Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/14/2013 05:34 AM CST
Made some tweaks but I'm missing the requirements for Misdirection and Whispers of the Muse. Please let me know if anything else is wrong or missing. Thanks.

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/File:3.0Bardtree.PNG

You've reached the uninformative help match I haven't written yet.

http://i.imgur.com/fBq8R.jpg
Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/14/2013 05:53 AM CST
I'll give you a heads up before you go putting links into that image and whatnot - I'm still going to be revising a lot of the Bard preqs - likely today or tomorrow.

The changes that will be happening to Elemental Invocations (not Elemental Control) and Sound Manipulation (The other two spellbooks I still need to go over):

DEMA - BoS and 40th
Pyre - BoS and 30th

Cry - No preqs
Joy - No preqs
Lilt - Cry
DMRS - Cry
Tears - Joy, Lilt and 40th
Drums - DMRS or Lilt
Resonance - DMRS or Lilt
Harmony - Drums and 30th

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/14/2013 05:57 AM CST
>>I'll give you a heads up before you go putting links into that image and whatnot - I'm still going to be revising a lot of the Bard preqs - likely today or tomorrow.

*throws a tantrum* Thanks for the heads up. I actually held off on posting the other trees that aren't up yet because YOU GUYS KEEP MOVING AND ADDING THINGS! Stop working so hard geez!

Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/14/2013 06:13 AM CST
> Joy - No preqs

Is Joy becoming introductory or basic, then? Because I doubt you'd put an esoteric at the base of the tree.
Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/14/2013 06:59 AM CST
i'd also like to request that pyre be a bit easier to cast if its being moved to have a 30th circle prerequisite rather than a 40th.

With only 2 TM spells that I can see in the bard spellbook <BOS and PYRE>, having this to train TM with would be much better.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/14/2013 07:02 AM CST
Updated based on Raesh's changes. http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/File:3.0Bardtree.PNG

Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/14/2013 07:19 AM CST
At the top right you still have it labeled Elemental Control. Its Elemental Invocations

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

"Power is merely a stepping stone to more power."
Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/14/2013 07:31 AM CST
>>At the top right you still have it labeled Elemental Control. Its Elemental Invocations

Doh. Fixed that thanks.

Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/14/2013 07:36 AM CST
>>Is Joy becoming introductory or basic, then? Because I doubt you'd put an esoteric at the base of the tree.

Yeah, we'll get to that. Several of the spells are moving around that way (Again, only Elemental Invocations is entirely updated in that respect).

>>i'd also like to request that pyre be a bit easier to cast if its being moved to have a 30th circle prerequisite rather than a 40th.

This is actually an addition of the 30th circle req, I decided it should be gated by more than just BoS being esoteric.

>>With only 2 TM spells that I can see in the bard spellbook <BOS and PYRE>, having this to train TM with would be much better.

Abandon Heart and Chorus of Madmen (When it's done) both use Target as well. There are also AP spells and I have two other TM spells (one of them the scream conversion) planned for Bards, but TM is never going to be their strong point.

I'm not entirely sure where the Scream spell will fit in at this point as a preq (It'll be in Sound Manipulation, but might touch into Elemental Invocations for a preq) - the other spell will likely rest parallel to BoS as an alternative preq.

Also keep in mind that TM/Debilitation training is based on the target, not the spell, so you can train with BoS throughout your entire career if you wanted.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/14/2013 07:55 AM CST
> I decided it should be gated by more than just BoS being esoteric.

BoS is going esoteric? It's a straightforward spell: single-target damage with no riders. Sure it can swap damage types when Will is around, but I think that Will should get the credit for that (even if the code is located in BoS). And it's nice to have the various single-target damage spells all be low difficulty, so that people can choose their preferred flavor.

It just occurred to me that you might have meant "BoS and being esoteric", in which case nevermind.
Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/14/2013 09:01 AM CST
>>It just occurred to me that you might have meant "BoS and being esoteric", in which case nevermind.

Yeah, my statement wasn't very clear. What I meant was I didn't want you go to go 0 slot intro spell --> basic spell --> esot-holycrapicantcastit

-Raesh

Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/14/2013 09:13 AM CST
For what it's worth at 35th (and higher than that magics). My wife's bard can't cast Pyre yet. Will test again once the copy goes through today as she is near 40th now.
Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/14/2013 09:16 AM CST
Corrections to your chart:

Resolve - basic
Pride - This is an Emotion Control spell

Fae Arts:
Wolves (Intro) - None
Joy (Intro) - None
Fae (Basic) - Wolves + 20th
Eye (Basic) - Wolves or Joy + 10th
Nexus (Esoteric) - Fae + 50th
Sanctuary (Esoteric) - Eye + 30th (Is now a utility spell)

Emotion Control:
Grace (Intro) - None
Muse (Basic) - Grace
Pride (Basic) - Grace
Lullaby (Advanced) - Muse (Note this spell isn't converted yet)
Misdirection (Advanced) - Muse
Rage (Advanced) - Pride
Abandon Heart (Esoteric) - Lilt + Lullaby + 60th
Balm (Esoteric) - Lullaby + 30th

These preqs and some of the tier changes are NOT live yet, just outlining them since you're already making the spell tree graphic and whatnot.

-Raesh

Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/14/2013 09:18 AM CST
>>For what it's worth at 35th (and higher than that magics). My wife's bard can't cast Pyre yet. Will test again once the copy goes through today as she is near 40th now.

How heavily has she trained TM?

Beyond that the exact difficulties within each tier (And if need be the circle reqs) are likely to be something I adjust once we go live. I'm trying to space out the circle reqs a bit so not everything is like "BAM WELCOME TO 40TH HERE'S ALL THE SPELLS!"

-Raesh

Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/14/2013 09:24 AM CST
>>How heavily has she trained TM?

115 or so. Totally understand that isn't a great amount, just wanted to note the circle req and at least her experience didn't fit.

Before the last change upping the difficulty in test, she was able to cast it for what it's worth, so we are hoping she is not far off.

Thanks
Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/14/2013 10:34 AM CST
Updated again. http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/File:3.0Bardtree.PNG

(This is why I can't finish any of the other ones.)

Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/14/2013 10:46 AM CST
A few mistakes there: Pride and WM are not ritual spells. Soul is a ritual spell.
Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/14/2013 11:36 AM CST
>>A few mistakes there: Pride and WM are not ritual spells. Soul is a ritual spell.

Thanks. Fixed.

Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/14/2013 11:49 AM CST
>DEMA - BoS and 40th
>Pyre - BoS and 30th

Is DEMA difficulty changing then? Right now, I have about the same ranks in debil and TM (144 and 140, respectively, 201 PM), and I can't cast PYRE at all (5 mana min prep) but can cast DEMA just fine at above min prep. It seems to me that as is, PYRE should require 40th and DEMA 30th, in terms of difficulty to cast. And unless things have changed, PYRE's power on the low end might need to be increased. A 5 mana PYRE is the equivalent of a Bic lighter. I don't expect a min-mana cast to be a flamethrower, but it shouldn't take 5-6 minutes to kill something (that I outclass, so it's not teaching) when it's hitting every pulse, should it?
Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/14/2013 12:06 PM CST
DEMA currently is set as an advanced spell instead of esoteric by mistake.

-Raesh

Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/15/2013 11:03 AM CST
Any idea where Chorus of Madmen will fit into all of this, roughly? (in terms of pre-reqs)

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/15/2013 11:30 AM CST
Madmen will req Rage (and maybe a circle req too).

-Raesh

Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/15/2013 11:34 AM CST
Sweetness, thanks!

Do you happen to know of Madmen will be changing in any significant way in its translation to 3.0?

~ Leilond
Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/15/2013 11:37 AM CST
I gave it a once over when I was trying to decide if I had time to convert it (Answer: I didn't). Overall it shouldn't change much, the best comparison is likely something like Abandon Heart which is also an AoE Debil/TM hybrid spell.

-Raesh

Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/15/2013 11:45 AM CST
> Overall it shouldn't change much,

I didn't play with it much in 2.0, but my impression was that it was only capable of superficial damage. Hopefully the damage formula is revisited.

Either way, really excited for it. I love flavor and messaging that I've seen of it.
Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/15/2013 11:46 AM CST
Thanks a million Raesh!

~ Leilond
Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/15/2013 11:49 AM CST
>>I love flavor and messaging that I've seen of it.

Yeah, if ever there was a non-Necromancer non-Sorcery spell that could give Social Outrage, Chorus of Madmen would be it IMO. Which is one of the reasons I love it so :3

~ Leilond
Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/15/2013 11:57 AM CST
> Yeah, if ever there was a non-Necromancer non-Sorcery spell that could give Social Outrage, Chorus of Madmen would be it IMO.

PD laughs at your shenanigans. And then gruesomely dismembers them.

But I think it'd be pretty cool if Madmen gave social corruption.
Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/15/2013 11:58 AM CST
Damage isn't the point of Chorus, though I wouldn't stay it's damage is superficial so much as rather hard to achieve (It only starts showing up when you really crush people in the contest).

I haven't yet figured out exactly how I'm going to make the hybrid spell function which is part of why it's been sitting - it doesn't really conform at all to standard TM style spells, but I don't want it to lose the damage possibilities.

-Raesh

Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/15/2013 01:09 PM CST
>I gave it a once over when I was trying to decide if I had time to convert it (Answer: I didn't). Overall it shouldn't change much, the best comparison is likely something like Abandon Heart which is also an AoE Debil/TM hybrid spell.

So what's not getting converted before the switch? Madmen, and what else? Lullaby, Siren, and Aura? Or are any of them sneaking in soon?

Lullaby
~~
Lupdels
Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/15/2013 01:26 PM CST
hopefully not TOO big a circle req for madmen. I used to enjoy going to dirge Madmen and making them even crazier... :_)

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Visual spell tree (Bard edition) 01/15/2013 02:23 PM CST
>>So what's not getting converted before the switch? Madmen, and what else? Lullaby, Siren, and Aura? Or are any of them sneaking in soon?

Yeah, that sounds like the list.

Aura I think is like one step away from converted (Going from notes here, I haven't looked at it) - so I'm not sure what the hold up is, but it's also not a spell I'm tripping over myself to force out in the next few days.

Lullaby is fairly critical from a preq PoV and I believe should be a clean conversion, so that will likely happen during the preview period but after 3.0 launch.

>>TOO big a circle req for madmen. I used to enjoy going to dirge Madmen and making them even crazier... :_)

It depends on where I decide the spell ends up needing to sit difficulty wise in comparison to other spells. I'd ballpark somewhere in the 50-70 range.

-Raesh