Updates? 01/17/2014 09:04 PM CST
Have their been any changes other than the reorganization of our spells and their slot costs? Any new information about making compost more useful or making the awaken forest spawn not go away when you move rooms? Anything new or useful or neat?

I realize that other guilds are having extremely large changes done but after waiting twoish months with little to no updates, I am getting flashbacks of the island of misfit toys...

*Willing to buy: Boat to take forlorn group of rangers to another island... ANY other island...

Re: Updates? 01/30/2014 11:48 PM CST

Yes there are updates to ranger spells.

Wisdom of the Pack (WOTP) - magic 3.0 boosts disarm and +wisdom. Magic 3.1 - boosts tactics and +wisdom. Keep in mind if you boost your tactics and tactics is close to max on what your hunting you wont learn any tactics.

Hands of Lirisa (HOL) - Magic 3.0 boosts skinning. Magic 3.1 boosts skinning and disarm.

Senses of the Tiger (SOTT) - Magic 3.0 + reflexes. Magic 3.1 boosts perception and + reflexes.

Claws of the Cougar (COTC) - Magic 3.0 boosts main weapon. Magic 3.1 boosts weapon in hand (melee). Note from previous posts though there are bugs in it so it does not actually boost all the weapons like its supposed to, but the ones it does you can see there is a boost using exp mods or info for the stat boosters.

Awaken Forest (AF) - Magic 3.0 brings in a spawn but teaches nothing but life magic, and maybe attunement and arcana depending on how you cast it.
Magic 3.1 power level determines the ability of the spawn, and it now at least will teach utility magic but not TM.
My guess is the bug in AF might change how its listed and it may have more changes but for now it will at least train utility magic. Was listed as TM spell but does not teach that and cant be cast as if it were one.

Bear strength, Cheetah swiftness and Memory of nature - These three are now harder to cast. Here is what I got using discern with over 420+ in the magic that these use.

To begin to be able to cast this spell, you will need to reach the rank of a 28th degree adept. By the time you have mastered this spell, you will be ranked as a grand master in your abilities as a caster. It requires the Augmentation and Warding skills to cast effectively. 28th degree adept is right at 280 skill level for Augmentation/warding for CS and BES, and Utility for MON. And the first two are now 3 spell slots. Second how they train has changed. Now its kinda like a bell curve. Cast the spell then 5 seconds or so later it will start to teach. Teaching forms a bell curve and cuts off well before the spell ends so it does not keep teaching. It does however keep functioning just fine. If you want it to keep teaching you have to release it and recast it. So far I've not timed out how long it teaches till it stops so you have to figure that out to know when to recast the spell.

New spell (old spell) Forest walkers boon -
>discern forestwalker's boon
Many a ranger has ventured beyond the bounds of civilization only to find themselves facing wild beasts defending their territory or hunting for food. The Forestwalker's Boon spell masks a ranger's natural scent with a pheromone that attempts to calm all but the most aggressive or cunning wild animals.

This is a battle spell, intended to be prepared quickly and cast on a single target while in battle. It can be cast without a target. It requires a minimum of fifteen mana streams, and can expand to a maximum of one hundred mana streams woven into it.

To begin to be able to cast this spell, you will need to reach the rank of an experienced practitioner. By the time you have mastered this spell, you will be ranked as a master in your abilities as a caster. It requires the Warding skill to cast effectively.

Before you can learn this spell, you must know Instinct. It will also cost two spell slots.

You think you could weave at most 36 mana streams into this spell.
Roundtime: 9 sec.

Spell slot changes - magic 3.0 all ranger spells = 40 spell slots. Magic 3.1 all ranger spells = 50 spell slots.
Instinct from 1 spell slot to 2.
Cheetah Swiftness from 1 spell slot to 3.
Bear strength from 1 spell slot to 3.
Hands of Lirisa 1 spell slot to 2.
Blend 1 spell slot to 2.
Haraweps bonds from 3 spell slots to 2.
Curse of the wilds from 2 spell slots to 3.
And of course new spell forest walkers boon to 2 spell slots.

New intro spells Magic 3.0 were instinct, eagles cry, Hands of Lirisa, and compost. Magic 3.1 See the wind, athleticism, compost, and Eagles cry.

IF you get the first 4 spells in magic 3.1 it opens up the following spells when you talk to the guild leader. Here is after taking See the wind.

Tomma says, "I can tell you about the Wolf Scent, Instinct, Grizzly Claws, and Sense of the Tiger spells from the Animal Abilities book, the Athleticism spell from the Wilderness Survival book, and the Compost and Eagle's Cry spells from the Nature Manipulation book. If you are interested in more information about any of these books, ask me about it by name."

here is after taking compost.

Tomma says, "I can tell you about the Wolf Scent, Instinct, Grizzly Claws, and Sense of the Tiger spells from the Animal Abilities book, the Athleticism spell from the Wilderness Survival book, and the Branch Break, Eagle's Cry, Stampede, and Devolve spells from the Nature Manipulation book. If you are interested in more information about any of these books, ask me about it by name."

Here is after taking Eagles cry.

Tomma says, "I can tell you about the Wolf Scent, Instinct, Grizzly Claws, and Sense of the Tiger spells from the Animal Abilities book, the Athleticism spell from the Wilderness Survival book, and the Harawep's Bonds, Branch Break, Stampede, Carrion Call, and Devolve spells from the Nature Manipulation book. If you are interested in more information about any of these books, ask me about it by name."

Here is after taking Athleticism.

Tomma says, "I can tell you about the Wolf Scent, Instinct, Grizzly Claws, and Sense of the Tiger spells from the Animal Abilities book, the Hands of Lirisa and Essence of Yew spells from the Wilderness Survival book, and the Harawep's Bonds, Branch Break, Stampede, Carrion Call, and Devolve spells from the Nature Manipulation book. If you are interested in more information about any of these books, ask me about it by name."

This way you can figure out what each one opens up spell wise.

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy pup.
Re: Updates? 01/31/2014 12:05 AM CST
>>Keep in mind if you boost your tactics and tactics is close to max on what your hunting you wont learn any tactics.

Source? It's my understanding that boosts (or debuffs) don't influence how well you learn on something anymore. I'd be surprised that tactics is an exception to this.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Updates? 01/31/2014 12:18 AM CST
<<Source? It's my understanding that boosts (or debuffs) don't influence how well you learn on something anymore. I'd be surprised that tactics is an exception to this.>>

You would be wrong here. My tactics is right a the barely learning stages in say young gryphons. I use WOTP and I dont learn. FACT!

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy pup.
Re: Updates? 01/31/2014 12:24 AM CST
>>You would be wrong here. My tactics is right a the barely learning stages in say young gryphons. I use WOTP and I dont learn. FACT!

That sounds more like a bug than anything, then.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Updates? 01/31/2014 12:52 AM CST
Boosting tactics shouldn't make you learn worse. That's a bug if that's right.

COTC should act like paladin's righteous wrath. The cast on weapon in hand thing sucks.
Re: Updates? 01/31/2014 12:59 AM CST
>>COTC should act like paladin's righteous wrath. The cast on weapon in hand thing sucks.

COTC and RW are essentially the same thing in 3.1, unless these two summaries changed.

Righteous Wrath - No longer relies on soul state, boosts brawling and held melee weapon skill.
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Post:Paladin_Magic_3.1_-_11/14/2013_-_18:43

Claws of the Cougar - Changed to brawling and pulsing in hand weapon boost.
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Post:Ranger_Magic_3.1_-_11/18/2013_-_13:14

Re: Updates? 01/31/2014 01:22 AM CST
<<COTC and RW are essentially the same thing in 3.1, unless these two summaries changed.>>

They're not, and that's why I posted it. COTC will only boost your weapon in hand when you cast it, period. RW will boost, cyclically, whatever melee weapon you draw into your hand over the duration of the spell.
Re: Updates? 01/31/2014 01:33 AM CST
>>They're not, and that's why I posted it. COTC will only boost your weapon in hand when you cast it, period. RW will boost, cyclically, whatever melee weapon you draw into your hand over the duration of the spell.

Weird. I wonder when the summary of it being a pulsing boost changed.

Re: Updates? 01/31/2014 01:43 AM CST
I think it might be a bug too. I posted in a ranger folders awhile ago and Pfanston and a couple others noted the same thing. It doesn't boost brawling when you cast on empty hands either. At least as far as exp mods go.
Re: Updates? 01/31/2014 03:43 PM CST
>>Keep in mind if you boost your tactics and tactics is close to max on what your hunting you wont learn any tactics.

Has to be a bug. This is not desired behavior.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes