Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 03:02 AM CST
So Socharis said a 3.1 folder will be available tomorrow, but I'm going to be difficult and post here til then haha. Did a few hours of testing tonight and figured I'd start a preliminary list of how things are looking from a Bard's perspective.

Some basic info about the Bard doing the testing:

*88th circle*
Elemental Magic: 535 24% enthralled (32/34)
Attunement: 508 20% enthralled (32/34)
Arcana: 416 00% clear (0/34)
Targeted Magic: 337 48% very rapt (31/34)
Augmentation: 473 87% perusing (2/34)
Debilitation: 421 07% clear (0/34)
Utility: 404 51% clear (0/34)
Warding: 367 88% learning (3/34)
Sorcery: 76 93% clear (0/34)

Spells I chose for the test instance:
In the chapter entitled "Fae Arts", you have notes on the Aether Wolves [aewo], Eye of Kertigen [eye], and Glythtide's Joy [gj] spells.

In the chapter entitled "Emotion Control", you have notes on the Albreda's Balm [alb], Abandoned Heart [aban], Whispers of the Muse [wotm], Faenella's Grace [fae], Rage of the Clans [rage], and Redeemer's Pride [repr] spells.

In the chapter entitled "Sound Manipulation", you have notes on the Demrris' Resolve [dmrs], Drums of the Snake [drum], Eillie's Cry [ecry], Harmony, Hodierna's Lilt [hodi], Naming of Tears [name], and Resonance spells.

In the chapter entitled "Elemental Invocations", you have notes on the Breath of Storms [bos], Caress of the Sun [care], Desert's Maelstrom [dema], Phoenix's Pyre [pyre], and Will of Winter [will] spells.

-Something is still buggy with the guildleaders and learning spells. I use Stormfront, so when I ask a guildleader about magic, a new window pops up for me to select spells in, but when I try to select a specific spell and learn it from that window, the system does not process it properly (seems like it's inputting an improper syntax, probably just forgetting to put "spell" after the actual spell name). Was able to learn the spells by closing the window and entering "choose hodierna's lilt spell" etc.

-Was told there were two new spells to play with, DALU and AOT? Haven't seen these as an option yet, but perhaps I was picking the wrong prereqs? Also, there doesn't seem to be any way to forget or unlearn spells we've picked, so I've been unable to test any of the spells that I didn't pick initially.

-Elemental Magic, Attunement, Augmentation, and Warding are all easily trainable for me by casting Harmony and NAME, and perceiving. I assume Arcana would be fine too, but I haven't had any cambrinth to test with yet. I'm not sure how to train Utility yet, do we have a non-cyclic Utility spell now?

-I was still able to lock TM by using PYRE or ABAN in dobek moruryns at 14 mana. Did not notice any other cyclics bumping any of my magics above 1/34.

-Likewise, I was unable to bump my debilitation above 2/34 when switching back and forth between casting DEMA and DMRS at 30 mana a piece. Only hit 2/34 momentarily, and basically had to spam cast and drain my mana pool to achieve that briefly.

-DMRS still seems effective, but DEMA seems a bit underpowered. I can appraise my opponents carefully to notice the discipline debuff, but the balance hit seems relatively minor. Example below:

(DEMA prepped at 30 mana, harnessed an additional 20 before casting)

You (very badly balanced) are facing a dobek moruryn (1) at melee range.
A dobek moruryn (1: nimbly balanced) is facing you at melee range.
A dobek moruryn (2: solidly balanced) is flanking you at melee range.
A dobek moruryn (3: solidly balanced) is behind you at melee range.
A dobek moruryn (4: solidly balanced) is behind you at melee range.

(You are also defending against a dobek moruryn.)
>
A dobek moruryn lurches forward to stab a pointed stinger at you!
The dobek moruryn's stinger lashes at you. You block the stinger with your target shield.
[You're battered, very badly balanced with opponent dominating.]
>
A dobek moruryn holds its clawed forlegs up in a "V" formation, challenging anything alive to enter into a duel.
>
* A dobek moruryn claws at you. You barely block with a target shield.
[You're battered, badly balanced with opponent in very strong position.]
>cast
You contribute your harnessed streams to increase the pattern's potential.
You clap you hands together, willing a conjuction of Air and Earth compressed in the rapidly decreasing space between. A series of small vortices rise up from the dust around you, which spiral outward in all directions as they build in size.
One of the swirling vortices slams into a dobek moruryn and encompasses it!
The remaining vortices lose their cohesion and fall apart as they extend away from you.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
>assess
You assess your combat situation...

You (badly balanced) are facing a dobek moruryn (1) at melee range.
A dobek moruryn (1: nimbly balanced) is facing you at melee range.
A dobek moruryn (2: nimbly balanced) is flanking you at melee range.
A dobek moruryn (3: solidly balanced) is behind you at melee range.
A dobek moruryn (4: solidly balanced) is behind you at melee range.

(You are also defending against a dobek moruryn.)

...and for the discipline debuff:
You are certain that it is definitely less disciplined than you are. (Before)

You are certain that it is quite a bit less disciplined than you are. (After)

Those are probably the most major things I've stumbled across thus far, but overall everything still feels very playable. Hope this helps and thanks to all the GM's that are pulling crazy hours to monitor all the mayhem.
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 04:55 AM CST
DALU and AOT should be available now in Test.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Magic, Sentients Team Member
Cleric Advocate
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 05:01 AM CST
Wait, when did 3.1 go into test? Did I miss a post somewhere?
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 05:51 AM CST
> DALU and AOT should be available now in Test.

Doesn't look like they are.

This doesn't look right:

> You sense the Glythtide's Joy spell upon you, which will last until you fail to provide 1020 mana for it.

I'm getting something similar with all the cyclics I try.

Found a typo in BotF:

> You give sudden voice to the melody dancing in your thoughts, as you release an accompaniment of elemental aether into the piece. The gently melodic tone of the introduction quickly gives way to to a luscious lyrical form.
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 06:13 AM CST
From the cast messaging for Sanctuary:

> The melody dancing in your thoughts suddenly spings into being around you, as you release an accompaniment of elemental electricity into the piece. You begin to resolve the light melody into a modal form, as a dome of light_ begins to structure itself around you in response.

"Spings", and an extra space after "light".
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 06:19 AM CST

"-Elemental Magic, Attunement, Augmentation, and Warding are all easily trainable for me by casting Harmony and NAME, and perceiving. I assume Arcana would be fine too, but I haven't had any cambrinth to test with yet. I'm not sure how to train Utility yet, do we have a non-cyclic Utility spell now?"

From 3.0 the only non-cyclic Utility spell we had was Ellie's Cry... not sure if that changes in 3.1.
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 06:23 AM CST
> From 3.0 the only non-cyclic Utility spell we had was Ellie's Cry... not sure if that changes in 3.1.

Nexus and Resonance.
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 06:31 AM CST
Two Nexus issue. First is this, where the only other person in the room was GM Testone:

> A sparkling cascade of melody heralds the beginning of the next verse, each note evokes a sympathetic spark in the colored lights around you as a flute and $T8 duet fairly well carry the theme.

Second, is it intended that until the first verse-change, you get the full strength boost no matter how many people are around?
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 06:33 AM CST
> each note evokes

Also, I think it should be "each note evoking" to avoid the run-on sentence.
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 06:57 AM CST
I thought Resonance was changing to be cast on the bard, rather than on the weapon? It's still cast on the weapon, although discern says it's a group/area spell. Also:

> You already have a Resonance spell in effect with another weapon, so the pattern fails.

Why can I only have it on one weapon at a time? Especially since I can't find a way to release it from the first weapon.
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 07:02 AM CST
Looks like the intelligent replacement effect we talked about for Misdirection didn't happen?
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 07:13 AM CST
A few problems with Rage. First, it isn't working with thrown weaponry; when I've got an SE/LT out, I only get the SE boost. Also, if you've got a weapon in each hand, it only boosts the one in your right hand. Also, shouldn't it boost brawling at all times, since you don't need empty hands to make a brawling attack?
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 07:35 AM CST
When recasting Drum:

> The rhythmic grace of Seldaren's swaying reminds you of your own movements.

The problem is that I'm Seldaren. I'm seeing myself in the third person.
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 08:01 AM CST
Also, it looks like Rage never goes back to a brawling buff. If you empty your hands, it just sticks on the last weapon you had out.
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 08:14 AM CST
> Sibilant singing from an otherworldy voice echoes softly through your mind. Your spirit feels less drained.

What was that? The only spell I have up is Word, which I don't think is supposed to cause spirit regen.
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 10:44 AM CST
These aren't specific to bards, but we've already got this nice thread here:

I thought debuffs were going to last longer in 3.1? Testing with a capped Misd in louts, I'm getting the same 42 seconds I get in 3.0.

Cyclic debuffs seem to be on the new cyclic experience curve. Shouldn't they get the same exemption that cyclic TM gets?
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 12:31 PM CST
The pulse-to-group spells aren't working correctly:

Rage: It isn't respecting 'cast self'. It doesn't pulse to group members, but instead only affects people who are in your group at the time of casting. On other people, it lasts until they are no longer in the same room with you, even if they've left your group. When other recipients perceive, they don't get the correct messaging for a pulse-to-group spell.

Drum: All the same problems as Rage.

Repr: It isn't respecting 'cast self'. It doesn't pulse to group members, but instead only affects people who are in your group at the time of casting.

Name: It isn't respecting 'cast self'. Otherwise, works correctly.
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 12:37 PM CST
> Name: It isn't respecting 'cast self'. Otherwise, works correctly.

Spoke too soon. I'm testing with my alt (henceforth known as AltGuy). This is from his perspective:

>join seld
You join Seldaren's group.

Seldaren's fearsome determination inspires you to stand fast and strong against all that assails you. The chaos of the outside world seems to fade into nothingness as a detached calmness settles over you, the sound of your heartbeat reverberating within you, pounding with conviction and unwavering resolve.

>pow
You sense the Courage spell upon you, which will last for about twenty-two roisaen.
Seldaren's fierce determination inspires you to stand strong against all that assail you, which should last so long as you remain in his group.
You sense the Rage of the Clans spell upon you, which will last for about seven roisaen.

Seldaren gestures.
Seldaren's languid movements inspire a sense of ease and confidence in your actions.
>pow
You sense the Courage spell upon you, which will last for about twenty-two roisaen.
Seldaren's fierce determination inspires you to stand strong against all that assail you, which should last so long as you remain in his group.
You sense the Drums of the Snake spell upon you, which will last for about ten roisaen.
You sense the Rage of the Clans spell upon you, which will last for about seven roisaen.

AltGuy's fierce determination continues to inspire you to stand strong against all that assails you, the chaos of the world around you seeming small and insignificant.

AltGuy's fierce determination inspires you to stand strong against all that assail you, which should last so long as you remain in his group.
You sense the Drums of the Snake spell upon you, which will last for about nine roisaen.
You sense the Rage of the Clans spell upon you, which will last for about six roisaen.

Slowly, the determination burning within you ebbs, the fierce pounding of your heart gradually subsiding.

>pow
You sense the Courage spell upon you, which will last for about twenty-one roisaen.
You sense the Drums of the Snake spell upon you, which will last for about nine roisaen.
You sense the Rage of the Clans spell upon you, which will last for about six roisaen.

Seldaren's fearsome determination inspires you to stand fast and strong against all that assails you. The chaos of the outside world seems to fade into nothingness as a detached calmness settles over you, the sound of your heartbeat reverberating within you, pounding with conviction and unwavering resolve.

>pow
You sense the Courage spell upon you, which will last for about twenty-one roisaen.
You sense the Rage of the Clans spell upon you, which will last for about five roisaen.

AltGuy's fierce determination continues to inspire you to stand strong against all that assails you, the chaos of the world around you seeming small and insignificant.

>pow
You sense the Courage spell upon you, which will last for about twenty roisaen.
AltGuy's fierce determination inspires you to stand strong against all that assail you, which should last so long as you remain in his group.
You sense the Drums of the Snake spell upon you, which will last for about eight roisaen.
You sense the Rage of the Clans spell upon you, which will last for about five roisaen.

Slowly, the determination burning within you ebbs, the fierce pounding of your heart gradually subsiding.

Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 12:43 PM CST
Also, this is a strange bug. Paladin was using TR. Somehow duplicate vortices were created, I got a free cast of courage(?!), and the vortex that hit the paladin lasted 4 minutes. Log follows:

>prep dema
Since you're not feeding enough power into the spell pattern to make it coherent, you quickly work your way to the minimum required.
That won't affect your current attunement very much.
You trace a careful sigil in the air, shaping the pattern of the Desert's Maelstrom spell.

>cast
You clap you hands together, willing a conjuction of Air and Earth compressed in the rapidly decreasing space between. A series of small vortices rise up from the dust around you, which spiral outward in all directions as they build in size.
One of the swirling vortices slams into Paladin and encompasses him!
The remaining vortices lose their cohesion and fall apart as they extend away from you.

Paladin seems to lose some of his verve.

One of the swirling vortices slams into Paladin and encompasses him!
One of the swirling vortices slams into AltGuy and encompasses him!

You feel your courage bolstered by your faith and determination.

You falter for a moment as your extra courage slips away.
You feel your courage bolstered by your faith and determination.

You ask, "Did you Courage me?"

Paladin says, "I did not."

>pow
You reach out with your senses and hear shining streams (13/21) of harmonious Elemental mana coursing through the area.
Concentrating harder on the sounds you hear, you can sense lambent mana (12/21) to the south, and glowing mana (11/21) to the north.
You feel a superficial manifestation of Redeemer's Pride upon you, which should last for less than a roisan.
You sense the Courage spell upon you, which will last for about thirty-nine roisaen.

You ask, "Did you have it on already?"

Paladin says, "I didn't."
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 12:44 PM CST
> You clap you hands together, willing a conjuction of Air and Earth compressed in the rapidly decreasing space between. A series of small vortices rise up from the dust around you, which spiral outward in all directions as they build in size.

Also, that should be "conjunction".
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 01:52 PM CST
>>Doesn't look like they are.

Fixed.

>>typo in BotF:

Fixed.

>>"Spings", and an extra space after "light".

Fixed.

>>a flute and $T8 duet

Fixed.

>>until the first verse-change, you get the full strength boost no matter how many people are around?

No, I'm not sure why it would be doing that, but I added something in that might fix it?

>> each note evokes

Fixed.

>>Testing with a capped Misd in louts, I'm getting the same 42 seconds I get in 3.0.

Fixed.

>>Courage thing

Was probably unrelated to DEMA, but I think the issue causing has already been fixed. My guess it was actually happening during a Redeemer's Pride pulse.

>>conjunction

Fixed.

I'll get into some of the more detailed issues later in day.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Cleric Advocate
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 03:40 PM CST
> No, I'm not sure why it would be doing that, but I added something in that might fix it?

Still happening. Log follows:

[The Crossing, Via Iltesh]
The lane is quite narrow here, with the sides of the Armorer's and Weaponsmith's shops encroaching on the path itself. Their huddling structures and the shady hedges and lunats that form this northern boundary of the Town Green cause slippery moss to grow upon the cobblestones and cast a cool, damp pall over this end of the street.
Obvious paths: north, south.

>pow
You reach out with your senses and hear luminous streams (14/21) of harmonious Elemental mana coursing through the area.
Concentrating harder on the sounds you hear, you can sense brilliant mana (17/21) to the south, and radiant mana (15/21) to the north.
You sense the Echoes of Aether spell upon you, which will last for about eighty roisaen.

>cast
You gesture.
Your silk belt emits a loud snap as it discharges all its power to aid your spell.
Your cambrinth sphere emits a loud snap as it discharges all its power to aid your spell.
A gently glittering series of colored lights appear in the air, winking in and out of existence around you, as the sound of a lone flute begins an ethereal melody.

>pow
You reach out with your senses and hear brilliant streams (17/21) of harmonious Elemental mana coursing through the area.
Concentrating harder on the sounds you hear, you can sense brilliant mana (17/21) to the south, and radiant mana (15/21) to the north.
You sense the Echoes of Aether spell upon you, which will last for about eighty roisaen.
You sense the Nexus spell matrix in the area.

A sparkling cascade of melody heralds the beginning of the next verse; each note evokes a sympathetic spark in the colored lights around you as a lone flute barely carries the theme.

>pow
You reach out with your senses and hear radiant streams (15/21) of harmonious Elemental mana coursing through the area.
You sense the Echoes of Aether spell upon you, which will last for about seventy-nine roisaen.
You sense the Nexus spell matrix in the area.
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 03:43 PM CST
From discern BotF:

> Additionally, you must know one of Aether Wolves or Glythtide's Joy.

From discern AeWo:

> Before you can learn this spell, you must know Glythtide's Joy.

So the AeWo requirement on BotF is meaningless.
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 04:03 PM CST
From discern DaLu:

> Before you can learn this spell, you must know Drums of the Snake. Additionally, you must know zero of Drums of the Snake or Faenella's Grace.

From discern AoT:

> Spoken, chanted, sung, it all becomes clear to you so long as you sustain this spell remain in effect

This makes it sounds like a cyclic, which it isn't. Also:

> Concentrating on the whispered phrases of "Aura of Tongues", you grow confident in your ability to understand the Haakish, Ilithic, Olvi, Toggish, Gerenshuge, S'Kra Mur, Gamgweth, Gorbesh, Prydaen, and Rakash languages, in addition to any others you already speak.

Olvio and Prydaenese.
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 05:07 PM CST
Where is a list of the song changes, and what they do, and what is required to use them, and...and..and.. what kind of songs they are?

~D
- - -
~Dreamheart Delaevan Forestwolf
Broken Bard since January 19, 2013 - 2 Dolefaren 407
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 05:41 PM CST
>>Where is a list of the song changes, and what they do, and what is required to use them, and...and..and.. what kind of songs they are?

The bard spell changes were highlighted here a month and a half-ish ago. The spells might have been adjusted more past that point, but that was the general adjustment rundown.

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Bards/General%20Discussions%20-%20Bards/view/2340

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 06:10 PM CST
A few things...

Will Eye of Kertigen even return to granting a light source effect? I know I've asked this several times and I just may keep missing the answer, but I'm pretty sure it's yet to be confirmed either way.

Have there been any changes to the current spell tree structure, or is the one on Elanthipedia's Bard page what we have here in test (and, ultimately, what's slated to go live)?

Will WotM still cost three spell slots in its new, nerfified form? And, now that it's been nerfed, will it still occupy its current place in the prerequisite tree?

In general, with the shuffling about of all the spells their slot costs, and changes to AoE magic, I'm rather confused and flustered about what spells have changed from 3.0 to 3.1, how costs have changed, and where it all ultimately leaves Bardic magic. (Though thanks, TEVESHSZAT, for the link you provided).

-Broichan Leshyahen

> hum tuneless
You hum a tuneless tune.
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 07:09 PM CST
Anomaly alert::>

Damaris Lullabye: ...
Before you can learn this spell, you must know Drums of the Snake. Additionally, you must know one of Drums of the Snake or Faenella's Grace. It will also cost four spell slots."

So, if I must know Drums, why is there anything additional?

~D.

- - -
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 07:31 PM CST
An issue with prereqs:

To learn BOTF, you must be circle 20 and know GJ or AEWO.
To learn AEWO you need to know GJ.

If AEWO is a prereq, it should just say AEWO. If AEWO isn't a prereq, it should just say GJ.

-Broichan Leshyahen

> hum tuneless
You hum a tuneless tune.
Choosing A Spell Requires No Confirm. 12/08/2013 07:39 PM CST
Maybe it is just Silvy, but considering spells are irrevocable choices, why is there no confirm?

You enter CHOOSE ...blah blah blah ...

And it's done. Whether you goofed or not.

I know in test, that can be undone, I was thinking forwardly. I've really never had multiple ones to choose anyway, we just took what Silvy gave us. But this is a whole new game now.

- - -
Re: Choosing A Spell Requires No Confirm. 12/08/2013 08:46 PM CST
Not to be too pedantic, but isn't the fact that you only use the word CHOOSE to choose a spell kind of a confirmation? Especially after the preview is done I think it would be annoying to have to enter commands over and over just to select a spell. I don't recall people having that much trouble on live with this, but I could be wrong.
Re: Choosing A Spell Requires No Confirm. 12/08/2013 09:59 PM CST
I really don't know, not having come from a guild where it mattered. I always had more slots than we had songs.

But everything else important we confirm, including things which CAN be undone. Feats, Techniques, etc.

I just thought since we were testing it, I would mention it.

~D

- - -
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/08/2013 10:40 PM CST
>>Nexus

Ok, really fixed this time.

>>AEWO/BOTF stuff

BOTF now requires GJ and either AEWO or LILT

>>DALU

AOT is supposed to be the other optional req, it should show up right now.

>>AOT Description

Ok, fixed it up a little.

>>Have there been any changes to the current spell tree structure

Couple of minor ones just now, but I wouldn't go about reworking the chart just yet. things may change again.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Cleric Advocate
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/09/2013 03:00 AM CST
>>I thought Resonance was changing to be cast on the bard, rather than on the weapon

Not that I know of, but I jumped into Bard spells a bit late.

>>although discern says it's a group/area spell.

Fixed.

>>Why can I only have it on one weapon at a time? Especially since I can't find a way to release it from the first weapon.

I added a few restrictions to keep it from being something you could hand off to others. I've also now added a way to have the effects cease, simply cast the spell at any mana on the weapon and the spell will end so you can then cast on a new weapon.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Cleric Advocate
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/09/2013 04:39 AM CST
> I added a few restrictions to keep it from being something you could hand off to others.

Making it cast on the bard instead of the weapon would accomplish the no-hand-off goal without restricting it to one weapon at a time, so it could be compatible with dual-wielding, which Kodius has been making more attractive recently.
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/09/2013 06:05 AM CST
Make it work like the Warrior Mage ignite spell. Its tagged to the specific weapon, but the actual effect is on the caster.

--

In memory of Lisa/Martee. Passed 6/17/2013. A friend. A sister.
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/09/2013 10:20 AM CST
>I've also now added a way to have the effects cease, simply cast the spell at any mana on the weapon and the spell will end so you can then cast on a new weapon.

I don't like this. This means that I have to wait for it wear off completely before recasting it, or each recast will have to be done twice.
Re: Bard 3.1 Testing 12/09/2013 02:04 PM CST
>> I don't like this. This means that I have to wait for it wear off completely before recasting it, or each recast will have to be done twice.

... exactly.

- - -