No experience on some spells 12/10/2013 08:19 PM CST
First thing I noticed was that Ethereal fissure doesn't seem to reward any experience at all.

Vertigo doesn't seem to reward any experience at all.

Debilitation experience seems to be a little too low, even casting at 100 mana on creatures above my skill(to get the slimmest success) and creatures reasonably below(to get the greatest success that should still teach) I'm lucky to move a mind state per cast.

TM experience is a little on the low side, I'm trying to rationalize this as it was completely out of whack before, but it does seem like I'm burning my mana to no real gain, though this I'm still playing with.

Just some initial thoughts.
Re: No experience on some spells 12/10/2013 08:45 PM CST
>First thing I noticed was that Ethereal fissure doesn't seem to reward any experience at all.

I learned a little off of it (I think 2/34), casting close to cap.

>>Vertigo doesn't seem to reward any experience at all.
Debilitation experience seems to be a little too low, even casting at 100 mana on creatures above my skill(to get the slimmest success) and creatures reasonably below(to get the greatest success that should still teach) I'm lucky to move a mind state per cast.

Agree with Vertigo, although most single-cast debils weren't really very efficient in 3.0. With 500 Debil against germishdin I had a hard time getting about 2/34 with Vertigo or Ice Patch. They are resistant to TC. Frostbite, as before, got me moving swimmingly. Granted, 500 might be at the soft-cap level of germish and I need to go try Vertigo against something more difficult in a 1v1 situation.
Re: No experience on some spells 12/10/2013 09:14 PM CST
Strange, I cast Fissure at at my personal cap and quite literally learned nothing, just attunement from harnessing just a few seconds ago...
Re: No experience on some spells 12/10/2013 09:30 PM CST
>per
You reach out with your senses and see flaring streams of roiling Elemental mana coursing through the area.
Letting your senses extend further, you feel there is luminous mana below you, and shimmering mana above you.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
R>prep etf 30
That won't affect your current attunement very much.
You trace a geometric sigil in the air, shaping the pattern of the Ethereal Fissure spell.
R>exp util
SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate fraction
Utility: 483 78.82% clear (0/34)

>harn 30
You tap into the mana from thirty of the surrounding streams and attempt to keep it channeling in a stream around you.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
R>
You feel fully prepared to cast your spell.
>cast air
You roll your hands in an elliptical pattern in front of you.
A spinning ball of vivid blue...etc.
>exp util

Utility: 483 78.82% perusing (2/34)
Re: No experience on some spells 12/10/2013 09:42 PM CST
Ahm, as a side-note but related to Utility. I was actually going to create a separate post, but....

What's the point of Air Bubble now? Basically the only reason to get it in 3.0 was because it was the best at teaching Utility and BG, despite being a higher tier spell, taught wretchedly. Now that's been fixed; I can move Utility at a decent clip using BG. My utility script goes something like,

loop:
Prep BG
Point! Point! Point!
Shake that booty! Shake that BOOOO-tay!
goto loop:

And learn away, but can't learn off of the (Basic tier) AB. As it should be, at 480 ranks. All is right in the universe. But that makes me wonder, what's the point of Air Bubble? I thought we'd moved away from 'basic' spells becoming forgotten stepping stones at higher ranks. Air Lash and Geyser and Gar Zeng are still pretty zippy spells at high ranks, I feel like the Utility analog loses some oomph. I say get rid of the whole 'doesn't dispel poison gas' nonsense and open that up as a possibility when you get close to capping the spell. Or something.
Re: No experience on some spells 12/10/2013 09:43 PM CST
You reach out with your senses and see shining streams of roiling Elemental mana coursing through the area.
Letting your senses extend further, you feel there is fulgent mana to the south, and flickering mana to the north.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
>prep etf 40
That will disrupt about half your current attunement.
You trace a careful sigil in the air, shaping the pattern of the Ethereal Fissure spell.
>exp skill util
Showing Utility experience:

Utility: 527 83.01% clear (0/34)

>harn 40
You tap into the mana from forty of the surrounding streams and attempt to keep it channeling in a stream around you.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
>
You feel fully prepared to cast your spell.
>cast aether
>
You roll your hands in an elliptical pattern in front of you.
A spinning ball of vivid blue aether appears within the pattern your hands define.
You contribute your harnessed streams to increase the pattern's potential.
The spherical ellipse of vivid blue aether flattens and expands. A fine mist covers the ellipse, which clears on a gust of wind leaving a fissure in its place.
>
You feel fully rested.
>exp skill util
Showing Utility experience:

Utility: 527 83.01% clear (0/34)
Re: No experience on some spells 12/10/2013 10:03 PM CST
HRmmph. Yep, something wonky there. You were in a lower-base mana room. My attunement in 836. Don't think that should matter, just more data for analysis.

ETF is Advanced, not Esoteric. So it could be that you're reaching the cap for Advanced spells at 530 and I'm just nearing it at 480. But that seems wrong. I learn Augmentation off Advanced spells at 590's or whatever I'm at...
Re: No experience on some spells 12/10/2013 10:14 PM CST
>What's the point of Air Bubble now?

I don't know what I would do in a universe where air bubble had a point.

Because Necromancers.
-TEVESHSZAT
Re: No experience on some spells 12/10/2013 10:26 PM CST
I also backfire ETF still, which leads me to believe, perhaps wrongly, that if I can still make it harder for myself, I should still learn.

I am experiencing this exact same issue with Blufmore and Vertigo, literally 0 experience gain casting right to the point where I would backfire, waiting for full prep.

Unrelatedly, I'm also finding debilitation training to be weird in general, TM which is generally close for me can learn on creatures that won't even move debilitation, I was draining so fast that even 60 mana casts (where I backfire at 85, so thats reasonable?) were not able to advance my mindstate, and I was actually draining faster than I could learn.