Revised SoI 01/10/2013 02:00 PM CST
I've gone through and systematically re-balanced SoI for all guilds using actual formulas and stuffs. Here's the final list for Necromancers:

Stamina
Reflex
Intelligence

Performance
Appraisal
Mechanical Lore
Scholarship
Alchemy
Outfitting

Thanatology
Skinning
Outdoorsmanship
First Aid
Thievery
Locksmithing
Stealth
Perception
Athletics
Evasion

Sorcery
Warding
Debilitation
Augmentation
Targeted Magic

Brawling
Staves
Small Blunt
Small Edged

Light Armor

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 02:03 PM CST
Performance, haha.

Also, curious as to why Mechanical Lore as a skill is on the SoI lists. Isnt it completely disappearing in 3.0?

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 02:09 PM CST
Yeah, due to some constraints on the lore skill set a few of the SoIs for lore secondaries (And isn't everyone a lore secondary...) are a little odd. Though if you think about it performance COULD be the most important skill ever to a necromancer...

As for Mech Lore, it's in SoI for all lore primary (they get all lore skills) and lore secondaries for now. Once it goes away entirely due to rounding I'd need to remove a skill from the lore set for all lore secondaries, and look at that - Mech lore will be that skill.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 02:15 PM CST
>Though if you think about it performance COULD be the most important skill ever to a necromancer...

Bonfires are good entertainment! Hah

As for Mechlore, that makes sense. Thanks for explaining it.

Elusive
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 02:27 PM CST
My only criticism is that I'm surprised we got outfitting over carving (we get a tech for it) and/or enchanting (at least I feel that it would sound thematically appropriate).

Would be nice if we got one of those instead of performance, at least!

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 02:31 PM CST
what happened to the SOI we supposedly had in Carving <engineering>?

thematically that makes much more sense than performing.

Performing means crowds.

necros are not good with crowds.

Thieves would be the ones with disguises, etc. necros, even the most skilled at it couldn't pull it off <Book thought to hide under their very noses - it didn't work>

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 02:38 PM CST
Lore secondary only get two crafting skills in SoI (See my comment about constraints in the lore skill set making for some slightly odd choices).

Outfitting strikes me as a more survival-ish skill, working with skins and hides and whatnot.

-Raesh

Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 02:44 PM CST
>>Lore secondary only get two crafting skills in SoI

Makes sense. And I know those calls aren't always easy.

>>Outfitting strikes me as a more survival-ish skill, working with skins and hides and whatnot.

Heh, okay. Maybe we can convince Kodius to feel the same way about our default techs.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 03:16 PM CST
i still thinks it makes more sense for us to be bone-carvers than tailors.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 03:19 PM CST

You are bone carvers (hence the bonus technique). However, it makes more sense that you can boost your ability to make basic clothes/armor out in the wild (boost your self preservation-ness). You don't need to boost your bone carving, because you're already good at it.

Least that's how it makes sense in my head. ymmv
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 03:45 PM CST
>>You are bone carvers (hence the bonus technique).

At the same time, I wasn't always a fan of "you get an engineering tech because bones" since I've yet to ever see anything the Philosophers did when it came to bone carving. Any carving Philosophers tend to do are more of the flesh variety, and that would more aptly fall under Tailoring than anything else.

If I had to pick, I'd rather see us get our tech in carving moved to tailoring than our SoI moved from outfitting to engineering.

And just to remove any sense of bias, I'm most likely going to career/hobby in tinkering and have very little interest in focusing on tailoring (or any outfitting, really), so if anything it would theoretically be in my interests to push for an engineering SoI. But it just doesn't seem very thematic to the guild (and I can't say I'm a fan of the "well you guys and bones you know!" trope anyway).

Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 04:25 PM CST
Carving seems more useful to me; being able to make weapons in addition to armor with out town services.
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 07:30 PM CST
SoI to engineering and then have necro specific patterns where you can build constructs such as flesh golems with iron blades for hands etc etc.

Y/y?
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 07:44 PM CST
>>Y/y?

N

-Raesh

Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 08:13 PM CST
Ok. I must have missed something somewhere. What is SoI? Sphere of Influence? What does it all mean?

Elvis has left the building.
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 08:31 PM CST
> Ok. I must have missed something somewhere. What is SoI? Sphere of Influence? What does it all mean?

When you cast a spell that provides a skill or stat buff, the size of that buff is determined by whether or not it's in your SOI. If it is, you get a big buff. If not, you get a smaller buff. The smaller buff is 75% of the larger one.
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 08:38 PM CST
>>What does [Sphere of Influence] mean?

It means how big of a boost you get whenever you cast a buff for that skill/stat.

So far I think the consensus was that In-Sphere yields a 25 point boost to a stat at the cap, and Out-of-Sphere yields a 15 point boost to a stat at the cap. I'm not sure about skills.

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 08:59 PM CST
> So far I think the consensus was that In-Sphere yields a 25 point boost to a stat at the cap, and Out-of-Sphere yields a 15 point boost to a stat at the cap. I'm not sure about skills.

Actually, it's +20/+15. Either they changed it after my first test, or I just screwed up.
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 11:10 PM CST
Thank you all for the explanations, that helps a lot.

Re: Revised SoI 01/11/2013 01:09 AM CST
again, if soi is going to effect how well our spells work, i'd rather get bonus to carving bones than playing a lute if i put up researchers insight.

performance... come to the next necro teaparty and bring your bagpipes...

that's why lyras was killing all those prydaen - catgut for violin strings..

Re: Revised SoI 01/11/2013 02:58 AM CST
>>again, if soi is going to effect how well our spells work, i'd rather get bonus to carving bones than playing a lute if i put up researchers insight.

The answer has not changed in the last 12 hours since the last time you asked this and I answered it.

-Raesh

Re: Revised SoI 01/11/2013 03:31 AM CST

Then I respectfully Disagree with it.

Re: Revised SoI 01/11/2013 04:43 AM CST
>> Then I respectfully Disagree with it.

She is Serious. With a capital S.
Re: Revised SoI 01/11/2013 05:10 AM CST
>>Then I disagree with it.<<

FTFY. I'd put gonif on ignore if it weren't so entertaining.

Re: Revised SoI 01/11/2013 05:54 AM CST
Disagreeing about what the guild should focus on is a legit disagreement, although if you choose to just go along and brownnose, be my guest.

Go play your lyre at the next necro BBQ. I'll be carving your bones. :-)

Re: Revised SoI 01/11/2013 07:01 AM CST
Let's say you're at a buffet.

At this buffet, you get to pick five deserts. You can't have over two of those deserts as cake.

You might want five slices of cake, and because your name is Mr. Cakington it might be thematically hilarious to surround yourself with five plates with a slice of cake on each, but that doesn't mean you get to break the rules of the buffet.

Re: Revised SoI 01/11/2013 07:15 AM CST
The cake example is not the one I would have used, but... you know what, let's roll with it.

-Raesh

Re: Revised SoI 01/11/2013 07:55 AM CST
Just to be clear, SoI affects both spells you cast and those cast on you?
Re: Revised SoI 01/11/2013 08:07 AM CST
Only spells cast by you.
Re: Revised SoI 01/11/2013 09:53 AM CST
>The cake example is not the one I would have used, but... you know what, let's roll with it.

For shame. I never envisioned you as the type to cake on puns.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Revised SoI 01/11/2013 10:13 AM CST
Come on Raesh, you can do batter

- Starlear -
Re: Revised SoI 01/11/2013 10:16 AM CST
>>You might want five slices of cake, and because your name is Mr. Cakington it might be thematically hilarious to surround yourself with five plates with a slice of cake on each, but that doesn't mean you get to break the rules of the buffet.

The cake is a lie.

>>For shame. I never envisioned you as the type to cake on puns.

Oh man, nice!
Re: Revised SoI 01/11/2013 11:12 AM CST
>For shame. I never envisioned you as the type to cake on puns.

This thread just got awesome.

>>again, if soi is going to effect how well our spells work, i'd rather get bonus to carving bones than playing a lute if i put up researchers insight.

I feel a bit for Raesh, having to deal with these types of posts in every 3.0 guild thread. Hah.

Elusive
Re: Revised SoI 01/11/2013 11:32 AM CST
Now we're never going to be able to take advantage of all those carving boosting spells that don't exist.

Re: Revised SoI 01/11/2013 12:23 PM CST

Oh sure, feel sorry for the guy who's contributing to the madness.

But no one ever feels badly for me, who has to read all the posts everywhere.

Let's get back on topic, thanks.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Revised SoI 01/11/2013 03:17 PM CST
>>Now we're never going to be able to take advantage of all those carving boosting spells that don't exist.

Isn't SoI also supposed to have an affect on enchantments?
Re: Revised SoI 01/11/2013 03:38 PM CST
>>Isn't SoI also supposed to have an affect on enchantments?

I initially thought this was the case too, but it seems like it [currently] only manages the effects you can provide by casting spells and using abilities.

"SOI only determines how powerful your spell can be - It's not strictly related to global caps in terms of things like ability bonuses, combat bonuses, etc."

I know that quote also says "ability" and I just said using abilities is managed under SoI, but I'm not sure that's necessarily the case, since Barbarian abilities mechanically count as spells that aren't spells, and I'm sure Khri will function similarly, so yeah. I think "ability" means stuff like predictions, lionize/satirize, and other similar things.

Re: Revised SoI 01/12/2013 03:12 AM CST
Well, I didn't mean the effect the enchantment has on the user. More like it would affect the total potency of the enchantment creation.

If my necro were able to cast PHP on someone else, they would get the bonus from my SoI. Wouldn't it be if I created the enchantment for an item to provide a reflex bonus via spell or whatever, whoever used that item would still receive the SoI bonus? Assuming it was of capped strength, of course, but that's the gist of what I'm asking.
Re: Revised SoI 01/12/2013 04:36 AM CST
someone left the cake out in the rain, but i think i shall not take it because i'll never have the recipe again....

besides, i couldn't carve any bones today, Mr. Book. I was too busy practicing my lute.

Re: Revised SoI 01/12/2013 12:32 PM CST
>>besides, i couldn't carve any bones today, Mr. Book. I was too busy practicing my lute.

Until SoI = guild reqs (aka: never) Book doesn't care. Pretty sure he never asked me about my outfitting and staves, either.