Acid Splash Damage Change 12/06/2012 02:58 PM CST
Hi,

Is there any chance Acid Splash damage can be changed from RANDOM to targets LOWEST armor type? It would give this spell an interesting quirk and at least make it an interesting dilemma on which spell to use for TM. Right now, Acid Splash is just kind of meh. It also seems this would really reinforce the "universal solvent" idea. Automatically targeting the weakness part, cause it's acid and all.

:) Thanks.
Re: Acid Splash Damage Change 12/06/2012 03:05 PM CST
>> Is there any chance Acid Splash damage can be changed from RANDOM to targets LOWEST armor type?

If this is perhaps not doable, perhaps giving the player a choice? Could even break it up into physicals/magic. Or only allow magic. For example, normal is random damage for physicals, whereas you can target any of the elements.

prep acid splash slash

You trace an arcane sigil in the air, shaping the pattern of the Acid Splash spell.
You make a small adjustment to the spell pattern to make it dissolve elements that prevent slashing.

prep acid splash fire

You trace an arcane sigil in the air, shaping the pattern of the Acid Splash spell.
You make a small adjustment to the spell pattern to give the spell fire properties.

Angry hissing accompanies red-hued liquid spraying forth from your palm to form a viridian glob that quickly leaps towards a rock troll.

prep acid splash lightning

You make a small adjustment to the spell pattern to give the spell lightning properties.

Angry hissing accompanies blue-hued liquid spraying forth from your palm to form a viridian glob that quickly leaps towards a rock troll.
Re: Acid Splash Damage Change 12/06/2012 03:06 PM CST
I think those changes would move ACS from an Intro TM spell to at least an Advanced, in terms of power. ACS as it stands is a very nice spell considering its low min prep, and while its not always great against any one target, its also not always bad. I still use it well into 130+ level.

Of all the TM spells in the Necro Spell books, Vivisection is probably the only one I find lacking at the moment. High min Prep and 3 slot cost dont really seem to be worth the ability to TM Snipe, especially with the full vitality damage reduction model.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Acid Splash Damage Change 12/06/2012 03:15 PM CST
>> I think those changes would move ACS from an Intro TM spell to at least an Advanced, in terms of power. ACS as it stands is a very nice spell considering its low min prep, and while its not always great against any one target, its also not always bad. I still use it well into 130+ level.

Well, in 2.0, there's no reason to use ACS over Energy Bolt except for coolness factor. In 3.0 I know that energy bolt is gone, but not sure if its perm learn able by a scroll.

But saying ACS wouldn't be an intro spell does not seem quite fair. There is a ton of intro TM spells that do damage + perks.

Ranger Stampede is an intro spell.
All of the warrior mage intro spells.

Strangely enough, moon mages, clerics dont even get an intro TM spell.

I'm also fine with moving ACS to basic. The other option could be for a metamagic feat to be able to change the ACS properties at will or target lowest damage.
Re: Acid Splash Damage Change 12/06/2012 03:19 PM CST
>There is a ton of intro TM spells that do damage + perks.

There are, and I feel that ACS is one of them.

Elusive
Re: Acid Splash Damage Change 12/06/2012 04:44 PM CST
>>I think those changes would move ACS from an Intro TM spell to at least an Advanced, in terms of power.

Just as a reference point, Footman's Strike kinda-sorta already does this, but only for puncture/slice/impact, and it's a 2 slot basic spell.

For comparison's sake, Acid Splash is randomized, does what I guess might be one or more of puncture/slice/hot/cold/electric in a completely randomized selection, and is a 1 slot basic spell.

>>Of all the TM spells in the Necro Spell books, Vivisection is probably the only one I find lacking at the moment. High min Prep and 3 slot cost dont really seem to be worth the ability to TM Snipe, especially with the full vitality damage reduction model.

I've barely used VIV since 3.0 started, which is a change from it being a basic staple of my poaching training in 2.0

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: Acid Splash Damage Change 12/06/2012 05:39 PM CST
>> For comparison's sake, Acid Splash is randomized, does what I guess might be one or more of puncture/slice/hot/cold/electric in a completely randomized selection, and is a 1 slot basic spell.

Ha. It's already basic. Makes this statement seem completely irrelevant...

>>I think those changes would move ACS from an Intro TM spell to at least an Advanced, in terms of power.

Because Acid Splash is random, meaning it can be good or bad, I consider them to balance each other out. So what we are left with is a basic 1 slot TM spell that outs you as a necromancer.
Re: Acid Splash Damage Change 12/06/2012 06:09 PM CST
Honestly, I think always targeting the lowest resist value seems to be too powerful of a boost. Id have a hard time justifying the use of our other spells if that was available. Personally I am satisfied with the current incarnation of ACS, its balanced, cheap and a great starter spell for low level Necros. Its currently my go to spell for anything with high end Fire or Slashing resistance.

Elusive
Re: Acid Splash Damage Change 12/06/2012 06:15 PM CST
>>Of all the TM spells in the Necro Spell books, Vivisection is probably the only one I find lacking at the moment. High min Prep and 3 slot cost dont really seem to be worth the ability to TM Snipe, especially with the full vitality damage reduction model.

My impression of Viv has been sad throughout test. Think' I've posted as much. Even after repeated , vitality depleted , attacks , the damage is pretty weak. Has anyone gotten one of the Great Old Crit messages from this spell in test? I tried to cast a low level critters for one....
Re: Acid Splash Damage Change 12/06/2012 07:36 PM CST
I am guessing since its a special stealth attack it is broken with all of the other broken ambush style attack, they are hopefully working on the issue already.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.