Shadowlings Update 02/26/2014 07:09 AM CST
Two major updates to Shadowling are now in test. The first is the ability to invoke your shadowling. I'm going to PAFO the rest of that for right now since it's funny, but I promise I'll explain more in a little bit. The second is a whole lot of behind the scenes technical clean up. All of THAT should be invisible, but please let me know if you notice anything weird with the base spell - funny messaging, shadowlings not acting right and so forth.

(I'm aware Test is closed for a few days - or at least I think it is - but if I hadn't posted now I would have almost certainly forgotten).

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Shadowlings Update 02/27/2014 09:04 PM CST
I love this so much. Especially the stealthy purring. And the invoked shadow to shadowling interactions. And the light spell interactions. Heh!

Curiosity: Is there going to be a way to keep them quiet or otherwise smother the atmo? It is cute but they are very animated sometimes, if you get a couple of mages together with shadowlingshadows, it could get pretty noisy.

We found a few typos.

After trying to invoke someone else's shadowling.
> invoke shadowl
You gesture, attempting to break down the 's form. The pattern's weave frustrates your efforts as the gazes up at you with bright full eyes.

(Not sure if lack of capitalization is intentional, 1st point of view)

Solvar suddenly glances about as a loud purr fills the air.
there's nothing there. Except a loud purr which seems to be trailing back towards Mistanna.

(and also)

You feel something warm and fluffy rubbing against your ankles, but when you turn to look,'.

Thanks!

I like to imagine that the popping sound of PD is kind of like the fire swamp.
Re: Shadowlings Update 02/27/2014 09:08 PM CST
>>Curiosity: Is there going to be a way to keep them quiet or otherwise smother the atmo?

Not really, though I could reduce the frequency a little bit. They're intended to be every bit as obnoxious as a real shadowling - though in general they should be less active than those (The math gets complex and mood dependent, plus random, so it's hard to straight up say they're always less active).

Keep the typos coming - I'm not surprised at them, I replaced a lot of the existing "Shadowing"s in the messaging with tokens as a forward compatibility thing, and it doesn't surprise me that I set a few wrong.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose