Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Fear Items 12/08/2012 01:05 PM CST
>>Protect self also seems to be amazingly broken and just flat out doesn't work most times i've tried to use it, prime and in test.

Yep I've heard this a ton. It seldom works when stunned, immobilized, etc.

Just seems poorly coded, and Paladin systems have not really been on the fore front in recent years.

But that said, this is a Barb thread, just wanted to throw out that this ability already exists, although hardly works.
Re: IF 12/08/2012 01:55 PM CST
>That's not very smart. You wouldnt be able to tell anything from that because there is too many variables.

That was the point.

You say 'time' as though it's magically easier to measure. Even with your suggestions below, it takes more effort, processing, and time, than just 'ok, X circle, Y ranks'. You're better off arguing for increased IF ranks per-circle than arbitrary measurements.

And measuring 'bestest weapon training method' is a really, really, bad idea, and going to murder the slow players who might have been out of combat 90% of the time and running meditations/forms/etc. to train IF.

Or are you ignoring the fact that several of the best forgers in game are barbs who spend a metric ton of time forging, not in combat, but would be running IF skills? Because you've just burned them.

I could have misunderstood your math though, because, if I'm honest, I really didn't do more than glance at it and see it was a time-in-combat calculation.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: IF 12/08/2012 01:57 PM CST
<<It would be fairly easy to judge at least a minimum amount of time spent in combat by just glancing at someone skills.>>

Personally and even though it favors circle chasers, I like the simple model.

Also, this has been known since the very first talks about the new skills. You have had plenty of time to adjust. Changing it now would be unfair for everyone who adjusted.
Re: IF 12/08/2012 02:44 PM CST
>>Or are you ignoring the fact that several of the best forgers in game are barbs who spend a metric ton of time forging, not in combat, but would be running IF skills? Because you've just burned them.

lol that's me buddy.

I agree there is no great way to do it. I dont expect to change obviously and my last post was before I read Kodius response.

>>Also, this has been known since the very first talks about the new skills. You have had plenty of time to adjust.

Oh I did adjust, alot.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: IF 12/08/2012 02:50 PM CST
>>Or are you ignoring the fact that several of the best forgers in game are barbs who spend a metric ton of time forging, not in combat, but would be running IF skills? Because you've just burned them.

There is irony in this statement, considering Codiax is the top weaponsmithing character in the game, according to the prestige boards. Not to mention, he supplies forged steel and rare metal weapons virtually daily which are sold by traders and end up in players' hands. He also managed somehow to be one of the top combat barbarians, on top of all that. It's also quite possible he has the most TDPs accumulated (and the most to lose). It's an understandable frustration.

Squanto: think they'll make it so we can swim to the islands?
Codiax: probably not but who knows
Squanto: maybe moonwalk faster on the iceroad with enough reflex, athletics & xibar up?
Codiax: lol yeah totally. have to sing ice ice baby to make it work
Re: IF 12/08/2012 04:15 PM CST
>lol that's me buddy.

Ya, I'm not making a particularly stellar point. I'll try it one more way and then drop it. You're a top-end player in a lot of ways, but that can't be the basis for most of the game; while as the population ages, we see a noticable increase in player training efficiency, we can't force adjust all ranks, systems, etc. based on that. I see where you're coming from with the combat-skills approach, but still feel like it leaves a lot to be desired; moreso than the current circle-based method. Aside from the odd case where someone has more combat skills then required to circle, why does your method have an upside compared to straight circle? I understand all of the barbs are upset about low ranks being grandfathered.

Re: IF 12/08/2012 04:34 PM CST
>You do have a berserk that allows you to shrug off stun, immobilization, knockdown and other detrimental effects.

Kodius what I meant was I personally would like to see it as more of a common characteristic of all berserks, and would be willing to sacrifice disablers for that.

Personally if I can run berserks and forms with more baseline volatility and if that would mean having to have less or weaker roars I would be okay with that. Some of the roars always seemed to be a little too close to magic for my tastes anyhow. Just my opinion.
Re: IF 12/08/2012 05:08 PM CST
>>Aside from the odd case where someone has more combat skills then required to circle, why does your method have an upside compared to straight circle?

I would have the circle formula still apply. The only difference is there would a modification min it to include bonuses to those that met specific minimum criteria, thats all.

Same thing would apply to mastery skills, like now someone with 800 in 2 melee weapons gets 200 ranks more than someone with 600 in 12 melee weapon skills.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: IF 12/08/2012 05:21 PM CST
>Codiax is the top weaponsmithing character in the game, according to the prestige boards.

I got distracted by RL. But I'm working on it.

<stare>

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Fear Items 12/09/2012 05:01 AM CST
>>I would much much rather have more zerk power that allows us to shrug off damage, disablers, and stuns in order to get in close and do damage. To me this is a better barbarian way than just getting our own disablers.

>>Not a GvG argument, but this sounds alot like Protect Self (Paladin 100th ability, has a lengthy cooldown).

A little late on this, but Barbarians have had pulsing anti-stun and damage reduction in their berserks far longer than Paladins have had protect self, so it's simply following precedent.
Re: Fear Items 12/10/2012 10:45 PM CST
>>A little late on this, but Barbarians have had pulsing anti-stun and damage reduction in their berserks far longer than Paladins have had protect self, so it's simply following precedent.

Barbarians have had mountains more development and consistent GM's, so I have no doubt that their abilities are the bees knees and have had access to all sorts of yummy things. However I think the Anti Stun spell has been around as far back as I remember(web move), before berserk had the pulsing stun breaks, but I could be mistaken.
Re: Fear Items 12/10/2012 10:51 PM CST
>>Barbarians have had mountains more development and consistent GM's, so I have no doubt that their abilities are the bees knees and have had access to all sorts of yummy things. However I think the Anti Stun spell has been around as far back as I remember(web move), before berserk had the pulsing stun breaks, but I could be mistaken.

Yes, AS has been around forever. I'm just saying it's funny to call an ability "Paladinish" when it's a direct conversion from 2.0 mechanics that have been around for almost a decade.
Re: Fear Items 12/10/2012 11:29 PM CST
I was saying the particular idea, as worded, seemed a lot like our 100th ability (which sadly, most people tell me never seems to work, so eh). I wasnt saying we had a monopoly on stun removal, our stun removal has been honestly, really crappy vs barbarian stun removal, but I think thats more about having a decade of very little development for paladins than it is a barb issue. Please dont take what I said in as anything more than "huh, i think THAT already exists" and not "OMG NO ALZ THE CC BREAKS BE OURZ" :)
Re: Fear Items 12/10/2012 11:31 PM CST
>> but I think thats more about having a decade of very little development for paladins than it is a barb issue.

Yes, Paladins need a new lead, lead GMs to guild, which can be strengthened by the Ranger ability beseech GMs to code.
Re: Fear Items 12/10/2012 11:37 PM CST
I spat my coke all over my monitor.

Well played sir.
Re: IF 12/12/2012 02:58 PM CST
I must be doing something wrong here - I tried Dragon/Wildfire/Piranha/Contemplation/Turtle and altogether they lasted for a grand total of 8 minutes - that's 3 basics 1 intro and 1 expert.

Circle: 169
Showing all skills with field experience.

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate Fraction
Inner Fire: 812 55% intrigued (16/34) Augmentation: 652 70% interested (12/34)
Warding: 407 42% perusing (2/34)

You feel a jolt as your vision snaps shut.
> med flame
You begin to meditate upon the chakrel amulet, your inner fire swelling as you center your mind, body, and spirit.
Surrounding your reflection is a bright aura of beautiful flames extending a quarter of your height above you.

You recall that you have 2 training sessions remaining with the Guild.
You have received training in 9 abilities from the Path of the Horde.
You have received training in 12 abilities from the Path of the Flame.
You have received training in 9 abilities from the Path of the Predator.

>
The horse-drawn carriage's driver pulls on his reigns, slowing it to a complete stop. He slowly assists his passengers off and begins scanning the crowd for more.

>

The Human driver says, "I'm leaving shortly, returning to the ferry to Riverhaven. If you would like to accompany me for a safe trip there, just join me." The Human driver smiles.
[JOIN HORSE-DRAWN CARRIAGE before it leaves if you would like to go to the ferry to Riverhaven.]

>
The bucket burbles suddenly as its contents begin to dissolve....

After a moment, it seems to calm down.
>
The winds shift slightly to bring respite from the hot sun.
>
The sun nears the far horizon as the clear blue sky deepens into a rich indigo.
> siut
Please rephrase that command.
> med flame
You begin to meditate upon the chakrel amulet, your inner fire swelling as you center your mind, body, and spirit.
Surrounding your reflection is a bright aura of beautiful flames extending a quarter of your height above you.

> sit
You sit down.

s> med contem
Roundtime: 8 sec.
sR>
Gazing into the flame, you contemplate a myriad of protective strategies.
sR>
Closer, closer the flames leap as you complete the martial analysis.
s>
The flame dance about you and fuel an enhanced defensive capability!
s> med flame
Surrounding your reflection is a bright aura of beautiful flames.

s>
The horse-drawn carriage's driver shouts, "And off we go! We'll be making our way to the Riverhaven ferry. I'll return for more passengers in a short while!"

s> med flame

s> stand
You stand back up.

> form start piranha
Your movements begin to mimic the rapid rythm of the piranha.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
R>
The mule-drawn wagon's driver pulls on his reigns, slowing it to a complete stop. He slowly assists his passengers off and begins scanning the crowd for more.

R>

The Dwarven driver says, "I'm leaving shortly, returning to the ferry to Riverhaven. If you would like to accompany me for a safe trip there, just join me." The Dwarven driver smiles.
[JOIN MULE-DRAWN WAGON before it leaves if you would like to go to the ferry to Riverhaven.]

> form start turtle
With the determined movements of the turtle, you prepare to deflect incomining magical attacks.
R> form start dragon
You slowly center yourself, your mind growing quiet as a quickly building rage surges through your body, your limbs quaking with its boundless strength. A terrible roar of fury and bloodlust rips from your throat as the Form of the Dragon consumes you, only a thread of control fighting back the descent into a berserker's madness.
R> med flame
A powerful gale threatens the aura forming around you.

> bers wildfire

>
You sense the rage within you well up and explode in a wild rage of dangerous power. The world dissolves in blood-red shadow, and your heart pounds madly within your chest, igniting bone, sinew, and muscle with savage strength!
> med flame
Surrounding your reflection is a large aura of beautiful flames.

> med power
Roundtime: 7 sec.
R>
Symbolic representations of your inner fire manipulations begin to form.
R>
The threads of control maintaining your focus, rage and calm are now clearly visible.
>
You are currently practicing the Turtle Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.
You are currently practicing the Dragon Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.
You are currently practicing the Piranha Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.
You are completely consumed with the Wildfire Berserk.
The Contemplation meditation is still burned into your mind.

|

>
The mule-drawn wagon's driver shouts, "And off we go! We'll be making our way to the Riverhaven ferry. I'll return for more passengers in a short while!"

>
Blood pumping loudly, you whip about in a tumultuous fury.
> med flame
Surrounding your reflection is a tiny aura of beautiful flames.

>
Xibar sets, slowly dropping below the horizon.
> med flame
Surrounding your reflection is a flickering aura of beautiful flame.

> med flame
Surrounding your reflection is a tiny aura of beautiful flames.

>
> med flame
Surrounding your reflection is a flickering aura of beautiful flame.

>
> med flame
You see your reflection surrounded by a dim glow as if a flame lurked just out of sight.

> med power
Roundtime: 5 sec.
R>
R>
The threads of control maintaining your focus, rage and calm are now clearly visible.
>
You are currently practicing the Turtle Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.
You are currently practicing the Dragon Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.
You are currently practicing the Piranha Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.
You are deeply enraged with the Wildfire Berserk.

|

> med power
Roundtime: 4 sec.
R>
>
>
You are thoroughly inflamed with the Wildfire Berserk.

|

> med flame
You see your reflection surrounded by a dim glow as if a flame lurked just out of sight.

>
> med flame

>
The horse-drawn carriage's driver pulls on his reigns, slowing it to a complete stop. He slowly assists his passengers off and begins scanning the crowd for more.

>
The wild fire powering your limbs flickers, and then goes out entirely.
>
You feel your inner fire cool as you finish practicing the Form of the Dragon.
>

The Human driver says, "I'm leaving shortly, returning to the ferry to Riverhaven. If you would like to accompany me for a safe trip there, just join me." The Human driver smiles.
[JOIN HORSE-DRAWN CARRIAGE before it leaves if you would like to go to the ferry to Riverhaven.]

>
You feel your inner fire cool as you finish practicing the Form of the Turtle.
>
The horse-drawn carriage's driver shouts, "And off we go! We'll be making our way to the Riverhaven ferry. I'll return for more passengers in a short while!"

>

Not sure what to make of it.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: IF 12/12/2012 06:53 PM CST
>>I must be doing something wrong here - I tried Dragon/Wildfire/Piranha/Contemplation/Turtle and altogether they lasted for a grand total of 8 minutes - that's 3 basics 1 intro and 1 expert.

That sounds about right for outside of battle, from what we've been told so far. What do you feel is wrong with it exactly?

I agree that generally I feel like we could use a small uptweak, or the IF cost of berserks needs to be lowered a bit, or some such.
Re: IF 12/12/2012 07:40 PM CST
>>I agree that generally I feel like we could use a small uptweak, or the IF cost of berserks needs to be lowered a bit, or some such.

Kodius has said with the fix to room mana, we may get a tweak to IF. I hope...

~The Prydaen~
Re: IF 12/20/2012 12:43 AM CST
>>with 812 IF I can't maintain anything more than 1 basic meditation and a basic+expert form outside of combat

>You appear to be doing something wrong. With 620 IF I was able to:

>Startup Meditations Seek, Bastion and Contemplation. Wait 30 seconds for my IF to jump back up to 15%.
>Startup Forms Bear, Dragon. After a few minutes my IF was back up to 20%.
>Startup Berserk Cyclone.

Might someone clue me in on how to tell how much IF I have and what percentage I'm at? Being a less experienced with barbarians is making it difficult for me to get an idea of what kind of resources I'm working with. Mana is pretty straight forward. I don't have a clue with IF.
Re: IF 12/20/2012 01:38 AM CST
You need to use the Meditate Power ability to get the bar that will show you percentages... only it doesn't work with Genie so far. Meditate Flame will give you messaging about your Fire's strength, but it isn't as specific as Power. On my baby barb I elected to not learn (unlearn? I forget now) Power and make do with just the Flame messaging in favor of freeing up training sessions.

~The Prydaen~
Re: IF 12/20/2012 07:45 AM CST
IF are (is?) your actual ranks in the inner fire skill. So 812 is the number of ranks he has not a power measure.

Re: IF 12/20/2012 02:30 PM CST
I'll look into making Power work with Genie. 812 IF ranks is what what I meant.

Infused chakrel will yield interesting possibilities, but it is likely to be festivals/merchants/quests only until after Enchanting is completed.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: IF 12/20/2012 02:47 PM CST
>>I'll look into making Power work with Genie. 812 IF ranks is what what I meant.

If it helps, Conny is looking into from the Genie perspective as well.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: IF 12/20/2012 06:28 PM CST
You tap a curved greatsword with a chakrel stone pommel inside your greatsword sheath.
>
The large black steel blade follows a slight curve, though sharpened to a razor edge on both sides of the blade. A long hilt curves in the opposite direction of the blade and ends with a white glaes pommel cage that holds a faceted chakrel stone.

Will this be infused chakral in 3.0? It is a faceted chakral stone in a greatsword?
______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Bit Player of M'Riss
Re: IF 12/21/2012 08:38 PM CST
>Infused chakrel will yield interesting possibilities, but it is likely to be festivals/merchants/quests only until after Enchanting is completed.

Wait, what? Chakrel will be enchanting?

Weapons for Sale:
Combat Balance List:
Re: IF 12/21/2012 09:50 PM CST
>>Wait, what? Chakrel will be enchanting?

I think I heard a heart break through my monitor.

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: IF 12/21/2012 10:18 PM CST
I believe chakral will be stone carving. But maybe the mechanism of what will result lies in the enchanting code.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Bit Player of M'Riss
Re: IF 12/21/2012 10:31 PM CST
Calm down, I'm sure this is somewhat like how Barbarians use skills similar to what Mages use, but in a purely barbarian fashion that is nothing like using magic.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: IF 12/21/2012 11:06 PM CST
Haha, no, not enchanting. I'll get to it AFTER enchanting though :P

Chakrel weapons will come in a variety of flavors. The basic ones everyone has now will simply act as IF batteries that can max out IF once per day IIRC.

Attempting to enchant an infused chakrel weapon will be one of the more awesome things in the game world :) Can't wait to write that code!!!

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: IF 12/21/2012 11:56 PM CST
Whew. You scared me for a moment.

Weapons for Sale:
Combat Balance List:
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page