Pyre + Naphtha revisited 01/05/2013 03:08 PM CST
This is supposed to be working now, right? Looks like it's still having problems.

With barely a pause for breath, you neatly segue to the verse of the Phoenix's Pyre. Your skin warms tangibly as you bite off each of the words with a fierceness that seems to incite the very air around you to anger as flames are born to ride the heated currents.
The flames land a very heavy hit (8/22) to a ruby-crested adult forest gryphon's body!
The naphtha soaking a ruby-crested adult forest gryphon bursts into flame with an explosive WHOOOMPH!
The adult forest gryphon is severely stunned!

A ruby-crested adult forest gryphon runs around in circles screaming frantically as the flames consume it!
The flames extinguish themselves.

On an unrelated note, I didn't know this was a valid hit location:

The admixture of flames and frost lands a very heavy hit (8/22) to a ruby-crested adult forest gryphon's internal tail!
Re: Pyre + Naphtha revisited 01/05/2013 04:14 PM CST

>>The admixture of flames and frost lands a very heavy hit (8/22) to a ruby-crested adult forest gryphon's internal tail!

That umm... ouch?

The Light is Crimson through the Darkness.
Re: Pyre + Naphtha revisited 01/06/2013 06:02 AM CST
Internal Tail eh?

That's... very very interesting. I'll take a look at that one.

What's the problem with pyre and naphtha otherwise? It looks like it's working properly to me.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Pyre + Naphtha revisited 01/06/2013 12:34 PM CST
> What's the problem with pyre and naphtha otherwise? It looks like it's working properly to me.

It's extinguishing on the first pulse, and Pyre isn't intensifying it. Here's a log from Prime, for comparison. Note that the naphtha pulses without extinguishing, and when Pyre pulses, the flames rage higher:

>throw
You throw a bottle of naphtha at a Dragon Priest zealot! The bottle of naphtha shatters in an explosion of tiny glass shards and smelly, sticky mixture against a Dragon Priest zealot!
Roundtime: 1 second.

(You begin the verse of Phoenix's Pyre.)
With barely a pause for breath, you neatly segue to the verse of the "Phoenix's Pyre". Your skin warms tangibly as you bite off each of the words with a fierceness that seems to incite the very air around you to anger and flare in response.
A surge of intense heat lands a glancing strike to a Dragon Priest zealot's left leg!
The naphtha soaking a Dragon Priest zealot bursts into flame with an explosive WHOOOMPH!

A Dragon Priest zealot rolls around on the ground in an attempt to extinguish the sizzling flames!
A Dragon Priest zealot runs around in circles screaming frantically as the flames consume it!

(You are performing the verse of Phoenix's Pyre.)
A Dragon Priest zealot appears to weaken as the warm winds spur the flames to rage higher.
A surge of intense heat lands a solid hit (4/22) to a Dragon Priest zealot's abdomen!

A Dragon Priest zealot continues to roll around on the ground until the flames are finally extinguished.
Re: Pyre + Naphtha revisited 01/06/2013 12:40 PM CST
Oh shoot, now that you mention it that was a really cool effect of Pyre in 2.0. I'd be willing to spend a metaspell to get it back if required even.

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Pyre + Naphtha revisited 01/06/2013 01:02 PM CST
> Oh shoot, now that you mention it that was a really cool effect of Pyre in 2.0. I'd be willing to spend a metaspell to get it back if required even.

It's supposed to be in the 3.0 version already, at least if I'm understanding this quote of Raesh. I think it's what he's referring to when he refers to flaring it:

> Raesh: The intention is when it flares naphtha it increases the duration of the burning as well as causing fat/vit damage.
Re: Pyre + Naphtha revisited 01/06/2013 01:32 PM CST
Definitely working against players, though.

> She appears to weaken as your magic spurs the flames consuming her to rage higher.
Re: Pyre + Naphtha revisited 01/06/2013 03:40 PM CST
Working as intended.

When pyre pulses it will ignite naphtha or enrage it. Not both. Your problem is you aren't getting a long enough burning duration on the target to last until the next pulse of pyre.

... that said I just tracked down and fixed yet another bug older than some of our players where the burning duration on creatures was always being set to the minimum. No one ever saw it before since, of course, you couldn't actually light creatures on fire. </3 for naphtha.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Pyre + Naphtha revisited 01/06/2013 03:59 PM CST
> that said I just tracked down and fixed yet another bug older than some of our players where the burning duration on creatures was always being set to the minimum.

That seems to have fixed it. Thanks.
Re: Pyre + Naphtha revisited 01/06/2013 04:07 PM CST
Okay, just had a weird one. The gryphon died without any messaging. Log below.

[The Western Road, Atop the Ridge]
The tread of many, many patient boots and hooves has worn the roadway down, and it crosses the top of the ridge several feet below the shoulders on either side. The sunken path and the surrounding forest dim the light guiding the traveler's way, even on the brightest day. You also see a fledgling forest gryphon that appears stunned.
Obvious paths: southeast, west.

A fledgling forest gryphon screams in pain as the sizzling flames continue to consume its flesh!

>get nap
>throw
You get a bottle of naphtha from inside your leather backpack.

You throw a bottle of naphtha at a fledgling forest gryphon! The bottle of naphtha shatters in an explosion of tiny glass shards and smelly, sticky mixture against a fledgling forest gryphon!
With a massive WHOOOMPH, the naphtha bursts into flames!
Roundtime: 1 second.

A fledgling forest gryphon screams in pain as the sizzling flames continue to consume its flesh!

With barely a pause for breath, you neatly segue to the verse of the Phoenix's Pyre. Your skin warms tangibly as you bite off each of the words with a fierceness that seems to incite the very air around you to anger as a conflux of flame and frost is born about you.
The admixture of flames and frost lands an earth-shaking strike (14/22) to a fledgling forest gryphon's body!
It appears to weaken as your magic spurs the flames consuming it to rage higher.

>l gryp

You see a fledgling forest gryphon, which is dead.
The forest gryphon has a grotesquely bloated head with bleeding from the eyes and ears compounded by a pulpy stump for a head, deep cuts across the neck, cuts and bruises about the right arm, deep cuts across the left arm, faint scuffing to the right hind leg, a severely swollen and deeply bruised left leg compounded by a broken left leg with gaping holes, deep cuts across the right hand, deep cuts across the left hand, severely swollen and bruised chest area compounded by deep slashes across the chest area, faint scuffing to the abdomen, a severely swollen and deeply bruised back with ribs or vertebrae protruding out from the skin compounded by a shattered back with gaping wounds, boils and sores around the skin.
The forest gryphon is bleeding profusely from the left hind leg, from the left foreleg, from the right forepaw, with discoloration in the chest, unbelievably from the chest, from the neck, with widespread discoloration and rigidity in the back, unbelievably from the back, with discoloration in the left hind leg and from the left forepaw.
It is wearing nothing!
It is carrying nothing!
Re: Pyre + Naphtha revisited 01/06/2013 04:11 PM CST
I think that was the vitality hit from the enraged naphtha.

Let me check on a few things before I decide how to fix it.

-Raesh

Re: Pyre + Naphtha revisited 01/06/2013 05:12 PM CST
Correction: It doesn't cause extra vitality damage when it enrages the flames, just prolongs them and causes fatigue. I was misreading the code (I didn't write that section of the spell).

Not entirely sure what killed the gryphon there.

I'll tell you what didn't kill it though: The naphtha. Because, shockingly, it's damage wasn't working.

In related news after some rewrites being burned by naphtha is now a very, very, very, very, very, VERY bad thing.

I also rejiggered the logic of how Pyre extends naphtha, but that should be mostly invisible.

-Raesh

Re: Pyre + Naphtha revisited 01/06/2013 05:17 PM CST
>In related news after some rewrites being burned by naphtha is now a very, very, very, very, very, VERY bad thing.

"In related news, naptha will now heal the targets, until we rewrite it again."

:P

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Pyre + Naphtha revisited 01/06/2013 05:27 PM CST
:3 Oh Paaaladins, I have something to shooow youuu.

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Pyre + Naphtha revisited 01/06/2013 05:36 PM CST
>>:3 Oh Paaaladins, I have something to shooow youuu.

I think I speak on everyone's behalf, with 'Oh goody.'

Samsaren
Re: Pyre + Naphtha revisited 01/07/2013 05:40 PM CST
Funny. My response involved some things I can't say on the forums, let alone in game/test when I get set on fire later.

Cass