not sure if bard bug or magic bug 01/09/2013 08:54 AM CST
In good news, my plat bard can now cast pyre.

bad news, while in combat, found a bug with how it attacked serpents, dunno if this is a damage area supposed to be able to be targetted:

You drop your voice to a whisper as you reprise the last tones of the chorus once more, your voice still vibrant with the emotion of those earlier measures.
The flames land a good hit to a piruati serpent's internal tail!

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: not sure if bard bug or magic bug 01/09/2013 09:12 AM CST
For anyone who sees that bug...

Could you take a squint at the creature afterwards and see what's actually being hit?

I need to know if it's a message bug or an actual hit location bug.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: not sure if bard bug or magic bug 01/09/2013 09:42 AM CST
ok, will test it again. One thing though, not having had this spell in 2.0, I didn't know that having it up in town was illegal. And when you ask the bard guildleader about it, he doesn't mention this either:

>ask tas about pyre spell
Tasdrean says, "The Phoenix's Pyre is a departure from the subtle effects many associate with the Bardly magic. When voiced, the spell will ignite a firestorm around you to consume your enemies. Should flames already wreathe your hapless victims, such as those from naphtha, they will flare with the added fuel. Before you can learn this spell, you must know Breath of Storms, and be circle 40. It will also cost two spell slots."

Nothing about it being illegal to have up in town.

Thanks.

Yacov the now dangerous Dwarf.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: not sure if bard bug or magic bug 01/09/2013 09:48 AM CST
Pretty much all of the damaging/debillitation AOE spells are illegal, because when townspeople see it they start to wig out and report the authorities.

What I don't get is how/why illusion spells are illegal and flag the justice system when you don't use the CAST AREA option. If you're just casting an illusion spell against stuff engaged to you, should it really be flagging the justice system? Townspeople wouldn't even see it.

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: not sure if bard bug or magic bug 01/09/2013 10:15 AM CST
>>What I don't get is how/why illusion spells are illegal and flag the justice system when you don't use the CAST AREA option. If you're just casting an illusion spell against stuff engaged to you, should it really be flagging the justice system? Townspeople wouldn't even see it.

IIRC, not using CAST AREA mechanically/OOCly means that you're only hitting things engaged to you, but what is ICly happening is that you're hitting everything near you, which include those engaged in combat with you.

When it comes to other mobs/PCs in the room, certain RP assumptions are made at that point like "well they're just outside of the range of that spell even though they're in the same room." But, that doesn't mean there aren't background citizenry who are within range when it is firing.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: not sure if bard bug or magic bug 01/09/2013 10:21 AM CST
again, i'm not asking that the spell be made legal in town. Just that the guildleader mention that its illegal to have up in town, just like the WM guild tells its members about fire rain.

Re: not sure if bard bug or magic bug 01/09/2013 04:26 PM CST
It's a spell that throws fire (And sometimes ice) around willy nilly.

Of course it's illegal to use in public areas same as practically any other AoE spell.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: not sure if bard bug or magic bug 01/09/2013 06:27 PM CST
And the guildleader should warn you accordingly. Again, just like the WM guildleader does.

About the whole internal tail thing - I seem to land other hits on serpents on parts that don't exist on a serpent using other than magical attacks as well:

< Moving like a striking snake, you feint a dark steel scimitar with a polished flamewood hilt at a piruati serpent. A piruati serpent fails to evade, receiving a glancing blow. The scimitar lands a strong hit that painfully mashes several toes of the left foot.
[You're tired, incredibly balanced and overwhelming opponent.]
[Roundtime 2 sec.]

I've never seen any snake that has a left foot.

when you look at it you can't see any results other than its belly:

You see a piruati serpent.
The piruati serpent has faint scuffing to the neck, faint scuffing to the belly.

Re: not sure if bard bug or magic bug 01/09/2013 06:30 PM CST
<<same as practically any other AoE spell.>>

I've never had that experience with the DEMA spell, which is one i've had for a long time in 2.0 on my young bard primeside.

Re: not sure if bard bug or magic bug 01/09/2013 07:26 PM CST
And , as requested, here's a look at a serpent after another internal tail hit:

With barely a pause for breath, you neatly segue to the verse of the Phoenix's Pyre. Your skin warms tangibly as you bite off each of the words with a fierceness that seems to incite the very air around you to anger as flames are born to ride the heated currents.
The flames land a good hit to a piruati serpent's internal tail!

look serpent

You see a piruati serpent.
The piruati serpent has faint scuffing to the upper body, faint scuffing to the lower body, faint scuffing to the belly, faint scuffing to the back.
The piruati serpent is in good shape.
It is wearing nothing!
It is carrying nothing!

Re: not sure if bard bug or magic bug 01/09/2013 07:36 PM CST
DEMA does not cause damage.

-Raesh