Prev_page Previous 1
slower kill = more money? 01/14/2013 02:06 PM CST
I noticed that the kills are going to take much longer to get... that's going to make it hard to make money at the current rate of the economy... any plans to increase drop value / rate?
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/14/2013 02:06 PM CST
>>that's going to make it hard to make money at the current rate of the economy

That's one of the points. Money is generated far too quickly currently.
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/14/2013 02:14 PM CST
Yeah, we're very intentionally not increasing income from kills - It's absolutely ridiculous how much people are earning in 2.0, and slowing down combat is one way we're dealing with that. It wasn't the main reason we decided to slow down combat, but it's an important effect.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/14/2013 02:14 PM CST

great... those with lots of plat currently will be sweeping the next several auctions and those who just came back are SOL. also, how will xp gain compare?
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/14/2013 02:17 PM CST

Those with lots of plat currently are already sweeping current auctions every time. So how does this really affect anything.
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/14/2013 02:18 PM CST
>great... those with lots of plat currently will be sweeping the next several auctions and those who just came back are SOL. also, how will xp gain compare?

If the old rate continued it would be even worse. Because those with lots of plat currently would be able to still earn lots of plat, and probably do so faster because they were higher level.

Experience learning rate is fine. You're attacking just as quickly and learning about the same per attack, you're just killing less.
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/14/2013 02:18 PM CST
>>sweeping the next several auctions and those who just came back are SOL

Yeah, it's true, but the other option was to let it run rampantly out of control forever, which we didn't really like either. By the time a returning player's built up a good nest egg, chances are really good that those auctions will have happened already anyhow, so those huge earners will have spent their wad of cash.

>>how will xp gain compare?

Experience is something that we've spent a lot of time balancing, and from what people have reported, exp gain in combat is very reasonable. Keeping the experience rates compelling was the most important thing in my book - If you can't level up, you're reduced to hoarding money to maybe buy things later, which is a lot less fun.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/14/2013 02:19 PM CST
>>how will xp gain compare?

From what I can tell 3.0 experience is better - from a combat perspective.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/14/2013 02:20 PM CST
>>great... those with lots of plat currently will be sweeping the next several auctions and those who just came back are SOL.

This is not a reason to recognize a problem within the game's economy.

It's also bizarre to believe that you'd be on par with those people if only drop rates went up. That would only work if drop rates were raised and those already wealthy people didn't also take advantage of those rates. It's just not something I believe is likely to take place.

What is most likely to happen is that, with a reduced amount of money going into the system, the amount that top end auction items go for may be reduced, but they'll still go to the same general people who were earning the top amounts of coins to begin with.

Total money may end up reduced, but it's not like wealth disparity will shift any.

>>also, how will xp gain compare?

EXP gain is fine.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/14/2013 02:43 PM CST
Has xp for skills that require dead critters (Skinning, Thanatology, Box Popping) gone up?
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/14/2013 02:45 PM CST
>>Has xp for skills that require dead critters (Skinning, Thanatology, Box Popping) gone up?

I wouldn't include box popping on that list (other than perception), since disarm and lockpicking are combining.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/14/2013 05:36 PM CST

>Yeah, we're very intentionally not increasing income from kills - It's absolutely ridiculous how much people are earning in 2.0, and slowing down combat is one way we're dealing with that. It wasn't the main reason we decided to slow down combat, but it's an important effect.

The only aspect of this that I'm remotely worried about is locksmithing, in 2.0 a top tier locksmith can hold their own against a top tier skinner for income, but in 3.0 where kills are taking 4 to 5 times as long, every single one of those kills is money for a skinner, but only about 20% (the rough box drop rate I've worked out over the last 5 years) would be a gain for a locksmith.

I just can't help but wonder if that imbalance will be addressed at all.

Obviously its pretty hard to gauge the real impact without 3.0 being live for several months, but I hope someone at least has this in mind to keep an eye on.

Also maybe I'm wrong to assume that most characters seem to do either boxes or skinning and rarely both at level? If so I guess it's just me then.
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/14/2013 05:41 PM CST
>>The only aspect of this that I'm remotely worried about is locksmithing, in 2.0 a top tier locksmith can hold their own against a top tier skinner for income, but in 3.0 where kills are taking 4 to 5 times as long, every single one of those kills is money for a skinner, but only about 20% (the rough box drop rate I've worked out over the last 5 years) would be a gain for a locksmith.

I don't think this is a problem. Imagine that in DR2, 100 kills takes you 5 hours (let's say). Of those 100 kills, you get a skin worth 500 copper each, for a total of 5 plat. At a 20% box rate, you're getting 20 boxes, and the assumption is in DR2 a locksmith and a skinner can hold their own, meaning those 20 boxes are worth 5 plat in total as well, or 2500 copper per box.

Imagine that in DR3, 5 hours only gets you 50 kills. This only nets you 50 skins, which is 500 copper * 50 or 2.5 plat. You also get a 20% box drop rate, which is 10 boxes. Each box was previously worth 2500 per box (and box worths haven't changed in 3.0), so that's 2.5 plat still.

--

Re: slower kill = more money? 01/14/2013 05:41 PM CST
>>The only aspect of this that I'm remotely worried about is locksmithing, in 2.0 a top tier locksmith can hold their own against a top tier skinner for income, but in 3.0 where kills are taking 4 to 5 times as long, every single one of those kills is money for a skinner, but only about 20% (the rough box drop rate I've worked out over the last 5 years) would be a gain for a locksmith.

And every single kill under 2.0 is money for a skinner and only 1 in 5 is money for a box picker.

The ratio doesn't change at all between them if you slow down the kill rate.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/14/2013 08:50 PM CST
To reiterate, then:

Has experience for skills that require dead critters (Skinning, Thanatology) gone up?

With Thanatology getting grandfathered to a higher level and becoming a primary skill, its going to be much harder to train no matter what happens.
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/14/2013 09:52 PM CST
>>Has experience for skills that require dead critters (Skinning, Thanatology) gone up?

Not yet. That said, I don't feel skinning needs it all that much. Thanatology does unless you really invest in using arise instead of preverse and/or harvest.

I've been circling in the 100s fine, but I don't tend to lock thanatology.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/14/2013 09:55 PM CST
>>Has experience for skills that require dead critters (Skinning, Thanatology) gone up?

There was a thread about Skinning experience, but I'm not sure that it went anywhere. I never thought about Thanatology, but that is a great point. I think both of them need to be considered.

GENT
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/14/2013 10:48 PM CST
They'll be increased, we'll shoot for pre-launch but I can't promise.

--

Re: slower kill = more money? 01/15/2013 04:47 PM CST
I anticipate increasing the experience earned by skinning/thanatology a bit to compensate for the slower kill rates.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/15/2013 04:53 PM CST
Any chance of boosting the exp gain from scraping as well?

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

Numbers didn't change. Words changed. Words don't matter. Numbers all that matters.

--GRIM45
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/16/2013 12:59 PM CST
Yes, but the skinner didn't have to leave combat for 30 minutes to open the boxes while only training one skill. Instead the skinner spent 5-10 seconds and remained in combat. The opportunity cost of opening boxes is much greater, not to mention the risks involved. Would be nice if the reward from boxes could be adjusted to reflect this.
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/16/2013 01:37 PM CST
>>The opportunity cost of opening boxes is much greater, not to mention the risks involved.

The risk isn't as great as it was in 3.0. Some stuff can use some adjusting still, but not all boxes are instant death sentences. I haven't tried intercessor-level boxes, but boxes that would kill me in 2.0 haven't in 3.0. I think it's just due to the increased amount of vit people have in 3.0.

It would be cool if boxes someday used the same formulas/mechanics as damage in combat, though.

>>Would be nice if the reward from boxes could be adjusted to reflect this.

The rewards are adjusted. Critters that drop 5-10 silver via coins/gems tend to give 10-25 silver via coins/gems in boxes

Re: slower kill = more money? 01/16/2013 01:57 PM CST
>>It would be cool if boxes someday used the same formulas/mechanics as damage in combat, though.

Yeah, I would like to get a lot more systems onto the combat core as far as damage goes, because it makes it so things are consistent.

In general, though, even in 2.0 boxes weren't strictly worse than hunting. They had a niche, and the fact that they were dangerous is a good thing. We won't be upping the danger of boxes right now, but if/when we engage with the combat damage mechanics we'll likely see some revisions.

--

Re: slower kill = more money? 01/16/2013 01:59 PM CST
>>In general, though, even in 2.0 boxes weren't strictly worse than hunting.

You sir make funny.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/16/2013 02:15 PM CST
> The rewards are adjusted. Critters that drop 5-10 silver via coins/gems tend to give 10-25 silver via coins/gems in boxes

If you're saying that you can make more plats per hour hunting a box dropping critter (and opening the boxes) than a skinnable critter that are at the same level, then I have to disagree. Add to that the opportunity cost of leaving combat to open boxes and only learning one skill instead of the 15-20ish you can train in combat, boxes are WAY behind skinning. Even without the risks of dying in 3.0, I still think the payout of boxes needs a dramatic increase to be worthwhile.
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/16/2013 02:29 PM CST
>>Add to that the opportunity cost of leaving combat to open boxes and only learning one skill instead of the 15-20ish you can train in combat, boxes are WAY behind skinning

This. This is what I don't like about our current skill training arrangement.

Since combat is the hub of all learning, systems that are only usable outside of combat are largely unloved and unused. Because of this, nobody wants to develop systems that can't be used/trained outside of combat, and so we end up with stuff like HUM, which works great while you're doing anything but attacking, and added yet another skill to the combat routine instead of making the skill interesting and fun to use (granted, I think that was more or less impossible to DO with Vocals, which is why it's now Performing). Our goal shouldn't be "How can we make combat an even better way to spend your time" - Combat already gives you experience AND money. Our goal should be "How can we make other things as rewarding as Combat so there are more experiences available to more people?".

In general, things are shifting toward a model where you get experience in a more adventurer/fantasy-realistic way - From doing things an adventurer might reasonably do. We want to move away from a world where retreating from combat so you can forage rocks is the best and most compelling way to train outdoorsmanship - There should be no reason for an adventurer to be running away from a goblin so he can make a neat little pile of grass and re-engage. That is absurd, and the fact that we reward it right now is a combination of decade-old game design principles and a very narrow and mostly useless skill definition. Since DR3 brings skills that are much more right-sized, we can bring abilities into the fold that take advantage of these skills in compelling, interesting ways that make the game fun rather than a grind.

Sorry to soapbox, but this discussion was going to spiral into a discussion about box training habits anyway.

--

Re: slower kill = more money? 01/16/2013 02:38 PM CST
>This. This is what I don't like about our current skill training arrangement.

I agree with you here. However since you usually have to choose between box dropping critters and skinnable critters at the higher end, why do you think anyone would choose locksmithing over skinning? If you make the rewards from boxes more substantial, you've motivated people to get out of combat in a meaningful way, which seems to be your goal.
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/16/2013 02:50 PM CST
>>If you're saying that you can make more plats per hour hunting a box dropping critter (and opening the boxes) than a skinnable critter that are at the same level, then I have to disagree.

It's not all about maximizing plats per hour for me.

That said, given the new treasure drop model which equalized the player field, if I really wanted to maximize plats per hour, I'd hunt something that only dropped coins/gems instead of spend valuable time skinning. I'd avoid any skinnable/treasure dropping mob unless I could get perfect skins because my lack of getting those skins would reduce my overall treasure output. If I wanted to maximize the box treasure multiplier, I'd skip anything that gave skins since that would detract from my box potential payout.

>>Add to that the opportunity cost of leaving combat to open boxes and only learning one skill instead of the 15-20ish you can train in combat, boxes are WAY behind skinning.

Ehhh... it's not like I can't train multiple lores/survivals/magics outside of combat.

>>Even without the risks of dying in 3.0, I still think the payout of boxes needs a dramatic increase to be worthwhile.

That said, I wouldn't be against boxes having a bonus to incidental drops or something.

>>Sorry to soapbox, but this discussion was going to spiral into a discussion about box training habits anyway.

For what it's worth, the Work Order system alone has made not wanting to strictly be a combat class and not shoot yourself in the foot as a result much more viable.

Re: slower kill = more money? 01/16/2013 02:51 PM CST
What are the chance of locksmithing taking from the crafting model, with 3-7 steps taking a 3-10 seconds (reduced time and steps with skill vs difficulty) with a significant portion of the random element removed and trap components and locks becoming useful pieces of the treasure?

Identify (box)
Disarm (box) with (tool)
Disarm (box) with (tool)
Disarm (box) with (tool)
Harvest (box) with (tool) [optional]
(Store item)
Analyze (box)
Pick (box) with (lockpick)
Turn/Push/Pull (lockpick)
Pull (box)
(Store (metal) lock, placeable on a container, saleable, or useful for meltdown/dismantling)
Open (box)
(Get treasure)

Of course you need a skillcheck included as well, so a minimum skill is required for dificulty of box. Lockpicks (and other tools) should degrade like crafting tool.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

Numbers didn't change. Words changed. Words don't matter. Numbers all that matters.

--GRIM45
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/16/2013 02:54 PM CST
>>I agree with you here. However since you usually have to choose between box dropping critters and skinnable critters at the higher end, why do you think anyone would choose locksmithing over skinning? If you make the rewards from boxes more substantial, you've motivated people to get out of combat in a meaningful way, which seems to be your goal.

Could always make it so that people have to prepare pelts/parts/bones/etc before selling them.

/trollface

Re: slower kill = more money? 01/16/2013 02:55 PM CST
This could be a mjor source for tinkering components.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

--GRIM45
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/16/2013 03:04 PM CST
> Could always make it so that people have to prepare pelts/parts/bones/etc before selling them.

You could take this even further and say that skins are a crafting material like mined metal, and as such the proper way to convert them to money is to use them in a workorder.
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/16/2013 03:06 PM CST
>That said, I wouldn't be against boxes having a bonus to incidental drops or something.

This would be a great way to make boxes more worthwhile. Increase the rate at which scrolls and treasure maps appear in boxes.
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/16/2013 03:16 PM CST
>combat is the hub of all learning

I think the reason this is the case is because it's so difficult to level without combat, even for guilds who aren't thematically combat guilds. Moon Mates and Empaths should be able to level without ever stepping foot in combat. But I think the only way to do that is to listen to classes a lot, or get boxes from another player.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/16/2013 03:26 PM CST
It would be really refreshing if you could make out of combat exp gains more significant. With the idea of hubs, it be nice if taverns and other central RP areas if certain guilds could maybe listen to two classes (maybe with a 25% exp penalty to each). Basically some way to make out of combat training a bit more efficient without making it a amazing tool to go AFK script in a private room with a partner.
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/16/2013 03:56 PM CST
>But I think the only way to do that is to listen to classes a lot, or get boxes from another player.

I think this is actually a pretty important point; one of the things that initially attracted me to Moonies was that they had non-combat options. I like that DR offers more than just climbing a critter ladder, and only in the last year or so have actually started getting interested in pushing characters up the critter ladder. More options (crafting, I'm lookin' at you!) for non-combat advancement strikes me as a very good thing for the less combat oriented guilds.
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/16/2013 04:06 PM CST
>>You could take this even further and say that skins are a crafting material like mined metal, and as such the proper way to convert them to money is to use them in a workorder.

My understanding is that commodities 3.0 is actually going to handle the buying/selling of materials, so this wouldn't necessarily be the case then.

Re: slower kill = more money? 01/16/2013 04:29 PM CST
Weird. I feel like I'm the only one who trains out of combat. There is tons of non-combat skills I would not give up.

1) Mech
2) Foraging / Perception (I'm not going to retreat in combat)
3) Climb/swimming
4) steal
5) Scholarship

Hmm, looking at that list i probably spend about even time in/out of combat but learn about 15 skills while I'm in combat versus 5 out of combat.
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/16/2013 05:15 PM CST
>>This. This is what I don't like about our current skill training arrangement.

I would like to see more incentives for being out of combat. I feel there are many issues that make training out of combat less appealing:

1. Roundtimes are significantly higher for OoC training. 10-60 seconds to read a compendium page, 30 seconds to study art, 10-30 seconds for crafting, 10-30 seconds for foraging.
2. Skills like Stealing, Climbing, and Swimming chain you to certain areas. I have to sit in a mine to learn Climbing or Swimming. It takes around 60 seconds to get there and back to town, not counting the time it takes to train.
3. Many out of combat activities only train a single skill. Stealing for instance, I have to spend 15 minutes running around an entire province, and only learn one skill. I then have to wait an hour to do it again.

When I'm in combat, I can learn over 10 skills with zero roundtime. 15-20 with roundtime, none of which are over 5 seconds. You get the picture. Additionally, for NMU's, there is almost no reason to leave combat, because you really have no other skills to train.

I think with some tweaking, it is possible to make being out of combat just as appealing with regards to skill training:

1. Bar more activities in combat, not just while at melee. If there are critters in the room, you shouldn't be able to forage or collect.
2. Decrease roundtimes for activities out of combat. There is no reason I should have to sit through 30 seconds of roundtime to learn one skill. It is simply not fun.
3. Create more training opportunities that are nearer to socializing spots. I shouldn't have to sit in a mine shaft by myself to learn Climbing. Again, it really isn't fun.
4. Make activities teach more skills, where reasonable. Stealing should train Stealth just as well. Right now I have to be in combat to learn Stealth, Scouting, and Perception. There is no reason for me to leave.

I think there are many opportunities to make out of combat activities more appealing and to incentivize socializing. I think we need to start by loosening restrictions and increasing rewards for being out of combat, and then tighten up on combat activities.

I know these changes (to combat learning) won't be popular, but I think there are just too many incentives to staying in combat 24/7. I think it will be better for the community as a whole to change this.

GENT
Re: slower kill = more money? 01/16/2013 05:17 PM CST
> More options (crafting, I'm lookin' at you!) for non-combat advancement

I think survival needs more out of combat stuff, if you want to be a total non combat character.

One solution is to start requiring out of combat stuff from every guild, to balance requiring combat stuff from every guild. They were very careful to make it so nobody was required to craft to level, and I think that was a mistake.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Prev_page Previous 1