Maneuever Doublestrike thoughts 01/24/2014 02:48 PM CST
This is by far one of the aspects of 3.1 I'm most excited for. I'm curious if there's any plans, with all the parry and shield kajiggering, to consider providing a parry buff for holding an offhand weapon based on Offhand skill and the weapons skill?

I envision my characters who have trained for it to be holding two weapons far more frequently now, and it would be neat if thematically and mechanically this setup provided some kind of defensive bonus as well.

That said, I'm not sure how to factor it properly. Perhaps if Weapon and Offhand are withing 10% of one another, provide a 10% bonus to parry when dual wielding? Or maybe I'm jumping the gun and all this is better suited for defensive maneuvers (if those are even being considered).
Re: Maneuever Doublestrike thoughts 01/24/2014 02:52 PM CST
I have not yet thought much about offhand parry. It is mechanically a major thing to add. In 100s of places combat has commented out hooks for it, but its a gigantic mess :(

If we allowed offhand weapons to increase parry score, it would need to be more heavily penalized by shield (or penalize shield). Maybe a simple +10% parry, -10% shield would be sufficient enough. Hard to say. Otherwise everyone would hold 2 weapons and use an armworn shield to "game" the system :)

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Maneuever Doublestrike thoughts 01/24/2014 02:55 PM CST
Yeah, I did consider that as being an issue. Oh well, I'm sure something additionally cool/added tweaks will come as more people utilize doublestrike.

Unrelated, what is a 'hook'?
Re: Maneuever Doublestrike thoughts 01/24/2014 03:06 PM CST
It would be cool if a successful parry could result in a chance to automatically counterattack with your offhand.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.