Parrying missiles 01/10/2013 06:26 PM CST
Hey, just wanted to ask if we could get a confirmation on whether or not this is happening? I sure hope it does, unless you want parry deprecated to a useless skill again which is what I thought 3.0 was supposed to address.

If it is, what kind of penalty will we take to effectiveness? Will skill-set placement determine the size of this penalty? Seems like it should, given how armor works. IMO, if it does go through, the penalty should be something reasonable that makes it worth using.

If not, is this the role of defending? How much does defending influence blocking? Does defending skill influence hindrance when armor x is more than 10% lower than evasion, or whatever arbitrary number the penalty starts at? Can we get some approximate numbers here? It's so hard to tell when the combat messaging gives almost no relevant information about close contests vs complete denials.

tanx

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Parrying missiles 01/10/2013 07:04 PM CST
>>combat messaging gives no relevant information about close contests vs complete denials

This is something that I hope gets looked at post 3.0 release :) Like if I roll a critical failure at dodging a rat it'd be really awesome if the messaging reflected that somehow :D

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Parrying missiles 01/12/2013 11:03 AM CST
>>Hey, just wanted to ask if we could get a confirmation on whether or not this is happening? I sure hope it does, unless you want parry deprecated to a useless skill again which is what I thought 3.0 was supposed to address.

Nope, I decided parry will remain completely and utterly useless. Try something else.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Parrying missiles 01/12/2013 11:09 AM CST
The combat messaging does indicate how close you came to success on attacks and defense attempts. You barely dodge, you completely fail to dodge, etc. The ferocity of the attack messaging also changes depending on how skilled of an enemy you are fighting.

Now a critical failure only looks like you barely failed. I chose not to resurrect the inane critical messaging because you'd be seeing it much more often and most of it isn't gramatically correct.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Parrying missiles 01/12/2013 11:38 AM CST
>Nope, I decided parry will remain completely and utterly useless. Try something else.

Lets try a polite request:

Will Barbarians/Paladins still retain the ability to parry ranged weapons. And with the current combat plan, would you consider adding abilities/spells that would allow parrying arrows and/or spells?

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Parrying missiles 01/12/2013 12:35 PM CST
Also, if paladins and barbarians retain the ability to parry missile weapons, is there any consideration to allowing those guilds (more others) or parry beyond engagement rages (i.e parry the missile vs the 'shot').
Re: Parrying missiles 01/12/2013 02:49 PM CST
>The combat messaging does indicate how close you came to success on attacks and defense attempts. You barely dodge, you completely fail to dodge, etc. The ferocity of the attack messaging also changes depending on how skilled of an enemy you are fighting.

There might need to be some tweaking done on this messaging, still. It is messaging partial blocks and parries but is treating them like complete blocks and parries.
Re: Parrying missiles 01/12/2013 02:52 PM CST
>>It is messaging partial blocks and parries but is treating them like complete blocks and parries.

IIRC, this is because the parry/block/evade portion was a partial, but the other defenses made it a full.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Parrying missiles 01/12/2013 02:59 PM CST
While I think parrying from missle range should be feasible. I don't think it should be in any way efficient.
Re: Parrying missiles 01/12/2013 03:10 PM CST
> While I think parrying from missle range should be feasible. I don't think it should be in any way efficient.

Evasion?

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Parrying missiles 01/12/2013 10:57 PM CST
>Nope, I decided parry will remain completely and utterly useless. Try something else.

Wow... I'd hate to ask anymore questions when trying to understand the changes of 3.0 if this is going to be the response.
Re: Parrying missiles 01/12/2013 11:20 PM CST
>Wow... I'd hate to ask anymore questions when trying to understand the changes of 3.0 if this is going to be the response.

Considering how the original question was phrased, I cant really fault him for it.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Parrying missiles 01/13/2013 04:08 AM CST
> Considering how the original question was phrased, I cant really fault him for it.

Text is difficult to read emotions from. And I read Gorteous' question and it didn't seem in any way deserving of a response as it got.
I know I have a hard time putting my thoughts and such in text without someone else assuming that I'm being pissy or got an 'attitude' when I'm completely far from it.

He answered in a second post but the first post of the GM was completely uncalled for, IMO.
Re: Parrying missiles 01/13/2013 07:39 AM CST
Should we get the vapors for you? You seem deeply concerned.

Player of Ryken
---
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." ~ Doug Larson

AIM - RykenDR
Re: Parrying missiles 01/13/2013 08:05 AM CST
>>Text is difficult to read emotions from.

It goes both ways. I think your reading more into Kodius's post than is meant.

>>the first post of the GM was completely uncalled for, IMO.

Considering the attitude and demands that he's been dealing with on the forums for the past 2+ months I don't think anything was said that was out of line. Gort's one post may not of been excessively rude (but was rude IMO) but his posting style, and how he's been demanding of changes, I'm sure has weighed on Kodius's, and other GM's, patients.

You need to remember that the majority of the GM's are volunteers, and see little to none of the money you pay to play this game. If you (general) are rude or demanding to them, they have no real inclination to be nice to you. They may even decide that dealing with the few bad customers isn't worth their time, and stop coding.
Re: Parrying missiles 01/13/2013 12:32 PM CST
Agreed on the OP's combative tone. Could've easily stopped at the first sentence.

>>Text is difficult to read emotions from.

I think when you play a text game you're expected to be a little more cognizant of your approach to written communication.
Re: Parrying missiles 01/13/2013 12:44 PM CST
>I think when you play a text game you're expected to be a little more cognizant of your approach to written communication.

About half of the IG players and 1/5th of the forums posters write like they failed 3rd grade math, let alone english. So I don't expect much any more.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Parrying missiles 01/13/2013 06:07 PM CST
Durr, in any event I'll look into parrying missiles at pole/melee. Guys just need to lighten up a bit with the posting. And folks need to brush up on sarcasm :/

Re: Parrying missiles 01/13/2013 10:13 PM CST
<3