Not Getting It 08/16/2010 03:30 PM CDT
It is Monday. 6300 ranks just jumped off a cliff.

Stunning.

Sanguious
Re: Not Getting It 08/16/2010 03:36 PM CDT
heh, should start putting their names on here. Than point them in the direction of the forums to embarress them some. ::chortles::

Jim
Re: Not Getting It 08/16/2010 04:46 PM CDT
Correction. Make that 13900 ranks. I posted prematurely.

Sanguious
Re: Not Getting It 08/16/2010 04:46 PM CDT
wow, that was a large increase there.
Re: Not Getting It 08/16/2010 04:48 PM CDT
would it be possible to also get the number of characters caught each week?
Re: Not Getting It 08/16/2010 05:33 PM CDT
>>would it be possible to also get the number of characters caught each week?

My guess is no because it's too similar to this request.

http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=1&topic=31&message=663
__
* Sahfra was just struck down!
Tachid smugly says, "I'm telling Lyras. We should replace you.
Re: Not Getting It 08/16/2010 05:34 PM CDT
>>would it be possible to also get the number of characters caught each week?

No. I can certainly get a total on the number of warns for the week, but have no intention to say how many characters are involved in these incidents.

To give that answer ahead of time, 22 warnings under the unattended gains rule were made in the past 7 days.

Sanguious
Re: Not Getting It 08/16/2010 05:47 PM CDT
I almost got nailed last week because the check was so vague that I mistook it for stuff I usually don't bother reading. You know, the "Two Halflings walk by exchanging recipes while talking about the cooking contest that starts in a half hour at x destination." type messages. If the GM doing the check hadn't put some things in all caps I would have failed and was sitting right there chatting in whispers.

In short, it would be nice if they all stood out enough that people who are really there would notice them in a room full of forage, hunting, or MD spam.

How blessed are some people, whose lives have no fears, no dreads, to whom sleep is a blessing that comes nightly, and brings nothing but sweet dreams. -Bram Stoker's Dracula
Re: Not Getting It 08/16/2010 05:49 PM CDT
>>If the GM doing the check hadn't put some things in all caps I would have failed and was sitting right there chatting in whispers.

IIRC, the initial nudges are semi-IC, but the ones you get before an actual caution/warning/whatever are pretty much all caps blocks of text saying "ARE YOU THERE WAKE UP"
Re: Not Getting It 08/16/2010 05:55 PM CDT
I got checked once and didn't notice it right away. It started pretty IC and small and got to the point where it was about as noticeable as a giant pink flying elephant. (At which point I exclaimed "Oh **!" and responded.)

This idea may have worked in another time and another place, but here it immediately fell on its face and went "Durp durp." - Armifer
Re: Not Getting It 08/16/2010 06:03 PM CDT
I had a busty barmaid run by and give me a glance once. In the middle of gryphons. It got my attention. Anyway, yeah.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Not Getting It 08/16/2010 06:30 PM CDT
Glemm, let's be honest here. Any girl who glanced at you would have gotten your attention, even if she was flat chested and had a five o'clock shadow.

How blessed are some people, whose lives have no fears, no dreads, to whom sleep is a blessing that comes nightly, and brings nothing but sweet dreams. -Bram Stoker's Dracula
Re: Not Getting It 08/17/2010 08:21 AM CDT
<<I almost got nailed last week because the check was so vague that I mistook it for stuff I usually don't bother reading.>>

And because you responded, the check didn't escalate to the "no way you'll miss this" stage.

You passed, so there was obviously no reason to go further. You wouldn't have missed the "last chance" portion.

Solomon

Be our Facebook Pal!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/DragonRealms/60215414412
Re: Not Getting It 08/17/2010 08:53 AM CDT
>You wouldn't have missed the "last chance" portion.

Thanks for the response on that and that's good to know. I had this vision of goofing off in whispers and suddenly finding myself in jail.

Re: Not Getting It 08/17/2010 09:16 AM CDT
<<Glemm, let's be honest here. Any girl who glanced at you would have gotten your attention, even if she was flat chested and had a five o'clock shadow.>>

Fair enough. :/

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Not Getting It 08/17/2010 11:29 AM CDT
I failed a check on one of my characters a while ago. It starts minor and escalates to bright yellow capital letters so often you can't miss it.
Re: Not Getting It 08/17/2010 11:41 AM CDT
I feel the need to say that most script checks, while totally unmissable by the end, do NOT end in yellow text. So don't figure if you don't see yellow you can't be busted, and don't try and use that as an excuse when you do get busted.

-Raesh
Re: Not Getting It 08/17/2010 11:51 AM CDT
I guess mine was just special then.
Re: Not Getting It 08/17/2010 11:59 AM CDT
<<You wouldn't have missed the "last chance" portion.

A friend just recently had a script check. They went through the logs and did not find any 'last chance' messaging. It was only the same one-line message repeated over and over, in a room of 12+ critters and 3 people hunting, until they were yanked away. An email received later stated that Simu does at least 100 messages on 'busy' rooms, my friend received 54 (in a room that had hundreds of lines flying by). What got their attention was the bright yellow text they got -after- they were pulled up.

Necromancy brings out the Stupid in us all. -Armifer
Re: Not Getting It 08/17/2010 12:03 PM CDT
We're not going to discuss your friend's script checks. They're welcome to contact Feedback if they'd like to dispute the Warning, however.

Solomon

Be our Facebook Pal!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/DragonRealms/60215414412
Re: Not Getting It 08/17/2010 12:56 PM CDT
I'm merely using it as an example to counter your statement that "You wouldn't have missed the "last chance" portion" as there is not always a 'last chance' portion.

Necromancy brings out the Stupid in us all. -Armifer
Re: Not Getting It 08/17/2010 02:22 PM CDT
>> I'm merely using it as an example to counter your statement that "You wouldn't have missed the "last chance" portion" as there is not always a 'last chance' portion.

If things aren't appearing as norm, there is probably more going on. I would bet a lot of money that your friend had plenty of "normal" script checks that he/she safely avoided. But after averaging 20 hour game days and defeating normal script checks, they went with a more subtle approach and he/she got caught. Meaning her/his script check didn't catch it.

Just sayin.
Re: Not Getting It 09/06/2010 10:16 PM CDT
>>I'm merely using it as an example to counter your statement that "You wouldn't have missed the "last chance" portion" as there is not always a 'last chance' portion.

That's because the actual mechanics of script checks are pretty nebulous, while the guidelines say it needs to build from whatever it starts at to fairly unmissable.

I ended up getting spammed with a single, OOC, obviously out-of-place line when I was in a room with 8 critters and one other hunter about 45 times before I responded (as the line simply got more frequent instead of more interesting).

I tend to just watch for my highlights and definitely don't pay attention to combat text -- or anything paced relatively similarly to combat text -- so it would be easy to miss something that's not breaking the usual pattern of what is going on in the room.

I'm not saying colored text is a must, but at least hitting something that would be highlighted by someone who is prepared to be responsive to their environment would do a lot for actually testing whether someone is responsive to the environment, and not if they're glutton enough to read every line of text. Like 'says.' Or 'waves.'
Re: Not Getting It 09/07/2010 08:42 AM CDT
what really is frightening, is the lack of the use of OOC verbs such as "report" when you are stuck in certain situations.

SCRIPTTEST: please wave if you are awake.

Character >wave
you attempt that, but end up in an invisible box...rt 10 sec

character> report I'm here
.. you attempt that, but end up in an invisible box...rt 10 sec

Kill 2 birds with one stone and allow certain OOC verbs such as REPORT, no matter what. :-)

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: Not Getting It 09/07/2010 10:17 AM CDT
We can tell what you're trying to do in those circumstances even if you're in a weird state.

-Z