Ambush testing 02/02/2014 03:50 AM CST
So tested the stealth changes a bit, nothing very concrete. It seems the backstab v perception check against players is still difficult to pull off at level.

Yamcer with : Stealth = 651 & Backstab 551

Stilva with: Perception = 638

khri start skulk
Focusing intently, you mentally weave together three mantras, allowing the power contained within to slowly spread out from your core.
Focusing your mind, you look around yourself to find the subtle differences lurking in the shadows nearby. After several deep breaths, your senses have attuned themselves to finding the best hiding spots.
Focusing your mind, you attempt to attune your senses to even your most minor movements. You quickly feel more comfortable with your ability to control your motions to prevent detection.
Letting your thoughts fall into the depths of the self, you discover inner affinity for the shadows, until you are as one of them.
Your mental focus solidifies, and you feel completely attuned to the shadows around you, even your movement difficult to notice.
Roundtime: 5 sec.

>mark all stil
You carefully size up Stilva, gauging her overall perception.
As you consider stealing from Stilva, you believe it's somewhat of a long shot.
You also eye Stilva over, trying to discern how much wealth she is carrying.
Stilva looks to have more than enough money to 'share', and seems to have a bucketful of coins.
Of this wealth, you believe the makeup is a great deal of copper, a great deal of bronze, a large amount of silver, barely any gold, and no platinum.
You are somewhat uncertain of the accuracy of your judgement.
As you consider hiding around Stilva, it'll be troublesome to be unnoticed.
You feel somewhat confident in the accuracy of your judgement.
As you consider an attempt to stalk Stilva, you believe it'll be troublesome to be unnoticed.
As you consider a stealthy assault on Stilva, you're pretty sure you'll be noticed.
Roundtime: 2 sec.

H>ambu clout stil
Quietly, you raise your right hand up to your side, and in a single, fluid movement chop straight at Stilva's neck!
You are unable to surprise Stilva with your sneak attack!
Stilva is unable to avoid your hand, and you clout her temple with a single precise stroke! Stilva seems to shrug off the blow.

H>ambu clout stil
Quietly, you raise your right hand up to your side, and in a single, fluid movement chop straight at Stilva's neck!
Stilva is unable to avoid your hand, and you clout her temple with a single precise stroke! Stilva seems to shrug off the blow.
Roundtime: 3 sec.

H>

H>ambu slash stil
You slip out of the shadows behind Stilva! Displaying controlled ferocity, you draw back before smoothly slicing at Stilva's leg with swift and elegant precision.
You feel the attack make contact, but you don't think the cut was precise enough to cause any lasting effects.
Roundtime: 5 sec.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Ambush testing 02/02/2014 11:50 AM CST

I think someone is gonna need to know both of your stat #s (including buffs) to make any use out of that.

Yes, you are failing the stealth check, but you aren't "missing" the ambush you're hitting... but then losing the SvS contest.

Even if you were passing the stealth check, that just gives a bonus to the to-hit roll, so the results would be the same.

Sorry if that's not exactly the point your post is trying to make. Either way appreciate you taking the time to test some of this stuff out and hope you keep it up.
Re: Ambush testing 02/02/2014 01:52 PM CST
Yep, pretty much what LHALLFIN said and also i guess landing your ambushes should be a debilitation check for the most part, not sure if backstabbing is factored in at all?

Based on the notes i have gathered from this discussion thread the stat contest for ambushing should be something like this:

Stun - Power vs Fortitude
Slash - Finesse vs Reflex
Choke - Finesse vs Fortitude
Screen - Finesse vs Reflex
Clout - Finesse vs Will
Ignite - Finesse vs Reflex

For clout:
Agility, Reflex, Intellegence vs Discipline, Wisdom, Intelligence.

For slash:
Agility, Reflex, Intellegence vs Reflex, Agility, Intelligence.
Re: Ambush testing 02/02/2014 02:23 PM CST
Yamcer's stats. I forgot about the stat contests and didn't ask Stilva.

Strength : 40 Reflex : 65
Agility : 62 Charisma : 60
Discipline : 62 Wisdom : 44
Intelligence : 45 Stamina : 45

I'm not sure how my finesse would fail against two different stat contests though.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Ambush testing 02/02/2014 03:03 PM CST
Strength : 60 Reflex : 77
Agility : 77 Charisma : 77
Discipline : 77 Wisdom : 75
Intelligence : 75 Stamina : 60

Didn't have any buffs up at the time.
Re: Ambush testing 02/02/2014 03:14 PM CST
ah, stupid stat contests. :(

Yamcer

Re: Ambush testing 02/02/2014 05:15 PM CST

Thanks for the stat's info.

So as an example, what would happen in this situation if it was any MU guild with Yam's stats casting any debilitation spell against Stil.

I think we all know it would never be fully resisted, and more likely would hit for major success every single time.

This is what I really think needs to be addressed.

Maybe instead of having the stealth vs perception being +to-hit, it should be a bonus to SvS similar to how (people tell me) more Mana can buff SvS for casters.

But again that doesn't really help because it doesn't address the real problem which is: Thieves cannot debilitate targets that we would actually need to debilitate.
Re: Ambush testing 02/02/2014 05:33 PM CST

BTW, my entire post should only be taken under the context of the original post, which is to say: For PvP.
Re: Ambush testing 02/02/2014 06:34 PM CST
<<Thieves cannot debilitate targets that we would actually need to debilitate.>>

I agree.

Yamcer