Prayer Bead Carving 01/06/2014 12:02 PM CST

I don't know whether this is under skills or Clerical stuff, but I'll post it here and one side or another can yell at me. ;)
I went into Test to try carving prayer beads. I put my ranks of Mech into Outfitting (my highest one) to see if that would make a difference. There was no difference as far as messaging, but I found that carving beads still trained Mech (and nothing else). Will it always be this way, or will carving prayer beads teach one of the five Mech Split skills?
Thanks!
Re: Prayer Bead Carving 01/06/2014 07:03 PM CST
In the future, it's going to be Engineering (specifically, Carving). At least, that was what was stated several months ago now. Also that the other crafting skills would have similar rituals involved, although nothing is planned yet. Least, not that I've seen on the boards.
Re: Prayer Bead Carving 01/09/2014 01:18 PM CST
>>> In the future, it's going to be Engineering (specifically, Carving). At least, that was what was stated several months ago now. Also that the other crafting skills would have similar rituals involved, although nothing is planned yet. Least, not that I've seen on the boards.

I am sort of interested to see how Kodius handles these sorts of crafting skills once enchanting goes live. It would be hard to justify turning off mech if you can't craft beads, bows and arrows and such. On the other hand I am not sure he wants bead carving to train engineering without being converted to the new system. My guess is he will turn off learning for these skills and let them use the highest of mech or the appropriate skill (or even the highest crafting skill so as not to penalize those who convert to forging but still wan't to carve items for devotion maybe?). Anyway, we will see.
Re: Prayer Bead Carving 01/11/2014 12:39 AM CST
Old systems will continue to teach Mech until we can convert them. They should use Mech OR something like Engineering (whichever is higher) in case someone decided to convert their ranks over.

Bead crafting will probably be split up between shaping and carving. Carving for bone/stone and shaping for wood/clay. I am not familiar with what additional process is done to make it holy, but we'll add that after-the-fact.

In other words, you'll be able to carve 400 types of images (or any MONSTER or PLAYER you've studied). Some of those finished carvings will be usable (if of high enough quality) in a short ritual to make a prayer bead.

Probably not coming before the summer though. After enchanting I want to quickly get shaping out (for bows) and then move onto Poison making.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Prayer Bead Carving 01/11/2014 04:45 AM CST
> Some of those finished carvings will be usable (if of high enough quality) in a short ritual to make a prayer bead.

Please also make the god-animal carvings valid offerings for favor orbs. I imagine that's more about the altar system than the crafting system, though.