Forestwalkers boon 02/01/2014 04:16 AM CST

Ok tried out forestwalkers boon. I can cast that around 68 power. It teaches around 2+/34 when cast at 68 power on warding. The duration at 100% spell stance duration is 7 roisaen. Its not much but it does keep certain types of critters from attacking you. I tried it on clouded arzumos and golden pards. So if you can get a horse in 7 roisaen you will be pretty much assured of not having to deal with the golden pards. The spell causes the critters to be calmed. It does not work on adan'f.

At around 40 power it gives about 6 roisaen duration, but teaches around 1/34.

Now we come to the problem. According to discern its supposed to be a battle spell and it does indeed prep faster than buff spells. However to use it and learn with it you do have to cast it close to your personal max, which precludes you from learning much when using this spell in battle at some point. In fact the only way to learn from it and keep enough mana for casting other things is to use it with cambrinth and lower prep. In battle its unlikely I will ever be in a position where I can simply prep Fwb 68 and actually have the mana to cast it. And with the very limited critters it appears to work on means it probably wont get used very much if at all. Especially if it only works on what are called wild beasts. It appears adan'f are not considered wild beats and there is no telling what other critters are not like goblins, kobolds, dragon priests, etc. So I'm assuming its animals. So the spell is only useful in certain situations. Too bad you need this one to get Memory of nature. I think the duration needs to be upped some. Most spell durations limit out around 85-100 where casting in those power ranges gets no more duration.

Bottom line, I doubt I would ever use this spell in an emergency and if i want to use it to learn I'm going to do so before going into combat using cambrinth and prep and if I wanted it to help I would have to make sure I cast this one last since its only going to last for 7 rois.... NOt sure the spell teaches well enough or lasts long enough to be of much use for training purposes. In an emergency if you cast it at low power to get the protection I'm not so sure it will stop the critters from moving on you. Yet I have to go back and try a 30 to 40 power cast while in arzumos and see if it causes them to be calm then. I suspect if the critter is bigger than you a low power cast will be like wasting your time.

>discern fwb
Many a ranger has ventured beyond the bounds of civilization only to find themselves facing wild beasts defending their territory or hunting for food. The Forestwalker's Boon spell masks a ranger's natural scent with a pheromone that attempts to calm all but the most aggressive or cunning wild animals.

This is a battle spell, intended to be prepared quickly and cast on a single target while in battle. It can be cast without a target. It requires a minimum of fifteen mana streams, and can expand to a maximum of one hundred mana streams woven into it. To begin to be able to cast this spell, you will need to reach the rank of an experienced practitioner. By the time you have mastered this spell, you will be ranked as a master in your abilities as a caster. It requires the Warding skill to cast effectively. Before you can learn this spell, you must know Instinct. It will also cost two spell slots.

You think you could weave at most 57 mana streams into this spell.
Roundtime: 9 sec.

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy pup.
Re: Forestwalkers boon 02/01/2014 05:24 AM CST
I couldn't get this spell to work in the lower two tiers of Rossmans gryphons*, it worked on all 3 tiers of brocket deer though. It seems to only work before a creature engages you which is probably only useful if you can affect at level+ creatures. I could see using it to limit the number of creatures coming at me in a new hunting ground when I can't handle 4 safely.

I can think of 3 changes that would make this spell more worthwhile. The first change being a cast self(would also cast on people in your group if your in one)which would pulse on all creatures engaged with you(or your group members) and then on new creatures trying to engage you. The second change would be a cast area which would only pulse on new creatures trying to engage you(or your group members). The last change would be making the contest easier since ranger magic is a tert skill and with the exception of a few individuals are not on par with our weapon skills( the contest should reflect this or the spell is significantly less useful).

I'd also like to echo Pfan's statement that the spell should affect all creature types even if it's a little less effective on some of them.

*This is my current normal hunting ground
Re: Forestwalkers boon 02/01/2014 10:19 AM CST
>>its only going to last for 7 rois....

Just as a reference point, battle spells seem to have durations capped at 10 minutes. Lay Ward, another battle spell, functions the same way (10 second prep time vs 20 seconds, 10 minute max duration, etc).

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.