spell slots 03/20/2014 11:15 PM CDT

Should a level 200 paladin get every spell? I just went through and started picking spells, but seems I don't have slots to choose them all. Do I have to unlearn some feats? Is that even possible?

choose holy warrior spell
Lady Verika says, "Tis' true the Holy Warrior spell is within your grasp. However, tis' my feeling that you have not yet earned the right to learn it. Return when you have gathered more experience."

> ask verika about magic

Bond Armaments

Holy Warrior

Vessel of Salvation

Lady Verika says, "Holy Magic be one of the tools at the disposal of the Paladin. 'Tis not a crutch upon which to lean, but an extension of faith which shall allow you to overcome your toughest obstacles."

"However, you are not ready to learn a new spell at this time, Tecko. When you have experienced more than a common squire, perhaps I shall impart these sacred teachings. But for now, you must practice another virtue of the Paladin -- patience." The Knight folds her arms and smiles.

> spell
You recall the spells you have learned from your training.
spells.

In the chapter entitled "Inspiration", you have notes on the Courage, Righteous Wrath [rw], Divine Guidance [dig], Truffenyi's Rally [tr], Sentinel's Resolve [sr], Veteran Insight [veteran], Anti-Stun [as], Heroic Strength [hes], Soldier's Prayer [sp], Divine Armor [da], and Marshal Order [mo] spells.

In the chapter entitled "Justice", you have notes on the Halt, Stun Foe [sf], Shatter, Banner of Truce [bot], Hands of Justice [hoj], Rutilor's Edge [rue], Rebuke [reb], Clarity, Smite Horde [smh], and Footman's Strike [fst] spells.

In the chapter entitled "Sacrifice", you have notes on the Crusader's Challenge [crc] and Aspirant's Aegis [aa] spells.

You recall proficiency with the magic feats of Legerdemain, Basic Preparation Recognition, Advanced Lunar Recognition, Advanced Holy Recognition, Advanced Elemental Recognition, Advanced Life Recognition, Advanced Arcane Recognition, Faster Battle Preparations, Faster Matrices, Faster Rituals, Alternate Preparation, Focused Preparation, Augmentation Mastery, Debilitation Mastery, Utility Mastery, Warding Mastery, Improvised Rituals, Cautious Casting, Injured Casting, Deep Attunement, Raw Channeling, Efficient Channeling, Efficient Harnessing, Cautious Harnessing, Improved Memory, Magic Theorist, Illusory Preparation and Dedicated Cambrinth Use.
Re: spell slots 03/21/2014 01:11 AM CDT
>>Tfpaladin: Should a level 200 paladin get every spell? I just went through and started picking spells, but seems I don't have slots to choose them all. Do I have to unlearn some feats? Is that even possible?

I can't find the relevant post, but I believe it's intentional that you never have enough spell slots to learn every available spell and magical feat. It makes characters less "vanilla" in that they actually have to put some thought into how to allocate their spell slots.

Each feat costs one spell slot. You can unlearn feats at a trainer for a cost. The syntax is ASK <trainer> ABOUT FORGETTING <feat name>.

Spell Cost
Courage 2
Righteous Wrath 2
Divine Guidance 1
Truffenyi's Rally 5
Sentinel's Resolve 2
Veteran Insight 1
Anti-Stun 3
Heroic Strength 1
Soldier's Prayer 1
Divine Armor 3
Marshal Order 1
Bond Armaments 2
Halt 2
Stun Foe 1
Shatter 2
Banner of Truce 2
Hands of Justice 1
Rutilor's Edge 2
Holy Warrior 2
Rebuke 2
Clarity 2
Smite Horde 4
Footman's Strike 2
Alamhif's Gift 2
Crusader's Challenge 2
Aspirant's Aegis 1
Vessel of Salvation 2
Total 53

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: spell slots 03/21/2014 01:37 AM CDT
Just to help highlight which feats you might not want to keep if you're on the fence about a few of them...

AFAIK, most masteries also tend to diminish in usefulness as you get more and more extreme in ranks, since you're already capping out your spells. It's not like your capped Warding spell will ward any better if you have warding mastery. TM and Debilitation are probably the exceptions, if those masteries factor into how well you land those spells.

You also might not really need cautious harnessing unless you tend to walk around with a ton of mana held, which probably wouldn't be the case if you also have raw channeling. You might not be that interested in injured casting, either, unless you need to keep casting spells in settings where you're pretty beat up (I'm more the run away once you're beat up enough that it dings your spell casting ability type, so you know).

Faster matricies is useful if you rattle off TM spells pretty often, but faster battle preps might not be that useful unless you tend to cast those that often.

I'm assuming the recognition spells are useful in PvP, but I don't know how often you'd be shocked at what people are casting in that setting. In that same mindset, Legerdemain is only useful if you think people wouldn't expect you to be prepping a spell.

Illusion prep is more for magic fluff, so if you don't care about being able to use preps where things are glowing and hooting and making fireworks, it might not be that useful to hold onto.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: spell slots 03/21/2014 07:08 AM CDT
>AFAIK, most masteries also tend to diminish in usefulness as you get more and more extreme in ranks, since you're already capping out your spells. It's not like your capped Warding spell will ward any better if you have warding mastery. TM and Debilitation are probably the exceptions, if those masteries factor into how well you land those spells.

They don't. TM feat doesn't help with accuracy and the Debilitation doesn't help with potency directly. They help with how much mana you can put into a spell. If you're capping the spells it provides 0 benefit. If you're not capping the spell, Debilitation feat can allow you to put more mana into a spell which relates to how potent it can be along with Stats. Stats are the primary factor into passing/failing/potency of the debilitative ability, while mana modifies it.

>You also might not really need cautious harnessing unless you tend to walk around with a ton of mana held, which probably wouldn't be the case if you also have raw channeling. You might not be that interested in injured casting, either, unless you need to keep casting spells in settings where you're pretty beat up (I'm more the run away once you're beat up enough that it dings your spell casting ability type, so you know).

I would not recommend removing cautions harnessing, mana regeneration speeds increase based upon how much missing mana you have. The less total mana you currently have the more chance for mana leak when you harness mana, the more leaks the higher the chance for nerve damage. As you obtain higher amounts of magic you'll need to cast higher mana spells and prepping at cap is not feasible. If you're trying to move magic quickly you're harnessing and not using cambrinth since RT for cambrinth doesn't scale.

>Faster matricies is useful if you rattle off TM spells pretty often

This is good for PvP if you're magic prime, Paladins tend to not use spells in PvP. For hunting, the quicker the target time, the quicker you can cast your spell for full experience which results in quicker time locking TM. It's not much of a difference since magic tert, but it can be the difference between moving 42 skills at once vs 40. It's debatable for a Paladin.

>I'm assuming the recognition spells are useful in PvP, but I don't know how often you'd be shocked at what people are casting in that setting. In that same mindset, Legerdemain is only useful if you think people wouldn't expect you to be prepping a spell.

It's not typically useful for PvP, you have a general idea of what a class is going to be casting at you. Reinforcing what they're using won't necessarily change tactics that much. Waste of spell slot IMO.
Re: spell slots 03/21/2014 09:31 AM CDT

Thanks for all of the info, its helpful.
Re: spell slots 03/21/2014 10:21 AM CDT
>>TM feat doesn't help with accuracy and the Debilitation doesn't help with potency directly. They help with how much mana you can put into a spell.

Ah, so it's not a direct skill boost for any of them? That's good to know.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: spell slots 03/21/2014 10:56 AM CDT
> Ah, so it's not a direct skill boost for any of them? That's good to know.

It is a direct skill boost, but only for the cast check. It doesn't boost your TM skill for the attack check, and Debilitation skill doesn't have a direct role in spell contests.
Re: spell slots 03/21/2014 11:04 AM CDT
Yeah, I believe it works like the boost from aligning to a deity as a cleric, which someone corrected me on over a year ago.

>It's not typically useful for PvP, you have a general idea of what a class is going to be casting at you. Reinforcing what they're using won't necessarily change tactics that much. Waste of spell slot IMO.

Agreed. I picked up most of the recognize feats a while back thinking that seeing the spell someone was prepping in PvP would give me time to run, hide and prep something in retaliation. In practice, I don't recall ever seeing the spell name on someone's prep unless they had less skill, in which case it's not terribly useful. There's probably a skill check like there is for prep /hide and since we're magic tert, chances are it won't save your life.

Oh, yeah, don't make fun of me because I mentioned hiding in a paladin thread...
Re: spell slots 03/21/2014 11:10 AM CDT
>Yeah, I believe it works like the boost from aligning to a deity as a cleric, which someone corrected me on over a year ago.

I actually just tested this with a friend a few days ago. Align from a deity to target magic has a very clear effect on the accuracy and damge of a spell. Even in pvp.

-Zerreck Arkarm
Re: spell slots 03/21/2014 11:35 AM CDT
That's interesting I thought I remembered a red stating it only applied to the skill based on mana and accuracy wasn't affected I'll have to look for the post.
Re: spell slots 03/21/2014 11:38 AM CDT

Liuri thought the same thing. But on test, it is a pretty clear with and without align.

-Zerreck Arkarm
Re: spell slots 03/21/2014 11:56 AM CDT
Clerics are a scary beast.
Re: spell slots 03/21/2014 12:56 PM CDT
Off topic, well that's good news, but I don't think that's intended. From a post I found from Grejuva.

>>Also, if I align to boost TM and use the commune, do I have double bonus against undead?

>No, the former only affects the cast success, the latter only affects the attack itself.

>GM Grejuva

In any news, only affecting the cast success should hold true for the TM Mastery feat as well.
Re: spell slots 03/21/2014 01:23 PM CDT
> In any news, only affecting the cast success should hold true for the TM Mastery feat as well.

I just did some testing in Test, and it looks like this is correct. I found no evidence that TM Mastery contributes to accuracy.

Details: With TM mastery, I cast 150 times, of which 45 were hits. Without TM mastery, I cast 150 times, of which 49 were hits. Spell: BoS at 30 mana. Target: adult armadillos. TM ranks: 792.
Re: spell slots 03/21/2014 06:39 PM CDT
<<That's interesting I thought I remembered a red stating it only applied to the skill based on mana and accuracy wasn't affected I'll have to look for the post.>>

That was definitely posted. If align is helping TM accuracy, that should be a bug.