Silence bug 03/02/2014 11:45 PM CST
Fixed a bug with silence that wasn't calculating the invis refresh time properly, and was causing it to refresh all the time in under 5 seconds. It was always intended that after invisibility was refreshed that there be a period of time when it would not immediately refresh again based on skill. This means if you lose your invis, you should go back to invis pretty quickly, but if you immediately lose it again - it will be some time before it reforms again.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Magic, Sentients Team Member
Cleric Advocate
Re: Silence bug 03/03/2014 02:42 AM CST

So I start silence, i go into invisibility, I attack something, obviously losing invisibility.

30 seconds later it reforms.

Always 30 seconds, never more, never less.

Not sure if that's what you were going for or not.
Re: Silence bug 03/03/2014 08:28 AM CST
>>Always 30 seconds, never more, never less.

Well, yeah, but only if you are constantly going out of invis. The skill based refresh timer starts when you turn invisible, not when you fall out of it, so if you spend any time actually remaining invisible then the refresh minimizes to less than 5 seconds.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Cleric Advocate
Re: Silence bug 03/03/2014 09:19 AM CST
Nice catch, glad this isn't an

>invis
>attack
>invis
>attack
>invis
>attack

x 100 skill any more.
Re: Silence bug 03/03/2014 03:13 PM CST
>Well, yeah, but only if you are constantly going out of invis.

Gotcha.

The skill based refresh timer starts when you turn invisible.

Is this based on capping the khri? Because I'm sure I'm capping it and it's still 30 seconds, again maybe that's what you're going for, but:

A) 30 seconds is a long time.
B) If its even longer for lower circle/skill thieves... yikes.

I get that it can't be every 5 seconds every time, but this seriously cripples this ability to near uselessness in combat (which I'm guessing is what you were told to do), and we already have so few and so many rolls stacked against us.

As a compromise I'd like to suggest the complete removal of WATCH.
Re: Silence bug 03/03/2014 03:21 PM CST
>>this seriously cripples this ability to near uselessness in combat (which I'm guessing is what you were told to do

I don't think a roundtime-free ambush prep every 30 seconds is all that useless. That comes out to what, one roundtime-free ambush every ~6 hide/attack sets?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Silence bug 03/03/2014 03:25 PM CST

>I don't think a roundtime-free ambush prep every 30 seconds is all that useless. That comes out to what, one roundtime-free ambush every ~6 hide/attack sets?

Not really because if you're using it in PvE combat, odds are very high you're already in hiding when it fires.

If you're using it for PvP that's another matter, but against someone using WATCH and immediately being searched and pointed just after silence fires, you're effectively locked out from hiding, and and being able using 96% of your thief abilities for 30 seconds.

Again, I'm not saying something didn't need to be done. It did. As the first thief in test, I told the GMs it was firing too fast.

But this change... without something to counter it, is too drastic.

Also again, keep in mind, for me its 30-35 seconds capped, so what is it for someone 150 circles under me? 2 minutes?
Re: Silence bug 03/03/2014 04:08 PM CST
>>But this change... without something to counter it, is too drastic.

Well, I've already reduced some of the penalties associated with hiding vs other players, which probably helps more than this particular fix hurts. As far as the actual durations go, I'd have to actually see how things worked in live combat. Focusing on just the worse case scenario of immediately acting out of invisibility doesn't sway me much, especially since you have another ability you can use to go invisible that can help fill in a gap on occasion.

One other important thing to remember - http://cheezburger.com/3352758016

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Cleric Advocate
Re: Silence bug 03/03/2014 04:23 PM CST
We tried Watch the other night and it got a nerf bat, or some other side to the stealth perception side got a nerf bat. It's easier to hide now.
Re: Silence bug 03/03/2014 05:35 PM CST

>Focusing on just the worse case scenario of immediately acting out of invisibility doesn't sway me much.

I'm not sure how it's the worst case scenario.

Either you'd immediately attack, or immediately be spotted by a search or outed by an aoe spell/abiltiy/effect that can hit in the shadows, not to mention being spotted passively while advancing. Either way it would immediately break, and you'd have 30 seconds (at the very, very best) of nothing.

I guess you could kind of front load it, go into invisibility and wait for 30 seconds doing nothing before attacking, but that's only going to work one time per engagement... and yuck, that's like self inflicted RT or something.

Don't get me wrong, silence would still definitely have it's utility uses, I just cringe to see thieves continue to lose combat viable stuff, when we already have so little.
Re: Silence bug 03/03/2014 05:46 PM CST
Also, I just wanted to quickly point out in prime it's 15 seconds.
Re: Silence bug 03/03/2014 06:04 PM CST

I agree with WATCH should be removed. Not sure why it really exists. Stealth needs some changes to make invizo not the only real way to use it. That being said, Necro's have had the 28-30 second reform for a long time and while our ability's do not require it. I don't think Invizo was intended to be an absolute defense against aimed weapons and TM.

-Zerreck
Re: Silence bug 03/03/2014 06:21 PM CST
Watch sucks now. I think we need to play with the new stealth mods more before maintaining the bandwagon.
Re: Silence bug 03/03/2014 11:40 PM CST
>That being said, Necro's have had the 28-30 second reform for a long time and while our ability's do not require it.

That requires what... 7th circle?

So, a 7th circle Necro has the same invisibility pulse as a near 200th circle thief who is using a skill based timer.

Just tested it myself in both prime and test before making this post.

I must be crazy, cuz I just don't get it.
Re: Silence bug 03/03/2014 11:51 PM CST

I don't think its actually based on skill. And while i may get the 28-30 second timer at 7th circle. I also get it at 180+ myself. Also my thief friend circle 40 just tested it. Was around 30 seconds for him also. So i don't think any sort of skill check is happening/ To speed up the pulse on it.

-Zerreck
Re: Silence bug 03/04/2014 12:05 AM CST
>>I must be crazy, cuz I just don't get it.

And I'm fine with that - considering there hasn't been any actual testing of the ability under any condition except those that determine the max timer for one particular player. Now, folks can actually play test the change and give feedback, and we can see what can be done while this is still in Test, or we can theorize it some more on the forums and let the play testing happen when 3.1 rolls into the live servers and then possibly make modifications.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Cleric Advocate
Re: Silence bug 03/04/2014 09:00 AM CST
I might be misreading what Ricinus fixed (it sounded like a fix for silence vs invisibility as a whole), but it sounds like silence has the unique advantage of refreshing faster than other invisibility spells, depending on how long you've been invisible.

So EotB, SoV, and RF always refresh after 30 seconds, but Silence can refresh faster based on skill/how long you've been invisible.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Silence bug 03/04/2014 09:36 AM CST
You can't compare this change to RF or EoTB. RF and EoTB take 30 seconds to reform no matter what; you could spend 5 minutes in RF or EoTB invis, cast a spell and still have to wait 30 seconds.

From what I read in Ricinus's posts, if you're in silence invis for the better part of 30 seconds, invis can potentially reform in under 5 seconds based on skill. In many ways, silence is still way better than RF and EoTB. You just can't attack and have invis reform right away unless you wait a little while before attacking.

Thinking back, I don't think invis was ever intended to replace mundane stealth, which makes a lot of sense to me.
Re: Silence bug 03/04/2014 10:08 AM CST
>>You can't compare this change to RF or EoTB. RF and EoTB take 30 seconds to reform no matter what; you could spend 5 minutes in RF or EoTB invis, cast a spell and still have to wait 30 seconds.

...that was kinda my point.

Re: Silence bug 03/04/2014 11:04 AM CST
I tested with just dropping a coin, and then picking up to drop silence. The first drop/breaking of silence lasted for ~5 seconds, and silence was brought back up. I dropped/picked up the coin again, and it took 85 seconds for silence to pop back on (no movement, no combat, just sitting there). I retried this in prime, and for me, its a 10-15 second reactivation time, each time. Mid 90s, the 3.1 reactivate time seems a bit much.
Re: Silence bug 03/04/2014 11:28 AM CST
>...that was kinda my point.

Sorry, wasn't responding to your post. Just making a blanket response.

>I tested with just dropping a coin, and then picking up to drop silence. The first drop/breaking of silence lasted for ~5 seconds, and silence was brought back up. I dropped/picked up the coin again, and it took 85 seconds for silence to pop back on (no movement, no combat, just sitting there). I retried this in prime, and for me, its a 10-15 second reactivation time, each time. Mid 90s, the 3.1 reactivate time seems a bit much.

That's a very valid point if it's taking 85 seconds to reform. I don't think the max should be any more than other invis types (around 30 secs); thieves are more reliant on stealth and/or invis over the regular course of combat than any other guild.
Re: Silence bug 03/04/2014 12:22 PM CST

>it took 85 seconds for silence to pop back on (no movement, no combat, just sitting there). I retried this in prime, and for me, its a 10-15 second reactivation time, each time. Mid 90s, the 3.1 reactivate time seems a bit much.

>So i don't think any sort of skill check is happening/ To speed up the pulse on it.

Thank you, those were some the points I was trying to make. Any which way you slice it, something isn't working or needs tweaking.

>Now, folks can actually play test the change and give feedback, and we can see what can be done while this is still in Test, or we can theorize it some more on the forums and let the play testing happen when 3.1 rolls into the live servers and then possibly make modifications.

Yes, please. We need more people testing. I get so lonely in there all by myself.

Just kidding. I don't. DR single player mode!

:D
Re: Silence bug 03/04/2014 03:26 PM CST
For more perspective..

Kneeling using delay (not sure if it matters for duration):
You are under the influence of the Silence meditation, which should last around 10 roisaen.

So around 10 minutes or so, figure 600 seconds. 85 seconds is ~14% of my ability that it is effectively doing nothing but draining conc. I imagine it's a bit worse the lower you go down in level.
Re: Silence bug 03/04/2014 04:46 PM CST
Ok, figured I'd put together a different version for you folks to try out. This one has a max refresh of 40 seconds and a minimum refresh of 25 seconds, and with higher skill you can work off some of that refresh time while invisible.

So, a circle 1 thief, sitting to start this khri, would wait 40 seconds after becoming visible before the invisiblity kicked back in regardless of how long they were hanging out invisible prior to being spotted.

Your grandfathered base rank mid-90ish thief not using any starting perks to boost potency would wait 25 seconds after becoming visible, also regardless of how much time spent invisible. Add in sitting/delay and 5 seconds of that 25 seconds could be counted while invisible, making the refresh 20 seconds after popping out of invisible.

And finally, the uber guy can work off all but whatever is left before the next pulse, which is anywhere from 0-5 seconds. Being bounced out of invisible repeatedly will of course will leave the refresh at the minimum of 25 seconds.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Cleric Advocate
Re: Silence bug 03/05/2014 10:16 AM CST
>And finally, the uber guy can work off all but whatever is left before the next pulse, which is anywhere from 0-5 seconds. Being bounced out of invisible repeatedly will of course will leave the refresh at the minimum of 25 seconds.

Really not being snarky here.

I'm not understanding what actually changed other than it went from 30 to 25?

Previously (tested minutes after the first post) if I started silence and stayed invisible for ~30 seconds and then broke it, the reform would happen in something like 0-5 seconds.

Now (tested late last night), with the different version, it's the same thing, just ~25 seconds instead of 30. If I stay invisible for ~25 seconds and then break it, the reform happens in 0-5 seconds.

Am I missing something?

Either way as feedback I have to say in regards to:

>Being bounced out of invisible repeatedly will of course will leave the refresh at the minimum of 25 seconds.

My previous feedback stands.

Which was:

>Either you'd immediately attack, or immediately be spotted by a search or outed by an aoe spell/abiltiy/effect that can hit in the shadows, not to mention being spotted passively while advancing. Either way it would immediately break, and you'd have 30 seconds (at the very, very best) of nothing.

>I guess you could kind of front load it, go into invisibility and wait for 30 seconds doing nothing before attacking, but that's only going to work one time per engagement... and yuck, that's like self inflicted RT or something.
Re: Silence bug 03/05/2014 10:19 AM CST

Sorry I meant to also include the positive line:

Don't get me wrong, silence would still definitely have it's utility uses.

I need an edit button, or to just stop posting in the morning.
Re: Silence bug 03/05/2014 10:41 AM CST
>>I'm not understanding what actually changed other than it went from 30 to 25?

I'm not sure I can lay out the changes any clearer than I already have. For you personally, the only difference is the change from 30 to 25, all other changes only apply to folks who haven't already capped the ability. For those folks, the worst case scenario of duration before the next refresh has been drastically reduced at the cost of the best case scenario being lengthened. But since...

>>Either you'd immediately attack, or immediately be spotted by a search or outed by an aoe spell/abiltiy/effect that can hit in the shadows, not to mention being spotted passively while advancing. Either way it would immediately break, and you'd have 30 seconds (at the very, very best) of nothing.

This should be considered a vast improvement, as well as being more in line with other guild abilities. As skill improves, the ability can still reform quicker than other abilities, at least to a point.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Cleric Advocate
Re: Silence bug 03/05/2014 03:12 PM CST

>I'm not sure I can lay out the changes any clearer than I already have. For you personally, the only difference is the change from 30 to 25,

Thank you, again I was not trying to be snarky... I just wasn't sure. It was early in the morning and I thought I'd post to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it.
Re: Silence bug 03/06/2014 08:29 AM CST
<<Yes, please. We need more people testing. I get so lonely in there all by myself.
Just kidding. I don't. DR single player mode!>>

Try playing plat at 7 am in the morning.:-)

>stat full
Brave Adventurers Questing:
Yacov

Active Players: 1
Active Mentors: 0

Staff on duty:

heh.

<<If I can't cast thunderclap, you can't summon the dark lord of the abyss to devour the flesh of the innocent>>
Re: Silence bug 03/07/2014 02:34 PM CST
Some more data points. Both characters used sitting and delay to start Silence, and then waited 1 minute before they broke inviso.

54th with 95 Util & 152 IM: Reformed after 39 seconds.

150th with 359 Util & 575 IM: Reformed after 5 seconds. I dropped inviso again approximately 30 seconds later and it reformed very quickly. My timer said 3 seconds but I didn't hit the start button exactly when I dropped inviso.

As for my opinion on the new Silence, I don't really know yet. I use it typically in PvP and haven't done much in Test, especially with the new stealth changes, but I don't see my use of it changing or really being effected much by this. Otherwise it seems to be working as intended.

I will add that I like having inviso reform be skill based. I always like when timers can be reduced with skill.