always good to hear that folks are looking out for you!

GENT
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/07/2013 12:01 AM CST
BSWEET, I think it's worth pointing out that Rangers have a magic system that is getting as much attention as Paladins; in the vein of your comment about Rangers being the only guild not getting any work, remember, Ranger magic is getting overhauled just like every other guilds magics.
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/07/2013 12:03 AM CST
Also, I absolutely LOVE it when people complain that a skill based on a tertiary skillset is useless. LOVE it.
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/07/2013 01:16 AM CST
I am well aware that every guild's spells were "overhauled". Can people please stop pointing out this obvious fact that we've all known for over a year? Im also aware that our "overhaul" was to make our spells compatible with 3.0 and no more.

Now then Ricinus seems to be doing his(?her?) best over the last 3ish weeks to make me eat these words. Sincerely, bless you for that. I look forward to trying out this new spell. Im thinking this is just what I need to help deal with magic tossing creatures in 3.0.
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/07/2013 08:01 AM CST
>I am well aware that every guild's spells were "overhauled". Can people please stop pointing out this obvious fact that we've all known for over a year? Im also aware that our "overhaul" was to make our spells compatible with 3.0 and no more.

Sorry, your point about Paladins was that their primary set is 'more useful'. This seems a strange point, given that Rangers still have an easier time learning the combat suite than Paladins do. Armor wasn't made 'more useful' so much as brought into line skillwise. The extent of the changes to Paladins in terms of spell overhauls and additions seems to be extremely on par with Rangers. I agree you guys need some love, particularly with bringing Scouting into something useful, but think you do have a few cool guild specific abilities. Much cooler than Holy Weapon in anycase.
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/07/2013 08:53 AM CST
No GvG in the 3.0 forums.

Period.

-Raesh

Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/19/2013 08:38 AM CST

I completely agree with you Diggan.
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page