Armor conversion 01/18/2013 08:04 PM CST
Wasn't sure where to post this and combat seemed closest to the subject.

Store-bought mesh handguards - In prime they appraise as heavy plate, in the test instance as brigandine.

I've always worn plate on my hands while wearing chain everywhere else. Extra protection for the hands seemed like something a bard ought to do as a concession to his/her livelihood. Because of that, my HP ranks are my second best armor and within 80% of LC. In the test instance, because the plate handguards converted to brigandine, I'm seeing a significant hindrance bump. I carry LC gloves for those times when any extra hindrance can mean survival, so it's not going to mess anything up if I have to find new plate-level hand protection.

Just wondering if it was intended that some 2.0 heavy plate items become brigandine instead of plate?

Meigs

Here's the 2.0 and 3.0 appraisals on the off chance it might help:

The handguards are heavy plate.

The handguards look like they offer protection for the following areas:

right hand
left hand

You feel certain that a pair of mesh handguards appear to impose fair maneuvering hindrance and light stealth hindrance, offering:
very good protection and very high damage absorption for puncture attacks.
high protection and very high damage absorption for slice attacks.
moderate protection and very high damage absorption for impact attacks.
very good protection and very high damage absorption for fire attacks.
moderate protection and very high damage absorption for cold attacks.
poor protection and very high damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only wearing a pair of mesh handguards you could expect your maneuvering to be minimally hindered and your stealth to be minimally hindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently lightly hindered and your stealth is fairly hindered.
You are certain that the handguards are of average construction, and is in good condition.

The handguards are made with metal.
You are certain that the handguards weighs exactly 50 stones.
You are certain that the handguards are worth exactly 67 dokoras.

The handguards are brigandine armor.

The handguards look like they offer protection for the following areas:

right hand
left hand

You feel certain that a pair of mesh handguards appear to impose fair maneuvering hindrance and insignificant stealth hindrance, offering:
very good protection and very high damage absorption for puncture attacks.
high protection and very high damage absorption for slice attacks.
moderate protection and very high damage absorption for impact attacks.
very good protection and very high damage absorption for fire attacks.
moderate protection and very high damage absorption for cold attacks.
poor protection and very high damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only wearing a pair of mesh handguards your maneuvering would be minimally hindered and your stealth would be minimally hindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently somewhat hindered and your stealth is somewhat hindered.

You are certain that the handguards are of average construction, and is in good condition.

The handguards are made with metal.
You are certain that the handguards weighs exactly 50 stones.
You are certain that the handguards are worth exactly 67 dokoras.
Re: Armor conversion 01/18/2013 08:07 PM CST
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Armor:Pair_of_mesh_handguards

>>Type: Neutral Plate
is the important part.

They app as HP to you because your HP is higher than LP. But neutral plate will be brigandine IIRC.

tl;dr: Works as intended.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Armor conversion 01/18/2013 08:43 PM CST
Thanks, I've had these for probably ten real life years, so if I ever knew they were neutral plate, it's been long forgotten.

Meigs
Re: Armor conversion 01/18/2013 09:04 PM CST
Welcome to the vault of old things that hopefully become valuable, gloves.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

Numbers didn't change. Words changed. Words don't matter. Numbers all that matters.

--GRIM45
Re: Armor conversion 01/18/2013 09:08 PM CST
Ugh... can't wait for the ELIMINATION of neutral and heavy/light armors. Such a pain in the butt.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes