Tips on ranger spells 02/01/2014 04:43 AM CST

After playing with the spells I found a few tips you can use to great effect. If your TM is low compared to your Debilitation skill then you can use certain spells to help you hit with TM spells.

Critters like Adan'f dancers, mages and warriors, for example if you cast devolve on them their top two stats are reduced. If you follow that with a curse of the wilds spell its very effective on them, and can then be followed with a TM spell, which will generally hit in this case. In my case my debilitation skill is 420 or so and my TM is around 237. I cant hit a TM spell on a dancer just casting it. But using this sequence I can nail them with devitalize because of the first two spells. NOt only that but it greatly improves your chances to hit them hard with Melee or ranged weapons as well.

I suspect most older than DR 3.0 rangers will have life magic thats high compared to the rest of your magic. That high life magic helps your other magics when you cast them. Under normal circumstances I would have to move from adan'f dancers down to la'tami to train TM skill. But real high life magic moves that up like melee mastery and ranged mastery do for low weapons. So if your TM just cant quite hit the critters you normally hunt try devolve and cotw on the critter then hit it with a TM spell and see how you do. That is of course if you can cast devolve and cotw.

I recommend all rangers get devolve within the first 7 spells you select as its the best spell to learn debilitation magic with when you are just starting out.

YOu cant always use Harawep's bonds on a critter and then hit them with TM spells. But that can work as well if they cant dodge that well even when webbed. I've had Adan'f dancers dodge TM spells from me even when webbed. But with devolve and cotw they are pretty much in trouble. And COTW is really effective on adan'f because they are cursed evil partial undead as blessed weapons work on them. But cotw is also effective on pretty much anything. Though I might have to see how it works on what are called constructs.

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy pup.