[Request] Smite: The Wet Noodle 12/01/2012 10:39 AM CST
I wanted to create a new thread for this and hijack a thread in combat.

Since recent changes are in place, smite seems to really hit no harder than a normal slice.

With the changes to spell formulas, only fear and charm type spells utilize charisma (i.e not halt, stun foe, etc) and charisma is no longer an active statistic in any defensive contests. With this change Charisma (a core stat for our guild, supposedly) only factors into our soul pool (however this is largely irrelevant with the circle component), Lead (ditto. Size of group and circle are far larger factors from testing on this some time ago. Moderate charisma is nice but hardly needed) and Smite.

Smite is our only non standard verb, which is more important given stealth combat is basically unavailable to us. As someone that is charisma secondary I was dissapointed after the newest round of smite testing. I realize it was bugged and out of control before this, and I'm not saying im comparing it to early 3.0 damage levels, but compared to its usefulness in 2.0, I really dont see it anymore.

In testing against gryphons last night, I was able to kill a gryphon in about 5-6 slices on average with a very heavy 2HE or 7-8 with very heavy HE. When I used smite instead for each attack (keeping balances up with TR) it took the same amount of blows.

After about a two gryphons my pool was spent and I had to wait a pretty significant amount of time to recharge (full soul pool/state) so this is by no means a 'spam' ability and there are definitely limitations to it. It can only be used with certain weapons and only at melee.

I would really like to see the following (some ideas stolen from another poster)

Charisma should play a far greater role in smite damage. The main purpose of this maneuver is to crush an enemy with our holy fervor. I feel while an accuracy bonus is prudent on the ability, it should be mild at best (or perhaps non existent). As an alternative to an accuracy bonus, the elimination or reduction of the standard defense penalty from slice (or other medium strength attacks) might be better and keep in line with our defensive nature.

If left as is, I can see no reason to really desire the use of this ability or build for it, which is sad cause despite the nature of charisma being important to the idea of paladins its not very well supported within the system and you are better off training any other stat generally speaking (more so in 3.0 given the change in spell contests). As a guild full of many very old systems (glyphs, holy weapon) or half implemented ideas (mounted combat...) I feel especially sad.

Keep in mind im not asking for Smite to be a "i win button". No one wants that. Guild balance and combat balance is important, but there should be a reason to use smite, a cost for it, and a semi noticeable effect as a player for strategizing(= around it.
Re: Smite: The Wet Noodle 12/01/2012 11:17 AM CST
If smite can't necessarily have a bigger damage bonus while it still keeps the tohit bonus, it might be interesting to have it bonus Force of Impact and/or stun bonus (not sure if FoI is going to influence stun damage by itself).

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: Smite: The Wet Noodle 12/01/2012 11:21 AM CST
That be an interesting as well, giving it kind of a strategic bonus.

I had an idea where paladins would get a system with various types of smites, and some smites costing more of our pool than the standard ones, and some even causing our pool regeneration to be penalized for a time. One of those smites was a force of impact based smite, which could fall in line there.

Conceptually, I dont see a smite as being 'more accurate'. The flavor text of the ability is one about bringing the pain, and if nothing I could see the accuracy being penalized on it. If the concern is too much damage, then I can see the bonus damage being split between damage and force of impact.

Either way, i think its a SUPER awesome idea!
Re: Smite: The Wet Noodle 12/01/2012 11:50 AM CST
I was not impressed with smite vs. critters either. Of course, I was checking at level so I have no idea if I have a better to hit or not, but I did miss with one when almost all of my regular attacks were hitting.

In 2.0 it is easy to see the difference in CvC (only time I use it except for tough invasion critters) but I suppose the increase to hit made for an increase in damage. In 3.0 those are separate so it is hard to see what if any effect or benefit it has. Further testing with CvC on a character I can barely if ever hit is in order.

As it looks now though, just another tool I probably won't use anymore.

What would be good, if not an increase in damage, would be a better chance at a stun.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: Smite: The Wet Noodle 12/01/2012 11:57 AM CST
>That be an interesting as well, giving it kind of a strategic bonus.

>I had an idea where paladins would get a system with various types of smites, and some smites costing more of our pool than the standard ones, and some even causing our pool regeneration to be penalized for a time. One of those smites was a force of impact based smite, which could fall in line there.

>Conceptually, I dont see a smite as being 'more accurate'. The flavor text of the ability is one about bringing the pain, and if nothing I could see the accuracy being penalized on it. If the concern is too much damage, then I can see the bonus damage being split between damage and force of impact.

>Either way, i think its a SUPER awesome idea!

I hadn't suggested it because I'm not that big of a Paladin player I have two Elothean Paladins, which are fun not sure what I was thinking anymore with two very similar Paladins anyways more importantly to Smite.

I was under the belief that Smite could be a powerful, devasting blow, that maybe was fueled with Soul Pool, but was draining in fatigue, wasn't very accurate in of itself, but was forceful, driven, hurting, to whatever point GMs will allow it to be, with the costs being whatever they need to be.

As far as other Smite options might be cool to see other things too. Later on after initial release.
Re: Smite: The Wet Noodle 12/01/2012 03:20 PM CST
Upon reflection, since accuracy no longer really results in much damage, I tend to think the effect of stuns (which penalize defense, ergo more of your blow lands) arnt going to be as pronounced. While I still like the idea, and think adding more force of impact would be nice, I think in general smites focus needs to be as a damage amplifier, and diminish/remove the accuracy booster.

I think then as a secondary effect Smite could either add force of impact or diminished defensive penalties (or both, with the damage bonus being not super high, but still higher than it is currently).

I've been a big fan of 3.0 but really this is a super big blow. If our guild was frankly better developed I dont think it would be such an issue, and I realize there are other guilds in worst states (Traders) but I really see 0 reason to use this verb anymore or to train any charisma. Charisma no longer effects our spells like it did with Halt, Smite doesnt work very well, and Lead seems to hit its cap pretty easily based off paladin circle so having LOTS of charisma is not a requirement.

I believe Kodius would not leave Smite in this state and I know everything is in flux, so I'm really hoping to hear more about this soon.
Re: Smite: The Wet Noodle 12/01/2012 11:22 PM CST
I agree with Rewyn. They should remove the circle base for smite pool and soul pool and make only charisma count. Lets make charisma worth it!

:P

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Smite: The Wet Noodle 12/01/2012 11:45 PM CST
Well ideally, Endurance would replace level to determine our harness pool, modified by charisma.

But I get your jab sir, well played:)
Re: Smite: The Wet Noodle 12/10/2012 11:17 AM CST
Any updates here from Kodius?

There was some talk about flipping the larger accuracy bonus with the more mild damage bonus.

I've held off on any additional testing until you can confirm something about it has changed, last few times in test taking small samples (50 or so smites, since im limited by my pool) vs similar slices yielded nearly identical hit to miss ratios and similar damage (hard to gauge damage with the new system, so i alternate when i smite and slice on the target to looked for average messaging and the amount of 'spikes' i saw in messaging).
Re: Smite: The Wet Noodle 12/10/2012 12:34 PM CST
Is the programming involved unique to Smite? Would it be easier to tweak and balance if it were brought in line with the new ability stat contest schemes?

Right now only Barbs seem to have any "Power vs. <x>" contests. I feel like Smite could fit in that contest quite nicely, and help round out our combat options some.

Maybe it's a dumb idea for Smite, but regardless, as one of the two guilds whose primary skillset is a combat one, I feel like we should have a Power-based stat contest in our abilities somewhere.

Also, does it still only work with edged weapons? Could it be changed to work with blunts as well, or is there a mechanics/lore-fu reason why that's not an option?
Re: Smite: The Wet Noodle 12/10/2012 12:43 PM CST
Smite (the verb) is a modified version of the medium attack verb (Slice, Thrust, etc) thus it already works off the standard combat contest.

It should not be confused with the Smite Foe Spell.

Honestly this is a place that the spell should be renamed, or the ability. When having a discussion when you bring up Smite its sometimes confusing for non Paladins to understand what your talking about.
Re: Smite: The Wet Noodle 12/10/2012 04:17 PM CST
Still on my list of things to tweak. I'll probably go for a 50% to-hit bonus, 50% damage bonus... versus the 90/10 you have now.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Smite: The Wet Noodle 12/10/2012 04:28 PM CST
That would be fantastic!

Curious, is the smite damage bonus based off the raw damage of the attack (i.e is it worth more on higher damaging weapons?).
Re: Smite: The Wet Noodle 01/06/2013 02:56 AM CST
Any updates on this Kodius? Eager to test it!
Re: Smite: The Wet Noodle 01/17/2013 11:27 AM CST
Sorry to post to this again. I spent an hour yesterday and a few days earlier testing smite again for any tests. After an hour, I really could not discern any difference between smiting and just slicing. This was fighting an at level creature that locks my weapon pretty quickly. I have just short of 50 charisma and in my test I could kill second tier gryphons in 4 slice commands (i would build balance with TR and attacking a secondary gryphon with periodic feints/jabs). Smiting down a creature killed it in the same amount of verbs. At about 90th circle and my charisma I could go through about five gryphons before tanking my smite pool entirely and having to wait (a while) to regenerate it.

I think the switch from 90% accuracy/10% damage to something 50/50 like you had mentioned would be really swell. Wondering if this something you can roll out so we can test it before Saturday? I imagine once saturday hits, you will be flooded with new bug reports and this will be back burnered for a very long time.
Re: Smite: The Wet Noodle 01/17/2013 01:26 PM CST

Yes, please. I meant to ask yesterday when Kodius was in chatter but completely forgot. Smite was one of my favorite abilities so I'm eager to see implemented the change Kodius proposed.
Re: Smite: The Wet Noodle 01/17/2013 02:36 PM CST
I popped Kodius an email (not sure if he reads those though). Just hoping it can be addressed given how quickly some other guild specific balance items have been brought up and squashed very recently.
Re: Smite: The Wet Noodle 01/17/2013 05:09 PM CST
>>Just hoping it can be addressed given how quickly some other guild specific balance items have been brought up and squashed very recently.

I think they get to things whenever they can. For example, I did a little testing with Samsaren (not as much as I'd have liked) that showed RW performing better than the combination of Wildfire, Bear, and Dragon form in terms of pure damage. Barbarians have been wanting a more damaging ability for quite some time now (as we're more suited to it), so I'm sure there's more that goes into it when comparing the speed at which other guilds get stuff.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Smite: The Wet Noodle 01/17/2013 05:24 PM CST

My reference was more pointed at things that cropped up and were slammed within a very short time span, which seemed to have mostly soft data from users and research on the part of the GM. If your doing hard data research, that is awesome. I'm really impressed with how quickly the conversation around eagle went from problem report, to general contribution of the user base (barbarian user base dwarfs the paladin one many times over, so it has that going for it) to a implemented resolution. Thats appreciation, not castigation. I think with the flurry of reported issues in late December which were system wide items made this a low priority item, very understandable. Wide scale balance is the priority and getting 3.0 is key, but with the last few days I really just hope this can be looked at because (and not to sound like a forum snert) the change to the 3.0 combat model has made this function and the underlying Smite Pool system more or less cosmetic.

I adore the work put forth so far and this is not the voice of someone that does not appreciate the effort.

On the RW area, I guess I'm confused. RW only boosts weapon skills and not 'damage'. Your OF value would grow as far as I understand, and it should be directly comparable to Dragon. RW (unless there is some hidden bonus for its spell slot cost) does nothing to 'increase damage'. The only power we have that does that is RuE (which does hardly anything if a weapon is forged, and is otherwise comparable to one of your forms I believe) and HES (which is a normal strength buff and strength not being in our SoI wont give a very good buff). My guess then is the barbarian powers were bugged, in which case those are great fixes.
Re: Smite: The Wet Noodle 01/17/2013 05:33 PM CST
>>On the RW area, I guess I'm confused. RW only boosts weapon skills and not 'damage'. Your OF value would grow as far as I understand, and it should be directly comparable to Dragon.

Kodius said that most of the to-hit abilities that players refer to actually boost ranks or OF, which in turn actually gives a small boost to damage. True to-hit bonuses don't, but I believe OF/rank boosts in turn affect damage.

From my testing with Samsaren, my vitality went down much more when he had up RW than without, and he landed more 'good' hits and even a couple 'solid' hits (he couldn't land those without RW). The people that witnessed it agreed it was noticable, whereas my combination wasn't.

If I can find a Paladin I want to do a much longer test, but I imagine the GMs have a lot on their plate right now and don't want to keep pushing the issue.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Smite: The Wet Noodle 01/17/2013 05:35 PM CST
I would love to help test. I will be on tonight at about 7 PM PST if you want a test subject. I'll toss you my contact info.
Re: Smite: The Wet Noodle 01/19/2013 12:26 AM CST
Smite is now a mixed to-hit and damage and strength bonus. The RTs are now fixed, as is the picking the best attack type to use for the weapon you have. Good luck and let me know how testing it goes.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Smite: The Wet Noodle 01/19/2013 03:12 AM CST
Thank you for letting me test this with you tonight.

I like the results..feels like its hitting harder. I have a question, is charisma playing into the damage/accuracy bonuses, or strictly the size of your smite pool? SMITE HELP seems a bit outdated given it refers to brawling mode.
Re: Smite: The Wet Noodle 01/19/2013 03:23 AM CST
The bonus is entirely based on charisma. It scales pretty well up to and somewhat past 70 charisma, if I recall correctly.

Re: Smite: The Wet Noodle 01/19/2013 05:54 AM CST
>>The bonus is entirely based on charisma. It scales pretty well up to and somewhat past 70 charisma, if I recall correctly.

Possibly stupid question, but why not past 70? Stats can go past 99 in 3.0, so this seems an odd capping point.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Smite: The Wet Noodle 01/19/2013 08:35 AM CST
It goes past 70. I said up to and beyond. Its just a diminishing returns thing. DR lacks floating point and in this case there isn't much bonus left that can be applied by the time you hit 70.

Re: Smite: The Wet Noodle 01/19/2013 09:35 AM CST
>>Its just a diminishing returns thing. DR lacks floating point and in this case there isn't much bonus left that can be applied by the time you hit 70.

Ah, that's much clearer than how it was originally worded, thanks for the clarification.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh