1 3 Next Next_page
Re: Gwethsmashing an excellent tool for harassment and bullying: 05/20/2009 12:38 PM CDT
>Thomas Hobbes spoke of "The privilege of absurdity; to which no living creature is subject but man only."

And how lucky we are for this.

On a side note, am I the only one amused by the evolution of this thread from a complaint to snarky retorts to a discussion of textual ridiculousness to philosophy?
Re: Gwethsmashing an excellent tool for harassment and bullying: 05/20/2009 12:54 PM CDT
Hobbes obviously did not consider the platypus.

~Talo, Prydaen Barbarian~
Re: Gwethsmashing an excellent tool for harassment and bullying: 05/20/2009 01:49 PM CDT
Don't be fooled by the platypus! They're the ultimate creatures with amphibious abilities and poisonous claws all packed into that deceptively innocent/unthreatening disguise!

"When I grow up, I want to be a soulless monster trapped in a suit of enchanted armor and compelled into violent service for a commercial institution through torturous psychic conditioning." -- Armifer
Re: Gwethsmashing an excellent tool for harassment and bullying: 05/20/2009 03:26 PM CDT
No you
Re: Gwethsmashing an excellent tool for harassment and bullying: 05/20/2009 06:06 PM CDT
Why do the people that complain about gwethsmashers all sound ridiculous?

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Gwethsmashing an excellent tool for harassment and bullying: 05/20/2009 06:33 PM CDT
>Why do the people that complain about gwethsmashers all sound ridiculous?

Why do you think they were smashed in the first place, thereby prompting their complaint about gwethsmashers?
Re: Gwethsmashing an excellent tool for harassment and bullying: 05/20/2009 06:46 PM CDT
I've seen all of like, one well-written and thoughtful complaint about gwethsmashers, and Armifer took the time to respond to that one personally.

And shockingly, the guy responded saying his perspective had changed as a result.

So basically, what Rmel said.

Rev. Reene

The black panther growls, "Are you blind Tachid? Kill Caelumia."
>
Tachid says, "SHE HAS BLUE FIRE"
Re: Gwethsmashing an excellent tool for harassment and bullying: 05/20/2009 08:15 PM CDT
makes sense.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Gwethsmashing an excellent tool for harassment and bullying: 05/21/2009 04:43 PM CDT
Mmmm ur name sounds delic. Now I want manicotti for dinner and I'm not gonna get it :(
Re: Gwethsmashing an excellent tool for harassment and bullying: 05/26/2009 01:07 PM CDT
> I've seen all of like, one well-written and thoughtful complaint about gwethsmashers, and Armifer took the time to respond to that one personally.

> And shockingly, the guy responded saying his perspective had changed as a result.

Wow! A compliment. Thanks Reene! ^^ Can I use that as my sig? ^^

I am a sucker for logic. I'm strange that way. If it sounds logical, I will consider your argument. Armifier did just that, AND took the time to respond directly. Of course, if you go into an argument unwilling to accept the possibility that you are wrong or that there is another way to look at things, then you can't expect others to. I choose the former.
Re: Gwethsmashing an excellent tool for harassment and bullying: 05/26/2009 01:10 PM CDT
BTW: FGAGNON is my other account. Don't want to look like I'm taking someone else's credit. :)

~ The mysterious cleric
Gwethsmashing Policy needs changing 06/01/2009 07:20 PM CDT
Earlier today I was gwethsmashed today by a player who had been mildly harassing me. In my opinion I did not say anything over the gweth which would warrant the smash; rather, the player used this mechanism to express his annoyance with me for other interactions.

Right now, at the rate that I play and gain money, it would take me about a week to replace my gweths. In my opinion, it is incredibly unfair - especially to "younger" and more casual players like myself - that some random bloke can decide to use a gwethsmasher in this way, causing me to have to waste my time for a week replacing the gweths. It doesn't help that gwethsmashing grants consent, considering there is no way I could kill this fellow. And even if I DID kill him I would still have to waste a week replacing the items he destroyed.

If GM's could at least have the option to consider a player's circumstances in replacing gweths after a gwethsmash, then I don't think this would be an issue. However, the current policy enables bullying. The fact that I now have to waste a week trying to replace items which can be instantly destroyed by another player on a whim is very frustrating.
Re: Gwethsmashing Policy needs changing 06/01/2009 07:22 PM CDT
This thread needs to go in the Equine Cemetery. This issue has been hashed and rehashed way past death

Cute verbs and speaking from hiding are excellent ways to catch a lightning bolt in the face regardless of mystical ninja abilities.

-Armifer
Re: Gwethsmashing Policy needs changing 06/01/2009 08:15 PM CDT
I could actually see an argument for temporarily setting a smasher to Open in light of the upcoming change to stealing and profile, but yeah, getting smashed is part of being on the gweths. At this point almost all gwethsmasher discussions go right to the cemetary.

The pulzone lands a powerful strike that pokes the steel-tipped pulzone into the gryphon's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
The steel-tipped pulzone lodges itself shallowly into the forest gryphon!
Re: Gwethsmashing Policy needs changing 06/01/2009 08:24 PM CDT
>>I could actually see an argument for temporarily setting a smasher to Open in light of the upcoming change to stealing and profile, but yeah, getting smashed is part of being on the gweths.

I could see it for Gwethsmashing, thumping, and first strike (that's not just a Paladin thing). How far it'll go remains up in the air, however.

-Armifer
<Kvlt> Step 1: Want stuff! Step 2: Be ambitious! Step 3: Believe in the ability of your fellow man to carry you to heights you are too incompetent to reach alone.
Re: Gwethsmashing Policy needs changing 06/01/2009 09:12 PM CDT
Hi, and welcome to the wonderful world we call Elanthia! You seem to be confused with the "MU" part of the term MUD. It means Multi-User. That means that you may have to interact with others. Some of these may include the friendly Empath who takes your wounds onto themselves. Some may be the Master Player Bard, entertaining you while you enjoy your ale (or other spirited or non-spirited beverage).

However, not all of these other people are going to have your best interest at heart. Some may be brigands trying to make off with your money. Some may be crotchety old timers who think you youngsters have it too easy. Some may even just plain not like you for any particular reason. Interacting with these kinds of people and others are what makes Elanthia "Real", and fun. After all, what good is a story without a bad guy?

>>In my opinion I did not say anything over the gweth which would warrant the smash

Allow me to direct you to a quote from news 2 26:

>>There does not have to be a justification for a smashing. Having Consent does not guarantee you will get your satisfaction. It guarantees you the option to attempt it, not success. That said, the entire system is being monitored closely for abuse.

>>Right now, at the rate that I play and gain money, it would take me about a week to replace my gweths.

Heavens to Betsy! A whole WEEK?!?

>>In my opinion, it is incredibly unfair - especially to "younger" and more casual players like myself - that some random bloke can decide to use a gwethsmasher in this way, causing me to have to waste my time for a week replacing the gweths.

If you can't afford those Gweths[J and K Gweths], there are always the limited use Gweths, whose names escape me at the moment.

I understand you feel wronged, but you have not presented any solid reasoning/justification for why it [Policy] should be changed. All you have posted is a whine that you got smashed and didn't like it.

-TG, TG, & GL, et al.
Re: Gwethsmashing Policy needs changing 06/01/2009 11:08 PM CDT
>>the friendly Empath who takes your wounds onto themselves.

You obviously haven't been to the Crossing Empath Guild's Infirmary lately.
Re: Gwethsmashing Policy needs changing 06/01/2009 11:35 PM CDT
>> You obviously haven't been to the Crossing Empath Guild's Infirmary lately.

I've found them all quite friendly.

I'd also love to see the gweths that actually lead up to this.

Rev. Reene

Reene: tie a scimitar to your fist.
Kystrk: that would just be unrealistic
Reene: because jump kicking someone from hiding and vaporizing their skull is super realistic
Kystrk: I was wearing footwraps
Re: Gwethsmashing Policy needs changing 06/02/2009 04:04 AM CDT
>> You're not the first person this has happened to obviously, as this thread was moved to "over-discussed" folder.

Primarily because most of the threads start as hysterical, illogical, poorly-worded whines that were prompted by the poster being gwethsmashed - and ironically, the reason they were likely gwethsmashed is often revealed in their posting style.

Gwethsmashers are not going away, period, so yeah, it's a dead horse.

>> Gweths are likely made in bulk by the same group of people who make gwethsmashers, so you would be supporting the enterprise that griefed you.

You have no evidence it was griefing. You have no evidence of what actually happened at all, as no log was provided, merely a biased one-sided account that smacks of the typical "I didn't do anything wrong" mentality. Is it possible they really didn't do anything wrong and were completely 100% innocent bystanders? Sure, but you and I both know that isn't usually the case - and by this person's own admittance they had an ongoing conflict with the person.

I would agree that they should probably not bother with gweths if they are going to complain like this though. We will all be happier.

Rev. Reene

Reene: because jump kicking someone from hiding and vaporizing their skull is super realistic
Re: Gwethsmashing Policy needs changing 06/02/2009 04:36 AM CDT
You're right I have no evidence on whether or not what the OP said was true.

But I have seen it happen myself to players.. who aren't noobs, but in the younger/casual bracket range, for no good reason at all.

Last time I tried to point it out, my post got misinterpreted and derailed to..

"noobs shouldn't have gweths anyways"

or

"they should learn proper gweth etiquette"

The point is that they may not be noobs, just not the hardcore bunch, and that they get smashed for no good reason at all, so learning proper gweth etiquette is useless.

---
"All models are wrong, some are useful." -George C. Box
Re: Gwethsmashing Policy needs changing 06/02/2009 04:38 AM CDT
The thing is, what do you call no good reason?

Are you willing to post logs of what actually happened? I notice these are conspicuously absent in threads like this.

Rev. Reene

Re: Gwethsmashing Policy needs changing 06/02/2009 04:44 AM CDT
No good reason

-A sincere request for help on a quest..

-A very polite and cordial request to stop aggressive behavior.

I don't save logs, because I figure gwethsmashing is not likely to change, and that logs can be doctored, and also no one cares. But if you want, next time I see it happen I'll send you the log.

---
"All models are wrong, some are useful." -George C. Box
Re: Gwethsmashing Policy needs changing 06/02/2009 04:48 AM CDT
Protip: Don't butt into other peoples' fights. It means you are implicitly getting yourself involved.

By all means save logs. I'm interested in seeing the context for these claims of rampant reasonless gwethsmashing.

Rev. Reene

Re: Gwethsmashing Policy needs changing 06/02/2009 05:44 AM CDT
These threads make me chuckle. I wish people would hand these 'casual/newer players' an albredine ring to let them practice with before setting them loose on the masses with a set of gweths.

The pulzone lands a powerful strike that pokes the steel-tipped pulzone into the gryphon's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
The steel-tipped pulzone lodges itself shallowly into the forest gryphon!
Re: Gwethsmashing Policy needs changing 06/02/2009 07:04 AM CDT
Sometimes people do gwethsmash for no good reason. The price of having a player moderated system is some abuse.

I'm not saying that's what happened in this case. Just that there's no need to attack the fellow.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/huldahspal/flyingcompany.png
Re: Gwethsmashing Policy needs changing 06/02/2009 10:09 AM CDT
Thanks, everyone, for your responses. Primarily, I posted this so that it would get read by the simu folks, but your responses have been helpful. Another player has kindly donated new gweths to me, and indeed I've found players to be overwhelmingly nice and helpful in DR. It's one of the main reasons I've kept coming back to it ever since it was on AOL.

>> Interacting with these kinds of people and others are what makes Elanthia "Real", and fun. After all, what good is a story without a bad guy?

I really appreciated this comment, and I appreciate the incredible attention to detail which makes the game feel more real. Beyond this gwethsmashing incident, DR provides a number of avenues for negotiating conflict while keeping the game immersive and fun, and I love that.

It seems to me that the issue at hand is negotiating the balance between realism and fun. Because it is a game after all, and presumably we're meant to have fun in real life while playing it. If the game were completely "real" than novices could be stolen from and a high-powered player could kill them with little fear of consequences. That's not the case, probably in part because it would be seriously not fun to have your throat slit and money taken as soon as you were finished creating your character.

The only other method I know of for "policing" DR is thumping, and in my opinion that's a great option. It doesn't have any long-term effect on the thumpee and it gets your point across. (BTW if there are other options, I would love to know them).

But gwethsmashing is different in that it instantly destroys someone's in-game property. (As far as I know, there is no other game mechanism which allows this.) DR policy is basically that gwethsmashing is automatically a NOGM issue, and as Grim has pointed out, gwethsmashing can be done for any reason whatsoever.

As far as I know, this differs from the policy on killing - I understand that you need consent to kill someone, and that you can't go around killing people just because you feel like it and that such killing will always be a NOGM issue. It's not fun to have someone going around killing people just because they feel like it. In my opinion, it's also not fun to have someone going and destroying your property for no reason whatsoever.

>>Heavens to Betsy! A whole WEEK?!?

That's the crux of the matter. Gwethsmashing - destroying someone's in-game property - allows players to "steal" real-life time from others. Just as the consequence of being killed is needing to spend time (usually an hour at most) getting rezzed, or departing, or whatever, the consequence of having your property instantly destroyed is that you must spend time replacing it. In my case, it would take at least a week of grinding. A week may not be important to you, but it's important to me.

I don't have a lot of time to sit back and relax. But I like to spend a good portion of my free time on DR. It's a great way to have fun after a long day. However, the idea that I would have to spend an entire week of my free time grinding instead of actually having a fun time in a game is absurd.

(By the way, even if I chose not to replace the gweths, as some have suggested, I have still "lost" the time spent getting the original gweths in the first place.)

If gwethsmashers merely prevented you from gwething for an hour, or if GM's could elect to replace your gweths, then the realism and fun of the system would be in balance. Even having the gweths merely lose a charge would be better than what's in place now. Has gweth "thumping" been tried in DR? I'd be curious to know if it has been tried, and why it was rejected.

Thanks again everyone for your feedback.
Re: Gwethsmashing Policy needs changing 06/02/2009 11:07 AM CDT
Okay I held my water as long as I could on this one. Here is some feedback for ya.

QUIT WHINING!

Now if you are done complaining, there are gweths out ther that work just fine that are free, critters drop em. Bend over pick one up put it on and gweth to your hearts content. Your week is now free.

You should really rp the conflict out rather than complain, I mean honestly. From the sounds of things you rpeed with whomever smashed you over the gweth and when they smashed you it stopped. Continue the RP, go chat with em. Make it into the RP game that you are playing. SO you lost a gweth you might actually gain a friend by doing so. Some of my best friends started out as enemies in the game and now we are closer than ever. Some not all will rpee it with you, take a chance.

As for there is no consequence for gwethsmashing someone, they might be better in skill but there are numerous ways ingame to have fun with it. Find me and I will be happy to advise you of these.

I like the smashers as they are, and they should be used much more often IMO. I also loved the fact that Tachid was smashed!!!

Anyway, quit griping about your precious gweths and go have some fun with the smasher!

Miv
I would rather have an intelligent enemy than a stupid friend.
Re: Gwethsmashing Policy needs changing 06/02/2009 11:45 AM CDT
>>As far as I know, this differs from the policy on killing - I understand that you need consent to kill someone, and that you can't go around killing people just because you feel like it and that such killing will always be a NOGM issue.<<

This is not true. Nobody needs "consent" to kill anyone else. There are people who have their PROFILE set to open... they can be killed at any time for any reason. There are other people who have their PROFILE set to guarded, and they can be killed if the RP situation warrants it. And then there are people who are going to kill you anyway, because it is fun for them, and they don't care if you report, assist, or anything else. These are few and far between, but they are out there.

My personal philosophy on this is, even if you get killed for absolutely no reason, NEVER report. EVER. Consider it a hazard of the game you are playing, and RP your way through it without running and whining to the GM's.

While some people may think that just because you pay a monthly subscription fee and everyone should be all care bear huggy smoochie toward you all the time... This is unrealistic in the extreme. Conflicts occur. People die. Stuff gets stolen and/or graverobbed. Gweths get smashed. So what? Learn to RP in the good times and in the bad, and you'll find yourself enjoying the game more thoroughly.

If it helps, just think of yourself as the fluorescent light in the buglamp of life.

- GM Dartenian
Re: Gwethsmashing Policy needs changing 06/02/2009 11:59 AM CDT
>The only other method I know of for "policing" DR is thumping, and in my opinion that's a great option. It doesn't have any long-term effect on the thumpee and it gets your point across. (BTW if there are other options, I would love to know them).

CURSE, and I think SHUN is still around. SHUN is an enigma to me though.
Re: Gwethsmashing Policy needs changing 06/02/2009 03:02 PM CDT
Thank you Miv, dguthrie2, and tktempest for your responses. For me, the issue is closed and I won't be checking back here much, if at all. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to write a response, and thanks especially to the player who helped me out in game. Have fun, and I'll see you in DR :)

p.s. Miv, I hope you find a way to get your water back.
Re: Gwethsmashing Policy needs changing 06/02/2009 04:38 PM CDT
Regardless of whether I agree with the opinions of HIGGINBOTHAMD6/Frazzarang, I found his/her posts to be thoughtful and composed, as far as these things usually go, and I liked that. Taking the posts at face value and assuming they are sincere, in my opinion they are (in combination) a good example of making an honest complaint, accepting the responses to it, pro and con, without getting drawn into the usual molestation of a horse carcass.

So, good job.

~Brian/Bahb
Re: Gwethsmashing Policy needs changing 06/02/2009 07:30 PM CDT
>Sometimes people do gwethsmash for no good reason. The price of having a player moderated system is some abuse.

I've had my gweths smashed a couple times by only one person. One of which was not for a very good reason IMO.
Re: Gwethsmashing Policy needs changing 06/02/2009 08:01 PM CDT
I got smashed by krugler once. I was pretty pissed. I thought it was a perfectly reasonable statement on the gweths. I got pissed and bought like 5 more gweths and continued to needle/berate him over the gweths for a week. I also started using dropped gweths. Needless to say I got smashed at least 5 times that week. It turned out to be a pretty fun adventure and my character swore vengeance and a bloody murder.

It turned violent at one point, but I don't remember exacty what happened, but a friend of mine was there. He asked what happened so I sent him logs of the original gweth smashing.

He then pointed out that I was probably smashed because I used a :) at the end of my gweth thought. Oops.

Morale? People don't just randomly gweth smash. There was/is probably a good explanation that you just don't see.

Words are things, and a small drop of ink, falling like dew upon a thought, produces that which makes thousands, perhaps millions, think.

- Lord Byron
Re: Gwethsmashing Policy needs changing 06/02/2009 10:03 PM CDT
>>Moral? People don't just randomly gweth smash. There was/is probably a good explanation that you just don't see.<<

Yup. I got smashed when I first returned to prime. I used an "LOL" over the gweth, realized it immediately and tried to cover my backside by saying "LOL is short for lollygagging around, which is what I'm doing right now..." Boom. Smashed. Tercsyn was the culprit and it was no big deal. Lesson learned, and never repeated again. Overall a very positive experience for me.

If it helps, just think of yourself as the fluorescent light in the buglamp of life.

- GM Dartenian
Re: Gwethsmashing Policy needs changing 06/03/2009 04:45 AM CDT
I don't smash, and never been smashed.

But, the gweths are much, much better than they were 3-4 years ago.
Re: Gwethsmashing Policy needs changing 06/03/2009 07:07 AM CDT
i got smashed for asking for help for someone completely unrelated to me that was dead in rossmans. also by krugler. I don't like the idea that people can just smash for no reason at all, although I do have perma-gweths, not for reasons of gwethsmashers, but because of the jail system. Even with the new justice systems of "everything wearable in the sack" where you don't have to spend time getting dressed <thanx Z> the guards are still heavy-handed enough that it uses up a gweth charge when you end up in jail.

It's a number, it gets bigger. That's the whole DR experience right there
Re: Gwethsmashing Policy needs changing 06/03/2009 09:16 AM CDT
<<i got smashed for asking for help for someone completely unrelated to me that was dead in rossmans.>>

Actually, you got smashed because people don't like you.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Gwethsmashing Policy needs changing 06/19/2009 12:58 PM CDT
My not have the gwethsmasher only hit one charge of the gweths, I'm pretty sure that a youngster or kind young person that just bought some gweths that to Them are expensive, just to have them destroyed with IE no recourse. (complaining about gweths can't kill the smasher, no money so can't hire someone todo it) You could leave in the timers on it, I believe it's 1 hour before you can use another gweth? Give's them warnings about what they are doing with slight penalties, I'm sure they probably wouldn't complain so much either...

Hurray for bad grammer.
Re: Gwethsmashing Policy needs changing 06/19/2009 01:46 PM CDT
on a happy note though, i finally got my "revenge" on zukir <for his part in the raid of our old "orphanage" via usage of gwethsmash. I guess if you can't stab 'em, smash 'em?

although for so doing, he sent the guards up to leucros to nab me and deported me to aesry, and charged me with "crimes against the state". meh. :-). I would have been willin' to spar in the savage pit, but oh well.

So, guess i won't be in zoluren for a bit.

It's a number, it gets bigger. That's the whole DR experience right there
1 3 Next Next_page