Heavy armor in 3.1 03/07/2014 08:34 PM CST
I'm curious if 3.1 has made heavier armors more viable for armor tert guilds. I have a lowbie war mage that I want to try using brig and plate (all brig with plate greaves), but with almost 60 in defenses he's getting hammered by mobs. I tried taking him to Test, but the copy there is an old one and not usable for current testing of my guy. Should I drop my plate as I hear higher level people are saying? Or will my set-up be viable for the next 100 levels? Thanks for any help.
Re: Heavy armor in 3.1 03/07/2014 10:55 PM CST
Heavy plate for armor tertiary guilds is definitely WAY worse than it should be, to the point of exclusion, which is absurd.

That out of my system... I play a Warrior mage who wears full plate armor past 100th circle, it doesn't stop me from training my skills at all, I rarely take wounds in combat(in test) and since I don't hide, don't have any complaints there. The problem is you're probably going to be BETTER rank for rank if you use a lighter armor, and probably make a better showing in pvp where parry and shield can be bypassed.

So, think it's a personal call thing, do you meta-game or go with a character design? I obviously chose option two, and while I hate the hindrance being SO much more than an armor prime, it doesn't STOP you from training.
Re: Heavy armor in 3.1 03/08/2014 10:12 AM CST
Armor hindrance and other aspects of combat will get some love for 3.2. I am aware that players feel it has issues, but lack any data from which to make improvements. Gathering data takes time that isn't available to me right now...

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Heavy armor in 3.1 03/08/2014 10:42 AM CST
This statement made my day, and I have no problem at all waiting however long, just knowing it's acknowledged as an issue needing to be resolved is reassuring.

I'm willing to provide any data points I'm able, as I have a notable investment in this, of course I mean when 3.1 is off the table, and you're not pulling your hair out trying to reduce scope creep.

Thanks Kodius!
Re: Heavy armor in 3.1 03/08/2014 05:49 PM CST
>>Armor hindrance and other aspects of combat will get some love for 3.2. I am aware that players feel it has issues, but lack any data from which to make improvements. Gathering data takes time that isn't available to me right now...

All due respect Kodius. I'm not trying to start a fight with you, but at least from the armor tertiary warrior mage perspective, we've been dumping data, both anecdotal and empirical at you since the magic guys decided to make YS a waste of a required spell slot.

I am glad you're going to look at it though.

--

In memory of Lisa/Martee. Passed 6/17/2013. A friend. A sister.
Re: Heavy armor in 3.1 03/08/2014 06:48 PM CST

How much longer before 3.1 is released? I notice 3.2 was just mentioned..... how much longer before that is done and released? While I do appreciate the work that is being done in the system, I can't imagine the majority of the player base will be happy with sitting here for another 3 years waiting for the systems to be completed, all the time seeing no real storylines, not even invasions to get involved in.....

I have said before that I play in the off hours, and know that's part of my own issue, but if a GM has a spare couple of hours one day, I'm much prefer to have some fun events to get involved in, or a big invasion with some storyline behind it, rather than the time being spent tweaking a system.

I personally don't want to sit here for the next 3 years doing nothing but training my skills due to their being nothing else to get involved in.
At what point will we say enough is enough, and start putting more focus in to events, storylines, and getting players involved in things in the game rather than the forums and a test server?
Re: Heavy armor in 3.1 03/08/2014 06:56 PM CST
I can't speak for every GM working on 3.X tasks, but when I'm not working on 3.whatever, I am working on other systems projects. Events are by and large not part of the job description of a system developer, nor system development in the job description of Events GMs.

There's certainly some bleed over; I have ran events when I felt particularly inspired to do so, but it's not a simple equation that less system development means more event time.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Heavy armor in 3.1 03/08/2014 07:00 PM CST
First of all, I'm sure Kodius meant more hard data, behind the scenes numbers and formula that are causing the problem, not just a bunch of people saying it's bad, giving appraisals, and pointing out the obvious, which I'm sure he sees plenty of.

Second... There are system teams and event teams, just because the system guys are working their butts off on neat new things doesn't impact story or event progress, it just means things are getting worked on, which should only be a positive thing!

I've played this for over a decade, there's no reason to believe the current team would take three years to release a system, or reason to insult their efforts in inferring so, even if to try and make a point.

I'm sorry if this seems out of line to anyone, but it's hard enough to keep testing with the negativity and hyperbole, I can't imagine trying to develop with it, if you don't want to test or give feedback on development, don't visit test server/test forums.
Re: Heavy armor in 3.1 03/08/2014 07:36 PM CST

You honestly don't think it will take 3 years to have all this in place? How long has it taken to get 3.1 even into test server since 3.0 was released? Don't get me wrong, what these guys do (for free) is amazing, and I know their time is limited, its not a job they get paid to do 40 hours a week, but being realistic, we are looking at years before all the combats, magics, and lore/craft systems are released and working as planned.

My worry is, when there is nothing happening in the game, no invasion, no GM characters logged in to drive a storyline, or nothing big like a Lyras war, then people will go into hunting grounds and script their skills, or into the forge and script their skills.....

The more hours people spend in hunting grounds, or in the forge, or the mine, the higher skills get, and the higher their wealth gets.....

As things get higher and higher, we then have to look at new systems to adapt to the fact someone considered mid level is sitting on 1000 ranks in combat (not right now, but a year or two of combat training for a lot of people and it would be the case).

I'm not saying the world is ending, but what I am saying is, if you don't give the players things to get involved in, then they are going to script skills, and you will need to build a new system in a few years to deal with it. While events are happening, even just simple invasions, people come out of the hunting grounds and out of the forge and they get involved.... while they are involved in these events and invasions, they are not gaining more skills or more coins, and not advancing through circles and ranks so quickly.
Re: Heavy armor in 3.1 03/08/2014 08:04 PM CST
There's a lot more events that happen than I think you're giving the Events folks credit for.

- Starlear -
Re: Heavy armor in 3.1 03/08/2014 08:18 PM CST
>>no GM characters logged in to drive a storyline

One day, I hope people will let go of this driving need for hand held interactions. Some of the most interesting evenings I've had in DR have involved -Z E R O- GM interaction, and solely between myself and other players.

That said, its been stated Events staff and Dev staff are different teams, work from one doesn't impede work from the other. Additionally, pointing at 3.1s dev time as a reason for angst is hardly fair as the scope of that release ballooned rapidly.

Samsaren
Re: Heavy armor in 3.1 03/08/2014 08:22 PM CST
>>My worry is, when there is nothing happening in the game, no invasion, no GM characters logged in to drive a storyline, or nothing big like a Lyras war, then people will go into hunting grounds and script their skills, or into the forge and script their skills.....

Somniumvisum, we've already had this discussion extensively in another thread. You were told then (by both players and GMs) about the plethora of events that have been happening. I'm not sure what else we can possibly say to make you feel better.

Some of the biggest things that happened since last August alone:

- Many invasions of Zoluren by Elpalzi, including an ongoing storyline where they blew up Ulf'Hara Keep.
- Many invasions of many provinces by Akul'tiz, along with a giant storyline that involved blotting out the sun and erupting the Lesser Fist.
- Several invasions of Ilithi by wyverns, which I believe spread to other provinces occasionally via moongate.
- I'm told there were some orc invasions of Therengia, but I didn't see these personally. Also pirates.
- High-end raffles, open to all.
- 2-3 mini festivals (Elothean-themed, Prydaen-themed, and the recent Shard bridge faire).
- Hollow Eve, major pay festival.

And this isn't mentioning the countless player-run events that show up every day on the Events calendar. There are three just today.

I get that you live in an off time zone. I've lived there. It's lonely. But you can still visit the festivals, go to the player-run events in your time zone, pounce on GMNPCs who show up in your login screen, watch Twitter for updates, and read the forums for news reports. Further, you can MAKE your own events. If things aren't happening in your time zone, it's up to you (and the few others that operate in it) to make things happen. We just can't expect volunteer GMs who live and work in the US to cover you as often as they cover the US zones.

Finally and most importantly, what Armifer mentioned: there are separate GM teams. Events GMs are typically not working on 3.1 stuff. They are working, as much as they have the time and energy to do so, on all these events that have been coming out. And there are several of them, I think at least five. Those above big events are their work.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Heavy armor in 3.1 03/08/2014 09:37 PM CST
>>You honestly don't think it will take 3 years to have all this in place?

Yes.

>>How long has it taken to get 3.1 even into test server since 3.0 was released?

It was on test in under a year, launch will be at about the 15 month mark. Which is quite a bit longer than we would have liked, the initial push was for it to be at about the six month mark but a number of other development concerns, some real life conflicts and some project scope got in the way.

If I had to take a wild guess I would say 3.2 will be about a year from now. We could do it sooner but I think everyone is going to want a little time between 3.2 and 3.1 development push to work on unrelated projects and hopefully we can get 3.2's major development push to NOT fall on top of UnCon/SimuCon and the HE push (Both 3.0 and 3.1 suffered from this).

>>My worry is, when there is nothing happening in the game, no invasion, no GM characters logged in to drive a storyline, or nothing big like a Lyras war,

As as been mentioned by Armifer right above your post, and by other players, Events GMs are not the same people developing 3.1. Do some Development GMs run Events when the mood strikes them or when they need it for a release? Yes. Do all of them? No.

The only plotline being specifically held up by 3.1 is the current Moon Mage eventline because some of the technical things it needs for the next step are caught up in 3.1 development. But in general I need to split my time between support for it (Both running events and building the things to go with it - And trust me, that's a lot of things) and my primary GM duties. Right now those other GM duties are 3.1 but that's by no means the only development demand on my time. Even with all those factors the story line has been progressing (Albeit slower than intended mostly due to real life the last few months).

-FGM Raesh
Culture Lead
Race Lead
Moon Mages Advocate
Bard Advocate (Interim)
Albarian Champion
Lore Team
Magic Team
Creature Team
Default Justice Guy
Re: Heavy armor in 3.1 03/08/2014 09:44 PM CST
I've been back for less than a month and have already participated in two invasions furthering the Elpalzi storyline, and barely missed a raffle today because I was sleeping when the tweet went out(and then Plat got two raffles so I was waiting for the second one for Prime and it never came. Sadface) and I generally play at off hours late at night and early in the morning PST because of my two jobs.
Re: Heavy armor in 3.1 03/08/2014 09:51 PM CST
So I just glanced up to see what folder this was in (I read by "show all new").

... What the heck guys.

Discussions of events, lack of events, the nature of events and the color of events should NOT be in the 3.1 test folders, NOT in the combat folder and NOT in a thread called "Heavy armor in 3.1".

This discussion is over here.

If you wish to continue it please take it to Events and Happenings in DragonRealms' Elanthia -> General Discussions.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Heavy armor in 3.1 03/08/2014 10:12 PM CST
>>My worry is, when there is nothing happening in the game, no invasion, no GM characters logged in to drive a storyline, or nothing big like a Lyras war, then people will go into hunting grounds and script their skills, or into the forge and script their skills.....

As GM Armifer mentioned, there is very little overlap between the set of GMs whose main purpose is to run events (Events GMs) and the set of Development GMs. If X3 were suddenly miraculously finished, the GMs who are working on it wouldn't drop everything to run events, they'd just work on other non-X3 systems.

I believe I am the only GM who is officially in both camps (working on X3, events), in case that is a source of confusion.

Finally, the statement quoted above just is not true. There are multiple storylines going right now (Elpalzi, what's up with Ralel?, Necro stuff), there was a street faire in Shard that lasted several days (fireworks, a parade, games, altering, talent shows, lots of GMPCs!), as well as numerous invasions and raffles. Many of these have happened at prime time hours for the US, but several have happened in off hours (some in the early morning for the US, some in the middle of the night).

In any case -- if you want to continue the event derail, we'll have to continue it in the event category, as this is not the proper folder for event-related discussions.

If you want to continue the thread, go here: http://forums.play.net/forums/13/116/797/post

Melete
Events Lead
Advocates Lead
Empath Advocate
S'Kra Mur Race Co-Champion
Lore Developer
Re: Heavy armor in 3.1 03/09/2014 06:25 AM CDT

I take on board what people have said, and apologies for unleashing in this thread, it was not the place to do it.
People are right, we have had this discussion several times on these folders now, and since those discussions nothing has really changed, hence my frustration, but I will keep a lid on it or post in the correct place next time.

Thanks
Re: Heavy armor in 3.1 03/10/2014 01:13 PM CDT
>Armor hindrance and other aspects of combat will get some love for 3.2. I am aware that players feel it has issues, but lack any data from which to make improvements. Gathering data takes time that isn't available to me right now...

I can’t give you very specific data over statistically significant sample sets, but I’ve had the opportunity recently to fight two different warrior mages now, at least one of them a few times, in a real world spar setting (i.e. we’re all buffed and presumably putting our best foot forward) and can provide the following anecdotal experiences.

1. With ~760 in a weapon and capped RW (OF buff), I can hit the warrior mage who has ~1050 shield and ~1000 evasion plus capped AEG (shield buff) and SW (evasion + reflex buff) and wears full brig or plate occasionally without debuffs and regularly with just a stun. The warrior mage has 900s in plate and 800s and augments his ranks with YS.

2. With the same weapon, I can hit the warrior mage who has ~900s in shield and evasion plus capped AEG and SW and wears full chain very rarely even with a stun. The warrior mage probably has roughly the same ranks in his armor skill and most likely augments with YS.

3. The second warrior mage in chain can outlast the warrior mage in plate in this setting despite lighter armor and fewer ranks in defenses.

I don’t have a horse in this race and I have a lot of respect for warmies in any flavor of armor (read: their offense scares the hell out of me), so I won’t comment on why things should be one way or the other. Just providing some anecdotal experiences in case it might be useful.
Re: Heavy armor in 3.1 03/10/2014 01:49 PM CDT
What Warb said basically mirrors my personal experience wearing plate vs wearing chain, with the added qualifier that what you would assume to be true of wearing the heavier armor (IE, you get hit more but for less or no damage) ends up not being true. I would guess because the penalty to evasion from the hindrance means that you get blasted by annihilating hits that get reduced down to hard by your armor...as opposed to just dodging or getting hit lightly because you evade most of a hit in lighter armor, even with a huge armor rank disparity (IE at plate close to my evasion I get wrecked, but with chain nowhere near it I am fine).

- Starlear -
Re: Heavy armor in 3.1 03/11/2014 02:43 PM CDT
Thanks for the replies all! I did learn some things (including stuff in the derail). I've decided to switch to chain/brig for my set up and go from there. Let's see how this one goes.
Re: Heavy armor in 3.1 03/11/2014 03:18 PM CDT
>I would guess because the penalty to evasion from the hindrance means that you get blasted by annihilating hits that get reduced down to hard by your armor...as opposed to just dodging or getting hit lightly because you evade most of a hit in lighter armor, even with a huge armor rank disparity (IE at plate close to my evasion I get wrecked, but with chain nowhere near it I am fine).

I actually mentioned this a few weeks ago in a different thread, and it is just that. The evasion loss from the plate penalty is so terrible that you not only get hit more, you block hits less effectively and thus get hit harder, which negates the superior armor stats completely.

The tradeoff for a damite mail set -> damite plate set was two levels of protection. If all 18 levels are the same [and assuming the cap is 100%], then that's about 11% better. I know that's not the case but it's the closest example I have on hand.

However, minimum hindrance goes from Fairly to (as far as I can tell for terts), Highly. If all hindrance levels are the same [and assuming the cap is 100%], that's roughly a 35% greater hindrance.

The only time Plate is viable is if you're underhunting big time...but in that case, any armor is viable.

Additionally, there is a ridiculous penalty to retreating if you wear plate. Is Hindrance penalizing Defending as well...?
Re: Heavy armor in 3.1 03/11/2014 10:50 PM CDT
A follow up question: How would one efficiently set up a mixed armor set for training both chain and brig? This would be for a war mage (armor tert). All chain with brig greaves? Brig body with chain accessories? Would like to hear peoples thoughts on this. Thanks!
Re: Heavy armor in 3.1 03/11/2014 11:11 PM CDT
When it comes to mixing armor on armor tertiary characters, I use the smallest accessories like eye and/or neck armor for the heaviest armor types.
Re: Heavy armor in 3.1 03/11/2014 11:13 PM CDT
>A follow up question: How would one efficiently set up a mixed armor set for training both chain and brig? This would be for a war mage (armor tert). All chain with brig greaves? Brig body with chain accessories? Would like to hear peoples thoughts on this. Thanks!

I'm not sure how efficient it is but I was having good luck training and surviving with a lumium barbute helm (plate), ring mail mask (chain) and a lumium brigandine aventail. Leathers and leather gloves to keep my overall hinderance down in the face of the armor mix penalty.

Wouldn't chain body and brig accessories give you less overall maneuvering hinderance than brig body/chain accessories?

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Heavy armor in 3.1 03/12/2014 05:13 AM CDT
As an armor tert I try to avoid mixing as much as possible due to hindrance/penalty constraints. I typically wear an all cloth set up and swap graves to work each armor type. Once above a certain exp level I swap back to our cloth. I would recommend the least hindering chain and swap heaves to brig temporarily to get some exp with it and go back to chain. Wounds add up quick.
Re: Heavy armor in 3.1 03/13/2014 05:03 PM CDT

When mixing armors, to get the best out of training, I like to use sleeves.

At the moment I wear a chain robe, then plate sleeves and balaclava, this gives me a nice even spread and they lock roughly at around the same pace.

I have noticed a huge difference since 3.0 was released. I used to be able to train 3 or 4 armors together, but now even mixing 2 types of armor on my warmie gets me hit far more often than if I wear just one type