Testing hit list 01/19/2014 06:37 PM CST
After talking to some people, there was at least a little interest in performing some regular-ish testing. What I was thinking was, every 2-3 days, posting a new 'target' to test. Ideally these would be 5-20 minute test sessions any player could do, and the template below would give some order as to what to test and how to do so, rather than just the sort of all-out blitzkrieg we normally do where everyone tests a hundred things in different ways. If there's any interest from the thief community I'll go ahead with this.

If there's not any remote interest, feel free to tell me that too. What would be expected would be, basically, to log in to test and fill out the form I provide. If there's anything explicitly missing from it, let me know. I just want to try to generate more actual data for the GMs, as it seems like we've been gloom and doom, and they get burned out and depressed and hate us all after a while.

Bear in mind that this should be primarily a test; it should be treated as 'I did this, and that happened' which should be free of opinions or colored (either way) language. It should be dispassionate and clinical if possible.

Again, if there's any interest in trying to set up some testing patterns like this, I'll start doing a new hit every few days. And if there isn't any interest, I'll have just embarrassed myself.

Current test name:
Your circle:
Your relevant skills (hiding, magics, weapons, armor, as appropriate)
At level:
Over level:
Under level:

Do it with no khri
Do it with small selection of khri (will be detailed, but generally assume it to be 2-3 specific ones)
Do it with everything else under the sun you can manage.

Overall experience in 5 words.
Re: Testing hit list 01/19/2014 07:03 PM CST
Hey guys, sorry I got tied up today and wanted to put out more info on this.

What would be useful for us is the # of minutes to ML each magic skill, and what approach you are taking to do it. We of course need your skills, stats and what you are using the abilities on. This will help us identify if any experience learning problems exist vs other Guilds.

The second piece of info is your % success rate with each ability on a given enemy. Again, stats, skills and the enemy will be useful here. This will help us identify if a particular ability or contest is too difficult.

Finally, some idea of how many abilities you can keep up at once, and which abilities those are. We would benefit from seeing if it fits what we have in mind.

Thanks!

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Testing hit list 01/20/2014 11:01 AM CST

16 minutes to lock Inner magic, sitting, using Khri Meditate with Serenity, Avoidance, Sensing, Sagacity (rotating with Liberation due to lower duration), Flight, Elusion, and Steady.

I'd run more, but if I do, I drop below 80% and lose a lot of the exp bonus from Meditate. After a lot of experimenting those are the hardest (highest tier) khri I can run at the same time without going below 80%.

Using the same khri its exactly 30 minutes to lock Augment and Utility, sitting, using Khri Meditate.

In combat or anything where I can't be sitting (for the increased concentration regen) and Khri Meditating, it takes me roughly 2-3 hours to lock IM, Aug and Utility from zero field exp.

In combat using Ambushes and Khri Prowess and Guile, Debilitation takes 5 minutes to lock, against 4 cabalists. I wouldn't normally do it that fast because it uses a lot of concentration to do that many ambushes that quickly while running Prowess and Guile at the same time. But if all I wanted to do was lock Deb and nothing else, 5 minutes.
Re: Testing hit list 01/20/2014 03:26 PM CST
>stats and skills

Strength : 24 Reflex : 30
Agility : 22 Charisma : 25
Discipline : 30 Wisdom : 28
Intelligence : 26 Stamina : 30

Concentration : 159 Max : 159
Circle: 47
Inner Magic: 126 00% clear (0/34) Augmentation: 78 00% clear (0/34)
Debilitation: 105 00% clear (0/34) Utility: 78 00% clear (0/34)

>some idea of how many abilities you can keep up at once

About two standing or three sitting indefinantly (until their duration runs out): 2 tier 2 khri (dampen and avoidance) or 1 tier 1 and 2 tier 2 khri (focus, sight, safe for secure combo)
Or four khri standing for about 5 mins when concentration runs out, as shown in next section:

>training and method

normal style: starting khri sitting (in half urban-ness), standing, and running into combat until they wear off
4 khri: a tier 1 and 2 for both Aug and Util
>khri check
You are under the influence of the Dampen meditation, which should last around 14 roisaen.
You are under the influence of the Avoidance meditation, which should last around 14 roisaen.
You are under the influence of the Focus meditation, which should last around 16 roisaen.
You are under the influence of the Hasten meditation, which should last around 17 roisaen.
>foc
Concentration: 117 Max: 159

ran out of concentration after about 5 mins:
>foc
Concentration: 7 Max: 159

Inner Magic: 126 02% ruminating (8/34)
Augmentation: 78 03% thinking (5/34)
Utility: 78 04% thinking (5/34)

same thing, but with only the tier 2 khri: dampen and avoidance
>khri check
You are under the influence of the Avoidance meditation, which should last around 14 roisaen.
You are under the influence of the Dampen meditation, which should last around 14 roisaen.

concentration remained high between 138 and 141 out of 159
IM Aug/Util %
5 min 5/34 3/34 09
10 min 8/34 5/34 14
14 end 11/34 7/34 16

The % is the percent to next rank to show how many pulses are between each point. Each pulse is about 2%

sitting, meditating: focus, hasten
Concentration stayed high (>90%) throughout the test. IM locked at 14 mins.
IM Aug/Util %
start 0 0 16
5 min 11/35 8/34 20
10 min 24/34 16/34 23
14 min 34/34 23/34 25
17 end 34/34 29/34 27

This time with tier 2 khri: avoidance, dampen
Concentration gradually decreased, after the 10 min mark it dropped below 40% and I got this message:
>You focus your mind back to the methods you use to overcome physical limitations, but have trouble concentrating.
and I had to wait for it to regenerate before meditating again.
IM Aug/Util %
start 0/34 0/34 27
5 min 14/34 10/34 29
10 min 23/34 16/34 34
14 end 30/34 20/34 36

Started focus, sight, and safe for secure combo (sitting in half urban-ness) to measure learning as I was opening boxes (no meditating).

start:
Inner Magic: 126 22% dabbling (1/34)
Augmentation: 78 41% dabbling (1/34)

end: 14 mins later when khri wore off
Inner Magic: 126 27% intrigued (16/34)
Augmentation: 78 50% very engaged (23/34)
Re: Testing hit list 01/21/2014 10:54 AM CST
<< Using the same khri its exactly 30 minutes to lock Augment and Utility, sitting, using Khri Meditate.

Didn't realize sitting down would make that big of an impact on learning, i was always doing it standing up and going for that 1-2 hour lock. I don't know how it compares to other guilds but if you were only focusing on locking your magics (chain-meditating), then 30 minutes still sounds pretty long for something like this. Also am i the only one who finds this pretty ironic that we're the only guild that requires to be sitting down to learn magic? We're gonna stick out like a bunch of sitting thieves.
Re: Testing hit list 01/21/2014 11:26 AM CST

>Didn't realize sitting down would make that big of an impact on learning

Sitting/kneeling gives a huge bonus to concentration regen, so you can use more khri at once and stay above 80% concentration.

Khri Meditate basically gives three exp bonuses.

1) Using it at all.
2) Using it while sitting/kneeling.
3) Using it while at more than 80% concentration.

My suggestion to help learning rates is to increase standard (while not using Khri Meditate) gains by about 50% (or more) and double (or more) the exp bonus from Khri Meditate, and remove its restrictions for sitting/kneeling and concentration level.

>We're gonna stick out like a bunch of sitting thieves.

You can use khri meditate while hiding, so you could tuck yourself into a safe spot and meditate in the shadows.

I'm not a huge fan of the fact that it leaves you wide open to attacks if you pvp. Not only will you be running khri that are not optimal to not getting ganked, but you're off balance and out of position. Not to mention spamming 10 second RTs. So the whole thing kinda leans you toward getting as far away from other players as possible while you're doing it and... I dunno I don't really like that.

Sorry for the tangent just thought that might be good to post.
Re: Testing hit list 01/21/2014 01:34 PM CST
>Also am i the only one who finds this pretty ironic that we're the only guild that requires to be sitting down to learn magic?

Actually I do train my mages sitting down for the added concentration regen. A small dip in concentration can cause more frequent backfires, which will either slow down your mindstate gain or make you use less mana, granting less experience per cast.

>I don't know how it compares to other guilds but if you were only focusing on locking your magics ..., then 30 minutes still sounds pretty long for something like this.

I'd say it's about average for non-cyclic magic training; 10 mins per skill isn't fast, but it alright. If you're willing to spread your learning you can also do things like open boxes or crafting, which is hard to do while training magic (all that time spent on cambrinth).

Is there a time when you really can't use khri? I use them in combat, stealing runs, opening boxes, and training athletics; just all the time. So much so that I don't really think you'd need to lock it at once because they'll probably lock later anyway.
Re: Testing hit list 01/24/2014 12:13 PM CST
relative to the other ambushes (don't have clout and ignite), slash seems to be more difficult. Slash and screen have the same contest, Finesse vs Reflex, but I can get screen to work 100% of the time against Unyns and Orc scouts. Even with buffs (strike, darken, focus, or focus, avoidance, prowess) I don't get more than just a scratch, even on nearly-dead opponents:

>app unyn quick
You are certain that the nightreaver unyn is extremely beat up.
The nightreaver unyn has a relatively minor wound.

[Roundtime: 3 seconds]
>hid
You melt into the background, convinced that your attempt to hide went unobserved.
Roundtime: 3 sec.

>ambush slash
The nightreaver unyn seems startled by your sneak attack!
You slip out of the shadows behind a nightreaver unyn! Displaying controlled ferocity, you draw back before smoothly slicing at the nightreaver unyn's leg with swift and elegant precision.
[You're nimbly balanced and in superior position.]
Roundtime: 4 sec.

I don't think I was able to hit orc scouts at all with slash.

Skills:
Stealth: 214 29.94% clear (0/34)
Backstab: 154 36.96% learning (3/34)
Small Edged: 161 72.75% dabbling (1/34)

22 agility, 30 reflex, 26 intell

Unyns:
You are certain that it is about as strong as you are.
You are certain that it is about as agile as you are.
You are certain that it is somewhat less disciplined than you are.
You are certain that it is somewhat less quick to react than you are.
You are certain that it is somewhat less conditioned than you are.

Also, stun appears to be harder than choke, even though my stats would favor the power contest over the finesse:
Power: 24 strength, 30 stamina, 30 discipline
Finesse: 22 agility, 30 reflex, 26 intelligence

I can use choke right from the start against unyns, but I can only get stun to work after choke debuffs their stamina.
Re: Testing hit list 01/24/2014 07:13 PM CST
<< What would be useful for us is the # of minutes to ML each magic skill, and what approach you are taking to do it. We of course need your skills, stats and what you are using the abilities on.

Here is my approach. I wanted to try training magic in a combat/hunting situation.

At my ranks i can run about 5 khri without taking any active drain, which is necessary to allow training debilitation through ambushes.

Looking at the options, there aren't many for utility, so i'm considering - hasten, shadowstep and sagacity.

1. hasten - already have the lowest possible RT, no effect
2. shadowstep - hide in melee, no effect
3. sagacity - leaves this as only viable option

Well doesn't matter, i'm going to need them all for utility training.

For the rest, i just wanted to have elusion and picking the other 2 out of which might contribute to general combat usefulness.

I came up with this - hasten, strike, elusion, focus, shadowstep. First i boosted my utility learning by mixing in some Sagacity until i drained down to about 30% concentration and then started training debilitation using ambushes.

Here is the log:

[18:31] Centering your mind, you allow your practiced discipline to spread throughout your body, making thought and motion one.
[18:31] Roundtime: 3 sec.
[18:31] >stand
[18:33] >khri check
[18:33] You are under the influence of the Hasten meditation, which should last around 35 roisaen.
[18:33] You are under the influence of the Sagacity meditation, which should last around 2 roisaen.
[18:33] You are under the influence of the Strike meditation, which should last around 34 roisaen.
[18:33] You are under the influence of the Elusion meditation, which should last around 25 roisaen.
[18:33] You are under the influence of the Focus meditation, which should last around 36 roisaen.
[18:33] You are under the influence of the Shadowstep meditation, which should last around 25 roisaen.
[18:33] >
[18:36] Your strong sense of survival fades, leaving you feeling unsure of what to do if you are attacked.
[18:36] >khri delay sagacity
[18:36] You begin to draw your focus on surviving any assault.
[18:36] >
[18:36] You carefully relax your mind through your expert training, allowing you to focus on your survival even under the most dire threats.
[18:36] Roundtime: 3 sec.
[18:36] >info /concentration
[18:36]
[18:36] Concentration : 305 Max : 400
[18:36] >exp magic
[18:36] SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate Fraction
[18:36] Inner Magic: 650 48% thinking (5/34) Augmentation: 537 52% learning (3/34)
[18:36] Utility: 406 39% learning (3/34)
[18:38] >info /concentration
[18:38]
[18:38] Concentration : 261 Max : 400
[18:38]
[18:41] >
[18:41] Your strong sense of survival fades, leaving you feeling unsure of what to do if you are attacked.
[18:41] >khri delay sagacity
[18:41] You begin to draw your focus on surviving any assault.
[18:41] >
[18:41] You carefully relax your mind through your expert training, allowing you to focus on your survival even under the most dire threats.
[18:41] Roundtime: 3 sec.
[18:42] >
[18:42] Katamba sets, slowly dropping below the horizon.
[18:43] >info /concentration
[18:43]
[18:43] Concentration : 143 Max : 400
[18:43] >khri stop sagacity
[18:43] You attempt to relax your mind from some of its meditative states.
[18:43] Your strong sense of survival fades, leaving you feeling unsure of what to do if you are attacked.
[18:43] >exp magic
[18:43] >exp magic
[18:43] SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate Fraction
[18:43] Inner Magic: 650 49% deliberative (11/34) Augmentation: 537 52% considering (6/34)
[18:43] Utility: 406 40% ruminating (8/34)
[18:45] >

- stopping sagacity and starting ambushing for debilitation ..

[18:56] The Misenseor resuscitant freezes suddenly, its grotesque head cocked sideways. It stoops low, scanning the area while spinning in a circle.
[18:56] >ambush stun
[18:56] You don't think you have enough focus to do that.
[18:56] >
[18:56] >info /conc
[18:56]
[18:56] Concentration : 9 Max : 400
[18:56]
[18:57] >khri check
[18:57] You are under the influence of the Hasten meditation, which should last around 11 roisaen.
[18:57] You are under the influence of the Strike meditation, which should last around 10 roisaen.
[18:57] You are under the influence of the Elusion meditation, which should last around 1 roisaen.
[18:57] You are under the influence of the Focus meditation, which should last around 12 roisaen.
[18:57] You are under the influence of the Shadowstep meditation, which should last around 2 roisaen.
[18:57] >
[18:57] >exp magic
[18:57]
[18:57] SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate Fraction
[18:57] Inner Magic: 650 50% analyzing (18/34) Augmentation: 537 54% deliberative (11/34)
[18:57] Debilitation: 406 04% captivated (26/34) Utility: 406 42% deliberative (11/34)

At this point i'm completely drained of concentration, i can't continue debilitation learning and will just struggle to keep those khri running. To continue at this rate it would take me at least 1.3 hours to get a mind lock and i wasn't exactly using the khri that i actually wanted to be using. There are probably few more things i could do, maybe add some meditating in there but it shouldn't be necessary to do everything absolutely perfectly in order to learn at tolerable rates.

Most importantly, i'm going to leave this as a reference:
http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Dragon%20Realms%203.1%20Test/Thieves/view/99