Ranger magic. 12/09/2013 01:25 AM CST
Ok where to start....

First learning rates appear to be useless. Maybe a few ranger spells are set up to show some but not all of them are. Some dont teach at all at any cast level.

Appears ranger magic no longer works on all critters. Specifically gryphons near shard. Cast a 20 power HB and supposedly get a 19 second web but the critter is already moving at you while webbed and it lasts at most 2-3 seconds. 20 power branch break cast and it knocks it out... Which causes it to get up about 4 seconds later from knocked out. And I cant learn debilitation with casts of 20 power evidently. Oh yeah tried 50 power too and still did not learn from either cast. And the casts did just as well as 20 power casts did. Last I saw the young gryphons were supposed to teach to around 450.

Not sure learning is right for any spell yet. Instinct is a intro spell (slots 1, min 1, max near 109 in the right area) according to how you select them. I have to cast it at 58 power to learn 1/34. Casting as fast as possible using cambrinth and harness at 60 power keeps it at 1/34 after 30 casts. Casting at 105 power using cambrinth, prep and harness gets 5/34 learning so near cap you can learn it, Just cant cast it more than 3 or 4 times no matter what you do. Ok that may be ok if the harder spells taught better. But....

Casting Wolf scent (2 slots, 2 difficulty, 5 min, max around 98) cast at 48 learns 1/34 and never gets better than that so it does teach a bit sooner. Cast at 95 teaches 3/34 less than intro spell instinct. Casting SOTT (2 slots, 2 difficutly, 10 min, max around 109), cant learn 1/34 till you put cast at 55 power. Learn 3/34 at 105 power cast less than instinct.

Cheetah swifness and Bear strength cant learn augmentation or warding at any level of cast.

Casting ranger TM spells (Eagles cry, Devitalize, awaken forest, stampede, carrion call) Tm 237, Started it out in shard gryphons with the young ones (should teach to around 450 unless its been tweaked downward dramatically). ALl casts that hit get me to 1/34 and never go up with more hits. Move down to red leucros that teach to around 200 - 275 so should learn TM there well. Never got over 2/34 at any casting level and killed em left and right. So things dont appear right from where I sit.

Combat related I dont think instinct is doing much nor is SOTT. I used to go into shard gryphons with a big load and cast instinct and sott so I could see the point where I started dodging vs getting hit. ANd I've not hunted in 5 months so my skill still where it was before this all changed. Now I getting blasted by gryphons. SO yes instinct and sott are providing much less of a boost than they were. But not sure its supposed to be that little. Course since most other spells are not working on gryphons period, it may be something else.

20 power griz cast knocks all critters down and back but you learn no debilitation from it. 20 power swarm affects all the critters in the room and you dont learn from it. Young gryphons supposed to be 450 skill max. Have they been tweaked down so far they below 400 teaching now?

See the Wind definately affects me I can see it using power and exp mods, etc. But it appears to provide no boost at all to ranged attack on gryphons. Not tried on other critters yet.

HOL intro spell like instinct but it dont teach unless you cast at 70 power. And teaches very little at all at max cast 109 power.

Used to be able to work my defenses dancing with gryphons but not like this. 20 min dance and max learning for any defense was 6/34. Not sure whats going on here but if I cant learn shield with less than half of what they teach to, then things are definately not right.

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy pup.
Re: Ranger magic. 12/09/2013 02:18 AM CST
Looks like a number of my last minute Ranger spell changes didn't hit Test. STW should now be the intro, with Instinct being basic, Athleticism is the intro with HoL being basic. Some various shuffling of affected requirements for other spells changing to suit the new intro/basic spells for those books.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Magic, Sentients Team Member
Cleric Advocate
Re: Ranger magic. 01/14/2014 05:38 PM CST
Is the dropping of STW to intro level going to effect it's effectiveness at all, or is this just going to impact it's difficulty? I'd really rather keep STW and Instinct on a more potent side, and have them cost more spell slots. The way exp is gained now, the beginning circles really aren't hard to gain, so those slots aren't difficult to earn. I just don't want them diminishing into barely useful down the line as people get older, which is where they probably get used more.

HOL or Compost seem like feasible intro spells. Just something to use to learn a little magic to get started. Boosts are helpful, but never really detrimental.

~Van
Re: Ranger magic. 01/14/2014 10:18 PM CST
The effects are just as potent regardless of where they are placed.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Magic, Sentients Team Member
Cleric Advocate