Whispers of the Muse change 02/17/2014 08:46 AM CST
I've reduced Whispers of the Muse to only boost your top crafting skill and to only cost one spell slot. While this isn't a straight nerf (The slot cost reduction is fairly significant), I won't pretend that it isn't mostly a nerf. So why is it being done? Because it was becoming a fairly gnarly design constraint. For example, does this mean Empaths and Traders (the other lore primary guilds) could be able to boost all the crafting skills too? Does that take the form of five different spells where you pick the one you want? Or do they get a "top two" design as well? What happens when all the lore primary guilds all have boosts for all the crafting skills on top of the other lore perks for crafting (More hobbies and careers, primary skill set, skills in their SoI for boosting), is that piling too much on to make non-lore primes viable as crafters?

The answer to many of those questions is unclear, but the fact is that Whispers of the Muse as it stood was setting the baseline too high. This also encourages a Bard to seek out others for their crafting boosts (as those come on line) if they choose to train more than one crafting skill which was a scenario that would essentially never arise before.

(This will be live in once Test is back up, since it seems to be down right now, and I notice long enough to roll in the new version).

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Whispers of the Muse change 02/17/2014 10:55 AM CST
<<This also encourages a Bard to seek out others for their crafting boosts (as those come on line) if they choose to train more than one crafting skill which was a scenario that would essentially never arise before>>

wait though - as a lore primary bards can choose 2 careers <plus one hobby> - so, they don't get to boost both, only one, if they choose careers in different crafts? <i.e. tinkering and weaponsmithing for example, if they chose careers in both of these, rather than say, weaponsmithing and blacksmithing; which both have careers in the same skill <forging>. This doesn't seem quite right.

<<If I can't cast thunderclap, you can't summon the dark lord of the abyss to devour the flesh of the innocent>>
Re: Whispers of the Muse change 02/17/2014 11:00 AM CST
>>wait though - as a lore primary bards can choose 2 careers <plus one hobby> - so, they don't get to boost both, only one, if they choose careers in different crafts?

They also can't boost their hobby, just like lots of guilds can't boost their careers at all (let alone both).

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Whispers of the Muse change 02/18/2014 02:09 PM CST

Not a big deal actually. Nobody likes being reduced but this one mostly makes sense.

Any chance that you can get Kodius to kick over the crafting fixes he made to test to make muse actually work? We're not going to be able to test your changes completely if not.

--

In memory of Lisa/Martee. Passed 6/17/2013. A friend. A sister.
Re: Whispers of the Muse change 02/18/2014 02:55 PM CST
I wouldn't worry about testing this one too much, about the only thing I'd be worried about not working is if the logic occasionally broke and picked the wrong skill to boost but I don't really see that happening. Two top is actually a much trickier design and a simple skill booster is about as basic as a spell can get (I think I can do a TM spell with slightly less code, but a lot more messaging).

-Raesh