Some Bard spell changes. 02/01/2014 10:17 PM CST
Heya folks,

Here's a few things being marked off the list of Bard issues.

- Misdirection casts no longer replace the buff unless the buff is better than the current one.
- Rage of the Clans now bonuses To-hit numbers for both melee and missile type contests. You will no longer see any indication of it in exp mods since it no longer boosts ranks. Most of the spread to group code was rewritten as well.

More stuff to happen soonish.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Magic, Sentients Team Member
Cleric Advocate
Re: Some Bard spell changes. 02/01/2014 11:13 PM CST
Hey Ric,

Any chance that Nexus and Resonance could be made more user friendly, by allowing them to be recast? These are the only two non-cyclic Utility spells that train at high ranks, and being unable to recast them makes them unusable for training purposes. All the other magic skills are easily trainable at high ranks (1200+).

I realize that we have cyclic spells that train well at these levels, but there doesn't seem to be a reason that these two spells have this limitation.

Thanks!
GENT
Re: Some Bard spell changes. 02/01/2014 11:31 PM CST
> - Misdirection casts no longer replace the buff unless the buff is better than the current one.

Great news.

> - Rage of the Clans now bonuses To-hit numbers for both melee and missile type contests.

I'm pleased that this solves my complaints about Rage, but I feel compelled to point out that it's not really fair to barbs if we get to bypass weapon SOI by not using a skill booster.

> Most of the spread to group code was rewritten as well.

Great, I'll give it a shot.
Re: Some Bard spell changes. 02/02/2014 02:18 AM CST
An accuracy boost does not affect your damage cap. A skill booster does. So, different animals.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Some Bard spell changes. 02/08/2014 02:20 PM CST
Resonance should now work a bit better for folks.

A new cast should replace any effects of an old cast.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Magic, Sentients Team Member
Cleric Advocate
Re: Some Bard spell changes. 02/08/2014 03:37 PM CST
Just tested, and it looks to be working as advertised. Thanks.

I'm a little surprised at how poorly it's teaching me, though. Repeated casting didn't get me off 1/34. Since I tend to change weapons every 5-10 minutes, I'll be pouring a lot of mana into this spell. It'd be nice to learn a bit better.
Re: Some Bard spell changes. 02/08/2014 04:01 PM CST
> I'm a little surprised at how poorly it's teaching me, though. Repeated casting didn't get me off 1/34. Since I tend to change weapons every 5-10 minutes, I'll be pouring a lot of mana into this spell. It'd be nice to learn a bit better.

Actually, just thought of a solution to this: I can add a symbiosis, and then it teaches well. But now I can't cap it, which means I'll need to accept a weaker Resonance/symbiosis in order to learn. But then it occurred to me that since I'm recasting so often, I might as well move some stance points from duration to potency, and now I can get a capped bonus again. And I checked; stance points do affect symbioses. So learning is looking good.
Re: Some Bard spell changes. 02/08/2014 04:23 PM CST
Thanks for that fix Ricinus!