Pyre vs Aban slot cost 12/09/2013 04:51 PM CST
Why does Aban cost so much more than Pyre? (5 slots vs 3)

They both deal AoE damage. Aban pulses are 20 seconds apart, while Pyre pulses are 18 seconds apart. The both have a secondary effect: Aban drains fatigue, while Pyre has its naphtha boosts.

Is spirit damage really so valuable? Or is it the fatigue hit? Because I would gladly drop the fatigue drain for a cost reduction.
Re: Pyre vs Aban slot cost 12/09/2013 05:45 PM CST
Well, if they weren't aoe it would only cost 1 slot more, which if you look at what each spell does individually makes sense. Adding aoe makes the costs double.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Magic, Sentients Team Member
Cleric Advocate
Re: Pyre vs Aban slot cost 12/09/2013 05:48 PM CST
So they'd be 2 and 3 without AoE? Does spirit damage cost more than elemental damage, or is it just the fatigue drain that's making Aban cost more?
Re: Pyre vs Aban slot cost 12/09/2013 06:16 PM CST
That whole naphtha boost isn't even all that great now that Pyre can't readily ignite naphtha due it it requiring a body part-targeted shot nowadays and Pyre being a random hit. I used to enjoy using naphtha from time to time, but now it's too irritating for me to care much about. I know it's a separate issue from spell slot cost, but I wouldn't be sad if it disappeared and thus reduced the cost.

-Broichan Leshyahen

> hum tuneless
You hum a tuneless tune.
Re: Pyre vs Aban slot cost 12/09/2013 08:23 PM CST
For what it's worth, I like the fatigue drain of ABAN. And I like the naphtha portion of PYRE -- I just hope that it will become a little more user friendly.

I am also curious, though, why ABAN and PYRE have different costs.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Pyre vs Aban slot cost 12/09/2013 09:19 PM CST
Fatigue drain costs more than the naphtha thing. This shouldn't be surprising, as it has much broader applications.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Pyre vs Aban slot cost 12/09/2013 11:41 PM CST
> Fatigue drain costs more than the naphtha thing.

I don't think it's worth the 2 slot difference. So if dropping it in order to reduce the cost to 3 is on the table, mark me down in favor of that.
Re: Pyre vs Aban slot cost 12/10/2013 04:46 AM CST
Could someone put a summary of what spells changed their slot cost, went from cyclic to non-cyclic, and had any other major (or minor) changes? I haven't had time to check out test, and all the information seems to be scattered over several different posts. A 3.1 Bard page on E-pedia would be great, too, if someone has the time for it.
Re: Pyre vs Aban slot cost 12/10/2013 09:28 AM CST
With the caveat that things in test are still mutable, here's the current lineup of spells and their prereqs and costs for the guild.

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/User:Mrbobcat/Sandbox

-Broichan Leshyahen

> hum tuneless
You hum a tuneless tune.
Re: Pyre vs Aban slot cost 12/10/2013 09:46 AM CST
> here's the current lineup of spells and their prereqs and costs for the guild.

I really think Misd is in the wrong spellbook. You're creating silence around yourself while simultaneously creating distracting noises around the enemy. Seems like textbook Sound Manipulation. Emotion Control can have Hodi or Drum in exchange.
Re: Pyre vs Aban slot cost 12/10/2013 12:47 PM CST
I'd have to look over the current messaging (I know Ricinus has done work on it) but the old version that the spellbook placement was based on was very much based on playing with their head, not literally causing distracting noises.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Pyre vs Aban slot cost 12/10/2013 01:37 PM CST
>> With the caveat that things in test are still mutable, here's the current lineup of spells and their prereqs and costs for the guild.

*Thumbs up*

Thanks Broichan.

- - -
~Dreamheart Delaevan Forestwolf
Broken Bard since January 19, 2013 - 2 Dolefaren 407
Re: Pyre vs Aban slot cost 12/10/2013 01:59 PM CST

Thanks Broichan!

After seeing the costs and prereqs I'm running out slots when thinking about spell feats and eventually screams becoming spells. Seems like too much for a magic secondary guild. Still think screams shouldn't be spells especially with how TM is these days, but that's in the future anyways. Got some interesting decisions to make regarding spells especially since some would be taken just because their prereqs is a shame.

Will see how it all sorts itself out in the end.
Re: Pyre vs Aban slot cost 12/10/2013 02:20 PM CST
You should be running out of slots - picking certain spells vs feats and so forth should be a choice.

-Raesh

Re: Pyre vs Aban slot cost 12/10/2013 02:45 PM CST
I'm fine with there being more spells that I want than I can afford. The real pain comes when I'm forced to spend slots on spells I don't want as prereqs. It's not so bad with a spell like Hodi -- given the choice, I probably wouldn't have picked it, but I'm sure I'll get some mileage out of it; the more painful ones for me are Aewo, GJ and Repr, which I can't ever see myself using. Especially GJ and Repr, which are so very niche.
Re: Pyre vs Aban slot cost 12/10/2013 03:08 PM CST
>> The real pain comes when I'm forced to spend slots on spells I don't want

I second this.

- - -
Re: Pyre vs Aban slot cost 12/10/2013 03:41 PM CST
>>Still think screams shouldn't be spells especially with how TM is these days, but that's in the future anyways.

Ew, screams are supposed to become magical? Do not want.
Re: Pyre vs Aban slot cost 12/10/2013 07:50 PM CST
>>Still think screams shouldn't be spells especially with how TM is these days, but that's in the future anyways.

The thing that's nice about screams is that they are an instant effect rather than prep, wait, cast. That's the big thing that I don't want to see go away.
Re: Pyre vs Aban slot cost 12/10/2013 08:02 PM CST
The idea is that they would be similar to Dragon's Breath in function - you cast and release at a later time.

-Raesh

Re: Pyre vs Aban slot cost 12/10/2013 08:44 PM CST
> The real pain comes when I'm forced to spend slots on spells I don't want

>I second this.

I don't play a bard (or honestly any magic users anymore) but isn't that part and parcel with the systems? I have to take barb abilities I don't want to stack to the ones I do, same with Khri, have to take a couple I wouldn't otherwise use to get the combos.
Re: Pyre vs Aban slot cost 12/10/2013 10:15 PM CST
> I really think Misd is in the wrong spellbook. You're creating silence around yourself while simultaneously creating distracting noises around the enemy. Seems like textbook Sound Manipulation. Emotion Control can have Hodi or Drum in exchange.

All of the spellbook placements and designations of intro/basic/advanced/esoteric weren't changed from what I pulled the chart off of the current elanthipedia page. I didn't take any time to change those things as they didn't impact my goal of showing spell slot costs and prereq relations, so I apologize for any inconsistencies/errors with those. Totally unintentional! I just threw up the working copy I had made.

-Broichan Leshyahen

> hum tuneless
You hum a tuneless tune.
Re: Pyre vs Aban slot cost 12/11/2013 12:53 PM CST
I don't believe I have ever hear Silvy utter the words, intro, basic, advanced, or esoteric. So I don't know how we could confirm it anyway.

- - -
Re: Screams 12/11/2013 12:57 PM CST
>> The thing that's nice about screams is that they are an instant effect

Screams are an ability. I have no idea what Dragon's Breath is, how to use it, or what it does, but why is an ability that we earned being turned into a spell that we have to try to find a slot for? :(

- - -
Re: Screams 12/11/2013 01:16 PM CST
Because it's a combat skill that does damage which means it needs to use TM, this was a mandate put in place years and years ago that screams never conformed to and has been an outstanding issue the entire time. This decision predates my joining staff (So going on four years now), though I'm responsible the current plan of salvaging them as a TM spell instead of just removing them as a damage ability. They were going to be a psuedo non-spell that used TM but down that path lies madness (And a massive amount of custom code that all begs the question 'why isn't this just a spell?'). I don't think anyone can argue that destroying people with your voice isn't supernatural.

-Raesh

Re: Screams 12/11/2013 01:21 PM CST
> Screams are an ability. I have no idea what Dragon's Breath is, how to use it, or what it does, but why is an ability that we earned being turned into a spell that we have to try to find a slot for? :(

Keep in mind that this is supposed to happen within the context of a rewrite and expansion of our abilities list. It won't just be "Bam! Now bards have fewer abilities."
Re: Screams 12/11/2013 01:26 PM CST
This is part of why it's been left alone so long, I need to see how magic settles out (and we're close) before I can really look at where Bards are and figure out where their abilities step in so Bards aren't left with unwanted gaps or redundant spells/abilities.

-Raesh

Re: Screams 12/11/2013 01:34 PM CST
<Screams are an ability. I have no idea what Dragon's Breath is, how to use it, or what it does, but why is an ability that we earned being turned into a spell that we have to try to find a slot for? :(

Because all bard mojo is going to run off core magic. It has seemed to make bardic abilities better thus far, so its only fair that screams run through core magic as well. Plus a lot of guilds would kill for a stored TM spell. This guy would.
Re: Screams 12/11/2013 01:36 PM CST
> Because all bard mojo is going to run off core magic.

This is very wrong.
Re: Screams 12/11/2013 02:20 PM CST

What the heck is bardic lore going to do then?
Re: Screams 12/11/2013 06:20 PM CST
Clerics have Communes, Paladins have glyphs, Empaths have manipulate, Moon Mages have prediction, etc, etc. If damaging effects have to run through a combat skill, that's fine, but can we at least keep our non-damaging screams as screams? I would really hate to see every ability turned into prep/cast, prep/cast.
Re: Screams 12/11/2013 06:24 PM CST
>Clerics have Communes, Paladins have glyphs, Empaths have manipulate, Moon Mages have prediction, etc, etc. If damaging effects have to run through a combat skill, that's fine, but can we at least keep our non-damaging screams as screams? I would really hate to see every ability turned into prep/cast, prep/cast.

Bards will still have bluff and whistle, and are going to be getting lionize/satirize as BL abilities, and at some point there will be a performance system that bards will be primed to take advantage of with the performance requirement.
Re: Screams 12/11/2013 06:29 PM CST
The current plan for Screams is a spell called Voice of Thunder (Or Thunderous Voice, I flip flop terribly on which I like better) which will lie dormant on you with several changes. While the spell is active you can SCREAM blah blah syntax to be decided to release a scream attack instantly (Much like Dragon's Breath or Blufmor Garaen). You'll be able to vary this into a few different types of screams (Though some may require metaspells to activate, it depends on how exactly we decide to break up the slot cost).

-Raesh

Re: Screams 12/11/2013 06:31 PM CST

> This is very wrong.

Enlighten me. I thought enchantes were changed to run through core magic for better functionality and development. I know there's probably other things bardly that don't like every guild has, but I figured screams would change over to get the same function of being based around a core system. I am curious though, since I've played DR throughout different characters for a loooong time but never have bothered rolling up a bard.
Re: Screams 12/11/2013 06:33 PM CST
Bards will have a suite of abilities (Some existing, some not) that will run off Bardic Lore comparable to the prediction system and astrology, or communes and theology and so forth.

Screams are the only currently existing Bard ability that is turning into a spell.

-Raesh

Re: Screams 12/11/2013 10:30 PM CST
Thanks for the updates, Raesh. Scream concussive is currently more or less ineffectual, so scream havoc is the only real loss, but as somebody who relies on it heavily in PvP, it will be sorely missed when the time comes.

That being said, it makes sense that such abilities should be routed through TM/Debilitation for balance. I guess my only question is whether the new skills running off Bardic Lore are projected to have any sort of functionality in combat? Bluff dead and whistle piercing can be effective in PvE situations, but there's currently no practical use in terms of PvP.

As much as I love having tactics available to us now as a lore primary guild, I would love it even more if we would still have some alternate options (especially in PvP) available within our primary skillset.