Observations / Questions 12/27/2013 01:23 PM CST
1. I was getting detailed power durations on MED POWER; I had STRATEGOS but I did not have POWERMONGER. I don't think this is intended but not sure.

2. Is the bonus IF from killing awarded by STRATEGOS a flat amount or a percentage?

3. Now that MONKEY is getting the pulsing balance boost and PIRANHA isn't, shouldn't piranha cost only 1 slot? Maybe I'm missing something.

4. Expertise training was good. Maneuvers seemed appropriately powerful. The bonus from PALMSTRIKE was more obvious than CLEAVE against a non-shield-using enemy (germish'din), which is expected.

5. Can you speak to the reasons for the 4-slot cost of our feats? MU feats cost 1 slot (apples and oranges, I know). Just curious.

6. ANALYZE FLAME was underwhelming, but it can be spammed for effect. Frustrating part about this is the undesirable attacks that are generated in the combo. There's only so many times I can slap / claw as a human before I lose patience. Now that our guild skill / abilities are tied to combos, I'm really wishing the combos were "smarter". I enjoy the "channeled" maneuvers much more, for what it's worth. Any chance we can get our barbarian-maneuvers converted into channeled instead of combos?
Re: Observations / Questions 12/27/2013 06:22 PM CST
Not sure on #1, I'll have to check.

The IF bonus is a %.

IIRC Piranha bonuses Evasion, and evasion is considered a more useful (and expensive) defense skill than shield/parry. Hence the 2 slot cost.

Good to hear on the Expertise training.

For the most part individual MU feats do wimpy little things. Barbarian feats are awesome, and cost appropriately. Masteries are intended to be grand achievements and not a piece of flair worn down to the spit shack.

What are the channeled maneuvers you are referring to? I've only released charged maneuvers to date. I can look into making the CLAW more intelligent depending on your race. SLAP is akin to JAB however, and shouldn't be removed.

Expertise wouldn't be as approachable without multiple avenues for learning it. Combos may not be "good" for you, but Charged/Situation/Channeled maneuvers are. Some may not like timing out the maneuvers, and so combos are more easily accessible for them (or they just like the cool bonuses).

On the chance you meant - Can the bonuses provided by completing a Barbarian combo be changed into a delayed-effect special attack with cooldown? No... That would open up a whole can of NERF on the Guild.

And I do plan to make Barbarian combos refreshable and re-viewable.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Observations / Questions 12/27/2013 09:53 PM CST
Thanks for the reply.

You were right, I used the wrong term there - I meant "charged" maneuvers instead of channeled. Slap seems to miss a lot for me, I don't know why. I didn't realize it's the jab analogue.

I totally get the need for multiple expertise training options and I'd be disappointed if there weren't. It's for that reason I brought it up - I'd like to see some of the barbarian-only stuff be charged. Right now it's all combos. Your point about combos enabling more powerful boosts, given the extra effort to complete, is well taken. I'm not yet convinced that the ANALYZE FLAME bonus warrants a combo, but my testing was limited. Really it's positive feedback: charged maneuvers are fun and I'm hoping for more of them and more excuses to use them when 3.1 releases.

I figured as much for the feats. 4 still feels harsh, for whatever my totally biased and less-informed opinion is worth :) But I feel better knowing the thinking behind it.

Another question: will Wildfire be keeping its +damage component in addition to +agility and -RT?
Re: Observations / Questions 12/28/2013 12:08 AM CST
No, Wildfire will only be -RT and +Agility. For weapon damage you can use Tsunami. I may add another expert Form that also modifies weapon damage in some way. Just need to think about it some more.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Observations / Questions 12/28/2013 08:58 PM CST

So this is going to sound very GvG. I don't mean it to be. But I thought slot cost was to stay similar across the guilds. Just certain guilds got less slots.

I refer to this.

>IIRC Piranha bonuses Evasion, and evasion is considered a more useful (and expensive) defense skill than shield/parry. Hence the 2 slot cost.

Necromancer for 2 Slots gain reflex/evasion. Philosophers preservation.

War mages for 2 slots gain Reflex/evasion. Swirling winds.

Bards for 3 slots get reflex/parry/evasion. Drums of the snake.

Empath for 2 slots get Evasion/brawling. Aggressive stance

Cleric for 2 slots get Evasion/defending. Major Physical Protection.

Paladin for 3 slots get Parry/evasion/shield. Sentinels resolve+veterans Insight Add on.

Ranger for 1 slot get evasion. Instincts.

It looks to me like Both evasion and Reflex are 1 slot ability's. Maybe it would be cool for Pirahna to keep the balance buff. And Monkey to stay 2 slots and be Reflex + offhand?

-Shanken
Re: Observations / Questions 12/28/2013 09:10 PM CST

Sorry the bard buff is actually called Harmony.
Re: Observations / Questions 12/28/2013 10:42 PM CST
Some corrections:

>War mages for 2 slots gain Reflex/evasion. Swirling winds.

Actually that one is 3 slots (although I thought the slot cost went up because of the stat bonus). I know that the spell tree is wrong, I just don't want to update it to change one number.

>Paladin for 3 slots get Parry/evasion/shield. Sentinels resolve+veterans Insight Add on.

I thought that changed back in november: should be shield, defending, and reflex now. I'll need to get out my paladin and test.

>Empath for 2 slots get Evasion/brawling. Aggressive stance
>Ranger for 1 slot get evasion. Instincts.

Also from november:

>Aggressive Stance Slots changing from 2 to 3
>Instinct - Updated to 2 slots.
Re: Observations / Questions 12/28/2013 11:36 PM CST
> Bards for 3 slots get reflex/parry/evasion.

4 slots.
Re: Observations / Questions 12/30/2013 04:10 PM CST
>I thought that changed back in november: should be shield, defending, and reflex now.

That's accurate; no more parry or evasion buff. I'd totally pay 2 slots for an evasion spell, though, if The Powers That Be are feeling generous.
Re: Observations / Questions 12/31/2013 01:50 PM CST
Documenting things I found in test last night that, as far as I know, weren't immediately fixed.

1. Yogi mastery doesn't appear to be reducing meditation RT.

2. If I switch weapons while tsunami is running, the buff does not move to the new weapon. If I then stop tsunami, the new weapon receives the buff for some time.

3. Meditate research earthquake gave aug experience (should be debil). Also, I didn't know earthquake at the time, if that matters.

4. Not a bug. Analyze intimidate seems like a mostly-pvp ability, as I've encountered few critters that retreat. Either way, I suggest that it either be changed to a charged maneuver or the combo be reduced to 1-2 steps. Completing 4 steps against a retreating target is painful. I don't see it being useful in its current form. Just a thought.

I'm very much looking forward to the 3.1 release.

JP
Re: Observations / Questions 12/31/2013 02:05 PM CST
>>3. Meditate research earthquake gave aug experience (should be debil). Also, I didn't know earthquake at the time, if that matters.

I don't think debil is ever meant to be taught like that.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Observations / Questions 12/31/2013 04:17 PM CST

Yeah I may be recalling this incorrectly, but I think Earthquake was... a weapon check for hitting and a debilitation check for unbalancing? And only trains Aug? I might have the checks backwards.

In any case, I'm think it needs a smidge of kajiggering.
Re: Observations / Questions 12/31/2013 09:43 PM CST
Earthquake gives debil exp when started. I haven't seen any exp awarded on its pulses, but it's hard to tell.
Re: Observations / Questions 01/01/2014 03:04 PM CST
Earthquake should now teach debilitation skill when researched.

Re: Observations / Questions 01/01/2014 03:06 PM CST
Tsunami looks to be working fine from here. It may take until the next pulse for the new weapon to get the enhancement. Waiting 10 seconds should be sufficient. Is it possible the change isn't large enough to show on the appraise?

Re: Observations / Questions 01/01/2014 03:08 PM CST
For now I'm going to not have Yogi reduce meditation RT. Meditating in combat is already a massive bonus, and one I "may" take some extra RT onto that due to the difficulty.

Also keep in mind that infused chakrel will reduce the meditation time more than normal chakrel, once I get around to adding it.

Re: Observations / Questions 01/01/2014 03:36 PM CST
Thanks Kodius. I'll play with Tsunami again. I was probably too fast on the appraises.

Yogi meditation RT: Can I beg for meditate power's RT to be reduced from Yogi at least?
Re: Observations / Questions 01/01/2014 03:36 PM CST
>>Earthquake should now teach debilitation skill when researched.

Given that no other guild can train debilitation outside of fighting things at their debilitation skill level, I'm hoping this will be reconsidered. My understanding is that debilitation (and TM) are both strictly combat-trained skills, and require you to be at-level training them.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Observations / Questions 01/01/2014 03:53 PM CST
The intent is to learn Debilitation in combat. The mechanism is to give one pulse when a the berserk starts, then meditate on it ever minute or 3 to keep learning vs stopping and starting.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Forging Guru of M'Riss
Re: Observations / Questions 01/01/2014 05:23 PM CST
>>The intent is to learn Debilitation in combat. The mechanism is to give one pulse when a the berserk starts, then meditate on it ever minute or 3 to keep learning vs stopping and starting.

My point is that if it can be done out of combat, and has no skill check tied to the critter you're fighting, it's against the current of how all debilitation training works.

If you can only do it while in combat against mobs that are at level with your debilitation skill, then that's fine.

Re: Observations / Questions 01/01/2014 06:23 PM CST
It was my understanding that the new MU RESEARCH options would allow them to learn debilitation out of combat?

Can't keep this stuff straight.

Re: Observations / Questions 01/01/2014 06:26 PM CST
>It was my understanding that the new MU RESEARCH options would allow them to learn debilitation out of combat?

I don't think that debilitation was mentioned as an option for research training. I thought it was just augmentation/warding/utility.
Re: Observations / Questions 01/01/2014 07:23 PM CST
>>It was my understanding that the new MU RESEARCH options would allow them to learn debilitation out of combat?

>>Can't keep this stuff straight.

It's okay! It's entirely possible that I'm just not aware of the magic user research stuff doing that.