Can cast BLB
-BLB wrecks, great spell
Can't cast VS at all, even with buffs
Can't cast USOL at all
Zombie I made with IVM up was terrible
Couldn't cast SRE from forsaken smite death
Raw Channeling + RoC + First Tier spell FTW
Re: Spell difficulty and other oddities 11/25/2012 12:00 PM CST
VS is actually Advanced, its listed wrong in the guide (with a few other spells)
USOL is Esoteric, likely to require a ton more PM to use.
CFB Zombie skills are set by TM, modified by mana used. Try casting at Potency 130% with IVM up.
SRE should no longer work when killed by Gods or Smite Evil.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Spell difficulty and other oddities 11/25/2012 03:00 PM CST
>>3.0:
>Can cast BLB
>-BLB wrecks, great spell
>Can't cast VS at all, even with buffs

BLB got easier to cast. VIV got harder. Effects per mana appear the same.

The current state , I mean that because this is still a test, solidifies BLB being more useful . It's a lot to pay for 2 secs. Hide, prep/target BLB , cast, hide again<2 secs>. The target will see who you are anyways. It's a neat idea , but VIV does too little damage. At the end of the day , people will just use BLB for PvP.

In PvE Im currently doing more damage with ACS snap casting it .

Im not complaining though because
>-BLB wrecks, great spell
Re: Spell difficulty and other oddities 11/25/2012 03:07 PM CST
I thought snap casts were nerfed in 3.0?

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Spell difficulty and other oddities 11/25/2012 03:12 PM CST
Im prepin' the spell , targeting immediately and casting immediately. This way ACS is burning through the quartz Gargs I usually hunt. It's not teaching anymore however.
Re: Spell difficulty and other oddities 11/25/2012 03:13 PM CST
Idea to make VIV more useful, perhaps:

Initial cast the same, leaves effect on target for X duration. While still in effect you can cast VIV again even if the target has left the room to either:
A) Bring you to the room if close enough and (or, if that's too outlandish)
B) Just deal VIV damage again.

Casts while not in the same room would work against the duration of VIV on target, eating up portions of time for each use.
Re: Spell difficulty and other oddities 11/25/2012 03:14 PM CST
>>It's not teaching anymore however.

That's because you're hunting over your head.

Snap casts still function fine if you overpower the target, but you shouldn't be able to snapcast at-level that successfully anymore.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: Spell difficulty and other oddities 11/25/2012 03:18 PM CST
IMO, it would be cool if VIV specialized in high vit damage and low physical damage. Alternatively, giving some kind of "vivisected" marker on the target that lets NR work more effectively once the mob is killed (with the assumption that the wounds are more scientifically applied and less brutal.. so repairing them could be easier).

I'd just like a go-to spell option when I want to make something into a zombie.

Re: Spell difficulty and other oddities 11/25/2012 03:25 PM CST
I have to hunt gargs for weapons. So yeah. But at the level of success/success , snapped vs. fully prep'ed. VIV does very little damage in comparison. The other aspects of Viv don't seem worth the mana use.
Re: Spell difficulty and other oddities 11/25/2012 03:53 PM CST

>IMO, it would be cool if VIV specialized in high vit damage and low physical damage.

Oh man, this, this this this. The description of the spell even includes something that suggests it should be doing this;

>The Vivisection spell is one of the most deadly in the Necromancer's arsenal. The ability to flay a target with none the wiser of who cast the spell, and even to remain in hiding after a cast, is something no other magicians have ever been able to master. *Additionally, this spell is useful on corpses to assist in harvesting from them.*

Re;USOL: I had trouble keeping it going for very long as well, but I think that's due to the frequency of pulses. I can definitely lock TM using it, though yes, it does appear to miss more frequently than casting other spells fully targeted would.
Re: Spell difficulty and other oddities 11/25/2012 04:11 PM CST
I'd be worried a little bit more about actually making VIV worth using, rather than making it a staple spell to create a zombie. I always thought of VIV being a DFA type attack if you passed the perception check. Doubt something like that would ever be added so maybe we should just be concentrating on getting the damage potential boosted up a bit for now.

I always thought of siphon vitality being a good spell to harvest a corpse with. Not in its current form but rather than actually doing significant bodily damage it would more just suck the life from them, perhaps give them a dissected look that would function like like heavy external and internal scarring or something. Maybe there could be other effects but i'm not sure how willing anybody would be to implement something else, like say a critical hit takes a decent chunk of vitality and makes the target gain more RT for a short time because of the fact their lifeforce was just plucked from their body making them weak.
Re: Spell difficulty and other oddities 11/25/2012 05:55 PM CST
>>Re;USOL: I had trouble keeping it going for very long as well

Keep in mind that if you have an issue with it now it might not be the case in the long run.

With enough attunement skill mixed with the deep attunement and efficient channeling you'll be able to run it fine in the long-term.

Right now I'm personally at the stage where I can run USOL at 15 in a radiant+ room without ever having to turn it off. I can even toss out a VS time to time if I want. I'm sure there are necros with more magic skill than me who can do even better.

Re: Spell difficulty and other oddities 11/27/2012 02:18 PM CST
TEVESHSZAT is 100% correct. As you get more skilled, you'll have a much easier time using USOL, which should be the case given it's difficulty to cast. And yes, keep in mind that it cycles at a MINIMUM of 15 mana, and often. This will hurt nearly anyone's pool unless you are super huge. But with mid 300's in magic, I can cycle it fine using an orb, casting VS, HP, or whatever else I need during that time.

This spell is pretty much a "I need to kill everything quickly spell" And if used at minimum prep will (or should not) harm your zombie (constructs are another story). Play around with it a bit more after getting deep attunement and the channeling feats. I'm sure you'll see it's potential.