Meditate Research. 02/14/2014 10:33 AM CST

Looks like I am getting 2 tics now for meditate research <ability>, could be I was on the cusp of a tic and got some extras..who knows.

I do think it is odd, to be creating extra work, to work around a "fix"....however, overall, I see this as a plus, since I can now work my "IF" stuff out of combat, without burning IF.

Seems like a give and take situation.
Re: Meditate Research. 02/14/2014 02:00 PM CST
>>I do think it is odd, to be creating extra work

Fixing exploits and resolving unintended consequences of system designs always requires "extra work".

Simply put a decision was made that it should never be possible for players to earn EXP forever without danger and without inputting new commands.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Meditate Research. 02/14/2014 02:06 PM CST
>>Simply put a decision was made that it should never be possible for players to earn EXP forever without danger and without inputting new commands.

Exactly what I said a few posts ago. Having said all that why cant it be fixed in a manner that does not require adding layers of rt?

Put it in a exp "Cap" for each form. Let it run for X time teaching Z amount or do it PER tick up to X ticks giving so many bits of EXP per tick eventually tailing off to 0. Than put in a CD timer something reasonable for learning from that Form. If i want to run the form anyway for the benefits of the form SURE I can still do so but cant learn from it. I have no problem with that. Than restart down the road and learn again. Why add all the Meditate, research and symbiosis stuff? For magic users sort of kind of made sense but adding it to Thiefs and now Barbs its staring to make barbarians look like bookworms with spectacles on gathering dust among tombs in of a library.
Re: Meditate Research. 02/14/2014 02:12 PM CST

TIGARCLAW, you're mincing like four different systems here. Having FORMs grant xp like 3.1 cyclics has nothing to do with symbiosis/research/meditate research.
Re: Meditate Research. 02/14/2014 02:18 PM CST
>?TIGARCLAW, you're mincing like four different systems here. Having FORMs grant xp like 3.1 cyclics has nothing to do with symbiosis/research/meditate research.

Meditate X, Meditate Y etc does not strike you like Research at all? Forms run exactly like Cyclics do. Forms grant exp bits PER pulse like Cyclics do. If Cyclics can be put on a Cap so can Forms.
Re: Meditate Research. 02/14/2014 02:48 PM CST
>>Simply put a decision was made that it should never be possible for players to earn EXP forever without danger and without inputting new commands.

Currently, in 3.0, forms, zerks and meds all fall and require new commands to be input. Also, when they do fall, there is danger. It sounds like it wasn't your decision, and I am not dogging you. But the decision to squash cyclics and make magic a nuisance to train seems like we're going backwards, not forward. Also, it's pretty much not fun. We're already magic tert and we'll never keep up at level, so I don't see what the point is in making these systems so drastically tedious. On the other hand, I could care less if a magic primary guild is 34/34 all the time from cyclics. Also, I cannot talk for any other guilds that use magic, but for sure, our magic comes at an incredible cost -- IF.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Meditate Research. 02/14/2014 06:21 PM CST
>>Currently, in 3.0, forms, zerks and meds all fall and require new commands to be input. Also, when they do fall, there is danger.

That is EXACTLY how Dances and Berserks worked in 2.0 as well. Nothing new here except duration changes (some longer, some shorter).

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Meditate Research. 02/14/2014 06:32 PM CST
My point is we already are not learning EXP forever without inputting commands and risk of danger. I still maintain the cost of IF consumption and the lowered passive regeneration cap makes these abilities anything but free experience.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade