afk scripting 01/19/2010 10:39 AM CST
Give them the zombie title or perhaps "the empty headed (name here) and force their profile to pvp open for a month the first time and increasing time amounts after that. I'd say longer for the first offense but as one who as honestly afk scripted by accident I think a month is enough for the first offense.

Athanasius

The views of Athanasius do not necessarily reflect the views of all characters on this account.
Re: afk scripting 01/19/2010 11:09 AM CST
>>Give them the zombie title or perhaps "the empty headed (name here) and force their profile to pvp open for a month the first time and increasing time amounts after that. I'd say longer for the first offense but as one who as honestly afk scripted by accident I think a month is enough for the first offense.

I don't know how many times we have to go over this. All this would do would be encourage players to mess with these people, which GMs don't want us to do. If you think they're AFK scripting report them, which is what GMs want us to do.
Re: afk scripting 01/19/2010 11:50 AM CST
"If you think they're AFK scripting report them, which is what GMs want us to do."

I so agree with this, I have much better things to do than go around and script check people. Many folks do not afk script some do let the GM's sort it out.

Miv
I would rather have an intelligent enemy than a stupid friend.
Re: afk scripting 01/19/2010 06:34 PM CST
>>I so agree with this, I have much better things to do than go around and script check people. Many folks do not afk script some do let the GM's sort it out.

A hundred times over.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: afk scripting 01/19/2010 07:01 PM CST
>I so agree with this, I have much better things to do than go around and script check people. Many folks do not afk script some do let the GM's sort it out.

GM inflicted penalty is several orders of magnitude worse than 'omg i liek drugged him off and broked his scirpt'.

Anyone who thinks they're 'hurting' the character more than them failing a GM script check fails. And if they can pass, they just weren't interested in talking to you.

Or had really, really, good triggers.
Re: afk scripting 01/20/2010 06:06 PM CST
>>Or had really, really, good triggers.

Just wondering, if during a script check the character logs? is that a fail?

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: afk scripting 01/20/2010 09:08 PM CST
Yes. Or at least, was stated in the past as yes. I highly doubt it's been changed to No since then.

-Master Ndin
Re: afk scripting 01/25/2010 06:52 PM CST
Correct answer is, it can be. We can tell when there's something fishy going on (like autolog triggers). You might get away with it once or twice, but logging to avoid will end up a failure.
Re: afk scripting 01/27/2010 11:06 AM CST
Mobile app alerts you whenever something unexpected repeatedly happens "to you" "at you" et cetera, so that you can respond both to non-GM script police and genuine script tests. Once caught a test which didn't do anything to me, but had a phrase about "you think that you should SWAT it" or somesuch--whew, close call!

I mean, it used to be that afk scripting was like a foerfit the game kind of offense; now, it's "five yard penalty, first down."
Re: afk scripting 01/27/2010 11:12 AM CST
If it's determined that you're using a mobile app to script or defend against checks, I can safely say that this will not result in happy things happening.

The following things will be happening, however:

Script checks will change
Script-check durations will decrease for repeat offenders
Penalties will increase for repeat offenders

Solomon

Fight me:
http://la-bubbita.mybrute.com
Re: afk scripting 01/27/2010 11:14 AM CST
If you used a genie trigger to automatically send back anything that comes into the game window in ALL CAPS, you'd pass almost every script check I've seen. Unfortunately I didn't and I've missed them and it sucks when you do.
Re: afk scripting 01/27/2010 11:17 AM CST
<<If you used a genie trigger to automatically send back anything that comes into the game window in ALL CAPS, you'd pass almost every script check I've seen. Unfortunately I didn't and I've missed them and it sucks when you do. >>

Noted.

We'll just fix that, then.

Might I point out that we're not going to allow further discussion on how to avoid script checks and violate policy.

Although, I guess we could, and then just mark down account names for everyone that is offering solutions and suggestions and start dishing out Warnings.

Solomon

Fight me:
Re: afk scripting 01/27/2010 11:35 AM CST
Hey, if I didn't want script checks to be harder and more effective at catching afk scripters, I wouldn't publish my techniques. It pisses me off to PvP people who outrank me because of their afk-scripting and anti-script-checking prowess. I actually had one little griefer log out while I was attacking him (he was hunting, and I ambushed) and then have the nerve to tell me to attack him while he was "in the open" and not while he was scripting. LOL! I told him hot to plan on scripting if he was going to start a conflict with me. His solution: run his noncombat stealth scripts instead.

!orz
Re: afk scripting 01/27/2010 11:51 AM CST
>>If it's determined that you're using a mobile app to script or defend against checks, I can safely say that this will not result in happy things happening.

If you're responding then you're responsive. I don't understand how this is any different than me sitting at my desk reading a book while a sound trigger does the same thing, or even watching my script run and responding. What's the difference?
Re: afk scripting 01/27/2010 11:52 AM CST
<<If you're responding then you're responsive.>>

If you're responding within the time we feel is adequate, then yes, you're responsive.

Solomon

Fight me:
Re: afk scripting 01/27/2010 11:53 AM CST
>>If you're responding within the time we feel is adequate, then yes, you're responsive.

But you're saying that if you respond within the time you feel is adequate but doing it from a mobile device then it's not OK. This is what I don't understand.
Re: afk scripting 01/27/2010 11:56 AM CST
>If you're responding within the time we feel is adequate, then yes, you're responsive.

Does this mean you can pass a script check, but still fail because you responded during minute 9 of a 10 minute-long check?

Or... something else?

-Master Ndin
Re: afk scripting 01/27/2010 11:58 AM CST
>>If you're responding then you're responsive. I don't understand how this is any different than me sitting at my desk reading a book while a sound trigger does the same thing, or even watching my script run and responding. What's the difference?

I took it as using a mobile app to alert you to pay attention because a script check is going on because your AFK scripting is against policy....because it's AFK scripting.

Re: afk scripting 01/27/2010 12:00 PM CST
>I took it as using a mobile app to alert you to pay attention because a script check is going on because your AFK scripting is against policy....because it's AFK scripting.

What he's asking is, what's the difference between using a mobile app to respond, versus watching TV in another room with a sound trigger on his computer? Both allow him to respond in adequate time.

-Master Ndin, who doesn't even own a cell phone at all.
Re: afk scripting 01/27/2010 12:02 PM CST
>>I took it as using a mobile app to alert you to pay attention because a script check is going on because your AFK scripting is against policy....because it's AFK scripting.

The policy, as I understand it, is that you must be responsive to the environment, not that you necessarily have to be ATK. As I said, there's no real difference between me going and reading a book and responding to checks, people talking, ect. from a sound trigger or something similar and me responding to the same things from a mobile device.
Re: afk scripting 01/27/2010 12:02 PM CST
>>What he's asking is, what's the difference between using a mobile app to respond, versus watching TV in another room with a sound trigger on his computer? Both allow him to respond in adequate time.

Nothing. Solomon just responded specifically about using a mobile phone to do it because that was what the discussion was about.

Re: afk scripting 01/27/2010 12:05 PM CST
>>The policy, as I understand it, is that you must be responsive to the environment, not that you necessarily have to be ATK. As I said, there's no real difference between me going and reading a book and responding to checks, people talking, ect. from a sound trigger or something similar and me responding to the same things from a mobile device.

Yeah I understand that it says "you must be responsive" right. But AFK scripting is against policy, just because you have ways to be responsive at the right times doesn't make it right.

Re: afk scripting 01/27/2010 12:09 PM CST
Re-Read the scripting policy and I was wrong. You do have to be responsive but it also does specify that you can't be AFK.

But honestly they can't tell the difference so I guess the moral of this story is, if you're using a mobile app to be responsive, don't tell them you're doing that.
Re: afk scripting 01/28/2010 06:57 AM CST
AFK scripting isn't against policy in TF... Just sayin'

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

You flat out, absolutely, 100% have no idea what you're talking about.

Solomon