Iron Constitution 12/07/2012 09:48 PM CST
I was under the impression that this spell was supposed to be a damage reduction spell like calcified hide, or cage of light but I'm not noticing it activating at all. Based on the description I thought maybe it only worked on harder hits so I went to a different critter and nearly died without ever seeing it trigger. Is it not functioning or is there just no messaging?

~Minstrel Ascot, Bladesinger of M'riss
Re: Iron Constitution 12/07/2012 10:15 PM CST
You may not be casting it powerfully enough for it to kick in. It's a spell you will want to pack as much mana and potency as you can into, to get the most mileage out of it.

Let's say that damage goes from 1 to 30. If you cast iron constitution, it sets a value between 1 and 30 based on the spell's potency. So if you cast it and it sets the value at 20, any hit that is over 20 is reduced to 20. Or if you cast it at 10, any hit that is over 10 is reduced to 10.

It is working for me, but if you are casting it very low, it may not 'trigger' often because you're not being hit hard enough for it to kick in.

This is what it looks like

Your skin gleams with an adamantine sheen!
* Driving in like the irresistable force of a cyclone, a s'sugi malchata lashes its jagged-edged claws at you. You attempt to evade, moving almost completely out of harm's reach. The claw lands a solid hit to your left arm.
[You're battered, extremely imbalanced with opponent overwhelming you.]

Melete
Here as he walked by
On the 3rd month of Lirisa the Archer
In the year of the Iron Toad
A nameless Dwarf
In a flash of genius discovered
The fundamental formula for
THE BEARD INTEGER
& cut it on a stone of this bridge
Re: Iron Constitution 12/08/2012 10:05 AM CST
Okay, tried again with potency and hard hits in mind.

> spell stance
>Your spell Potency is currently at 130%.
>Your spell Duration is currently at 100%.
>Your spell Integrity is currently at 70%.

>Life Magic - 140.29
>Attunement - 135.50
>Augmentation - 124.89
>Debilitation - 110.55
>Utility - 104.67
>Arcana - 99.36
>Warding - 98.12
>Targeted Magic - 7.05

Prepared IC at 15, charged cambrinth to 11 for a total cast of 26 which seems to be my limit.

Stood in shaggy black barghest with highest defense of 33 evasion and only IC up while they beat on me.

Hits:
1 - Hard
4 - Strong (IC activated once)
3 - Heavy(IC activated twice)
1 - Very Heavy

After that I hit HEALME and had to leave before I died.

I guess it's just not a terribly useful spell until you can pump a lot more mana into it. Hunting and getting hit at level, or even somewhat above level (tried in rams/arebelogs until I died) doesn't get hard enough hits for it to activate at lower mana. Does it have a higher circle req like 50+? I didn't notice that mentioned anywhere.

~Minstrel Ascot, Bladesinger of M'riss