Aim/Attack (BODYPART) 01/06/2013 06:34 PM CST
Hi,

I am curious how attacking/aiming a body part works in 3.0. In 2.0 if you aimed for a bodypart you generally either 1) miss or 2) do a lot less damage. So it was generally worthless for killing things. The only time I ever used it in 2.0 was to cycle through critter bodyparts to keep them alive for training.

Why not move aim/attack (bodypart) to a separate combat roll? Gemstone did something similar in that it used the AMBUSH skill to determine whether the bodypart was hit, and then all of the tohit/damage mechanics. You could even do something interesting like tying it to Perception/Athletics/Tactics, or some combination of some such.

Mostly I'd just like it to be a viable option. It would present some really great choices if its effective to attack a creatures arm to force him to drop his shield/weapon, or knock him down, etc. In 2.0, it just doesn't seem effective.
Re: Aim/Attack (BODYPART) 01/06/2013 06:43 PM CST
I've found attacking specific bodyparts to be incredibly useful in 3.0, far more than in 2.0 for the record.

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Aim/Attack (BODYPART) 01/06/2013 07:22 PM CST
>>I am curious how attacking/aiming a body part works in 3.0. In 2.0 if you aimed for a bodypart you generally either 1) miss or 2) do a lot less damage. So it was generally worthless for killing things. The only time I ever used it in 2.0 was to cycle through critter bodyparts to keep them alive for training.

The chest, abdomen and back are the easiest to hit (minor penalty for called shots), but also have a damage penalty to prevent people from exploiting this fact.

Arms, legs, eyes, etc. They all have an OF penalty when you attack them, but no damage penalty. If you have the skill this generally means you can have some fun with de-limbing opponents. Opponents have a lot more vitality now, and should live through losing a few limbs.

In the long run I'd like to do this a bit differently, so each "area" has its own to-hit %s, rather than an OF penalty. It is just a bigger project than I have the time for right now.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes