Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/13/2013 09:39 PM CST
>>DR-Socharis: This suggestion is that when running an ability where you learn passive experience, you suffer a penalty to your experience drain rate. There would also have to be a flag where you say "Don't teach me any cyclic experience and in turn don't reduce my drain rate". Additionally, if you're using a cyclic at a rate where you'd gain no experience (keeping an easy one up, for instance), you would suffer no drain rate penalty.

Of the "mindstate" and "scaling" proposals, I prefer this one. I didn't like the old mind murk system, but I think there is still room for some kind of drain-based incentive not to train more than X skills at a time. (Currently, if you're hunting and not training 20+ skills, you're doing it wrong from an experience/TDP perspective.)

>>DR-Socharis: Reduces unrelated experience, which doesn't make a TON of sense.

You could limit the absorption penalty to related (magic) skills.

I don't like the escalating mana consumption, because many cyclics are designed to provide an effect that players want to maintain indefinitely. (People also use non-cyclic buffs indefinitely, re-casting as soon as they wear off.) Moongates are not a good analogy, because they are transient by design, since they are only needed for as long as it takes to walk through them.

Making it so that the buff would have to be unused for X amount of time would greatly reduce its usefulness, possibly relegating an otherwise great spell to novelty status.

>>Mockerjb: I like the bell curve best because I don't like losing effective cyclic spell use when I want one up for playing, not training, purposes.

This.

>>DR-Socharis: Causing cyclics to actually require maintenance to use (instead of Raw Channeling being a free pass for experience) is an interesting approach as well, and lets you charge up some high-capacity cambrinth if you want to use it for a longer amount of time.

Isn't this a lot like the old held mana spells? They were too much of a hassle to use in 2.0, so I didn't. If I have to manually pump mana into a cyclic spell via harness or cambrinth, I'd rather have it become a standard spell.

>>DR-Socharis: Now, what kind of important way of representing 'focus' or 'concentration' or 'mindshare' do we have in DR? We have the Concentration stat, which is woefully underused, but it's underused to a degree that nobody really cares about it (like the debt system!).

I like this idea best. It's a pool that we already have, so a new "cyclic" pool would not need to be developed. There is some precedent for using concentration in this manner in the sense that it is already used for Thief khri, which provides a passive form of experience.

Being underused is actually a good thing, because it means that players won't often have to choose between cyclic spells and some other concentration activity. Plus, it would be nice to give players a reason to care about this stat.

Concentration's underlying stats (discipline, intelligence, and stamina) are so useful that I doubt that many character have low concentration as a result of neglecting them, but if this is a problem, a RESPEC could be offered.

>>DR-Armifer: RESEARCH is used in conjunction with the Gauge Flow spell to allow magicians to perform basic research into manipulating the mana streams. In effect, this allows experienced magicians to learn more about a skill or related group of skills without directly casting.

I would welcome any system that offered alternatives to repeatedly casting the same spell for no reason other than experience gain.

I also like that it can help supplement gaps in spell trees.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/13/2013 09:47 PM CST
>I'm not sure if you've checked out the new exp curve in test, but that's less true in 3.1 than it was in 3.0. A number of people will find themselves needing to move up the latter after the cushy comfort of 3.0.

this new xp curve will work well once the critter gaps are filled as of right now looks like the huge holes are hurting more then helping.

Deadly force, is the force which a person uses, causing—or that a person knows, or should know, would create a substantial risk of causing—death or serious bodily harm. Deadly Force is justified only under conditions of extreme necessity as a last resort,
Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/14/2013 02:01 AM CST
>>this new xp curve will work well once the critter gaps are filled as of right now looks like the huge holes are hurting more then helping.

Agreed. Those gaps are a huge problem - We're working on it.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/14/2013 07:11 AM CST
Lots of great ideas.

I prefer the bell curve, because there are times when I want to run a cyclic for the effect instead of for training and I'd rather not end up impacting myself in other ways to do that. Also, some cyclics train differently (cyclic TM, or cyclic Debil) and it sounds like the other options would impact those things (negatively) as well.

Mazrian
Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/14/2013 07:18 AM CST
The research stuff sounds interesting.

Is the RT you're thinking about totaling up discrete chunks of a project? 300 seconds is probably a long time to lock somebody down.

Mazrian
Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/14/2013 07:32 AM CST
I seem to be pretty late to the party here, but I wanted to say that I really dislike the "scaling" idea or just flat-out increasing the mana cost of cyclic spells. In order to get any sort of reasonable power out of such spells, you already have to spend a lot of attunement to maintain them. Even maintaining a 20-mana one (so mid power) is very costly, and I'd hate to see that become even less viable. I'm able to get about 30 into my cyclics, and doing so eats through my attunement very quickly even in a good mana room. Using harnessed mana or cambrinth energy helps, but it's still very costly.

I don't really use cyclics for experience gain, I use them to generate their respective effects. Please don't make that more difficult/costly in the process of trying to rein in the experience awards.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/14/2013 09:01 AM CST
>>Is the RT you're thinking about totaling up discrete chunks of a project? 300 seconds is probably a long time to lock somebody down.

We're moving away from RT to a slightly more forgiving situation soft-lock where you need to avoid extraneous actions to keep the research going, but totally can abort out of it if you need to.

But yeah, the idea is you choose how long you want to focus on the research and those chunks get added up across actions until you arrive at a full project.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/14/2013 09:09 AM CST
>>But yeah, the idea is you choose how long you want to focus on the research and those chunks get added up across actions until you arrive at a full project.

That's cool. If you interrupt, can you pick up where you left off? Like, something you could do in your spare moments totaling up to a full research paper (or whatever the end result of a project of magical research is)?

Mazrian
Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/14/2013 09:11 AM CST
>>That's cool. If you interrupt, can you pick up where you left off? Like, something you could do in your spare moments totaling up to a full research paper (or whatever the end result of a project of magical research is)?

Currently if you interrupt you lose that chunk of time, but it doesn't wipe out previously "banked" time.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/14/2013 09:57 AM CST
MULTITASKING DOESN"T REDUCE PROD-alt+tab heh, kitties
Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/14/2013 01:19 PM CST
>>We're moving away from RT to a slightly more forgiving situation soft-lock where you need to avoid extraneous actions to keep the research going, but totally can abort out of it if you need to.

You could always build in something akin to the Commune thing for Clerics. Takes you about 5 to 15 RT to do X commune gain your exp bits. Than you dont get to repeat that same Commune for X amount of time, eventually after X internall Cool Down timer you see the message "You can commune with your gods again..." etc. This prevents folks from Spamming the crap out of it and it allows you to go about your business doing other things while you got your Exp bits.
Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/14/2013 04:24 PM CST
>>You could always build in something akin to the Commune thing for Clerics.

I like that model, but it doesn't really fit with the 'research' idea.

Also I wonder if I could convince Armifer to give a 1% bonus to people wearing spectacles. Just 'cause.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/14/2013 04:30 PM CST
> Also I wonder if I could convince Armifer to give a 1% bonus to people wearing spectacles. Just 'cause.

My moonmage wears a monocle because he's classy like that.

> I'll add it to my list of things to look at when I can breathe though.

Thank you.
Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/14/2013 04:46 PM CST
So another thing we've been bandying around backstage that I think we're going to go forward with is something we're calling Arcane Symbiosis.

An Arcane Symbiosis is a very basic spell pattern that can be combined with another spell pattern. They reside in the same rough realm as the AP spells - patterns so simple that they work with every type of mana.

To gain access to a symbiosis, you must perform RESEARCH. To begin research on a symbiosis, you RESEARCH SYMBIOSIS [Symbiosis Name]. Once you've completed this research, you retain memory of that symbiosis and can activate it by using PREPARE SYMBIOSIS before casting another spell.

When a Utility, Warding, or Augmentation spell is cast after you've done PREPARE SYMBIOSIS, you gain the benefits of that Symbiosis. The catch is, Symbioses increase the difficulty of the spell you're casting dramatically.

The effects of Symbioses fall in either the Warding or the Augmentation category. Some examples are 'Add an electrical resistance barrier' or 'Add a First Aid buff'. These buffs are weaker versions of the buffs that any particular spell has - Spells whose matrices have been exhaustively researched and optimized to be as effective as possible. Instead, you have access to a variety of different effects at lower power that can be added to a spell.

If you cast a spell with a Symbiosis of a different skill than that spell, the spell becomes a hybrid spell and trains both skills (And is subject to the other Hybrid semantics too).

--

Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/14/2013 05:02 PM CST
> Once you've completed this research, you retain memory of that symbiosis

Permanently, or will it require re-researching? Because if it's permanent, unless the research cost is significant, it seems like a pointless step. First thing I'll do when 3.1 drops is research all the symbioses.

Sounds like a cool system, though. Are there plans to gate the symbioses in any fashion? By skill or mana type or spell pre-reqs, maybe? I like that this system adds value to higher ranks of Augmentation, Utility and Warding, and I'm trying to come up with a way to get it to do the same for Sorcery and Debilitation.
Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/14/2013 05:12 PM CST
>>Permanently, or will it require re-researching?

It's temporary - You retain it in memory until you die or change symbioses.

>>Are there plans to gate the symbioses in any fashion?

Yeah, a few of them. Sets of Symbioses will be gated by feats (So the 'Body Matrices' feat will gate body stat buffs, for instance), which in turn are gated by ranks.

>>I'm trying to come up with a way to get it to do the same for Sorcery and Debilitation.

So ideally, the benefits of sorcery and debil are self-evident (the way they are for TM). With the increased durations for debil spells, hopefully using spells to debuff your enemy becomes something people do regularly - Having interplay in the combat system between debuffs and damaging attacks is something that we'd like to encourage.

Sorcery is kind a pursuit in its own right, though. It gives you access to the spells of other guilds, which is a pretty powerful thing. It gates your ability to CAST those spells too - If your Sorcery is low but your Aug is massive, you still don't get all of those Aug ranks.

For now, at least, I think TM, Debil, and Sorcery are in a good enough place that we don't need to enhance them with 3.1. That doesn't mean that there aren't enhancements to RESEARCH or additional Symbioses that could be used to enhance them in the future - Just that right now, they're good enough.

--

Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/14/2013 05:20 PM CST
> So ideally, the benefits of sorcery and debil are self-evident (the way they are for TM)

I should clarify that I'm thinking of 1000+ ranks. TM never stops giving, because it always lets you hit better. At those ranks of Debilitation/Sorcery, you can cap every spell there is. There's no benefit to increasing your rank.

Until you posted this idea, I would have said the same thing about Augmentation/Utility/Warding. Now I'm considering grabbing Soul Ablaze for its Augmentation buff.

> additional Symbioses that could be used to enhance them in the future

I know you said you're not considering it now, but since the idea's in my head, I'll say it anyway. You could make certain symbioses mana-flavored. If you're using a life-flavored symbioses and you're not a life caster, it makes the resulting spell a sorcery.
Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/14/2013 05:34 PM CST
>>If you're using a life-flavored symbioses and you're not a life caster, it makes the resulting spell a sorcery.

That's an interesting one, though the impact of it seems explicitly to allow sorcery training to be even easier and doesn't have as much of an RP angle.

We can brainstorm more as things start to settle with 3.1 and we start looking at What's Next.

Also, just as an overall note, I'm a huge grammar snit, so I wanted to note that 'Symbiosis' is the singular form of the noun, and 'Symbioses' is the plural form. For instance: I prepare a Symbiosis to go with my spell. There are many Symbioses available to casters.

--

Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/14/2013 05:38 PM CST
> That's an interesting one, though the impact of it seems explicitly to allow sorcery training to be even easier and doesn't have as much of an RP angle.

Well, it's also to say, "If you want this effect, you'll need to train some sorcery."

> Also, just as an overall note, I'm a huge grammar snit, so I wanted to note that 'Symbiosis' is the singular form of the noun, and 'Symbioses' is the plural form.

I know. The quoted instance was a victim of my going back and rephrasing, but don't worry, I'm sufficiently ashamed. :)
Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/14/2013 06:18 PM CST
< For now, at least, I think TM, Debil, and Sorcery are in a good enough place that we don't need to enhance them with 3.1. That doesn't mean that there aren't enhancements to RESEARCH or additional Symbioses that could be used to enhance them in the future - Just that right now, they're good enough

I'd argue the fact TM is in a good spot. It is easily out dps'd by weapons. Also that's not counting the fact that guilds that rely on it have to choose between dps and multiple other spell decisions such as, debuffs, debil and other buffs that may wear off or are dispelled. Yea I've heard the "you can use weapons too" arguement, but obviously something that's challenging for a primary damage source, while needing to take time out for debuff/debil, isn't going to be feasible with tert ranks when your higher up the totem pole. The disparity grows to great.
Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/14/2013 06:20 PM CST
So, lots of things going on in this thread. I want to try to sum up my perspective by showing you how I, as a player, approach the spell selection process as a whole. I.e., what makes me choose spells, given my limited resource of slots?

1. I avoid spells that don't fit with my character concept or what I want to accomplish (this is pretty much as it should be).

2. I avoid spells with additional management costs (e.g., TKT, TKS, and Mind Shout -- ritual spells are fine), unless the spells are very cheap otherwise.

3. I watch prereqs and avoid spells that cost too many prereqs I don't want/need.

4. I watch spell level (Basic/Advanced/Esoteric) and choose spells that will train my skills.

5. I choose cyclic spells if I can employ them in an effective way and (previously) because they taught well.

So, I'm a little worried that we are putting a bit too much pressure on 2-5. I'm starting to see a lot of reasons to cherry pick spells, when I really don't want to do that. I want to choose the spells that look interesting and neat!

I think that we should very seriously consider ways to relieve that pressure, at least from some of them. That means seriously considering if things like lots of prereqs and different spell levels really add to the fun of the game. Here's what I would do to address each issue:

Management costs: Spells with extra management should cost 1 slot less.

Prereqs: I've said this before to Raesh, but I don't see why prereqs even have to exist. They add flavor, but they also significantly add to the cost of some spells. It's not fun. I'm already going to be spending all my slots, even without them. Yes, conquering that spell that is hard to get is meaningful, but that can be achieved a different way (with spell levels, circle requirements, quests, or the rare prereq).

Spell levels: I think it's important to a sense of achievement that spells have different levels, so you unlock them at different times. That said, I think there is really no reason that the lower spells have to stop teaching. I know you compared these to the goblin brook Socharis, but I agree with Tigarclaw that they are more like weapons -- we should be able to wield them for exp throughout our careers. Weapons are wielded in more difficult situations and we learn from that, so why not spells? These are our core abilities.

Further, lack of teaching restrictions would just open up our options so much. I can train with my Evasion booster in combat! I don't have to be relegated to something less useful, or standing out of combat researching (though it's neat to add this option for those who would like it). We don't have to require a lot of extra work from GMs on different options and new spells. I see no good design reason for the spell level learning restriction, other than a slight nod to realism.

Cyclics: Thinking about the recent suggestions, I mainly just want to make sure my cyclics stay relatively easy to use. Making them cost all kinds of management (extra mana, haze, losing them due to increasing mana cost) will make them less effective and make me less likely to choose them. Lower the exp if you have to, but don't increase the difficulty.

One thought popped to mind about cyclic exp: what if we were allowed to increase exp by choosing to perform them in a way that created more risk for ourselves? I.e., you can have your safe, low-exp cyclic up, or you can choose to cast it in a way that gives you more exp but might blow you up a little. This is our justification for allowing passive exp gain in combat -- because there is risk involved.

So in sum: give me reasons to be excited about choosing spells based on what they DO, not be sadface about choosing them based on their prereqs and how they train.

P.S. Love the Symbiosis idea. :)

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/14/2013 06:28 PM CST
>Eyuve

Thank you for rather eloquently stating many of my opinions regarding spells and spell choices. In particular, I think this section particularly resonated with me:

>Prereqs: I've said this before to Raesh, but I don't see why prereqs even have to exist. They add flavor, but they also significantly add to the cost of some spells. It's not fun. I'm already going to be spending all my slots, even without them. Yes, conquering that spell that is hard to get is meaningful, but that can be achieved a different way (with spell levels, circle requirements, quests, or the rare prereq).

I've even be fine with a prereq system that was like "you have to have chosen X spell slots worth of spells in this book prior to choosing this spell" or even just "you have to have chosen X spell slots worth of spells in general before you choose this spell" instead of having set prerequisites. As more and more things are introduced to the game that continue to eat up my spell slots, having to take an undesirable spell that I'm never or rarely going to use gets under my skin even further.

-Broichan Leshyahen

> hum tuneless
You hum a tuneless tune.
Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/14/2013 06:59 PM CST
>>I'd argue the fact TM is in a good spot.

Yeah, but it's trainable, which is more than can be said about aug, ward, and util right now. I'm not saying we're done with TM, just that adding new stuff to RESEARCH and the Symbiotic Magic system to support TM isn't something we plan to do right now.

>>we should be able to wield them for exp throughout our careers.

But against what difficulty? With weapons, you're constantly facing more challenging opponents. There are no such opponents in the Magic system aside from mana (and now Symbioses), which is why spells are neither creatures nor weapons, but something in between.

>>I see no good design reason for the spell level learning restriction, other than a slight nod to realism.

It's about maintaining the skill training paradigm we have throughout the game. The reason a spell stops teaching is because you can stop adding more mana to it, not because of any other systemic reasons. When you've sufficiently surpassed the greatest challenge that spell offers you, you no longer learn anything from it.

The magic system is built on a foundation where you get the maximum effect from a spell once you've capped the mana in it. Additionally, any capped spell is as good as any other capped spell - An intro spell that you're capping will give you the same strength of buff as an esoteric spell giving that same buff. The Esoteric spell will give OTHER buffs too, but in general once you've got 100% of the spell's mana, you get 100% of the spell's effect.

So, if we extend the training range of a spell to, say, 1-1600 ranks, that means that that spell is only ever getting capped by the most skilled players. Characters can learn from 1-1600 with that spell, sure, but it's also going to be worse for them as a spell when talking about the amount of buff to give.

Changing these various pillars isn't something we can do easily at all, and would require a Magic 4.0 level of release. That's just plain not something we want to do right now, for obvious reasons.

So, given the magic framework we have today, a single spell has to stop training at some point. Symbioses are, in some ways, a loophole that we can use to make your basic spell (ES, for instance) more complex (and thus training to higher ranges) without altering the core principle that ES only trains within a certain range on its own.

>>Lower the exp if you have to, but don't increase the difficulty.

That's where the cyclic stuff seems to be landing, both from a mechanics perspective and also a player preference perspective.

>>give me reasons to be excited about choosing spells based on what they DO, not be sadface about choosing them based on their prereqs and how they train.

Agreed. I hope that between RESEARCH and Symbiotic Magic, we're getting to a place where spell choice CAN be a lot more about what you want rather than what you need to train.

>>Spells with extra management should cost 1 slot less.

This is already somewhat included in our calculations, under the 'harder to use' bucket. It's a matter of degree, of course.

>>Prerequisites

Prereqs serve a variety of purposes. The argument that the prereqs of a spell can force you to take spells that you don't want is a valid one, but the lore is pretty important too. This is one of the cases where the story trumps the ease of use. Prereqs, in concept, say that 'A spellcaster must know how to cast this more-basic version of a similar spell before even attempting this more complex version'. There's a lot of flavor there, and a lot of distinction. One thing we've seen over the last decade or so is a lot of 'vanillification' - blurring of the uniqueness of each guild and the fiction surrounding them. Removing spell prereqs in favor of 'Must have N spells of type X' would be a disservice to a the fiction around the game world.
[This is a discussion in and of itself, if we want to drill deep into it let's take it to a different thread]

--

Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/14/2013 07:05 PM CST
Research and especially the symbiotic concept seem really cool, and if those things materialize and aren't super burdensome to use I will probably not worry about spells not teaching.

Mazrian
Prereq discussion 12/14/2013 07:20 PM CST
> Prereqs, in concept, say that 'A spellcaster must know how to cast this more-basic version of a similar spell before even attempting this more complex version'.

I confess I don't see how Glythtide's Joy and Hodierna's Lilt are more basic versions of Naming of Tears, or what Demrris's Resolve or Hodierna's Lilt have to do with Resonance. I could go on.

The story reason you mention makes sense, and I think some guilds' spellbooks* pull it off very well. Other guilds' spellbooks seem to have ignored that memo and assigned prereqs simply for the sake of having some.

*Like Moon Mages', except for Shadowling.
Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/14/2013 07:28 PM CST
>I'd argue the fact TM is in a good spot.

>Yeah, but it's trainable, which is more than can be said about aug, ward, and util right now. I'm not saying we're done with TM, just that adding new stuff to RESEARCH and the Symbiotic Magic system to support TM isn't something we plan to do right now

Ok so its more of a just exp statement, got ya. In the future will TM spells with debilitation side effects be possible? I'm not saying to just add them, but design the spells to be less damaging while adding these perks. It would help the issue I think. I thought symbiosis could work like that by adding some debuff spell flavor to a TM spell.
Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/14/2013 07:34 PM CST
Double post sorry. Just wanted to say I always loved crystal spike due to the balance hit. It always worked so magically by MB'n a target, firing off a quick CRS and then a full powered PD or burn finisher. So CRS is a good example and I'm hoping it comes back soon.
Re: Prereq discussion 12/14/2013 07:35 PM CST
> except for Shadowling.

Actually, I guess I see this one. You need planeshift to cast summon planar ally.
Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/14/2013 07:36 PM CST
>>It's about maintaining the skill training paradigm we have throughout the game.

I see where you're coming from, and I respect what you're trying to do. Sitting around casting ES over and over until max level is pretty lame.

The Symbiosis idea is a neat one and, if it allows Basic spells to teach for longer, would go a long way toward making me happy. My main concern is that I do not want to have to limit my spell choices based on training, and I do not want to be forced out of combat to train magic either. I'm a combat mage (as are many).

>>With weapons, you're constantly facing more challenging opponents. There are no such opponents in the Magic system aside from mana (and now Symbioses), which is why spells are neither creatures nor weapons, but something in between.

Makes me wonder if there's room for area-based spell difficulty. Like, if you're fighting certain creatures or in certain locations. Or maybe spellcasting when engaged could become progressively more difficult, but at a very slow rate (so even terts could manage it).

>>This is already somewhat included in our calculations, under the 'harder to use' bucket.

Good to know. I'll take up my issues with individual spells as I come across them, then. It was just that the three I am familiar with (TKT, TKS, Mind Shout) all still seem to cost a lot, so I didn't see the pattern appearing.

>>That's where the cyclic stuff seems to be landing, both from a mechanics perspective and also a player preference perspective.

Did you see my +risk suggestion? (Not saying it's the best just wanted to be sure it wasn't lost.)

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Prereq discussion 12/14/2013 07:56 PM CST
>>I confess I don't see how Glythtide's Joy and Hodierna's Lilt are more basic versions of Naming of Tears, or what Demrris's Resolve or Hodierna's Lilt have to do with Resonance. I could go on.

Agreed.

There's also the issue that some spells end up with massive trails to get to them. Mind Shout is a spell that requires, at minimum, 10 slots expended on prereqs. Mental Blast and Mind Shout are both on my list to ditch for just being too costly (their own slots plus prereq slots).

I can see that for some spells it seems like the lore reasons are so strong that you can't ignore them (e.g., Refractive Field to Steps of Vuan). I am not really opposed to having prereqs in that case. I just think they should be the exception rather than the rule. (And ideally their slot costs can be specially tailored due to the prereq.)

Is there really any reason why someone might not be able to summon a Shadowling as their first foray into teleportational magic? Why is that necessarily more advanced than Moongate? Different people approach problems in different ways. Maybe it's easier for some people to teleport whole bodies (Teleport) than little pieces (PD), or for some to condense shadows into ropes (DO) before they can expand the shadows around their bodies (Shadows). Etc.

The benefit of removing (most) prereqs would be enormous, as people would be free to choose the spells that are truly useful to them, with the main restriction being slots. We can still do this while avoiding massive disconnects, if we keep a few prereqs and keep to some other requirements (skill, circle, quest, possibly X spells in Y book).

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Prereq discussion 12/14/2013 08:17 PM CST
<<Research and especially the symbiotic concept seem really cool, and if those things materialize and aren't super burdensome to use I will probably not worry about spells not teaching.>>

Same.
Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/14/2013 10:37 PM CST
>>In the future will TM spells with debilitation side effects be possible?

Potentially - I don't want to make promises.

>> My main concern is that I do not want to have to limit my spell choices based on training, and I do not want to be forced out of combat to train magic either.

Totally fair - That's one of the things we're trying to avoid by introducing RESEARCH and Symbiotic Magic. However, it's worth considering that we don't have a intention of making every skill trainable in combat.

>>Did you see my +risk suggestion? (Not saying it's the best just wanted to be sure it wasn't lost.)

I did - Adding risk and letting them train more is an interesting idea, but maybe not one we'll tackle for 3.1.

>>Spellbook discussions

This is a potential rabbit hole that I want to avoid. We can talk about some specific ones, but in general this falls into 'general magic gripes' and not necessarily something related to this thread.

Spell trees existed in 2.0 too, and while they didn't have slot counts, there were definitely some upper echelon spells that cost 5 spell slots (back when you didn't get nearly as many). Those chains might also have been too long, but renovating the spellbooks is a project that isn't going to be tackled in 3.1 at the very least.

--

Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/15/2013 11:26 PM CST
There are a number of things being discussed here that I don't particularly like, and think will be bad for the game as a whole. I'll address them one-by-one.

Scripting
I believe the attempt to make systems more difficult for scripters is misguided, and inevitably more destructive to non-scripters. - this coming from someone who uses Genie and has extensive scripts. Genie and Avalon are powerful enough that there's virtually nothing you can add to the system that can't effectively be dealt with through triggers and scripts, and any of those things you DO add will only make things more difficult for non-scripters. Maintaining 4 buffs, dealing with combat, tracking experience, etc... that's hard. And it's inferior training-wise to something that exploits the timers for exp gain. We don't need to be adding more to non-scripters' plates. In addition, there's also the unintended consequence of creating scripting haves and have-nots. Those who are better coders will cope with the changes. Those who aren't will only do so when the knowledge trickles down.

Cyclics
Of the three options presented, I find only the Bell Curve option even marginally acceptable, though I disagree with that as well, and I think many of the cons for each approach have been missed. The big thing I liked about cyclics is that I could train something during RP situations and not scroll the room, so I didn't feel like that time was completely wasted from a training perspective. I think that's something valuable, and worth keeping.

--Bell
Con - Contrary to what Socharis said, I believe this is hard to figure out, and that anyone who doesn't read the boards will have to be paying VERY close attention to figure this out.
Con - I can figure out the timers and script to ensure that I'm never riding the descending side of the bell curve, only the rising side. Affects non-scripters disproportionately.
Con - Failing to gain experience from using magic doesn't seem to make sense within the game's training paradigm.
Pro - I can still probably train during RP situations with Aether Cloak without scrolling the room too much.
Idea - If the Bell option is gone with, please include an option to RENEW CYCLIC or something to restart the bell curve. Something I can do to input and thus be "worthy" of gaining experience for the action, but doesn't message the room so I can continue doing this for RP situations. Also, please make sure messaging is accurate enough so the non-clued-in people can know what's happening.

--Scaling
Con - Tanks the usefulness of cyclics due to the need to constantly stop and restart. Most cyclics are not good enough to be worth this unless there are no options. I can manage this with scripts during training, but during the times when I really want Bard cyclics or Aether Cloak - sparring and invasions - I can't count on them, the mindshare to interact with them is at a premium. Worst of all, they might take all of my mana if I slip up. This is horrible. Vastly horrible, and basically makes cyclics unusable. PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS.
Con - Fire Rain already takes 30 mana per pulse minimum. This would make it unusable except for the very top tier.

--Mindstate
The worst suggestion yet.
Con - Using cyclics during an invasion will result in tanked experience absorbtion.
Con - The clear answer as to when to use the cyclic is "Almost never, unless absolutely forced," if I'm going to play for any length of time. Often, when I play, I either have time to lock everything and let them drain during logout, or better yet, I have the time to let them drain once and lock again. Mindstate use would kill this. I'd be sacrificing the ability to learn more for short term gain, which is mostly a bad idea.

It's either too easy for short-term play, or just a bad idea to use if you're on for any length of time. If this is the option that was chosen I would probably refuse to choose any cyclics unless their utility was just too great to ignore (Moongate). It's just a waste of a slot.

--Fourth Option - Make Them Suck for Exp Gain
This, I think, is the best option. You obviously don't like the nature of cyclic skill gain. That's fine. Instead of playing games with overly elaborate systems like the bell curve, or overly punitive systems like the other two, just make experience gain really bad from cyclics. This way I can still get some passive gain while RP'ing (1/34 or 2/34, enough to keep something absorbing), but it's not a really valid training tactic to supplement normal spellcasting.
Pro - It's easier to implement.
Pro - It's easier to deal with as a player and easier to understand.
Con - People will have to change some habits. But that has to happen anyway.

Research / Symbiosis
I think this is a kludgy band-aid to avoid having to fix gaps in the spell system, which I don't like. I would prefer the core problem be fixed. In my case, that would be, "Why don't WM's have any higher end Utility spells?" In order for me to even consider using the system it needs to do two things:
1) Be usable in combat. I'm a Warrior Mage. I train everything in combat.
2) Instead of having large roundtimes, work like spellcasting - no RT, (or a small one for cambrinth / harnessing), but instead a delay before you get your experience pop or can use it again. Because while that spell is full prepping, I've trained arcana with cambrinth, retreated and collected something, swung my weapon, and maybe done a hunt for perception. Research has to compete with that kind of gain, not just the guildies who cast and cast over and over outside the city walls.

If it doesn't have those two things, it's simply of no use to those who train everything in combat, and actually makes the game MORE of a grind, because it's just one more skill I have to take time out of fighting to train, and the perceived closing of the gap makes it more unlikely that I'll get more spells to train in my spellcasting in what's supposed to be the primary paradigm of the game - learning by doing.

Here's the thing: If I'm a new player, I shouldn't be doomed to having horrible exp gain because I don't know about the Research verb or the Symbiosis system. DR is about learning by doing. I swing a sword, I learn. I dodge, I learn. I craft a weapon, I learn. I shouldn't have to either tie one hand behind my back while casting with a special verb in order to eke out some experience, or do something entirely OTHER than casting to learn magic experience. That goes totally against the existing Exp gain paradigm of getting better at a thing by DOING the thing. Would we be tolerant of a solution for weapon training gaps that forced players to spend long roundtimes whacking on a training dummy in relative safety but unable to train other things? No, I don't think so. Then we shouldn't be tolerant of Research or Symbiosis. I think they're counter-intuitive, bad for the game, and serve only to make it even more inaccessible to new or non-expert players.

Instead, if you're going to allow the ability to make a spell harder to cast and thus give more experience gain anyway... why care about the difficulty of the spell at all? Why not just have a system where the ingredients for Exp gain are: Full prep, and casting near max mana. Or at least, spell difficulty is a very small part of that equation compared to being near max mana. Eventually, people would be forced to move to harder spells because the amount of mana able to be shoved into a spell would get capped, and that would be that.

This would allow training without kludgy systems that have no purpose other than enabling training (which ought to be simpler than that), or requiring spell slots just for the sake of training, and it would provide a big drain on casters anyway. Casting at huge mana amounts isn't necessarily simple to keep up.

The other solution is to fix the spell training gaps and widen the experience range that a given tier of spell can teach.
Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/15/2013 11:37 PM CST
>Why not just have a system where the ingredients for Exp gain are: Full prep, and casting near max mana. Or at least, spell difficulty is a very small part of that equation compared to being near max mana. Eventually, people would be forced to move to harder spells because the amount of mana able to be shoved into a spell would get capped, and that would be that.

Umm... this is what we have now? The problem is that there aren't appropriate spells at all tiers and difficulty for the toughest spells doesn't scale to 1750, which is why research and symbioses are being proposed.

You're proposing we fix the flaws in the current system by creating the same system we currently use?
Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/15/2013 11:54 PM CST

>Umm... this is what we have now? The problem is that there aren't appropriate spells at all tiers and difficulty for the toughest spells doesn't scale to 1750, which is why research and symbioses are being proposed.

>You're proposing we fix the flaws in the current system by creating the same system we currently use?

I'm saying the proposed cure is far worse than the disease. As it is, magic training isn't flying by. What I'm actually proposing, though, is a middle-ground. Make sure learning scales to 1750, but basically require casting at max ability, more so than it does now.
Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/16/2013 02:31 AM CST
>>I believe the attempt to make systems more difficult for scripters is misguided, and inevitably more destructive to non-scripters.

I don't disagree - I don't think there's been anything to suggest that we're trying to outwit scripters. Having to restart your cyclic every 15 pulses is a trivial thing to script after if you really want to, and that's not really something we're trying to stop. I AM trying to stop the mindless, effortless experience gain that is long-term cyclic running, which not only makes magic ranks less valuable but also puts us in the awkward position of having people more likely to accidentally go AFK while running a cyclic. There's nothing that irks me more than a system that makes it easier for people to mess up and accidentally break the rules.

>>Of the three options presented, I find only the Bell Curve option even marginally acceptable

Yeah, that's the one that seems most viable for a bunch of reasons.

>> The big thing I liked about cyclics is that I could train something during RP situations and not scroll the room

RP situations, combat, AFK, while running and climbing, in basically every situation. Cyclics in 3.0 are things that every adventurer runs at all times, and are such a huge boon for experience that the actual benefits of the spell mean little.

Now, you just need to recast it every 5 minutes or so to keep getting experience. That's hardly a burden on the RP side.

>>Con - Contrary to what Socharis said, I believe this is hard to figure out, and that anyone who doesn't read the boards will have to be paying VERY close attention to figure this out.

"Your cyclic spells will only teach you for a little while after you cast it" is pretty easy to understand and gets at most of the basics.

>>Con - I can figure out the timers and script to ensure that I'm never riding the descending side of the bell curve, only the rising side. Affects non-scripters disproportionately.

Everything scriptable affects non-scripters disproportionately. Scripters can use basically any system easier than a non-scripter. That's also how the world of programming works - Something I can write a powershell script for is easier for me (once I've written the script) than it is for my dad. There's no fixing that in either a text-base game or a real world computer.

>>Con - Failing to gain experience from using magic doesn't seem to make sense within the game's training paradigm.

We can go round and round about this if you insist that a spell is a weapon. Spells are a distinct kind of entity in DR, because their challenge is unique and not parallel to either weapons OR creatures.

>>Pro - I can still probably train during RP situations with Aether Cloak without scrolling the room too much.

RESEARCH will also be good like this, as a sidenote.

A few other Pros you missed:

Pro - Prevents accidental AFK gain (and therefore AFK busts for forgetting to REL CYC)
Pro - Changes cyclics from requiring the least effort and providing the most experience into requiring the least effort and providing the least experience, for magic training. That equation changes slightly with RESEARCH but the change is still important.

>>Idea - If the Bell option is gone with, please include an option to RENEW CYCLIC ... doesn't message the room

An interesting idea. I'll mull it over

>>--Scaling
>>--Mindstate

Yeah, as I said in the original posts, they were some ideas we've had for cyclics but ultimately we did go with Bell for a lot of the reasons you note. Putting them into the discussion is one way I'm attempting to add more transparency to the discussion and also make it clear why Bell is what we went with and why as a fix for what IS broken, Bell works pretty well.

>>--Fourth Option - Make Them Suck for Exp Gain
>> This way I can still get some passive gain while RP'ing (1/34 or 2/34, enough to keep something absorbing)

Fantastic idea! Unfortunately, with the way experience works in DR, this way doesn't work. As we all know, 2/34 gives you just as much experience as 34/34 when a pulse happens. Sure, you have more pulses banked at 34/34, but that's a small amount of time when you're talking about playing for hours at a time. Essentially, if you can get to 2/34 at any reasonable rate, you're learning just as fast as if it mindlocks.

>>Con - People will have to change some habits. But that has to happen anyway.

They actually wouldn't. They can't LOCK as fast, sure, but they'll still gain nearly the same amount of experience.

>>I think this is a kludgy band-aid to avoid having to fix gaps in the spell system, which I don't like.

It is in some ways, from some perspectives. Consider RESEARCH to be a platform that we'll keep building on as time goes on, as an alternative to the mundanity of repeating spellcasts ad nauseam. For now, it's kind of bare-bones in its expansiveness, but it does give a good introduction while also solving aproblem that exists.

>> In my case, that would be, "Why don't WM's have any higher end Utility spells?"

Frankly, a great solution would be 'just write a bunch more spells for all of the guilds'. That sounds great! It also requires a LOT of dev work and time. Those gaps DO need to be filled, but we can't just crap out spells that are meaningful and that everybody wants spells that are meaningful to them, which means not only one Util spell but enough Util spells to make everybody reasonably happy. For every Guild. For every skill. For every skill range. You see the problem.

>>1) Be usable in combat. I'm a Warrior Mage. I train everything in combat.
Then you probably won't want to use RESEARCH. You could certainly use a Symbiosis and use it to cast an augmented ES while in combat if you want.

>>If it doesn't have those two things, it's simply of no use to those who train everything in combat

Correct. Neither is the crafting system, nor The Ways, nor a number of other systems. If you don't want to use RESEARCH, you certainly don't have to (except to choose a Symbiosis when you die, I suppose). This system isn't designed for you, if you want to be fighting while using it.

>>Here's the thing: If I'm a new player, I shouldn't be doomed to having horrible exp gain because I don't know about the Research verb or the Symbiosis system

I agree, but new players are hardly the target audience with this. There are intro/basic spells to train every skill for every guild - This isn't a concern really.

Also, it's an unrelated issue. There's certainly a problem in DR with the way we inform players about systems, but that's a systemic issue that we're working on (the HELP rewrite has been a huge boon for this, for instance).

>> or do something entirely OTHER than casting to learn magic experience.

I think you're mistaken if you think the only part of magic is the part where people cast spells.

> That goes totally against the existing Exp gain paradigm of getting better at a thing by DOING the thing.

What you're DOING when you RESEARCH is experimenting with magical patterns and exploring magical lore. How is that not something you should learn from?

>Instead, if you're going to allow the ability to make a spell harder to cast and thus give more experience gain anyway... why care about the difficulty of the spell at all?

Because it's not simply 'make the difficulty higher'. The lore and RP behind something is extremely in an important - it's the first two letters of our genre. You could ask the 'why' all the way up the chain, but at some point you have to accept that the pursuit of fiction is an important pillar of the game.

>>Why not just have a system where the ingredients for Exp gain are: Full prep, and casting near max mana.

So, your suggestion is an interesting one, but it's not very thoroughly applied. If you get the most experience for casting at a spell's mana cap, then you need a bunch of spells that have mana caps that start very low (for new players) and there are a lot of steps that they can take to keep casting spells near their cap. That means a TON of spells, or the cap doesn't matter much.

Unless you're talking about casting at your personal capacity, which is exactly what we have now.

Or, you could mean that higher-tier spells have higher mana caps (200, 300, etc) to force people to use them instead of the same spell all the way. But then, does that mean that a newbie caster that can pump 15 mana into an ES can pump 15 mana into a MoA? Of course not, that's silly. A new player shouldn't be able to get even the most minimal of effects from a highly advanced spell.

Thus, we need at least a base difficulty, and if we have a base difficulty and that difficulty increases linearly until you hit the mana cap, you've got the same exact experience system that we've implemented in 3.1.

--

Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/16/2013 10:57 AM CST
As someone with little scripting prowess or intent, and a habit of training only combats in combat, and util/warding/aug and a variety of other not directly combat related skills out of combat(I know you can train them there, I just don't. Gasp at my inefficiency) I just wanted to take a moment, make a post, and thank you for developing systems that make an expandable and important improvement to experience gain.

Cheers!
Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/16/2013 11:21 AM CST
Socharis,

Earlier when 3.1 was first being discussed and how cyclic EXP was going to be reduced, it was mentioned that cyclic debilitation spells weren't going to be affected by this change since you were required to be in combat to learn. I've noticed this not to be the case on Test, was this an oversight or did staff change their mind?
Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/16/2013 05:08 PM CST
>>I've noticed this not to be the case on Test, was this an oversight or did staff change their mind?

It's an oversight. TM and Debil should be roughly parallel in terms of how experience plays out for them. I'll add it to the list.

--

Re: Another possible cyclic alternative 12/16/2013 10:07 PM CST
No. Just No. Ress is hard enough to cast at low circles that it'd be damn near impossible to do it if you did this. So No.