Rend and Symbiosis? 02/14/2014 01:11 PM CST
With Elanthipedia not working for me I can't check on bugs that have already been posted about. I don't know what's going on here or maybe Rend isn't supposed to work with Symbiosis even tho it trains the Utility skill along with Debilitation? Here's what happens:

>prep rend 60
That won't affect your current attunement very much.
You raise your arms skyward, chanting the equation of the Rend spell.
>prep sym
You recall the exact details of the Remember symbiosis, preparing to integrate it with the next spell you cast.
>
You feel fully prepared to cast your spell.
>cast
You must specify a subject for this spell.
>cast aluriaz
You gesture.
Spell uses skills 3 and 5, the symbiosis can't add a third. <---??
Your attempt to weave so many different types of matrices together collapses and dissipates without warning

Another note of interest, in the DISCERN for Rend it says it can be cast without a target, but as you can see from above when I tried to cast it said you must specify a subject for this spell.

Thanks,
Aluriaz
Re: Rend and Symbiosis? 02/14/2014 01:17 PM CST
>Spell uses skills 3 and 5, the symbiosis can't add a third. <---??

Looks like debug messaging. I would hazard a guess that Symbiosis cant be used with spells that teach more then one skill, or spells cant be made to train 3 skills.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Rend and Symbiosis? 02/14/2014 01:26 PM CST
>I would hazard a guess that Symbiosis cant be used with spells that teach more then one skill, or spells cant be made to train 3 skills.
I had thought about that, however Symbiosis does work with our Seer's Sense spell which trains both Augmentation and Utility. Maybe the training of Debilitation is messing it up with Rend, but I don't get this same messaging and spell failure when I Prep Symbiosis with a spell that teaches Debilitation like Mind Blast. (The Symbiosis doesn't work, but the spell still goes off and without the crazy messaging.) I dunno.

Aluriaz
Re: Rend and Symbiosis? 02/14/2014 01:32 PM CST
> I had thought about that, however Symbiosis does work with our Seer's Sense spell which trains both Augmentation and Utility.

And a symbiosis adds augmentation, so it's not adding a third skill.
Re: Rend and Symbiosis? 02/14/2014 03:03 PM CST
Yeah, that debug messaging should be removed, but the answers here are correct. You can't add a third skill to a spell with a symbiosis. Once we add the warding symbioses, you should be able to use a warding symbiosis for Rend.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Rend and Symbiosis? 02/14/2014 03:06 PM CST
Rend requires a target because people requested it so it wouldn't default to them and strip spells they didn't want stripped.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Rend and Symbiosis? 02/14/2014 07:11 PM CST
>And a symbiosis adds augmentation, so it's not adding a third skill.

Ahhhhhh! Thanks ILLIENA! And Socharis! I had no idea the symbiosis was working like that. I thought it was increasing the difficulty of casting spells and adding a stat/skill bonus. Now I understand what "adding a third skill" means.

>Once we add the warding symbioses, you should be able to use a warding symbiosis for Rend.

Or maybe I don't understand... Unless you mean a Utility Symbiosis? Are any of those going to be added? (Rend trains Utility and Debilitation.)

>Rend requires a target because people requested it so it wouldn't default to them and strip spells they didn't want stripped.

Excellent! I think this was a great move! So it's just a minor messaging error in the DISCERN.

Thanks!
Aluriaz