Shadewatch Mirror and Distant Gaze 02/12/2014 03:15 AM CST
After numerous attempts to fix the DG/SHM bug that's existed since 3.0 I pulled out the big guns and essentially rewrote SHM from the ground up.

Distant Gaze
Casting will now fail if you are already watching another area through whatever means.

Shadewatch Mirror
Can now be cast on invisible/hiding targets. This was always intended with Seer's Sense link but never worked. This now follows the same logic as Locate.
Can now view targets that are inside/without windows as long as it is night time. (Honestly, this is to justify it as a Stellar spell instead of a pure Perception spell...)
You can now tap the mirror to end the visions.
You can no longer gaze into a mirror with another form of remote viewing active (Most likely Distant Gaze).
General rewrite stuff (new messaging, possibly some slightly different results due to behind the scenes changes and whatnot).

Please test SHM extensively, I redid a massive amount of logic behind the scenes on the spell and I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't behave as expected under all circumstances but it's not an easy thing for me to test all the possible permutations. Use multiple people, people in the same rooms, non Moon Mage forms of remote viewing, inside, outside, hiding, invisible, multiple mirrors at once - anything you can think of, particular if it resulted in the spell getting 'stuck' in 3.0.

Preemptive thank yous to the testers on this one and I'm sorry this extremely irritating bug has lasted so long - it's proven one of the most resilient I've ever encountered (I still don't know why was happening and I've been through the code many times and had a good chunk of staff pour over it with no luck either).

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Shadewatch Mirror and Distant Gaze 02/12/2014 07:58 AM CST
What does it mean to work on the same logic as locate? As far as I have been able to tell, hiding/inviso still auto-blocks locate at a certain level of stealth ranks (approximately 600-700 before).
Re: Shadewatch Mirror and Distant Gaze 02/12/2014 11:42 AM CST
>>What does it mean to work on the same logic as locate? As far as I have been able to tell, hiding/inviso still auto-blocks locate at a certain level of stealth ranks (approximately 600-700 before).

That observation doesn't match the math at all.

Generally speaking its just perception vs hiding with a huge bonus to the caster if they have a Seer's link and a huge bonus to the target if they're invisible.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Shadewatch Mirror and Distant Gaze 02/13/2014 02:44 AM CST
The DG/SHM interaction seems to work great. I like how you can’t gaze in the same room you’re in now.

SHM is not showing up in perc clair / watcher.

If the SHM target runs through the room with the mirror, the vision stops and stays at the room with the mirror and you have to refresh the gaze in order to zone back in on the target.

Having DG active and then going into a Theatre has the old glitch still as well. You can peer at he dais and get a glimpse of it, but the familiar window (in Genie) goes back to the gaze similar to how it would before, and would with mirrors as well.

Some actions while in the same room as your DG ends up going into the familiar window instead of just in the main window (like attacks). Also previously (yet untested)... some human emote snaps and some GM actions in a mirror or DG will show up in the main window instead.

a few other little things…

Nimbi were pretty fun! I look forwards to shadow creatures being updated later!

I got to land a Solid blessing on utility and another on skinning. The difference was small but noticeable enough to be pretty useful, I could tack on 2-3 streams onto moongate, which was great because I’m just on the verge of being able to open a Crossing-Ratha moongate with 509 utility. Skinning, I was able to skin an Adan’f warrior quickly instead of normally without demolishing the skin like I normally do after fully arranging it with 314 skinning.

I like to imagine that the popping sound of PD is kind of like the fire swamp.
Re: Shadewatch Mirror and Distant Gaze 02/13/2014 03:31 AM CST
>>SHM is not showing up in perc clair / watcher.

Oh, I know why that is and now that I look at it... ugh that utility is out of date! Looks like it was never really converted to 3.0. I'll work on it.

>>If the SHM target runs through the room with the mirror, the vision stops and stays at the room with the mirror and you have to refresh the gaze in order to zone back in on the target.

Hmm. I'll have to think about how to fix that.

>>Having DG active and then going into a Theatre has the old glitch still as well. You can peer at he dais and get a glimpse of it, but the familiar window (in Genie) goes back to the gaze similar to how it would before, and would with mirrors as well.

That's not really a glitch so much as the theatre mechanics not being very robust. I might be able to dig into them later, but for now with the new ability to release your gaze from a mirror by tapping it I'm not too worried.

>>Some actions while in the same room as your DG ends up going into the familiar window instead of just in the main window (like attacks). Also previously (yet untested)... some human emote snaps and some GM actions in a mirror or DG will show up in the main window instead.

That's an issue with those systems themselves and isn't anything I can control through DG or SHM.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the other updates.

-Raesh