Perseverance of Peri'el Spell 01/15/2014 09:35 PM CST
Is finally back.

FIRST THING: Keep in mind, a broad barrier overview is happening at some point, so this spell may be significantly changed (read: nerfed) then, or over the course of testing if it proves to be irredeemably overpowered.

Perseverance of Peri'el is an ablative vitality barrier. It absorbs vitality damage acquired in combat, but not the wounds. Only vitality damage received in combat is affected.

Perseverance of Peri'el is a three slot spell. It's a ritual spell. It's an esoteric warding spell. It's a signature spell. Its prereqs are Tranquility, Iron Constitution and 30th circle.

What cannot be avoided, must be endured. This spell imbues the caster with inner reserves of fortitude and vitality, allowing him prevent the pain and suffering that accompany insults to the body in combat. The pattern's name alludes to the Goddess Peri'el's persistence during her mythical battle against the fearsome World Dragon -- despite grievous injuries, the Goddess persevered, and in the end it was her actions which subdued that terrible beast.

Melete
Events Lead
Advocates Lead
Empath Advocate
Lore Developer
Re: Perseverance of Peri'el Spell 01/16/2014 06:00 PM CST
Sounds neat. The spell selection window doesn't list the description of it though, only the slot cost. It's listed as a ritual spell, but has a mana range of only 30 to 100. It also has a duration that looks like a normal spell...in short, it doesn't seem to "actually" be a ritual spell.

It's also quite powerful. An 80 mana cast (which is described as a "moderate manifestation") absorbed the following: 6 good hits, 6 solid hits, and 4 hard hits. That's zero vitality loss over all of that. It didn't last very long, but that was with just PoP up, no other spells. I was being attacked by a few "rather difficult" opponents, so they were able to clobber me pretty easily. It held up a bit better when I added more defensive spells, and I suspect it would've held for a reasonable amount of time against opponents that don't outclass me quite so much.

So it's not going to make you immortal or anything (at least, not for very long), but it does provide a nice layer of protection. I think it came out pretty good. Personally, I think it seems about right as a normal spell. It seemed odd to me seeing "ritual" and "ablative" on the same spell anyway.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor

Re: Perseverance of Peri'el Spell 01/16/2014 06:07 PM CST
We basically don't want people recasting this on the fly in combat to remain effectively immortal.

At first we thought a recast timer might be a good idea, but that might have the side effect of causing it to be hard to train with, which kind of defeats the purpose of releasing an esoteric warding spell for Empaths.

I may have set the ritual-ness of it up weirdly. I'll dig back through it.

Melete
Events Lead
Advocates Lead
Empath Advocate
Lore Developer
Re: Perseverance of Peri'el Spell 01/16/2014 06:12 PM CST
>>ritual spell min prep of 30

You were right, I screwed that part up. It's fixed now! :]

Melete
Events Lead
Advocates Lead
Empath Advocate
Lore Developer
Re: Perseverance of Peri'el Spell 01/16/2014 07:02 PM CST

Hey Melete,

This spell rocks. Necro's need a ritual spell, mind if we share this one with empaths? Just a suggestion =)

-Grave Lord Zerreck Arkarm
Re: Perseverance of Peri'el Spell 01/16/2014 08:55 PM CST
Does it stack with MAF?
Re: Perseverance of Peri'el Spell 01/16/2014 10:25 PM CST

sure does!
Re: Perseverance of Peri'el Spell 01/16/2014 10:35 PM CST
Beast-Mode-Paths.
Re: Perseverance of Peri'el Spell 01/16/2014 11:12 PM CST
>This spell rocks. Necro's need a ritual spell, mind if we share this one with empaths? Just a suggestion =)

That is a really cool idea that I think fits interestingly with our suite. Even more so if we've corrupted it, and part of the damage is diverted to our pets.
Re: Perseverance of Peri'el Spell 01/17/2014 12:35 AM CST
Empaths are a bit different balance-wise, than Necromancers. Empaths are super, super, suuuper bad at dealing damage, which is something we take into account when designing the rest of a guild's suite of abilities. So you guys see this nifty vit barrier I got approval for, but not the half-dozen damage related spells that didn't make it through the approval gauntlet.

I don't see Necromancers getting a straight clone of this, but when I built it I added hooks that would allow barriers to potentially screw with how your vitality damage comes through.

I do like the idea of there being some kind of synergy between the Necromancer and his summons, but that'd probably have to wait on the pet rewrite, and further again I have pretty much nothing to do with combat balancing so anything like that would have to be approved by both the combat balance guys (Kodius and Socharis) and the Necro team (Abasha and Persida) before it could happen.

Further discussions of a Necromancer vit barrier should probably happen in the Necromancer magic/suggestions folders (not the 3.1 folders) however, to keep our dear Annwyl happy.

Melete
Events Lead
Advocates Lead
Empath Advocate
Lore Developer
Re: Perseverance of Peri'el Spell 01/17/2014 09:23 AM CST

>Empaths are a bit different balance-wise, than Necromancers. Empaths are super, super, suuuper bad at dealing damage

So are necromancers. Not as bad as empaths. But strange arrow is my best TM spell. Same with empaths. They are magic secondary and weapons tertiary. So are necromancers. They rely on pet damage. So do we. We have Usol for aoe TM. That spell has gotten me reported about 10 times. But we have it. We are really not THAT much better off then Empaths at this point.
Re: Perseverance of Peri'el Spell 01/17/2014 10:02 AM CST
>>>>Empaths are a bit different balance-wise, than Necromancers. Empaths are super, super, suuuper bad at dealing damage

>>So are necromancers.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeh not really.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Perseverance of Peri'el Spell 01/17/2014 10:05 AM CST

>Eeeeeeeeeeeeeh not really.

Actually very much so. I don't base my observations on PVE. Just PVP. And in pvp my ability to kill people with similar skills is basically impossible. Just like an empath. The 3.1 changes to constructs i do believe will help this a great deal. But have you ever watched a zombie beat on a player with defences only slightly lower then your buffed TM? It's light hits all day long.
Re: Perseverance of Peri'el Spell 01/17/2014 10:08 AM CST
>>I don't base my observations on PVE. Just PVP.

Found the problem, then.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Perseverance of Peri'el Spell 01/17/2014 10:12 AM CST
With as drastically different as how Player defences and Critter defences work, Zerreck does have a valid point. Many systems/abilities either work differently or not at all on players (GoWard comes to mind) but are very valid in the PVP environment.

Also, the current pack of GMs has been giving serious energy to the PVP side of things, which is great, and highlights the nessessity of contributions like Zerreck's, making them just as valid. I understand you've little to no interest in PVP, to each their own, but stop condescending on folks who do. Thanks

Samsaren
Re: Perseverance of Peri'el Spell 01/17/2014 10:50 AM CST
If we're strictly talking about the PvP side of things, I think Necromancers do infinitely better than Empaths when it comes to dealing damage to players, given that Necromancers are literally capable of dealing damage to players without sacrificing a large portion of their spellbook and abilities.

So, even if we go the "But I mean in PvP" route, it's a silly argument to say Necromancer DPS is comparable to Empath DPS.

Re: Perseverance of Peri'el Spell 01/17/2014 10:58 AM CST
Zombies are a lot tougher than a GS, I believe, and there's HP to consider. I'm disappointed to hear that constructs cap, so that certainly affects combat potential beyond the cap range, but surely HP + geared zombie + construct + RPU > Paralyze + geared GS + vigor

Defensively, I think Empaths are likely a smidge better off, AGS + IC + PoP > CH + PHP, ish?
Re: Perseverance of Peri'el Spell ::NUDGE:: 01/17/2014 12:35 PM CST
As Melete said, if you want to discuss the consideration a Necromancer vitality barrier, please head over to the Necromancer Magic/Suggestions folders (and not these 3.1 folders). Only discussions about 3.1 changes need to take place here.

Moreover, guild versus guild comparisons need to be curtailed please. It never leads to any sort of constructive discussion in the end.

Let's all keep Annwyl happy. Be sure to do your part and post insane songs over in Claims to the Highest Circle.

Helje
DragonRealms Board Monitor

If you have any questions or comments, please contact me at MOD-Helje@play.net, Senior Board Monitor Sidatura at DR-Sidatura@play.net, or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Perseverance of Peri'el Spell 01/17/2014 05:47 PM CST
<<You were right, I screwed that part up. It's fixed now! :]>>

Drat. Any chance of getting some foci available for the Protection book then? Grabbing the feat to use the general one is fine for testing, but it would be nice to ultimately leave it optional.

<<At first we thought a recast timer might be a good idea, but that might have the side effect of causing it to be hard to train with, which kind of defeats the purpose of releasing an esoteric warding spell for Empaths.>>

To be fair, getting several hundred mana streams together for one cast that awards only a few mind states of experience is also hard to train with. If this is to be a practical training spell, ritual spells need to have their experience awards increased by A LOT.

Also, it still doesn't properly have the duration of a ritual spell. Spending 500 mana for 31 minutes of duration is a bit rough :/

I don't mean to sound overly critical, it's really a neat spell and I like it.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Perseverance of Peri'el Spell 01/17/2014 05:56 PM CST
Updated the duration. Keep in mind though that this won't affect the speed with which it ablates, it just makes the spell stick around longer if you don't burn through all of its juice.

Melete
Events Lead
Advocates Lead
Empath Advocate
Lore Developer
Re: Perseverance of Peri'el Spell 01/17/2014 06:10 PM CST
<<Updated the duration. Keep in mind though that this won't affect the speed with which it ablates, it just makes the spell stick around longer if you don't burn through all of its juice.>>

Yup, that's all I was asking for. Thanks much!

-Life Sustainer Karthor