DO Change 12/06/2012 03:24 PM CST
The following changes have been made to acquiring DO through using Animation and Transcendental Necromancy:

1) Duration of the "safety margin" for casting spells from the same spellbook without additional DO increased from 5 minutes to 60 minutes.
2) DO hit for using an Animation or Transcendental spell increased by about an order of magnitude.

Too Long; Didn't Maths - Your maximum possible DO/Time (many spells in 60 minutes) has gone down, your minimum possible (one spell in 60 minutes) has gone way up.

Polite comments are welcome. This will continue to be tweaked as necessary.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: DO Change 12/06/2012 03:30 PM CST
Armifer would you be willing to work with either me or Mortifer to monitor how this will work out for HL necros as we train magic in test?

Markat says, "Pleasant people without moral faults, going to church every week and abstaining from sins such as vanity and zombies. Feh...."
Re: DO Change 12/06/2012 03:32 PM CST
Very interesting, sounds reasonable to me. I will test this as soon as it gets pushed to Plat.

Question, spells like BLB still generate DO per cast? Has the amount they generate changed as well?

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: DO Change 12/06/2012 03:32 PM CST
Without any way to corroborate with math, my only reaction to this is to shrug, nod, say 'Cool', and hope that a single cast of PHP won't require a week of DO drain to get back to baseline. Potentially, this is bad news bears for higher circle Necromancers, but again, that's a statement made without any corroborating math.
Re: DO Change 12/06/2012 03:40 PM CST
In retrospect I don't like the whole radical increase in baseline casting cost.

More news in a little bit as I test another solution.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: DO Change 12/06/2012 03:51 PM CST
Alright, Take 2:

1) Short-term DO gain is back to normal. 5 minute delay between additional gains, same hit as always.
2) In addition to this, there's now a second limit per hour that will shut off DO gain for those spellbooks if reached. Currently it's tuned so that after 20 minutes of casting Transcendental or Animation, or 10 minutes of casting both, will hit the limit and you'll receive no more DO until the hour is up.

This should hopefully be a better solution that does roughly the same thing but doesn't penalize people for only occasionally casting outrageous spells.

-Armifer
Re: DO Change 12/06/2012 04:02 PM CST
Are there any changes to the way DO drains? By my estimate this change will triple the usable lifespan of DO spells which is great, but once you hit that threshold you're still looking at 5 RL days IN GAME to reduce DO back to sub-spell prep change levels...

- Kart / Rhoat
Re: DO Change 12/06/2012 04:16 PM CST
Also, while youre digging around in there any chance you can roll out some kind of Necromometer?

- Kart / Rhoat
Re: DO Change 12/06/2012 04:19 PM CST
>>Are there any changes to the way DO drains?

Nope.

>>Also, while youre digging around in there any chance you can roll out some kind of Necromometer?

I'll give it some thought. I know how I want it to work but it'd be a tad more complex than everything else I'm doing tonight.

-Armifer
Re: DO Change 12/06/2012 04:23 PM CST
What would be cool for a necrometer would be another type of ritual.

perform attune or something like that... that would check how we are impacting the world around us. could need a dead body or not.
Re: DO Change 12/06/2012 04:48 PM CST
>>I'll give it some thought. I know how I want it to work but it'd be a tad more complex than everything else I'm doing tonight.

Thanks - nobody cares in test obviously, but when I start rolling with a zombie 24/7 its going to make a big difference.

Are USOL or VS on the list of DO causing spells does anybody know?

- Kart / Rhoat
Re: DO Change 12/06/2012 04:50 PM CST
>>Are USOL or VS on the list of DO causing spells does anybody know?

I think that the only spell that goes above and beyond evildoom to the point of causing DO outside of those two books is BLB.

At least I'm not noticing any extra DO from USOL and VS, and I've been using them a lot while testing out stuff.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: DO Change 12/06/2012 05:41 PM CST
>> Are USOL or VS on the list of DO causing spells does anybody know?

Pretty sure Armifer said a couple pages back that nothing has changed regarding DO spells except for BLB. So I'd say if it's not BLB, Transcendental spell book, or animation spellbook, it doesn't cause DO.
Re: DO Change 12/06/2012 07:24 PM CST
>>Pretty sure Armifer said a couple pages back that nothing has changed regarding DO spells except for BLB.

Thanks yeah I wanted to assume this, but since USOL is a new spell with 'particularly nasty' effects, and since we had the direct attention of a GM, figured I would see if I could coax a red name confirmation on the issue.

- Kart / Rhoat
Re: DO Change 12/06/2012 07:52 PM CST
<<perform attune or something like that... that would check how we are impacting the world around us. could need a dead body or not.>>

Love this idea.
Re: DO Change 12/06/2012 08:42 PM CST
> I am guessing since its a special stealth attack it is broken with all of the other broken ambush style attack, they are hopefully working on the issue already

It's a good call , but I don't think so. It can be used/tested outside of stealth.
Re: DO Change 12/06/2012 09:26 PM CST
I played around with Vivisection the first day or so on test, I have since forgotten about trying anything further because, well, its rather forgettable. Hopefully it can get looked at, and tweaked around a bit maybe.
Re: DO Change 12/06/2012 11:05 PM CST
We played around with it a bit, too. It's fairly weak, but that's supposed to be intended for balancing. Its not playing well with stealth, however. And from what I've heard, ambush/poach/snipe were working fine, as well.

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/DragonRealms%203.0/Necromancers/view/55