New Necromancer Spell: Devour 11/30/2012 10:36 PM CST
A new necromancer spell called Devour is hitting the test instance.

It's a multi-shot healing spell that requires Consume Flesh and 50th circle to learn. It is an esoteric utility spell and costs two spell slots. It works similarly to Consume Flesh, in that the consume ritual must first be performed on a dead creature or player to use it, and only one cast is available per dead thing. The spell seeks out your worst injuries and attempts to heal them, so it's just generally cast, not targeted at a specific spot.

Consume flesh is still best if you're trying to heal a specific body part in a hurry, while devour is probably better if you have a bunch of smaller injuries.

Melete
Seyalle: It does involve the beard integer.
Melete: THE BEARD INTEGER??? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Y73sPHKxw
<to be continued...>
Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 11/30/2012 11:05 PM CST
Wow, thank you. I am seriously impressed that you guys turned this out so fast. We were just talking about this on what, the 22nd? Very nice.

Markat says, "Pleasant people without moral faults, going to church every week and abstaining from sins such as vanity and zombies. Feh...."
Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 11/30/2012 11:38 PM CST

+666
Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 11/30/2012 11:40 PM CST
Man, that's awesomely cool.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/01/2012 12:14 AM CST
Awesome - thank you :)

- Kart / Rhoat
Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/01/2012 02:16 AM CST
awesome!

An arisen dummy zombie bellows, "You will all be ssslaughtered!"
>
Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/01/2012 02:35 AM CST
since this spell isn't plat-side yet, i've tried to get a copy-over to try this out,
but it seems nobody is awake at 3 30 am. :-(

::sadpanda::

>
Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/01/2012 02:59 AM CST
and - copied! :-) and now, something i'd never do in the live game, but it was fun!

>cast
You gesture.
Small streams of viridian and copper leap from your outstretched hand, coalescing around the dobek moruryn's body and exploiting the thanatological link. The streams flare a sanguine red, devouring the dobek moruryn's corpse as your own body is mended. You are wracked with pain as your flesh writhes and knits, the crude pattern eradicating each wound and blemish with savage efficiency.
Your body is completely healed.
"Burn her! Burn her!" You hear the cries echo around you as everyone in the vicinity suddenly moves away, giving you a wide berth! It goes without saying you'll be wanted for forbidden practices in Upper Ratha now.
>
You feel fully rested.
>
A torrent of sizzling, bile-green acid sprays outward from you!
"Burn her! Burn her!" You hear the cries echo around you as everyone in the vicinity suddenly moves away, giving you a wide berth! It goes without saying you'll be wanted for forbidden practices in Upper Ratha now.
>
A torrent of sizzling, bile-green acid sprays outward from you!
>
The dobek moruryn crumbles apart.
>
The hiss of bile-green droplets drowns out nearly all other sound as acidic showers erupting from around you soak everything in sizzling wetness!
>
Alternating waves of hot and cold swirl through the area in abnormal patterns as greenish acid falls in a horizontal rain all around you!

sweet usol + devour :-)
>

>
Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/01/2012 10:52 AM CST
WHY ISN'T THIS IN PLAT YET

ALL CAPS BECAUSE HOLY DAMN

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/01/2012 10:53 AM CST
Because I personally hate gnomes.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/01/2012 11:14 AM CST
>>Because I personally hate gnomes.

Sounds legit. :(

Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/01/2012 03:34 PM CST
>>Because I personally hate gnomes.

>>Sounds legit. :(

Yes it does. :D (<-- Very happy face)
Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/01/2012 04:25 PM CST
Am I understanding this right; the spell is effectively the empath spell Heal?
Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/01/2012 04:32 PM CST

Also, messaging is wonky;

You gesture.
Moderate streams of viridian and copper leap from your outstretched hand, coalescing around the critter body and exploiting the thanatological link. The streams flare a sanguine red, devouring the critter corpse as your own body is mended. You are wracked with pain as your flesh writhes and knits, the crude pattern eradicating each wound and blemish with savage efficiency.
A critter nips at the missing limb with its beak. (ok, it's obviously a gryphon)
A critter nips at the missing limb with its beak.
The external scars on your left leg appear completely healed.
The internal scars on your right hand appear considerably better.

So, that was a 40 mana cast, and I have other injuries remaining; I know individual CF casts are supposed to be more effective, but comon, 40 mana to cure two scratches while leaving some behind...

Before cast:
You have some minor abrasions to the right leg, some minor abrasions to the left leg, minor scarring along the left leg, a few nearly invisible scars along the right hand.

After 40 mana cast;
You have some minor abrasions to the right leg, some minor abrasions to the left leg, a few nearly invisible scars along the right hand.

So... Uptweak on it's efficacy a bit...?
Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/01/2012 04:35 PM CST
>>Am I understanding this right; the spell is effectively the empath spell Heal?

Sounds like it.

Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/01/2012 04:56 PM CST
45 mana cast, with ~400 magic nets the partial healing of three scrapes.
I know it's supposed to be less effective than individual casts of CF, but someone with higher magic chime in with more impressive results from the spell? Is this like a FoC level spell? My Empath with ~150 in PM gets better use out of FoC than I anticipate Devour being for my Necromancer with ~400 PM.
Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/01/2012 05:03 PM CST
CF could probably use an effectiveness bump, too. I wouldn't be against that essentially being just having their caps reduced so each point of mana is harder to use/more effective.

Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/01/2012 05:31 PM CST
>>Am I understanding this right; the spell is effectively the empath spell Heal?

Yes, it uses pretty much the exact same mechanics.

>>I know it's supposed to be less effective than individual casts of CF, but someone with higher magic chime in with more impressive results from the spell? Is this like a FoC level spell? My Empath with ~150 in PM gets better use out of FoC than I anticipate Devour being for my Necromancer with ~400 PM.

I tuned it a little higher just now.

But I feel like I must say: there isn't going to be a Necromancer version of FoC or Regen. If that is your yardstick then your expectations are too high. This spell gives Necromancers the exact same healing tools as a permashocked Empath, which seems thematically appropriate to me. Devour isn't designed to make Necromancers beastly at self-healing. It came about in response to the the new combat changes which make getting lots of small wounds more likely, the tedium of having to heal each wound individually, and the fact that you have to cast high to learn in the new model which means that you might have to pack CF with more mana than you need to learn from healing yourself.

It also lets you know if you're fully healed or not, which is another thing we were seeing people have concerns about.

Melete
<to be continued...>
Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/01/2012 05:41 PM CST
Thanks, I was having waking nightmares about healing myself while watching all the random hits I was taking in test compared to 2.0
Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/01/2012 05:46 PM CST
>>Devour isn't designed to make Necromancers beastly at self-healing. It came about in response to the the new combat changes which make getting lots of small wounds more likely

This is why I was hoping for something like it, so thanks :)

Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/01/2012 05:47 PM CST
>>Thanks, I was having waking nightmares about healing myself while watching all the random hits I was taking in test compared to 2.0

It might change at much much higher levels of critter combat, but CH + SV does a good job of keeping you above the vit threshold that prevents you from taking physical damage, too.

Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/01/2012 06:10 PM CST
Yeah, I certainly don't expect it to heal as well as an Empath, but I am glad to see it bumped up, thanks Melete.

Out of curiosity, since it will be useful for healing unseen wounds and lots of little scratches, will this be applicable to infection? I haven't had to deal with a bad infection, but I wager this will be an effective way of quickly and effectively curing all wounds on a body and riding it out?
Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/01/2012 06:23 PM CST
> This spell gives Necromancers the exact same healing tools as a permashocked Empath, which seems thematically appropriate to me.

Yeah that seems like a reasonable model. I think devour will be a good time saver, particularly if you have an infection with no visible wounds. I hate having to go through and cf every internal location.

Markat says, "Pleasant people without moral faults, going to church every week and abstaining from sins such as vanity and zombies. Feh...."
Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/01/2012 06:27 PM CST
>>effective way of quickly and effectively curing all wounds on a body and riding it out?

It will at least let you know when you're fully healed so that you don't think you're done only to have that slightly tender internal arm wound suddenly causing your arm to fall into the punchbowl at Xerasyth's evil tea party.

Melete
<to be continued...>
Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/01/2012 06:35 PM CST
Speaking of xerasyth, when will we be seeing him again? Will it be in our new guild on p4....ya know the one for us vile necromancers? Speaking of Vile, think it would be a possibility a while after 3.0 is implemented to get some titles other than Necrolord? and the circle related titles? Vile being one I've been thinking I wanted for quite some time. Theres also a few bone elf related titles I think would be cool, which obviously you'd have to be an elven necromancer to get...

Anyway totally off the subject but yeah....not sure it deserved its own thread.
Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/01/2012 06:37 PM CST
We need a spell called Xerasyth's Evil Tea Party. Like Glythtide's Gift, only it summons evil tea and evil cucumber sandwiches.

Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/01/2012 06:37 PM CST
With the caveat that I am neither the Necromancer guild Advocate nor on the Events team, I would be very surprised if Elanthia has seen the last of Xerasyth. However, discussions of Xerasyth or more guildhalls or titles or whatever will have to move to the main Necro folders or Annwyl will leave my cake out in the rain.

Melete
<to be continued...>
Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/01/2012 06:40 PM CST
But where are we on the spell? You guys are churning em out pretty fast, so we can expect to be summoning evil tea in what... An hour? Two?

Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/01/2012 07:35 PM CST
For some reason, this strikes me as a job for GM Raesh.

Melete
<to be continued...>
Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/01/2012 07:37 PM CST
That depends. What exactly does this tea party do? And, sure, 1-2 hours... given that I have to leave for work in a little under two hours, if I skip breakfast... sure.

Sounds like a plan.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/01/2012 07:45 PM CST
Well, if we're getting creative...

Xerasyth's Evil Tea Party could produce a number of delightful effects for the casting necromancer. Such as:

- Fragrant teas that restore mana and come in collectible china cups decorated with frolicking zombie bunnies
- Elegant "finger" sandwiches that restore vitality, but only when nibbled daintily
- 5% chance that the caster will receive a fancy hat that blocks mental attacks, which are quite uncouth in the presence of fine company, for the duration of the tea party. The hat would, of course, be very tiny.

Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/01/2012 08:22 PM CST
>Well, if we're getting creative...

Xerasyth's Evil Tea Party could produce a number of delightful effects for the casting necromancer. Such as:

- Fragrant teas that restore mana and come in collectible china cups decorated with frolicking zombie bunnies
- Elegant "finger" sandwiches that restore vitality, but only when nibbled daintily
- 5% chance that the caster will receive a fancy hat that blocks mental attacks, which are quite uncouth in the presence of fine company, for the duration of the tea party. The hat would, of course, be very tiny.

I approve this message.
Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/01/2012 09:23 PM CST
<<It also lets you know if you're fully healed or not, which is another thing we were seeing people have concerns about.>>

This. With no longer being able to use ROC to have an empath see your wounds, this is going to make Devour incredibly useful.

>
Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/02/2012 04:39 PM CST
>> This. With no longer being able to use ROC to have an empath see your wounds, this is going to make Devour incredibly useful.

My 2.0 necro is around 15th circle now. I've gotten a couple of infections and using CF to cure 5 abrasions has been tedious at best. I haven't even been into a position with hidden wounds where I had to cast at every body part, so I consider myself lucky.

I'm REALLY excited for the devour spell.
Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/03/2012 06:35 AM CST
I rolled a change that will hopefully fix the weird messaging when a body part on a dead critter is destroyed by CF or Devour. Let me know if you're still seeing the "falls to the ground grasping its face" or "nips at its missing X" type message still.

Melete
<to be continued...>
Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/03/2012 04:03 PM CST
Color me surprised! I was not expecting anything that would make Necro Healing easier, but this is certainly nice.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: New Necromancer Spell: Devour 12/03/2012 07:11 PM CST

NP . I'll email them later tonight . Or tomorrow .