Bardic armor in 3.0 01/15/2013 12:38 PM CST
This is a theory question I guess, but what armors look good for bards in 3.0? Any reason to use HP or Brig? Or would you want to cap out with light stuff? Chain?

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Bardic armor in 3.0 01/15/2013 12:41 PM CST
I recommend Barbarians.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Bardic armor in 3.0 01/15/2013 12:42 PM CST
>>Any reason to use HP or Brig? Or would you want to cap out with light stuff?

...I actually can't make heads or tails about who should use what armor and why in 3.0 :P

I know mixing as an armor tert is very bad in 3.0, but assuming you go pure Heavy Plate, I'm not sure if that is good/bad.

I -think- armor effectiveness is in part measured by your opponent's offensive skill versus your armor skill, so having armor tert probably affects that as everyone learns weapon skill faster except for Empaths, Traders, Moon Mages and Necromancers.

I also believe that armor effectiveness is in some part related to your armor skill versus your evasion skill, but since we also learn Evasion at a tertiary rate I'm not sure if that really has any meaningful bearing in this case.

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Bardic armor in 3.0 01/15/2013 01:20 PM CST
>>I know mixing as an armor tert is very bad in 3.0, but assuming you go pure Heavy Plate, I'm not sure if that is good/bad.

>>I -think- armor effectiveness is in part measured by your opponent's offensive skill versus your armor skill, so having armor tert probably affects that as everyone learns weapon skill faster except for Empaths, Traders, Moon Mages and Necromancers.

>>I also believe that armor effectiveness is in some part related to your armor skill versus your evasion skill, but since we also learn Evasion at a tertiary rate I'm not sure if that really has any meaningful bearing in this case.

Hindrance is also a big issue, and I would think that for Armor Tert the negatives from hindrance outweigh the damage absorption that HP would provide. I also seems like the goal is to allow armor ranks to scale up more, so lower levels of armor skills (since we're learning at a tertiary rate) means something like HP won't be as effective, overall. Higher armor ranks decrease hindrance up to the minimum based on skillset (Teritary for us), which is higher than before but we're still dealing with the fundamentals of being an Armor Tert guild.

I think all of this argues in favor of Light Armor overall for us. Or Chain. I don't think anything heavier than that is wise.

~~
Lupdels
Re: Bardic armor in 3.0 01/15/2013 01:29 PM CST
Tears + Hodernia's Lilt + Heavy Plate might make a nice little tankmonster.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Bardic armor in 3.0 01/15/2013 01:32 PM CST
<<having armor tert probably affects that as everyone learns weapon skill faster except for Empaths, Traders, Moon Mages and Necromancers.>>

I don't think thats necessarily true. I think how much you learn armor is largely dependent on your play-style in combat. My Necromancer has both armor and evasion much higher than my thief who trained more stealth for years, whereas my necromancer danced more out of hiding to train TM in combat.

so accordingly if you have a more combatly trained bard than a performance bard, your armor will be higher, etc.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Bardic armor in 3.0 01/15/2013 01:39 PM CST
As a bard with plate torso/legs, chain head/arms/hands setup, I'm finding hunting at level to not be an issue at all. I'm taking less wound damage than when I was wearing all chain, since the hits I take don't drop my vitality into the "taking damage" range as quickly. Also, I'm not noticing the hindrance much at all. I seem to be getting hit at only slightly more than when I was wearing only chain.
Re: Bardic armor in 3.0 01/15/2013 01:54 PM CST
>Tears + Hodernia's Lilt + Heavy Plate might make a nice little tankmonster.

Except that hindrance can really stack up with something like Heavy Plate. You'll be getting hit a lot more, so you'll really be putting your trust in Tears. Or Harmony to counteract some of the penalty from hindrance.

>so accordingly if you have a more combatly trained bard than a performance bard, your armor will be higher, etc.

Higher relative to what though? I think the concern is that as Armor Tert, Weapon Secondary, and the differences in how quickly we learn, the level the Bard is hitting is a little higher than the hit he's going to be able to take. To balance this out, the Bard's going to be smart about how they go about combat, including moves to keep the opponent off their toes, like Tactics, or our spells like DEMA.

The point for Light Armor is that even Armor Terts like Bards are able to work the hindrance penalty down lower, faster. I'm using Light Chain right now, but I've been pondering a shift down.

~~
Lupdels
Re: Bardic armor in 3.0 01/15/2013 01:56 PM CST
>>As a bard with plate torso/legs, chain head/arms/hands setup, I'm finding hunting at level to not be an issue at all. I'm taking less wound damage than when I was wearing all chain, since the hits I take don't drop my vitality into the "taking damage" range as quickly. Also, I'm not noticing the hindrance much at all. I seem to be getting hit at only slightly more than when I was wearing only chain.

What spells are you using?

~~
Lupdels
Re: Bardic armor in 3.0 01/15/2013 01:57 PM CST
> Tears + Hodernia's Lilt + Heavy Plate might make a nice little tankmonster.

+ Maf + Defiance + Wind.

Wind is there for the faster mojo regeneration, so you can use Defiance more often.
Re: Bardic armor in 3.0 01/15/2013 02:01 PM CST
I'm actually not that big of a fan of MAF in 3.0, because X light hits can remove it just as easily as X heavy hits.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Bardic armor in 3.0 01/15/2013 02:04 PM CST
>> Wind

Hmm, has anyone tested to see how fast they get to full mojo from 0 with WIND up?

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Bardic armor in 3.0 01/15/2013 02:57 PM CST
>>As a bard with plate torso/legs, chain head/arms/hands setup, I'm finding hunting at level to not be an issue at all. I'm taking less wound damage than when I was wearing all chain, since the hits I take don't drop my vitality into the "taking damage" range as quickly. Also, I'm not noticing the hindrance much at all. I seem to be getting hit at only slightly more than when I was wearing only chain.

>What spells are you using?

Usually just DEMA and RAGE. When I moved into tier 3 snow goblins, I would try to keep Harmony up, but I found I didn't really need it.

This is in Tier 3 snow goblins with 150 parry, 140 shield/evasion and a 31/75/75 evasion/parry/shield stance. This setup might not work at higher ranks, but it's working well for now.
Re: Bardic armor in 3.0 01/15/2013 03:10 PM CST
>This is in Tier 3 snow goblins with 150 parry, 140 shield/evasion and a 31/75/75 evasion/parry/shield stance. This setup might not work at higher ranks, but it's working well for now.

Those are some impeccably balanced defensive stats. Kudos.

I haven't had the time to play around in 3.0 yet, so most of what I'm saying is coming from seeing what others have posted. Most of the posts from Kodius seem to indicate that plate (and mixing armor types) just isn't going to be something that Armor Terts are going to work well with, unless you're making a concentrated effort to compensate for its downside.

~~
Lupdels
Re: Bardic armor in 3.0 01/15/2013 04:00 PM CST
> Hmm, has anyone tested to see how fast they get to full mojo from 0 with WIND up?

22-24 minutes with WIND, 49-52 minutes without.
Re: Bardic armor in 3.0 01/15/2013 05:39 PM CST
Chain + Brig w/ buffs and such works well for me so far.

Plate requires a willingness to just soak damage and not avoid it, it's not a mentality or combat style I enjoy with my bard to be honest.

Player of Ryken
---
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." ~ Doug Larson

AIM - RykenDR