A little something something... 03/09/2014 11:34 AM CDT
Brought to Kermoria by Kaldaran warrior-priests, the Sidasas Sedra spell was adopted into the Paladin spellbooks only after tumultuous debate. Many feel the spell is overly reckless and violates the spirit of the Code while others argue it captures the very essence of the Paladin.

What isn't debatable is the result of the spell which converts the blood of the Paladin into a divine conflagration used to strike down foes. Each casting comes easier than the last, but such compounding is risky as there are no safeguards in the spell pattern.

(No, this isn't in test yet. I don't even know if it will make 3.1 - I just pulled it from the middle of the project pile and wrote the mechanics tonight on a whim, but it still needs the entire damage messaging written which is by far the hardest part of a TM spell).

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: A little something something... 03/09/2014 12:06 PM CDT

Sounds like an awesome version of holy blood burst.

Anything unique about it? And what level of spell do you think it might fall under?

-Zerreck Arkarm
Re: A little something something... 03/09/2014 12:27 PM CDT
It's an advanced spell so right now I've got it slotted as circle 20 and AA as the preqs.

It started life as a direct clone of BLB (I was working on the sacrifice spellbook one day and realized that with a different coat of paint BLB could easily be a Paladin spell. I was amused.) but ended up being a rather unique beast after working its way through approvals. It's a TM/Augmentation hybrid spell now that briefly boosts your TM with every cast.

I did want to have a mechanic in it that encouraged you to be at lower vitality levels but so far I haven't found a way to make it work that I'm happy with and that aspect is currently on the cutting room floor.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: A little something something... 03/09/2014 12:45 PM CDT
>It's an advanced spell so right now I've got it slotted as circle 20 and AA as the preqs.

Well, when I think about throwing my blood as a holy fire weapon, I typically don't think of Alcoholics Anonymous, but hey, whatever works, I guess.

/end terrible, terrible, tortured, joke, please do not acknowledge it.
Re: A little something something... 03/09/2014 01:24 PM CDT

Sounds awesome. I really enjoy these kind of unique spells. Looking forward to playing with it. I can't wait for blood burst to get a face lift now.

-Zerreck Arkarm
Re: A little something something... 03/09/2014 05:21 PM CDT
heh. always knew those paladins wannabe necros! <G>

<<If I can't cast thunderclap, you can't summon the dark lord of the abyss to devour the flesh of the innocent>>
Re: A little something something... 03/09/2014 06:07 PM CDT
Sidasas = planet of Sraxaec (god of blood, whose blood is said to be fire) -- awesome

sedra = child

I'm just curious what the translation is supposed to be? Child of Sidasas? I can help with the grammar if you like, but as it is I don't think it makes sense in Gorbesh.

Also, why child of the planet and not Sraxaec himself?

Very cool spell though.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: A little something something... 03/09/2014 09:51 PM CDT
Your translation is more or less correct. Is the grammar of the spell name perfect? No. Almost certainly not. As best I can tell after discussing it with a few other GMs last night it should be Sidasasaha Sedra. So why isn't it?

1) Bartlebee retired after well over a decade. He was our go to guy who understood all the languages and with him gone getting accurate IG translations 100% correct is very difficult.

2) When you name things with IG languages you're already obscuring what it means until a player looks it up in a book. Correct grammar (The -aha in this case) makes it even harder to find out what it means. Go ahead, put Sidasasaha in google or elanthipedia and tell me what it turns up. Unless you already know enough about the Gorbesh language to recognize the -aha ending or the root word of Sidasas the word is no longer translatable.

3) The spell was named in Gorbesh. It was likely called Sidasasaha Sedra by them and the Kaldar in turn... and then those Kermorians adopted the spell and screwed everything up. Linguistic shifts like that aren't at all uncommon and the Kaldar are lucky they didn't butcher it further.

4) Cosmetically I don't like Sidasasaha Sedra.

As for why it's named after Sidasas instead of Sraxaec, that's because there's another Paladin spell I really want to do that will be called "Blood of Sraxaec" (It's a barrier so don't get your hopes up until 3.2 at least - even then it has a few hurdles in its way I need to clear out first).

-Raesh

Re: A little something something... 03/09/2014 10:24 PM CDT
Cool. I mostly just wanted to know what it meant.

Blood of Sraxaec, nice. I've always loved the Gorbesh gods, looking forward to seeing this.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: A little something something... 03/09/2014 11:09 PM CDT
>...another Paladin spell I really want to do that will be called "Blood of Sraxaec" (It's a barrier so don't get your hopes up until 3.2 at least - even then it has a few hurdles in its way I need to clear out first).

Cool-sounding new future TM/Aug hybrid spell and possible new warding spell. You spoil us, Mr. Raesh.
Re: A little something something... 03/09/2014 11:43 PM CDT
I wasn't really accurate in calling Blood of Sraxaec a barrier spell actually, it could end up utility. We'll see what form it eventually ends up taking, but it's meant to be an esoteric cyclic to aid in tanking. I do actually have a barrier spell planned as well (That is also in limbo until 3.2) that was tentatively called "Bastion" but the barbarians beat me to that name so I haven't decided what it'll be called. It'll be hybrid warding/augmentation that causes all your auctions to be narrated in a badass voice.

-Raesh

Re: A little something something... 03/10/2014 04:21 PM CDT
If it's Morgan Freeman, you got yourself a spell.