melee/ranged retreating penalty. 03/14/2014 12:24 PM CDT
The penalty for retreating is still flawed, it does not include targeted magic or spells. It seems very logical to me that targeting a fire shard would become harder while you are retreating, not just using a bow. I think all offensive skills should be lumped in with this retreating penalty.
Re: melee/ranged retreating penalty. 03/14/2014 02:16 PM CDT
Retreating certainly seems to have an accuracy TM penalty versus critters. I can retreat myself into totally missing easy targets. And on top of that, TM is now innately less accurate at range compares to melee, regardless of whether the caster retreated or not.

On the second point, I wouldn't particularly care if disablers were subject to the same increasing retreat penalty as TM and bows.
Re: melee/ranged retreating penalty. 03/14/2014 02:35 PM CDT
> On the second point, I wouldn't particularly care if disablers were subject to the same increasing retreat penalty as TM and bows.

Yeah, you are one of the 2 moonmages alive with no intentions of retreating excessively.
Re: melee/ranged retreating penalty. 03/14/2014 02:39 PM CDT
>And on top of that, TM is now innately less accurate at range compares to melee, regardless of whether the caster retreated or not.

Whoa, I totally missed that. When did that happen?
Re: melee/ranged retreating penalty. 03/14/2014 02:42 PM CDT
>> On the second point, I wouldn't particularly care if disablers were subject to the same increasing retreat penalty as TM and bows.

^^

All disablers, including roars and ambushes.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: melee/ranged retreating penalty. 03/14/2014 02:50 PM CDT
> All disablers, including roars and ambushes.

With special attention to spells like Blufmaor Garaen, to make sure they aren't slipping through the cracks or bypassing the penalty, since they have special mechanics.
Re: melee/ranged retreating penalty. 03/14/2014 06:40 PM CDT
<<Whoa, I totally missed that. When did that happen?>>

I believe TM was made to be more accurate at melee to incentivize risk. It is by no means unusable at range.
Re: melee/ranged retreating penalty. 03/17/2014 03:03 PM CDT
Hmm, yeah I thought TM was included with the penalty. Contested spells should be automatically harder at range too IIRC. I'll get back to balancing this more once I delve into hindrance and engagement changes with 3.2.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: melee/ranged retreating penalty. 03/17/2014 04:16 PM CDT
As far as I can tell, TM is included with the penalty. I haven't tried debil, personally.

- Starlear
Re: melee/ranged retreating penalty. 03/17/2014 07:11 PM CDT
As far as I can tell, TM is included with the penalty. I haven't tried debil, personally.
<<<

I don't think it is

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: melee/ranged retreating penalty. 03/17/2014 08:25 PM CDT

I am 100% certain cyclic TM of any kind is not penalized by retreating. But I do feel like single target every day TM is actually. I could be wrong.

-Zerreck Arkarm
Re: melee/ranged retreating penalty. 03/17/2014 08:27 PM CDT
> I am 100% certain cyclic TM of any kind is not penalized by retreating. But I do feel like single target every day TM is actually. I could be wrong.

Yeah the real issue here may be cyclics, debils, and spells with special mechanics bypassing the penalty.
Re: melee/ranged retreating penalty. 03/17/2014 08:38 PM CDT
I forgot about the distance modifier for single cast SvX spells. We've always been told distance affects those. I agree that it definitely doesn't seem to factor into cyclics, whether they're TM or debilitation. It would not surprise me if other unique spell mechanics were also getting around the distance modifiers.
Re: melee/ranged retreating penalty. 03/17/2014 11:16 PM CDT
Yeah I should clarify, but I also meant non-cyclic.

- Starlear