Petrifying visions 12/13/2012 03:30 PM CST
PV doesn't seem to teach debilitation, or at least not noticeably so. This is on a critter that I have no trouble locking debilitation on using burden or heightened pain which are easier spells to cast. I'm also casting them at lower mana than PV which I'm casting at my personal cap.

~Minstrel Ascot, Bladesinger of M'riss
Re: Petrifying visions 12/13/2012 03:34 PM CST
IIRC, you part of what gives debil exp is based on how hard it was to have it work on the mob.

Mobs are probably a lot harder to hit with vs Fortitude than vs Willpower

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: Petrifying visions 12/14/2012 01:00 PM CST
I still can't seem to make any non-cyclic non-TM spell train the corresponding magic skill 'well'. Debil, Aug, and Warding barely if ever moved when running through the full range of Necromancer magics.
Re: Petrifying visions 12/14/2012 01:50 PM CST
>I still can't seem to make any non-cyclic non-TM spell train the corresponding magic skill 'well'.

Well, lets get some more info here. What ranks for Debil, Aug, and Warding? What spells are you casting and at what mana level? What do you think training "well" is? What are you actually gaining per cast?

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Petrifying visions 12/15/2012 10:51 AM CST
Arcane Magic: 426 31% clear (0/34) Attunement: 445 88% dabbling (1/34)
Arcana: 317 32% clear (0/34) Targeted Magic: 334 81% clear (0/34)
Augmentation: 383 29% clear (0/34) Debilitation: 340 87% clear (0/34)
Utility: 319 93% clear (0/34) Warding: 298 11% clear (0/34)

A 30 mana VoD cast on fledgling Gryphons moves Debil 1-2 tics, so that seems alright if a little steep.
A 20 mana PV doesn't move at all.
A 30 mana HP moves 1-2 tics.

So, ok, fair point, with a bit of tweaking it seems I can move Debilitation along if I zap fairly large casts at every critter. I bet casting 25-30 mana VoD and HP on every critter will move Debilitation.

So Augmentation;
A 30 mana PHP doesn't move Augmentation at all.
A 40 mana PHP gives 1 tic.
A 40 mana IVM gives 1 tic.
A 40 mana KS gives 1 tic.
A 40 mana cast of LW doesn't teach at all. (I realize that this may be Warding, not Augmentation?)
A 40 mana cast of MaF doesn't teach at all. (This too?)
So, to me, training Augmentation is incredibly difficult.

A 40 mana WORM and a 40 mana CH does not move Warding at all.
So, to me, training Warding is... not possible?

It seems odd to me that casting spells that last ~15+ minutes that take ~50% of my total harness in a Shining mana room teach at best 1-3 tics, if at all. I guess my difficulties now are only in Warding and Augmentation.

And I understand that 'training' doesn't necessarily mean mindlock in 10-30m; I'm content with skills just moving along with normal routines.
Sorry for the long post.
Re: Petrifying visions 12/17/2012 10:24 PM CST
So... any one else able to train Warding or Augmentation at a reasonable clip?
Re: Petrifying visions 12/17/2012 10:27 PM CST
I do fine with everything but debil, and that's mainly because my debil is a bit too high for my combat level.

Re: Petrifying visions 12/17/2012 10:32 PM CST
>>I do fine with everything but debil, and that's mainly because my debil is a bit too high for my combat level.

I think with the grandfathering, a lot of people are finding that they can't train debil, because it was grandfathered far beyond their combat level.

People starting out with 900 ranks of debil, but only 500's in combats for example would see the same kind of thing.
Re: Petrifying visions 12/17/2012 10:33 PM CST
Note that these results are in Plat.

Warding 501
CH cast at 78 mana (25 prep, 48 Cambrinth, 5 harnessed) is 3-4 ticks.

Augmentation 637
REI cast at 90 mana (20 prep, 70 Cambrinth) is 2-3 ticks

With this, it doesnt take entirely too long to lock either skills.

Elusive
Re: Petrifying visions 12/17/2012 10:38 PM CST
>>Warding 501/CH cast at 78 mana (25 prep, 48 Cambrinth, 5 harnessed) is 3-4 ticks.

481 Warding/MAF at 95 mana (25 prep, 70 cambrinth at 10 each) is generally 3 ticks. Less DO that way!

Re: Petrifying visions 12/17/2012 11:19 PM CST
>481 Warding/MAF at 95 mana (25 prep, 70 cambrinth at 10 each) is generally 3 ticks. Less DO that way!

While that is most certainly true, Ive been using CH since 3.0 hit plat and havent had and DO issues.

Elusive
Re: Petrifying visions 12/18/2012 08:58 AM CST
Wow, you guys are pumping an enormous amount of mana into these spells. I'll have to try that I guess...
Re: Petrifying visions 12/18/2012 09:02 AM CST
ya, i have to keep changing my own REI routine, because what teaches me one day doesn't teach me the next, or causes backfire. i figure once i pass the 500 arcane mana rank i'll do a bit better. Close!

An arisen dummy zombie bellows, "You will all be ssslaughtered!"
>
Re: Petrifying visions 12/18/2012 09:09 AM CST
>>Wow, you guys are pumping an enormous amount of mana into these spells. I'll have to try that I guess...

Once you find out your personal cap things get much easier. If I start to slightly backfire more often than not, I drop two or three mana out of the total prep and coast on that.

Re: Petrifying visions 12/18/2012 09:58 AM CST
Doesn't that more or less tap your entire harness?
Re: Petrifying visions 12/18/2012 10:14 AM CST
Now that I'm thinking about it more, since non-necros may be able to use trans spells, I kinda do want them to be un-releasable (like those Bard rituals are, right?), and require RoC to remove them.

The idea of non-Necros running around stuck with skullheads and bad skin and not being able to do anything about it but wait out of town until they stop looking like hot messes kinda amuses me.

Re: Petrifying visions 12/18/2012 10:46 AM CST
>so if you have business to attend to in justice zones, it's useful.

Yeah I know , but if your playing a well known Necro , that's kind of niche . If your playing with your SO tanked like E , then whats the point ?
Re: Petrifying visions 12/18/2012 10:49 AM CST
>Yeah I know , but if your playing a well known Necro , that's kind of niche . If your playing with your SO tanked like E , then whats the point ?
Well, as I said, training Utility, or, maybe we can get some added functionality to modify RoC at the cost of another spellslot.
Re: Petrifying visions 12/18/2012 11:19 AM CST
>Doesn't that more or less tap your entire harness?

Not so much, using cambrinth helps a lot. Also remember that the lower your attunement the more you regenerate per pulse. I typically hover around 30% when training magic skills.

Elusive