Suggestion for Lob, Throw, Hurl 01/19/2014 09:37 PM CST
I haven't really put too much thought into this but I'm wondering if it would make some sense to give these attacks some balance mechanics like other attacks.

Lob could gain similar to Jab.
Throw could be a slight gain, like slice/thrust/punch.
Hurl could be a loss, like Chop/lunge.

Even if it's not as much as Jab/Chop, I think any amount would help balance things out.

Main reason I'm thinking about this is either I am completely out of my mind or in test balance and position are worth a lot more than they are in prime. To the point where if I'm solidly balanced and my opponent is in better (or higher) position my accuracy at level (trains acceptably) drops to about 50%.

Trouble is with Thrown weapons there's no way to gain any balance.

If you do land some hits you will eventually push your opponent out of position but it can take a lot of misses to force your way through the reduced accuracy.

Sure you could just Feint/Jab with your thrown weapon, but that's asking someone to train a whole extra weapon skill to be able to effectively use LT/HT.

This will probably make bow people upset, but bows are Aim-able and Snipe-able, so I see that as a fair trade off.

Maybe a good way to balance out LT vs HT would be to give one more balance over the other.
Re: Suggestion for Lob, Throw, Hurl 01/20/2014 07:38 AM CST
Yeah definately. Thrown is so gimped rank for rank accuracy wise. Things I have a hard time hitting with mid 600s LT are easier to hi t with low to mid 500s brawling and SE.
Re: Suggestion for Lob, Throw, Hurl 01/20/2014 08:46 AM CST
>>balance and position are worth a lot more than they are in prime

I've not touched how those interact with combat in Test.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Suggestion for Lob, Throw, Hurl 01/20/2014 10:13 AM CST
One Intercessor in Prime from 100% healthy to 100% dead, no buffs, using throw without doing anything to gain balance/position:

4,5,4,3,4,4,4,m,6,6,4,5,4,7

One Intercessor in Test from 100% healthy to 100% dead, no buffs, using throw without doing anything to gain balance/position:

m,m,m,m,1,m,m,m,3,2,m,m,m,3,m,m,1,m,m,5,3,4,5,m,m,m,4,m,m,4,m,4,m,5,4,m,7,5,7

One Intercessor in Test, no buffs, Using Bob several times to first get better balance and position and then throw.

4,5,6,m,4,m,4,4,5,7,7,5,7

I can recreate this test with very similar numbers against just about anything that would give me LT exp, from Drakes (poorly) up to Anchons (very well).

My weapon:

You are certain that it could do:
poor (2/26) puncture damage
heavy (9/26) slice damage
somewhat moderate (6/26) impact damage
no (0/26) fire damage
no (0/26) cold damage
no (0/26) electric damage

The throwing axe is poorly (3/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the axe is fairly (5/17) balanced and is decently (6/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

The Intercessor:

Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a black throwing axe set with a trilliant cut night diamond, you are certain that the Dragon Priest intercessor is a very easy opponent.
If you attacked with a black throwing axe set with a trilliant cut night diamond, you are certain that the enemy would train acceptably.
If you threw the axe at the enemy you are certain that it would train acceptably.
Re: Suggestion for Lob, Throw, Hurl 01/20/2014 03:48 PM CST
I'm wondering if the tightening of combat ranges is what is making balance now feel more important in test?

Either way, I love the suggestion for having ways to gain/lose balance while using thrown weapons.
Re: Suggestion for Lob, Throw, Hurl 01/20/2014 04:19 PM CST
It would be an excellent niche for a new tactics move.