Backstab 01/18/2014 07:08 PM CST
I rolled in some adjustments to backstab in test.

* Backstab has a built in accuracy bonus. It does not vary based on hiding/backstab skill check success.

* Backstab will receive a larger damage bonus the more you succeed your backstab/hiding check by. This caps at about 33% more skill than the enemy's defenses. For example, 600 backstab/hiding against a 500 defense sky giant caps the bonus.

* The first backstab on a target now receives a massive damage bonus.

* DPS-wise, a backstab has a base potency greater than a lunge. This is before either damage bonus.

* I reduced the defense penalty from backstabbing

* A backstab against an at-circle foe was doing over 8x the damage of a thrust, with much higher accuracy.

* Backstab is now primarily a puncture maneuver. I've no clue why, previously it was counting slice/impact to a much higher level. Puncture is counted 6x more than either.

* I ran out of time, but intend to reduce the backstab timer for LE weapons. This will give them a cut above ME in some situations. ME in general will do more damage, assuming you can still pass the BS check while penalized. But LE might excel against tougher enemies or during PvP. Hard to say, but it gives you some options.

Please let me know what you think.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Backstab 01/18/2014 07:14 PM CST
Sounds very interesting Kodius, I will pop in and give it a few hours worth of testing and then report my findings. Thanks for the work!

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Backstab 01/18/2014 07:24 PM CST
>Backstab is now primarily a puncture maneuver. I've no clue why, previously it was counting slice/impact to a much higher level. Puncture is counted 6x more than either

I cannot express how hilarious I find this.

Thank you for the amazing work Kodius.
Re: Backstab 01/18/2014 07:34 PM CST
>I cannot express how hilarious I find this.

Yeah, that certainly makes me wonder if it was intentional or not.

And... It looks like we had a recent character reset, I will need to find a GM to re-import my Plat Thief before I can do any real testing.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Backstab 01/19/2014 10:10 AM CST
So after a short bit of testing in headsplitters with 750 backstabbing and 675 small edge, backstab feels pretty powerful especially the first strike.

I killed 10 zombies in test and in prime using this light edge:

The hand sword is well suited for backstabbing.

You are certain that it could do:
moderate (7/26) puncture damage
fair (5/26) slice damage
somewhat fair (4/26) impact damage
no (0/26) fire damage
no (0/26) cold damage
no (0/26) electric damage

The hand sword is dismally (2/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the sword is soundly (8/17) balanced and is fairly (5/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

The damage in test would probably be better with a telek that has more puncture but less slice and impact.

Hits to kill in prime: 5,5,4,3,6,5,4,5,6

Hits to kill in test: 1,2,4,3,3,3,2,1,3,2
Re: Backstab 01/19/2014 12:22 PM CST
Ok so headsplitters seem to have 420 defense...

With BS that high, you likely have about 50% more offense attacking them. This is why you can easily dispatch them...

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Backstab 01/19/2014 12:44 PM CST
yeah headsplitters are definately lower end for that skill, I'd assume in 3.1 you may not even learn on them at all? I would say try doing the juvie wyverns but they arent in test right? Assassins may be the only other thing to test in Test?

Codiax.
Vote: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Backstab 01/19/2014 12:46 PM CST
>>With BS that high, you likely have about 50% more offense attacking them. This is why you can easily dispatch them...

After you left last night. Me and the thief who is posting here did a little testing.

When he was wearing armor. couldn't touch me.

When he took armor off. 1 shot me.. 2 shot me..

So 770 BS against mid 900 base defenses and perception. I was buffed as well.

- Erixx
Re: Backstab 01/19/2014 01:08 PM CST

With 840 stealth I cannot hide on assassins. Any idea how much is need to hide consistently (not get pointed out). Headsplitters do not teach in Test. But their perception is good compared to their defense. Here is the mark:

You carefully size up the zombie head-splitter, gauging its overall perception.
As you consider stealing from the zombie head-splitter, you believe it'll be troublesome to be unnoticed (+2).
You also eye the zombie head-splitter over, trying to discern how much wealth it is carrying.
You feel highly confident in the accuracy of your judgement.
As you consider hiding around the zombie head-splitter, you believe it should not find you terribly often (-2).
As you consider an attempt to stalk the zombie head-splitter, you believe it should not prove too difficult to stalk (-2).
As you consider a stealthy assault on the zombie head-splitter, perhaps it's a little risky (+1).
Roundtime: 2 sec.

But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently lightly (4/14) hindered and your stealth is insignificantly (3/14) hindered.

You are certain that it is about as strong as you are.
You are certain that it is somewhat less agile than you are.
You are certain that it is definitely less disciplined than you are.
You are certain that it is somewhat less quick to react than you are.
You are certain that it is about as conditioned as you are.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a diamond-hide targe and a sickle-bone hand sword, you are certain that the zombie head-splitter is a less skilled opponent (-2).
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a sickle-bone hand sword, you are certain that the zombie head-splitter is a simple opponent (-6).
If you attacked with a sickle-bone hand sword, you are certain that the enemy would train somewhat poorly.
If you threw the sword at the enemy you are certain that it would train somewhat poorly.
If you defended by parrying attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train somewhat poorly.
If you defended by evading attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train very poorly.
If you defended by blocking attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train acceptably.
If you attempted to beguile the enemy with tactics, you are certain that it would train somewhat poorly.
Re: Backstab 01/19/2014 01:08 PM CST

With 840 stealth I cannot hide on assassins. Any idea how much is need to hide consistently (not get pointed out). Headsplitters do not teach in Test. But their perception is good compared to their defense. Here is the mark:

You carefully size up the zombie head-splitter, gauging its overall perception.
As you consider stealing from the zombie head-splitter, you believe it'll be troublesome to be unnoticed (+2).
You also eye the zombie head-splitter over, trying to discern how much wealth it is carrying.
As you consider hiding around the zombie head-splitter, you believe it should not find you terribly often (-2).
As you consider an attempt to stalk the zombie head-splitter, you believe it should not prove too difficult to stalk (-2).
As you consider a stealthy assault on the zombie head-splitter, perhaps it's a little risky (+1).
Roundtime: 2 sec.

But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently lightly (4/14) hindered and your stealth is insignificantly (3/14) hindered.

You are certain that it is about as strong as you are.
You are certain that it is somewhat less agile than you are.
You are certain that it is definitely less disciplined than you are.
You are certain that it is somewhat less quick to react than you are.
You are certain that it is about as conditioned as you are.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a diamond-hide targe and a sickle-bone hand sword, you are certain that the zombie head-splitter is a less skilled opponent (-2).
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a sickle-bone hand sword, you are certain that the zombie head-splitter is a simple opponent (-6).
If you attacked with a sickle-bone hand sword, you are certain that the enemy would train somewhat poorly.
If you threw the sword at the enemy you are certain that it would train somewhat poorly.
If you defended by parrying attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train somewhat poorly.
If you defended by evading attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train very poorly.
If you defended by blocking attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train acceptably.
If you attempted to beguile the enemy with tactics, you are certain that it would train somewhat poorly.
Re: Backstab 01/19/2014 04:36 PM CST
>>After you left last night. Me and the thief who is posting here did a little testing

I was only seeing a 25-36% vitality hit from backstab on players with similar skills. What were your skills? What was the messaging with and without armor? Was he dying from critical limb destruction? I may have to tone that down some from massive hits.

Re: Backstab 01/19/2014 06:30 PM CST
I was the thief that was testing with him. I will email a log to you.
Re: Backstab 01/21/2014 08:59 PM CST
>Kodius' Recent Updates to Backstab.

Thank you, I have not tested it.

But I especially like the added eumph you put into LE, plenty of times they just don't seem to have any tactical use. And this may be a reason for more of them to be used.

Thank you, and when your able to, or any GM keep making other options then just 2handed weapons the goto (maybe its just me but Bigger seems the best).

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Backstab 01/22/2014 11:33 AM CST
Love the changes to Backstab, thanks Kodius! I only tested PvE, not PvP, so can't offer any info there. Definetly seeing the damage bonus / penalty decrease.
Re: Backstab 05/06/2014 11:23 PM CDT
I could be wrong, but I'm not sure these updates made it into prime.