How do Bonus Pools work 01/18/2013 11:57 AM CST
I'm sure this has already been covered but can someone point me at a post or page to read about it?
I'm curious how bonus exp works, specifically why you wouldn't want to just turn them all on at all times.
Also, how much faster will you learn when you have them turned on?
Re: How do Bonus Pools work 01/18/2013 12:02 PM CST
I don't have a post at hand, but I can summarize. Bonus pools double your learning rate: a pulse of experience causes your ranks to increase by twice as much when your pool is on. Bonus pools have no effect on how quickly you reach mind lock when training or how quickly you pulse back down to clear; they only change how much you get from each pulse.

The only reason to turn them off is if you don't want to waste them on a particular skill. Maybe I really like Heavy Edged, but right now I'm sitting around listening to a class on Slings, because it's all I could find. I don't want to waste my Weapon bonus pool on Slings, so I turn it off.
Re: How do Bonus Pools work 01/19/2013 03:23 AM CST
Ok learned some things, but please refute if they are incorrect.

Turning on your bonus pool experience will double the drain rate at which you learn skills
I can think of situations where you would want to pick and choose when to use it (such as when you are logging out and expect to get 100% rested) but maybe in high level cases it makes sense to leave it on
Bonus pool experience does not expire until it is used up
The way to interprit "24 empty skills to 200 " is not that you have 4800 ranks of bonus experience, but you basically have a real lot. (it's not linear)

Thanks for the help Socharis!
Re: How do Bonus Pools work 01/19/2013 04:06 AM CST
>Ok learned some things, but please refute if they are incorrect.

>Turning on your bonus pool experience will double the drain rate at which you learn skills

Close but no. The bonus pools are more like shadow experience that doubles what you gain from your normal field pool when it turns into earned ranks. Your field pool drains at the same rate exactly like normal, but with each pulse of drain you also get an equal number of bits from your bonus pool.

>I can think of situations where you would want to pick and choose when to use it (such as when you are logging out and expect to get 100% rested) but maybe in high level cases it makes sense to leave it on

No, the time to drain your field experience isn't changed. Turning the bonus pool on or off is entirely about having some control over which skills you want the bonus pool's bits to end up in, as Illiena pointed out above.

>Bonus pool experience does not expire until it is used up

Correct.

>The way to interprit "24 empty skills to 200 " is not that you have 4800 ranks of bonus experience, but you basically have a real lot. (it's not linear)

Correct. Each numerical rank takes more bits than the rank before it. It means that you have enough bits in the bonus pool for that skillset to take 24 new skills starting from zero and bring each of them to rank 200.

>Thanks for the help Socharis!

Agreed :)

~ Player of Farman et al.