Prev_page Previous 1
3.0 updates 11/21/2012 12:16 PM CST
Just a brief summary of 3.0 changes you may want to look into that for the most part didn't make it into the documentation (Sorry, I'm behind. I'll do write ups for Elanthipedia within a few days assuming nothing terrible goes wrong).

Firstly -- Most of the "Bard 3.0" stuff isn't in, and won't be in the release. I don't think this should be a surprise to people, but I'm hoping to push heavily on it in the coming months. Some of the plans have been notably revised as the rest of 3.0 has taken shape (And as I've learned a lot about design in general in the last two years). This leaves Bardic Lore in somewhat of an awkward place.

For now many Bard abilities teach some bardic lore as a placeholder (Screams, practices etc), and you can learn it from evokes. This isn't enough really, but it's what's there right now - Please let me know how well you are able to move it with these in place and I'll offer some tips and tweaks as needed.

A big change though is passive mojo recovery. That just got moved into plat recently, so I don't expect any problems, but keep an eye on it. It should help with the above Bardic Lore problems.

Recall -- Recall is undergoing a massive rewrite right now to sync it up with how Evoke works and add some new functions and steamline most of the old ones. The downside is... it's not finished yet. Sorry guys. Don't expect anything that runs through the recall system to be horrifically reliable right now. This is basically my top coding priority currently.

When it is finished note that with very few exceptions all of the recalls (including history) will be shared out to everyone, though Bards will retain large bonuses. This is actually a good thing for you Bardic types, because the combination of more people being able to access recalls and the increased ease of building new ones in the new system should notably increase development of recalls (which have oft been neglected in the past. See the total lack of P5 ones for example...)

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: 3.0 updates 11/21/2012 12:20 PM CST
> For now many Bard abilities teach some bardic lore as a placeholder (Screams, practices etc), and you can learn it from evokes. This isn't enough really, but it's what's there right now - Please let me know how well you are able to move it with these in place and I'll offer some tips and tweaks as needed.

I'll play around with them. Do you know if screams have been fixed? I was asked to stop using them in test because they were breaking things.
Re: 3.0 updates 11/21/2012 12:21 PM CST
>>Some of the plans have been notably revised as the rest of 3.0 has taken shape (And as I've learned a lot about design in general in the last two years). This leaves Bardic Lore in somewhat of an awkward place.

Uhh ohh. Dear god please tell me Beguiles are still planned :( :( :(

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: 3.0 updates 11/21/2012 12:24 PM CST
>>Some of the plans have been notably revised as the rest of 3.0 has taken shape (And as I've learned a lot about design in general in the last two years). This leaves Bardic Lore in somewhat of an awkward place.

I want to see bards get dances (now that barbs don't have them anymore) so that we can learn performance in combat.
Re: 3.0 updates 11/21/2012 12:26 PM CST
Beguiles will likely change a little, but conceptually they're still in a place I like. Same for Lionize and Satirize.

More likely to change are the plans for existing bardic abilities (practice, bluff, scream etc), where I was really allowing myself to be too constrained by "fixing what they already have" instead of "Crafting a holistic vision for the guild", and likely went too broad.

Screams in particular I can speak too -- They're going to become spells. When we got down to it we'd arrived at this weird awkward ability that used TM or debilitation, and may have needed mana and we just finally asked ourselves "Why isn't this a spell? Is there any reason it wouldn't be a spell if it didn't already exist as NotASpell?"

My proposed solution for that is a spell similar to Dragon's Breath that would have the additional screams unlocked as a metaspell, but that's still tentative and screams will stay online until that comes out.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: 3.0 updates 11/21/2012 12:32 PM CST
> Screams in particular I can speak too -- They're going to become spells. When we got down to it we'd arrived at this weird awkward ability that used TM or debilitation, and may have needed mana and we just finally asked ourselves "Why isn't this a spell? Is there any reason it wouldn't be a spell if it didn't already exist as NotASpell?"

Are you only speaking about the offensive screams, or defiance too?
Re: 3.0 updates 11/21/2012 12:39 PM CST
Defiance too. My current proposal (Which I stress is not yet approved) is that while the spell is on you it'd give you a certain number of charges of offensive screams, but if you were stunned while it was up you'd automatically burn a charge to defiance out of it.

-Raesh

Re: 3.0 updates 11/21/2012 12:44 PM CST
>> Just a brief summary of 3.0 changes you may want to look into that for the most part didn't make it into the documentation (Sorry, I'm behind. I'll do write ups for Elanthipedia within a few days assuming nothing terrible goes wrong).

I can forgive any and all delays if Call of the Siren is not being pushed back. It's my favorite spell by far. I love that I can go to any hunting area and learn effectively regardless of how terrible a spawn is.

Thanks!
Re: 3.0 updates 11/21/2012 12:58 PM CST
Screams are the only proposed ability moving to magic. In the end, they're too much like a TM spell to not be a TM spell.

-Raesh

Re: 3.0 updates 11/21/2012 01:01 PM CST
I think it would be pretty rough to have both regular spells, cyclics, screams -and- beguiles/lionize/satirize ALL using mana, but I think I can swing just Screams going to mana.

Do you have plans to fill the Scream placeholders with other abilities, or would we just gain access to those meta-screams at certain circles as planned and they wouldn't take up spell slots?

Looking forward to see what you have planned regardless :)

~ Leilond
Re: 3.0 updates 11/21/2012 01:02 PM CST
Bah, beat me to posting before I could delete/repost :P

~ Leilond
Re: 3.0 updates 11/21/2012 01:03 PM CST
They would be spells in every sense of the word.

Most likely the proposed "X skill at X level" template is going to be largely trashed in favor of abilities you start with or get very early on that grow with skill.

-Raesh

Re: 3.0 updates 11/21/2012 01:06 PM CST
Sweet, sounds good to me :D

Do we still get an awesome Riposte attack at 100th? :3

~ Leilond
Re: 3.0 updates 11/21/2012 01:08 PM CST
Do you have plans to develop other Bardic Lore abilities to take the screams' place? I know at one point there was talk of developing Evoke, maybe using it to force experiences on others.
Re: 3.0 updates 11/21/2012 01:09 PM CST
Up in the air. I believe combat 3.0 was going to use riposte as a core verb, but I don't see in implemented yet.

-Raesh

Re: 3.0 updates 11/21/2012 06:37 PM CST
The more I think about it, is the more I like that screams going to spell suggestion of yours. I'm getting this really awesome image of us playing the role of megaman and charging up a scream and them letting it rip with a huge sonic boom or something :D

Also with it being an actual spell, hopefully we can get not-watered-down awesome screams that make people jealous :3

~ Leilond
Re: 3.0 updates 11/21/2012 07:22 PM CST
>> Also with it being an actual spell, hopefully we can get not-watered-down awesome screams that make people jealous :3

Hahaha....BUT YOU CAN TRAIN TM IN COMBAT! NO FAIR.
Re: 3.0 updates 11/22/2012 06:02 PM CST
On the scream thing, I really like the idea of the charges. And possibly an option to like prep scream con, cast, then it gives you say 1-5 charges depending on skill level for x amount of time. But you have the option (again dependent on skill) to either scream concussive <person/critter> <optional amount of charges> to do either a few small damage screams with it or one big powerful scream. Just a thought.
Re: 3.0 updates 11/22/2012 09:20 PM CST
> Please let me know how well you are able to move it with these in place and I'll offer some tips and tweaks as needed.

Practice breathing/stretching jumps me straight to 17/34. Not sure what the timer is on that, yet. At least 50 minutes.

The bluffs don't teach nearly as well. I got 1 mindstate on distract, 2 on amaze. Keep in mind that these are on timers, also.

I don't think bluff dead teaches anything at all, because it puts you to sleep.

Bluff dodge gives less than 1 mindstate. Also, it can't be used while dodging, which is probably a bug.

Scream defiance gives 1-2 mindstates on a 70 second timer. I've got enough mojo for 6 before I need to recharge.

Screams concussive and havoc also give about 1-2 mindstates.

Considering the mojo costs, I think the only one worth training with is practice.
Re: 3.0 updates 11/22/2012 09:27 PM CST
>Bardic Lore learning

Whistle piercing also teaches.

I'm able to keep learning slowly but steadily by doing a bluff amaze and a whistle piercing every 6 or so kills in combat. The passive mojo regen seems to be enough, or maybe I'm just not hunting long enough.

Also, occasionally the "shaky" feeling after a bluff amaze wears off doesn't go away. Or takes an abnormally long time (up to hours, or until I bluff amaze again).
Re: 3.0 updates 11/22/2012 10:30 PM CST
>I could totally see myself without as my character is more combat oriented, except for the fact they're all pre-requisites for the really awesome combat spells :/

I suspect it might be entirely intentional? Lore primary guild after all?

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: 3.0 updates 11/22/2012 10:54 PM CST
> Whistle piercing also teaches.

Nice, I forgot about that. Gets me 3 mindstates on a reasonable timer. Seems like a winner.
Re: 3.0 updates 11/23/2012 12:37 AM CST
Practice assess has the lowest timer (and teaches the least) the other practices have by far the longest timer and teach the most.

Bluff dodge makes no sense in the world of 3.0, and I simply haven't remembered to remove it entirely.

-Raesh

Re: 3.0 updates 11/24/2012 11:38 PM CST
So I will say, today in our little sparring battle royal, I absolutely love being able to SCREAM DEFIANCE and break out of a stun with a damage reduction effect with balance restoration.

I would very much like to keep this one ability in its present incarnate.

~ Leilond
Re: 3.0 updates 11/25/2012 11:28 AM CST
Is scream defiance working in some way that it didn't before? I didn't change it.

-Raesh

Re: 3.0 updates 11/25/2012 11:43 AM CST
Scream Defiance is working absolutely perfectly right now in 3.0 :D

Mainly, I'm just saying I absolutely love Scream Defiance in 3.0 and if you can get it as close to its current incarnation as possible when it moves over to the metaspell model or whatever, even if we have to pay 3 or more spell slots to achieve all of its effects, it would be greatly appreciated :)

Also after seeing SET, TV and all of the other heinous Moon Mage awesomeness in action, I am very thankful you and your creative mind are working on our Bardic spells and abilities <3

I'm very eager to see what you come up with for the other bluff/scream abilities that need re-working!

~ Leilond
Re: 3.0 updates 11/25/2012 11:45 AM CST
I can really only take credit for Tezirah's Veil, Sever Thread and Tangled Fate all I did was touch them up to keep them working in 3.0, the rest of the credit for those is all Armifer.

-Raesh

Re: 3.0 updates 01/01/2013 01:28 AM CST
Hi,
I'm a recently returning player and am pretty excited about all the 3.0 stuff, but I had some thoughts/concerns about screams. I had thought part of the original intent behind screams was to give Bards combat abilities that didn't rely completely on the Magic system because it didn't make sense for all their combat abilities to be chained to a secondary skill set.

One of my three characters is a circle 33 bard and from what I've been reading it seems like I'm not only going to lose spell slots, but I'm also going to have to use slots to pay for screams on top of that? Perhaps this isn't much of a concern for people who are at a level where they have extra slots laying around, but it seems kind of like a double whammy for others who haven't achieved much status. None of my characters are magic prime so I've accepted a certain price of progress, but this seems like overloading the system. I guess I'm a little worried that I'm seeing a system in which boils down to bards seeing new things at a slower rate just because we don't have magic as a primary skill set. I understand that this isn't a concern for really really high bards or really really low bards, but for me it's getting to seem like a steep hole to climb out of.

Thanks and sorry for bumping this,

Prielle
Re: 3.0 updates 01/01/2013 03:17 AM CST
Bards will be getting abilities (I won't say combat abilities since that leads us down a slippery slope of discussion that's not worth getting started on) that are driven by Bardic Lore and thus their primary skill set. Some of those will be useful in combat. Some of them will be new, some of them will be revamps of the current versions. Screams won't be among them.

-Raesh

Re: 3.0 updates 01/01/2013 12:42 PM CST
<I'm a recently returning player and am pretty excited about all the 3.0 stuff, but I had some thoughts/concerns about screams. I had thought part of the original intent behind screams was to give Bards combat abilities that didn't rely completely on the Magic system because it didn't make sense for all their combat abilities to be chained to a secondary skill set.

Just FYI Necromancers are also magic secondary, and all of our magic and critter strength is determined by TM, a secondary skill. This goes for all survival prime, and I don't see why it would be any different for Bards. The only guild I know of that uses a primary skill for a combat attack is the Paladin guild with smite, that works off their shield skill.
Re: 3.0 updates 01/01/2013 12:51 PM CST
>I'm a recently returning player and am pretty excited about all the 3.0 stuff, but I had some thoughts/concerns about screams. I had thought part of the original intent behind screams was to give Bards combat abilities that didn't rely completely on the Magic system because it didn't make sense for all their combat abilities to be chained to a secondary skill set.

DR is a skill based game. For that to have any meaning, people have to get things according to skillset placement.

So, not being 'as good as' a combat type guild, like Barbs or Paladins...is sort of going to be the role for bards. They're better at crafting and lore and teaching etc.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: 3.0 updates 01/01/2013 12:58 PM CST
>>The only guild I know of that uses a primary skill for a combat attack is the Paladin guild with smite, that works off their shield skill.

And Thieves who have Backstab in the Survival skillset.

~ Leilond
Re: 3.0 updates 01/01/2013 01:03 PM CST

And Bards with their scream-hax.
Re: 3.0 updates 01/01/2013 01:05 PM CST
Yes, but I'm pretty sure that backstab still requires a hefty ability to use your weapon well. Though these are based wildly from supposition.

Now differently, Magic Users use Magic skills.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: 3.0 updates 01/01/2013 01:07 PM CST
>>And Bards with their scream-hax.

Nope, this is changing in 3.0 so that Screams use TM.

~ Leilond
Re: 3.0 updates 01/01/2013 01:16 PM CST
Yeah I was excluding current bard screams, and forgot about backstab. But backstab also contests stealth and requires the person to get to melee range to use.
Re: 3.0 updates 01/01/2013 01:16 PM CST
>>Nope, this is changing in 3.0 so that Screams use TM.

Which will certainly bring them into a comparable level. Granted yes its a secondary skill but using Backstab and the smite abilities as reference theres still a difference. Both Backstab and the Shield abilities need to be trained in combat, whereas the old screams used lore that didnt need combat to train. Now I know this is changing and Im not aware of the details of the new Bardic Lore but I think thats the same reason they are splitting PM they way they are. So that you cant be crazy in combat without having trained in combat.

Though and Im not sure how any bards can be upset at this point... you guys are gettin some major love (which is overdue for sure). I know a lot of folks who are jealous of you all even with your secondary skill screams.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

"Power is merely a stepping stone to more power."
Re: 3.0 updates 01/01/2013 01:19 PM CST
>>So that you cant be crazy in combat without having trained in combat. Though and Im not sure how any bards can be upset at this point.

Oh I agree whole hearted :P

I was just pointing out that Backstab was another skill which sort of breaks the rule as far as damage dealing abilities go outside of the Weapons/Magic skillset. (and Armor skillset too as it pertains to SHIELDBASH/SMITE apparently)

~ Leilond
Re: 3.0 updates 01/01/2013 01:50 PM CST
>>The only guild I know of that uses a primary skill for a combat attack is the Paladin guild with smite, that works off their shield skill.

I don't think smite uses shield: it's based on the weapon you're using to smite. It's a glorified slice/bash/thrust (or whatever it ends up subbing when you use it). Are you thinking shield bash, which everyone has?

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: 3.0 updates 01/01/2013 02:06 PM CST
<I don't think smite uses shield: it's based on the weapon you're using to smite. It's a glorified slice/bash/thrust (or whatever it ends up subbing when you use it). Are you thinking shield bash, which everyone has?

I wasn't thinking of shield slam, I thought paladins had a shield attack in the form of a spell. I guess I was wrong. That just makes the point even moreso in my first post though on why guilds just don't deserve combat maneuvers based on one of their primary skills.
Prev_page Previous 1